This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Nick's Functional Fitness

Started by Freeflyer, August 29, 2010 · 230 Replies · 12,562 Views

Alvaro
Nick_EOD said:

[*]I think I have been going about a lot of these all wrong. Instead of doing the adv tuck half front pulls I should have been doing the easiest variation straight body I can do fully extended. For example, I find the full body levers to be harder that what I did today, and cranks to be harder as well. I think from now on, on exercises like these, I am going to go back to the easiest variations in the book until I can do them perfectly, before moving on to more advanced versions (even in the easier mods of them)... I hope in the long run this will make me stronger all around and mean I have to spend less time on tuck version when I get to them.

Well I noticed that too, is much better (far much better) to stick to the easiest variation or even (in my case) some times regular push ups or pull ups (for the WODs) in order to maintain the volume at the adequate point. Gains have gone much much better this last 4 months...

Freeflyer

WEEK 2

DAY 5 (12)

WOD found here

Warm Up:

  • [*:1kdhnem2]10min Jump Rope
    [*:1kdhnem2]6 BTN Pullups, XR dips
    [*:1kdhnem2]1min aggregate freestanding Handstand -longest hold was 10sec twice
    [*:1kdhnem2]Band (rotational) shoulder prep
    [*:1kdhnem2]Knee Prep

WOD:

  • [*:1kdhnem2]Front Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x100lbs, 7x3x140lbs
    [*:1kdhnem2]3 Sets: Basic Ring Strength series - As seen in video, rounds one and two with -10lbs from pulley, rnd 3 unassisted.
    [*:1kdhnem2]5 Rounds:
    15sec Adv Tuck FL
    15sec XR Strap HS
    15sec German Hang with partial "L"

Notes:

  • [*:1kdhnem2]I've decided to add the HS to all warm ups now. It is such an integral part of gymnastics and there is no excuse for me not having it. I will up the time once my holds are consistently 30sec freestanding
    [*:1kdhnem2]Legs were feeling pretty fatigued today when I started my squat warm ups, so I decided instead of trying to go heavy again today, I would back off the weight and reps, but add multiple extra sets. Hopefully Monday will be back on track.
    [*:1kdhnem2]Video is of my final ring series set. It was also my first unassisted ring strength series ever. Previous two rounds were the same sequence but with the pulley taking off 10lbs. Will put my own comments beneath the video itself.

Freeflyer

_f39CuB3XJE

  • [*:pmbiw8d6]3rd round of Ring Strength Series 1. First time I've ever tried a ring series unassisted
    [*:pmbiw8d6]Muscle up is obviously very sloppy. I am still using the pulley to achieve a perfect no momentum muscle up. Was still happy I could do it with with no momentum from a full hang, even if I ended up doing one arm at a time.
    [*:pmbiw8d6]First time I've recorded my ring skills. My BL was really really ugly, and I and going to go back to adv tuck and tuck depending on duration. I guess that pulley gave me a false sense of ability on the lever :/
    [*:pmbiw8d6]I think my Adv Tuck FL is looking alright
    [*:pmbiw8d6]I know my grip on both levers should palms down, but unfortunately my weakness prevents me from maintaining that as i come down from my support. When I work them alone, I do them palm down. Hopefully that will transfer over eventually.
    [*:pmbiw8d6]I've been trying to do a little "L" on my german hangs, like at the end there, because otherwise I have to tuck my knees to avoid the floor.
    [*:pmbiw8d6]Please feel free to give me all the advice or criticism you want. I've got pretty thick skin, so be real.

Razz

Hey Nick, hope you're doing well and that your hard work with the job was worth it :)

During your BLs you should go back a notch and retract your scaps and don't squeeze on your lats.

Besides that, I think you caught most of the mistakes yourself :D

Freeflyer

Thanks, Razz, I will hopefully remember to video my next ring strength series as well. Hopefully I will have a nicer MU and back lever on that one.

WEEK 2

DAY 6 (13)

Warm Up:

  • [*:2us1y5np]2000m row - 8:12
    [*:2us1y5np]1min cumulative freestanding Handstand - no holds under 5 sec today :)

WOD:

2 rounds:

  • [*:2us1y5np]10 XR Shrugs
    [*:2us1y5np]10 Inv. XR Shrugs
    [*:2us1y5np]10 Y-front raises - 10lbs DBs ea.
    [*:2us1y5np]10ea Bent over side raises - 10lbs DB
    [*:2us1y5np]15 Scapula Push Ups
    [*:2us1y5np]10 tuck front pulls
    [*:2us1y5np]10 Cuban Press - 45lbs barbell
    [*:2us1y5np]10 DB Flye - 25lbs ea

  • [*:2us1y5np]2 x 30sec German Hang "L"

Freeflyer

WEEK 3

DAY 1

WOD Found Here

Warm Up:

  • [*:7czau74u]1000m Row - 3:47
    [*:7czau74u]6 BTN Pull Ups
    [*:7czau74u]1min total handstand time - 3 14-15sec holds today :)
    [*:7czau74u]DB BP: 1x10x20lbs ea, 1x6x30lbs ea, 1x3x40lbs ea

WOD:

  • [*:7czau74u]Front Squat: 1x10x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 2x5x167.5lbs, 4x2x167.5lbs (sets of two done with <1min rest ea)
    [*:7czau74u]3 sets: 15sec Adv Tuck BL, 6 Assisted OAC (3ea)
    [*:7czau74u]3 sets: 15sec Frog stand, 5 DB BP - 5x50lbs ea (1st set), 5x55lbs ea (2nd,3rd set)
    [*:7czau74u]3 sets: 15sec Adv Tuck FL, 5 Half Lay Body Levers

Notes:

  • [*:7czau74u]In a hurry today so did an abbreviated warm up
    [*:7czau74u]OACs done one, switch sides, one, switch sides and so on
    [*:7czau74u]Ran into some staying power problems on last set of FS so decided to do more sets with less reps :/
    [*:7czau74u]FL done in good false grip. It is getting stronger, but still not strong enough to hold in BL

Freeflyer

WEEK 3

DAY 3 (17)

Did 1 1/2 hours of combatives training this morning. About 45min of boxing, 45min of JiuJutsu

Warm Up:

  • [*:1xfyz1vv]10min Jump Rope
    [*:1xfyz1vv]10 PPPu, 10 XR Row
    [*:1xfyz1vv]6XR dips, 6 BTN Pull Ups
    [*:1xfyz1vv]1min total handstand - 1 24sec hold

WOD:

  • [*:1xfyz1vv]Deadlift: 1x11x55lbs (UH), 1x8x145lbs (UH), 1x5x195lbs (UH), 1x3x235lbs (OH), 2x3x300lbs (MX)

Notes:
  • [*:1xfyz1vv]I was feeling a little soreness that I don't trust in my right elbow and left forearm so I decided to skip the gymnastics WOD today. It was supposed to be dynamic pushing, and it sounded like a recipe for pain in my elbow. As long as I am pain free, I will just push the WOD back to the next day, this friday.

Freeflyer

I think I just found one of the greatest recipes of all time: Enter the Meatza

Freeflyer

WEEK 3

DAY 6(20)

Warm Up:

  • [*:omri034k]10min Jump Rope
    [*:omri034k]10 PPPu, 10 XR false grip rows
    [*:omri034k]6 XR Dips, 6 Close Grip Chin Ups
    [*:omri034k]1min total handstand
    [*:omri034k]Shoulder prep - bands
    [*:omri034k]Knee Prep

WOD:

  • [*:omri034k]Front Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 4x3x170lbs
    [*:omri034k]Shoulder Prep - pushing
    [*:omri034k]Wrist Prep
    [*:omri034k]Shoulder Prep - pulling
    [*:omri034k]hands, wrist, elbow prep that Mr Brady posted

  • Notes:
    [*:omri034k]This was supposed to be on friday, but I spent most of the day working underwater, and was pretty tired by the time I got home. Did it saturday instead
    [*:omri034k]Skipped the GB WOD again, because my arm still isn't 100% and I really don't want to injure myself. Figured lots of joint prep would be a good replacement though.
    [*:omri034k]Next week there wont be any weighted leg movements. Gonna give them a rest by doing lots of higher rep low weight type stuff instead.

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 1 (22)

Spent a lot of time doing flips of the side of a boat and doing semi muscle ups back in. Some more time diving out of said boats while going 20+ mph. And swimming laps back and forth on the skin of a destroyer both on the surface and underwater (in SCUBA gear). Pretty much no planned WOD because it was such a long day, but was super active anyways. Sometimes those are the best workouts, haha.

Freeflyer

I don't know what it was yesterday, but I am sore all over today. Especially my neck and hip flexors. Probably the whole jumping into the water at high speeds thing...

WEEK 4

DAY 2 (23)

GB WOD found here

Warm Up:

  • [*:19nv3gwz]Row 1000m - 3:51
    [*:19nv3gwz]10 PPPu, 10 close grip rows (on single bar)
    [*:19nv3gwz]6 PB dips, 6 BTN Pull ups
    [*:19nv3gwz]1min total handstand
    [*:19nv3gwz]Shoulder prehab - pushing

WOD:

3 rounds of: (2min rest between rounds)

  • [*:19nv3gwz]20 box jump - 18in
    [*:19nv3gwz]6 SLS (3 ea)
    [*:19nv3gwz]10 Lateral over the box jumps (18inx18in)

4 rounds of:

  • [*:19nv3gwz]10sec PB Low L-sit
    [*:19nv3gwz]7 Germans
    [*:19nv3gwz]10sec PB Low L-sit
    [*:19nv3gwz]3 Russian Dips, 2 PB Dips
    [*:19nv3gwz]10sec PB Low L-sit
    [*:19nv3gwz]3 Box HeSPU

Notes:

  • [*:19nv3gwz]Not doing any weighted legs this week, kinda giving them a rest
    [*:19nv3gwz]I had to work out at work today because I don't have dip bars at home yet and needed them for the majority of today. Unfortunately I am a little embarrassed to do wrist push ups in front of people I work with because I have to do them on my knees still. Pretty much the whole wrist series is for me. So I didn't do it today for that reason... sad I know... did them at home later though at least.
    [*:19nv3gwz]Since I dont have an L-sit yet i just got rid of the tuck PL part and made the L-sit longer. Hopefully I get it some day.
    [*:19nv3gwz]Working out outside when it is 103*F is a serious kick in the balls....

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 3 (24)

  • [*:2zimljjt]2 mobility WODs
    [*:2zimljjt]1.25mi run - 8:30
    [*:2zimljjt]P90X Stretch

I realized my mobility sucks and is actually starting to suffer. So I am going to start doing 1-2 days/week of an hour stretch routine, and try to do at least 1 Mobility WOD/day.

if anyone can suggest a different 30-60min stretching routine that may be better than the P90X one, I'd love to know. It's not to bad, but feels lacking for some reason. There is very little active flexibility in it.

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 4(25)

WOD found here

Warm Up:

  • [*:2sixehry]5min Jump Rope
    [*:2sixehry]10 PPPu, 10 False grip XR Row
    [*:2sixehry]6 XR Dips, 6 Close Grip Chin Ups
    [*:2sixehry]1min Handstands
    [*:2sixehry]Wrist Prehab
    [*:2sixehry]Knee Prehab

WOD:

  • [*:2sixehry]1x7, 1x5 Cast Wall Walks
    [*:2sixehry]5 Wall Tuck Press Handstand
    [*:2sixehry]5min messing around with various press to headstand and handstand to see what I could do
    [*:2sixehry]9 cycles of 30sec on, 45sec off XR Plank (feet elevated)

Notes:

  • [*:2sixehry]Short Workout today, no legs because of time
    [*:2sixehry]Scaled XR Handstands to XR Planks since my elbows are nowhere near ready for that volume. I can only do a strap XR HS for about 20sec with bent elbows

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 5 (26)

GB WOD Here

Mobility WOD, wrist and Elbow Prehab earlier in day

Warm Up:

  • [*:326zoe1v]5min Jump Rope
    [*:326zoe1v]10 PPPu, 10 False Grip XR Row
    [*:326zoe1v]6 XR Dips
    [*:326zoe1v]1min Handstands
    [*:326zoe1v]Shoulder Prehab - Pulling

WOD:

2 Rounds of:

  • [*:326zoe1v]10 Box Jump/Depth Jump - 39in
    [*:326zoe1v]6 SLS (3 ea)
    [*:326zoe1v]10 Broad Jump Deck Squats

4 Rounds of:

  • [*:326zoe1v]2 Body Levers - Bent knee lay
    [*:326zoe1v]5 TOPs Pulls - Adv Tuck
    [*:326zoe1v]2 Body Levers -bent knee lay
    [*:326zoe1v]3 Wide Grip Pull Up - tuck "L"
    [*:326zoe1v]2 Body Lever - bent knee lay
    [*:326zoe1v]1 8-12' rope climb (kinda sucked at these)

Notes:

  • [*:326zoe1v]

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 6 (27)

Went to a RKC stlye kettle bell class today. It was an hour long, but it was the introductory class so it wasn't very intense. Mostly just learning the movement correctly with a short WOD at the end.

Instructor is a RKC Team Leader, so that is pretty cool. I think I am going to start trying to get at least 1 or two workouts a week in there.

Quick Start Test Smith

Congrats on starting KB classes! Kettlebells are superb! :D

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 7 (28)

Did two Mobility WODs today as well as P90X Stretch. Also ordered Pavels two stretch books, super joints and relax into stetch, as well as Enter the Kettlebell. Hopefully they help me develop a gooa mobility routine as well as some good supplementary KB work to my GB training.

Freeflyer

WEEK 5

DAY 2 (30)

Did an hour long KettleBell class this morning. Wow my legs are fried... My quads were so sore after the squat pyramid that I had trouble holding the elbow plank position, not because my core was too weak, but because my legs gave out. That was a first for me, lol.

I also apparently am quite lacking in the form department on my swings. And here I always though I was doing them at least alright. Glad I started these classes and get to learn the right way.

Yesterday was supposed to be a workout day... but I spent most the entire day in bed with really bad hangover... I haven't drank much recently and sunday night was just waaaay to much tequila... Ugh, remind me to never forget how many drinks i've had again... Thank god I was pounding water all night as well, or it would have been a lot worse.

Freeflyer

WEEK 5

DAY 2(30)

GB WOD here

  • [*:p4pbrn9i]Did two Mobility WODs during the middle of the day

Warm Up:
  • [*:p4pbrn9i]5min Jump Rope, 20 KB swings - 24kg (mostly just to work on form)
    [*:p4pbrn9i]10 Diamond Push ups, 10 False Grip Rows
    [*:p4pbrn9i]6 XR Dips, 6 BTN Pull Ups
    [*:p4pbrn9i]1 min handstands (held a 30sec one today! although I still do walk a bit...)
    [*:p4pbrn9i]Shoulder Prehab - bands
    [*:p4pbrn9i]Knee Prehab

WOD:

  • [*:p4pbrn9i]2 Sets of: Muscle up :arrow: Support (5sec) :arrow: Roll to Inverted Pike :arrow: Adv Tuck BL (5sec) :arrow: Inverted Hang (5sec) :arrow: 90/90 FL (5sec) :arrow: Inverted Pike :arrow: Adv Tuck BL (5sec) :arrow: Inverted Hang (5sec) :arrow: 90/90 FL (5sec) :arrow: Roll back to German L Hang (10sec)
    [*:p4pbrn9i]3x3 foot assisted Muscle Ups
    [*:p4pbrn9i]5 rounds of: 15sec Adv Tuck FL, 15sec Ring Plank (RTO, feet above elbows), 15sec German L Hang

Notes:

  • [*:p4pbrn9i]Could not do a muscle up on the 3rd ring strength series, so I did 3x3 of mucsle up work, being sure to go slow through the transition, since it is my weak point. Muscle up on first series was very smooth though.
    [*:p4pbrn9i]Scaled XR Handstand waay down. I don't want to even go to support until 60sec XR Plank is easy, and XR HS is just beyond my skills at the moment.
    [*:p4pbrn9i]Meant to record ring strength, but it was too dark by the time I started :/ Hopefully next time I get it while it is still light out.

Freeflyer

WEEK 5

DAY 4(32)


  • [*:1gpqred0]Did another hr long Kettlebell class this morning. Once again smoked me pretty good. I thought I hated thrusters with a barbell. I've found an even greater nemesis...
    [*:1gpqred0]2 Mobility WODs

Warm Up:

  • [*:1gpqred0]5min Jump Rope
    [*:1gpqred0]10 PPPu, 10 False Grip XR Row
    [*:1gpqred0]6 XR Dips, 6 Close Grip Pull Ups
    [*:1gpqred0]1min total handstand time
    [*:1gpqred0]Wrist Prehab
    [*:1gpqred0]Knee Prehab

WOD:

2 Rounds of:

  • [*:1gpqred0]10 XR Shrugs
    [*:1gpqred0]10 XR Inv Shrugs
    [*:1gpqred0]10 Y raises - 10lbs DB ea
    [*:1gpqred0]10 Bent Side Raises - 10llbs DB
    [*:1gpqred0]20 Scap Push ups
    [*:1gpqred0]10 Tuck Front Pulls
    [*:1gpqred0]10 Cuban Press - 45lbs Barbell
    [*:1gpqred0]10 DB Flyes - 25lbs ea


  • [*:1gpqred0]Some L-sit and Muscle up work to finish it off

Notes:

  • [*:1gpqred0]Well, I can feel myself improving, even if slower than I would like. So I suppose as long as I am getting stronger and losing fat, I can't complain too much
    [*:1gpqred0]My L-sit is still pathetic. My quads cramp, I can feel tightness in my lower back, and I just cant get my legs up to 90... Even at my pathetically low hang I can only hold it for a few seconds. I would go back to Tuck L-sit, but I only feel them in my abs, they don't seem to really work the areas that trouble me. Hope to have this by the seminar though.

Freeflyer

WEEK 5

DAY 5 (33)

GB WOD Here

  • [*:9c9t7xjw]2 Mobility WODs today

Warm Up:
  • [*:9c9t7xjw]5min Jump Rope, 20 KB swings - 24KG
    [*:9c9t7xjw]10 PPPu, 10 false grip XR Rows
    [*:9c9t7xjw]6 XR Dips, 6 BTN Pull Ups
    [*:9c9t7xjw]1min Total Handstand
    [*:9c9t7xjw]DB Bench Press - 1x8x25lbs ea, 1x5x35lbs ea, 1x4x45lbs ea

WOD:

3 Rounds of:

  • [*:9c9t7xjw]15sec Tuck BL + 5 Tuck FL Rows
    [*:9c9t7xjw]15sec XR Support, 15sec Low-straight L-sit + 5 DB BP 55lbs ea
    [*:9c9t7xjw]15sec Adv Tuck FL + 5 Half HLL

  • [*:9c9t7xjw]10 Bridge Wall Walks

Notes:
  • [*:9c9t7xjw]Good news is most things seem to be feeling a little easier. So I guess that means I am improving at least a little bit.
    [*:9c9t7xjw]Bad news is i once again forgot to do any sort of tempo on the FBEs. I did them as controlled as I could, but it wasn't the prescribed tempo. I have a bad habit of forgetting that.
    [*:9c9t7xjw]FL feels kinda weird, like I am a little uneven latterly. My wife didn't notice it, but it looks like it from my angel. Maybe I will get a video up on the near future.

Freeflyer

WEEK 5

DAY 6 (34)

  • [*:2x712hp3]Hour Long Kettle Bell class.
    [*:2x712hp3]2 Mobility WODs

Freeflyer

WEEK 6

DAY 1(36)

WOD Found Here

  • [*:tj1qgpng]Had about 75min of Combatives training this morning. Boxing, some clinch work and grappling. Good workout. Unfortunately most people I work with are still stronger than me, so I get muscled a lot, but I am more flexible than any of them, so they hate grappling me, since I can usually swing my legs in unexpected ways to keep them in the guard.

Warm Up:
  • [*:tj1qgpng]Kettlebell drills: 20 swings - 24kg, 10 cleans ea arm - 16kg, 5 Turkish Getups ea side - 16kg, ladder 1-6 ea 1 arm swings continuous with switches - 16kg
    [*:tj1qgpng]10 PPPu, 10 False Grip XR Row
    [*:tj1qgpng]6 XR Dip. 6 Close Grip Chin Up
    [*:tj1qgpng]3 assisted muscle ups
    [*:tj1qgpng]1min Handstand
    [*:tj1qgpng]Knee Prehab
    [*:tj1qgpng]Wrist Prehab

WOD:

  • [*:tj1qgpng]Front Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 3x5x155lbs
    [*:tj1qgpng]1x8, 1x3 Cast Wall Walks
    [*:tj1qgpng]3x4 Pike Press to Headstand - head elevated 18in
    [*:tj1qgpng]2x3 Wall Tuck Press to Handstand
    [*:tj1qgpng]10min Wall Runs - 10min total time, 5:30 spent actually doing wall run

Notes:

  • [*:tj1qgpng]Adding in Muscle Up work to warm ups since a good smooth muscle up is a goal of mine before the seminar
    [*:tj1qgpng]Front Squats are back in after the hiatus to let me legs "rest." Intentionally starting lighter than I left off and I am going to add weight slower now as well: 5lbs/week. I think this will lead to less stalls and more solid gains overall. I think I am finally over getting strong now, and looking at getting strong always.
    [*:tj1qgpng]Significantly scaled the Wall runs. That is about all I could do before my head popped though. I think it's good enough for now. Maybe in a few months I will be able to do 10min total without taking all day, lol.

Freeflyer

WEEK 6

DAY 3 (38)

Warm Up:

  • [*:165qy3cd]5ea Kettlebell C&P - 16kg, 10ea Kettlebell Snatch - 16kg, 5ea Kettlebell Turkish Get Up - 16kg, 15ea 1-arm Kettlebell swing - 16kg
    [*:165qy3cd]10 PPPu, 10 XR false grip FL Row
    [*:165qy3cd]6 XR Dips, 6 BTN Pull UPs
    [*:165qy3cd]3 assisted Muscle Ups

WOD:

  • [*:165qy3cd]Deadlift: 1x11x45lbs(UH), 1x8x135lbs(UH), 1x5x185lbs(UH), 1x3x225lbs(OH), 2x3x285lbs(OH)
    [*:165qy3cd]5 Rounds: 30sec Kettlebell swings - 24kg, 30 sec row. No rest

Notes:

  • [*:165qy3cd]Elbow was hurting really bad yesterday, I think from the handstand workout the night before. So i rested yesterday (kinda, since work was pretty active...). Elbow felt pretty good today, but I decided not to press my luck and moved the pushing WOD back to friday, since it is pushing that made it hurt. Small amount of pushing in warmup felt fine, no pain.
    [*:165qy3cd]Was very short on time today after working 13hrs, so I kept the workout brief but fairly intense.
    [*:165qy3cd]Scaled deadlift back as well to kinda start over and grow slower with it. I want gains I can continue to make, and that will stay.

Freeflyer

WEEK 6

DAY 5 (40)

Warm Up:

  • [*:3mrawvxk]Kettlebell drills - 16kg: 5 Clean and Press ea. arm, 10 snatch ea arm, 5 turkish getup ea arm, pyramid 1-5-1 single arm swings ea arm
    [*:3mrawvxk]10 PPPu, 10 XR False Grip Row
    [*:3mrawvxk]6 XR Dips, 6 close grip chin ups
    [*:3mrawvxk]1min in freestanding handstand
    [*:3mrawvxk]3 assisted muscle ups
    [*:3mrawvxk]knee prehab
    [*:3mrawvxk]Wrist Prehab

WOD:

  • [*:3mrawvxk]Front Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 10x3x155lbs (1:30 rest between sets)
    [*:3mrawvxk]10 Rounds: 30sec Kettlebell swings - 24kg, 30sec jump rope - single unders

Notes:

  • [*:3mrawvxk]held off on the pushing WOD again. Really don't want to injure my elbow at all. Still got a good work out in though. Kettlebell swings are great on the back.