This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110516

Started by Coach Sommer, May 16, 2011 · 18 Replies · 3,478 Views

Coach Sommer

pwCv1Yjb8MI

Complete four rounds:

2 – Front Pulls

5 – FL Pulls

2 – Front Pulls

3 – Wide Grip Pull-ups in L-sit

2 – Front Pulls

1 – 15’ Cirque

notes:

1) Note that for today’s GB WOD, you will be performing 2 Front Pulls in between each of the assigned FBEs.

2) Adjust the body position as necessary during the Front Pulls. It is not necessary to use the same body position for both the ascent and descent.

3) The FL Pulls should be performed with a slow deliberate motion.

4) Focus on full range of motion during the Wide Grip Pull-ups in L-sit. If a normal L-sit is too challenging, adjust the leg position as necessary.

5) If you do not have a rope, substitute 10-15 Towel Pull-ups for the Cirque.

6) Do not rest more than 30 seconds in between exercises. If you are resting more than this or are unable to achieve the RX'd repetitions, you need to scale down the workout to accomodate your current strength levels.

7) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

Tarun Suri

Talk about pain!

Uzeeh

I did the first round as said, but then I changed it to this:

Cirque

Front pulls

L-pullups

Front Pulls

Bulgarian rope rows

I find that when you do the cirques at the end of the workout, you simply don't have the power to do them - they're a very strenuous exercise. After front pulls, the other ones feel very hard - they hit the forearms pretty harm, as well as the shoulder girdle.

I liked this workout, at least I'm progressing a bit. Advanced tuck front pulls feel somewhat easier.

Uzeeh

You can do it with one towel, grasping at the ends, or you can use two towels and grasp one towel per hand. It doesn't really matter that much, and both are used.

Cole Dano
Uzeeh said:
I did the first round as said, but then I changed it to this:

Cirque

Front pulls

L-pullups

Front Pulls

Bulgarian rope rows

I find that when you do the cirques at the end of the workout, you simply don't have the power to do them - they're a very strenuous exercise. After front pulls, the other ones feel very hard - they hit the forearms pretty harm, as well as the shoulder girdle.

I liked this workout, at least I'm progressing a bit. Advanced tuck front pulls feel somewhat easier.

I've noticed the same and often have to reverse the order of the exercises for the same reason.

I like the 'new' 2 x of a repeating element that Coach has added to the WODs.

Eddie Stelling
Uzeeh said:

I find that when you do the cirques at the end of the workout, you simply don't have the power to do them - they're a very strenuous exercise. After front pulls, the other ones feel very hard - they hit the forearms pretty harm, as well as the shoulder girdle.

I thought that the purpose of him switching the placement of the cirques was for this very reason. If you can do them at the end of the giant set you will definitely be able to do them at the beginning when he places them at the beginning. I would think he has these movements on a load and deload cycle as well. Therefore, you shouldn't switch the order but scale the movement. Try your best to complete a cirque, if you begin to fail go to a normal no feet climb, if you begin to fail again use your feet, and do the negatives on the way down with your feet if needed. I have made great progress doing them in this fashion. But, I think you should leave them where he puts them because they are probably there for a reason. Just my thoughts!! Coach if you could weigh in on this that would be great.

Uzeeh

Ah, I hadn't really thought about that. I just hadn't had pretty much any progression in rope climbing, and thought that perhaps making them a bigger part of my workout would help. After the other exercises, my grip is just so bad that I can't climb well even with legs on the rope. I've tried scaling down (L-pullups to regular ones, adv tuck front pulls to tuck ones), but it hasn't helped that much - my strength is just gone when I start the rope climb.

I understand that this might not be optimal - Coach has been to this business far longer than I have - but it definitely feels better to me. These pulling WODs have been my weak spot for a long time.

Eddie Stelling

I understand bro, they are tough! I just think it would be best to try and follow the WOD as close as possible, especially the dynamic WODs and the embedded strength WODs. Ring series you can play with a bit, but the strength WODs and the dynamic high rep WODs, and there placement, are essential to your strength gains. I would think that Coach would rather you take a longer break or shorten the length of your rope climb than do the WOD in a different order. But, I am not sure, hopefully he will grace us with his presence on this one!!! Good work though!

Cole Dano

I'm going to most likely find my foot in my mouth (again) but for the pulling impaired rope climbing is a max strength effort, as such i can't see any issue in rearranging the order if it allows one to do a better rope climb.

For someone who is already proficient at rope climbing this is going to be closer to a conditioning workout, and then the rope as a finisher makes sense and for sure there is no randomness in how Coach varies these particular WODs.

Personally i don't want to see GB go the way of some other forums i've participated in were any changes are met with an attitude of disdain, or 'not following the program-isim'.

A big part of the WODs is knowing how to scale them, if one's persons scaling for a period of time is to reverse the order of this particular WOD vs doing particularly horrible rope climbs, more power to him. Next year will be different as his abilities increase, but for now, if thats how he chooses to scale it, i'd say that shows an ability to interpret the WOD as an individual.

No insult intended, i just don't want to see someone's enthusiasm damped because they are afraid to make the WODs work for them, find them impossible or unsatisfying and give up.

For myself doing these WODs the rope climb is often the key element that i want to work on, so i often, not always, do some adapting towards that end.

Carlos
Uzeeh said:
I did the first round as said, but then I changed it to this:

Cirque

Front pulls

L-pullups

Front Pulls

Bulgarian rope rows

I find that when you do the cirques at the end of the workout, you simply don't have the power to do them - they're a very strenuous exercise. After front pulls, the other ones feel very hard - they hit the forearms pretty harm, as well as the shoulder girdle.

I liked this workout, at least I'm progressing a bit. Advanced tuck front pulls feel somewhat easier.

I would advise on staying with the sequence specified by Coach. Maybe you should go up the rope only 10' instead of the 15'. Keeping the original sequence will also serve as a gauge to measure you strength and endurance gains. If you do the rope every week (2 or 3 times per week) you'll probably do 15' in 3 weeks.

Carlos
Stubadubb said:
What's the technique for towel pull ups? Towel over bar and hold on with one arm for 10-15 reps? Or towel over bar and both hands on towel?

Cirques are coming - can climb and descend briefly but I'm not strong enough to hold for any length of time...YET!

Thanks.

Try making a set of these and build up to rope climbing. 1Js0fsT-p7CnafnUrCxPSCfpZs-DXXQ.jpeg.scaled500.jpg

Eddie Stelling
Mr Brady said:
I'm going to most likely find my foot in my mouth (again) but for the pulling impaired rope climbing is a max strength effort, as such i can't see any issue in rearranging the order if it allows one to do a better rope climb.

For someone who is already proficient at rope climbing this is going to be closer to a conditioning workout, and then the rope as a finisher makes sense and for sure there is no randomness in how Coach varies these particular WODs.

Personally i don't want to see GB go the way of some other forums i've participated in were any changes are met with an attitude of disdain, or 'not following the program-isim'.

A big part of the WODs is knowing how to scale them, if one's persons scaling for a period of time is to reverse the order of this particular WOD vs doing particularly horrible rope climbs, more power to him. Next year will be different as his abilities increase, but for now, if thats how he chooses to scale it, i'd say that shows an ability to interpret the WOD as an individual.

No insult intended, i just don't want to see someone's enthusiasm damped because they are afraid to make the WODs work for them, find them impossible or unsatisfying and give up.

For myself doing these WODs the rope climb is often the key element that i want to work on, so i often, not always, do some adapting towards that end.

That is a very good point! Hope I didn't come off with an attitude :P , just wanted to give some advice from personal experience. I totally agree, and in the beginning I did it a few times myself! But, as I got stronger I pushed myself to try it at the end, I should have definitely specified that. Once again, no attitude intended, so sorry if I came off that way! I can't wait to get off and hit this one! Train hard!

Carlos
Mr Brady said:
I'm going to most likely find my foot in my mouth (again) but for the pulling impaired rope climbing is a max strength effort, as such i can't see any issue in rearranging the order if it allows one to do a better rope climb.

For someone who is already proficient at rope climbing this is going to be closer to a conditioning workout, and then the rope as a finisher makes sense and for sure there is no randomness in how Coach varies these particular WODs.

Personally i don't want to see GB go the way of some other forums i've participated in were any changes are met with an attitude of disdain, or 'not following the program-isim'.

A big part of the WODs is knowing how to scale them, if one's persons scaling for a period of time is to reverse the order of this particular WOD vs doing particularly horrible rope climbs, more power to him. Next year will be different as his abilities increase, but for now, if thats how he chooses to scale it, i'd say that shows an ability to interpret the WOD as an individual.

No insult intended, i just don't want to see someone's enthusiasm damped because they are afraid to make the WODs work for them, find them impossible or unsatisfying and give up.

For myself doing these WODs the rope climb is often the key element that i want to work on, so i often, not always, do some adapting towards that end.

I agree that there is no harm in changing the work out and if switching the sequence will keep people motivated then YES change it. Keep in mind that you are not performing or competing for who does the best rope climb, but building strength and endurance. I see it at my gym all the time, people avoid the hard exercises for fear of failure but the ones who stick with it eventually build more strength because the intensity is much higher and the body has to adapt. If you want to be good at rope climbing then do more rope climbing.

When you are ready for your WOD stop for sec. and imagine yourself among the small group coach is coaching, would you change the sequence then?

Danny

Lovely, but painful WOD. :)

My scaled version:

2 – Tucked Front Pulls

5 – Tucked FL Pulls

2 – Tucked Front Pulls

3 – Wide Grip Pull-ups in L-sit

2 – Tucked Front Pulls

5 - Towel Chin-Ups

Grip was failing at the towel chin-ups, and so was my pulling strength. My pull-ups needs some more attention, but i'm working on it. :D Thanks again Coach.

Mark Wyly

AWESOME WOD coach! Thnx!!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Back Squat: 85#(5) - 105#(5) - 125#(3) - 160#(5) - 180#(3) - 200#(1+)

Press: 55#(5) - 65#(5) - 80#(5)

4 Rounds:

2 Front Pulls

Rest 30s

5 Front Lever Pulls (aaah my mistake I did front lever rows :()

Rest 30s

2 Front Pulls

Rest 30s

3 Wide Grip L-Sit Pullups

Rest 30s

2 Front Pulls

Rest 30s

1 Cirque @ 8" (I hate the rope and position of rope as always :( )

Rest 2-3 mins

-Ir6wf-Rwzo

Eddie Stelling

WU: Ido's Shoulder Routines

3x8 weighted straight arm shrugs @ 70lbs (on dip bars)

HS Work: 20-30 min

- 3 straddle press to HS + negative

- HS walks and freestanding holds

- chest rolls to HS and a few partial tiger bends (holy crap those are hard, couldn't push back up to hands)

FSP's:

6x10s Tuck PL

6x10s Adv. Tuck FL

3x12s Straddle BL

3x25s L-sit floor

6x10s one arm center straddle L (alternating center hand each set)

4 rounds:

2 – Adv. Tuck Front Pulls

5 – Straddle FL Pulls

2 – Adv. Tuck Front Pulls

3 – Wide Grip Pull-ups in L-sit

2 – Adv. Tuck Front Pulls

1 – 15’ Cirque (1-2 rnds perfect! 3rd round feet dropped on the way up. 4th round no feet up, assisted with feet when needed on the way down.)

3x6 HLL

additional AB work

ashita
WOD - 110516

Postby Coach Sommer on Mon May 16, 2011 4:09 am

Complete four rounds:

2 – Front Pulls

5 – FL Pulls

2 – Front Pulls

3 – Wide Grip Pull-ups in L-sit

2 – Front Pulls

1 – 15’ Cirque

Ring planche training

Iron cross training

first round :

2 – Front Pulls in full lay with 4kg (8 lbs) ankle weight

5 – FL Pulls in full lay with 4kg (8 lbs) ankle weight

2 – Front Pulls in full lay with 4kg (8 lbs) ankle weight

3 – Wide Grip Pull-ups in L-sit

2 – Front Pulls in full lay with 4kg (8 lbs) ankle weight

1 – 6 towel pull up ( towel too big, lost the grip ) ^^

The form was decreasing so i reduced the extra weight to 2kg(4 lbs)

second round :

2 – Front Pulls in full lay with 2kg (4 lbs) ankle weight

5 – FL Pulls in full lay with 2kg (4 lbs) ankle weight

2 – Front Pulls in full lay with 2kg (4 lbs) ankle weight

3 – Wide Grip Pull-ups in L-sit

2 – Front Pulls in full lay

1 – 9 towel pull up ( changed the towel ) ^^

third round :

2 – Front Pulls in full lay with 4 lbs ankle weight

5 – FL Pulls in full lay with 4 lbs ankmle weight

2 – Front Pulls in full lay

3 – Wide Grip Chin-ups in L-sit with 4lbs ankle weight

2 – Front Pulls in full lay

1 – 11 towel pull up

One arm and two arms dragon flag, it's perfect for the end, like dragon flag is similar to the Fl, it works the same muscle but more the triceps especially with one arm, a perfect killer for the end :)

i liked this workout a lot! thnks coach :)