There are special socks that you can get that work well in winter.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Nick's Functional Fitness
Started by Freeflyer, August 29, 2010 · 230 Replies · 12,562 Views
KSO Treks are the black ones I was wearing when we went out. They have a slightly thicker sole with more tread on it, and the sole is soft kangaroo leather, the uppers and kangaroo suede. They are the warmest ones you will get, but they will still let water in if they get wet. Injinji makes good socks for them, including thin wool ones, which are nice and warm. So if warmth is the only concern, those two together work well enough for me. If there is snow, you may just want to wait till its gone.
I wear them year round as well. They may be a little warmer in the summer, but certainly doable. Definitely no worse than wearing most shoes or boots.
WEEK 2
DAY 4(11)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:1o8d4nf8]Row 1000m @ 1:53/500m
[*:1o8d4nf8]2x6 wall press to handstand - tuck
[*:1o8d4nf8]3 rounds: 35sec on/35sec off - hollow hold
[*:1o8d4nf8]3 rounds: 35sec on/35sec off - arch hold
[*:1o8d4nf8]Wrist prep series
[*:1o8d4nf8]Shoulder prep series - pulling
[*:1o8d4nf8]Knee prep series
Dynamic Pulling WOD:
- [*:1o8d4nf8]2 Rounds of: 3min rest between rounds
--20 double unders
--10 TOPs pulls - adv tuck
-- 5 Half Front lever pulls - tuck
-- 6 towel pull ups
[*:1o8d4nf8]3 rounds: 35sec on/35sec off - XR Plank, rto
[*:1o8d4nf8]Half Tabata pushups: 40 - perfect pushup tool
Notes:
- [*:1o8d4nf8]I felt like poo today trying to work out. My pulling strength was next to nothing. Likely factors: only 6hrs of sleep last night. Spent the whole day doing dive ops. Spent 45min underwater in 50F water. Air temp was about 30F, and I spent a lot of time out there as well.
[*:1o8d4nf8]Only did 2 rounds because of all that. Still needed to work the pushups so I threw them in, even though I sucked there too.
[*:1o8d4nf8]No rope climbs because I said I wouldn't do anymore this week.
[*:1o8d4nf8]I see tomorrow being a tough day too because we will be diving again... I hate being wet and cold...
Nick_EOD said:[*]3 rounds: 35sec on/35sec off - XR Plank, rto
In a hollowed position?
BTW, I'm sure the driving/wet/sold issue is temporary, keep thinking that and you should be able to hold on to the motivation long enough until the condition improves.
Yes in a hollow.
And I know it is temporary. But being cold really is an energy drain. I am sure next week when I haven't had such exhausting days I will do better, but it does suck to feel weak, even if I know why.
Have you been doing the planks for a long time? How much benefit do you perceive out of it so far?
And I don't know if it helps in anyway, but the alternative could be worse. I haven't worked out in what feels like forever. It's gonna be -15 degrees this weekend, and that's considered warmer than the average for this time of year.
Razz, you have also the KSO Flow with a 1.2 mm Neoprene upper. http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/eng/flow.aspx
Sorry Nick for messing up your training post :oops:
Thank you very much everyone, looks like it'll be either KSO or the flow ones ![]()
Really liked the skipping posts bud. I used to be able to skip like the first video by Ross training when I practiced 4-5 days a week. Definitely couldn't do anything off the second video in a million years! lol. Think I need to start skipping again, is a brilliant warm-up.
Razz said:Thank you very much everyone, looks like it'll be either KSO or the flow ones
I forgot about the flows. D'oh! They would be great winter ones, but definitely a bit warm in the summer to run in. The KSOs are not winter ones at all. They are very thin everywhere. The Treks are great all arounders IMO (except for wet conditions).
I love that I found jumping rope. I am not a huge fan of running and they have my warm ups a lot more fun, and improved my run times. Not to mention my calves and achilles are getting huge.
WEEK 2
DAY 6(13)
PM
Warm Up 1:
- [*:3g7eyfg7]500m row @ 1:50/500m
[*:3g7eyfg7]3x6 Wall press to handstand - tuck
[*:3g7eyfg7]Wrist Prep series
[*:3g7eyfg7]Shoulder Prep series - rings
Ring Strength WOD:
- [*:3g7eyfg7]About 30ish assisted muscle ups - some with foot on ball, some with pulley system
Notes 1:
- [*:3g7eyfg7]Took yesterday off because I was still pretty worn out feeling. Today was not a whole lot better, but I keep skipping ring strength and really needed to do something.
[*:3g7eyfg7]Was short on time when I did this, so I just worked on muscles ups. I couldn't even do a kipping one today, so I really did need to work them. I think I will add 1 set of 5 assisted to occasional warm ups now.
About 4-5hrs later.
Warm Up 2:
- [*:3g7eyfg7]Knee Prep series
[*:3g7eyfg7]Hip Prep Series
Squat WOD:
- [*:3g7eyfg7]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x5x165lbs, 3x5x225lbs
[*:3g7eyfg7]Half tabata pushups: 45 - perfect pushup tool
[*:3g7eyfg7]Half tabata chin/pull ups: 19 (with about 5 kipping)
[*:3g7eyfg7]3 rounds: 35sec on/35sec off XR plank - rto, hollow
Notes 2:
- [*:3g7eyfg7]First time squatting today with a power lifting belt. Felt like I was going to explode against it. Definitely even more of a core workout than without. Will keep using these for worksets only.
[*:3g7eyfg7]Gonna make saturdays squat day from now on unless one falls on a Friday.
[*:3g7eyfg7]1 of the 3 tabata push ups will be on the floor, just because that is how they do it at benning. Might as well do it that way to get used to it.
WEEK 3
DAY 1(15)
AM
Warm Up:
- [*:cewq6gnc]50kb swings - 16kg
[*:cewq6gnc]3x6 Wall press to handstand - tuck
[*:cewq6gnc]Wrist Prep series
WOD:
- [*:cewq6gnc]Bench Press: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x85lbs, 1x4x120lbs, 1x4x150lbs, 1x2/3x150/145lbs, 1x5x145lbs
Notes:
- [*:cewq6gnc]Didn't have much time today to work out so I only go around to a very short workout and warm up
[*:cewq6gnc]Maybe 10lbs is a big jump for BP. 7.5lbs next time.
[*:cewq6gnc]Spent a very very long and very very cold night doing limpet operations (training). Guess it kinda counts as a workout though since I was moving lots of heavy ass gear, pulling lines with decent weight on them through the water, running around in a flak and kevlar, etc. And geeze it was cold. I was freezing while wearing a t-shirt, 2 fleeces, a large winter coat, and a flack jacket. It didn't help my gloves are thin and were soaked fromm having to pull stuff outta the water repeatedly. Feet were wet too (note to self: water proof boots next time)...
WEEK 3
DAY 2(16)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:2m2k46yw]5min Jumping Rope
[*:2m2k46yw]2x9 Wall press to hand stand - tuck
[*:2m2k46yw]Wrist Prep Series
[*:2m2k46yw]Knee Prep Series
[*:2m2k46yw]Shoulder Prep Series - rings
Basic Strength WOD:
- [*:2m2k46yw]3 rounds: 15sec Tuck BL - lower from inverted hang to inverted pike to BL; 5 temp Tuck FL rows
[*:2m2k46yw]3 rounds: 15sec Frog Stand - attempt to push up to Adv FS; 5 tempo PPP+ - feet on 10in block
[*:2m2k46yw]3 rounds: 10-15sec Straddle FL - legs high, lower from inverted hang; 5 tempo L-sit raise -tuck
Leg WOD
- [*:2m2k46yw]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x75lbs, 1x4x135lbs, 1x3x175lbs, 3x5x230lbs
[*:2m2k46yw]5 min jump rope
[*:2m2k46yw]Half Tabata Pushups: 54 - hand on deck
[*:2m2k46yw]10 Bridge Wall Walks
[*:2m2k46yw]2x30sec seated pointed toe pike stretch
Notes:
- [*:2m2k46yw]Long workout today... 2 hours.
[*:2m2k46yw]I know today was supposed to be dynamic legs, but I really ran outta time, so I just decided to throw in a few jump ropes after the squats instead of another 20min doing broad jumps and depth jumps.
[*:2m2k46yw]Squats felt a little easier today than sat.
[*:2m2k46yw]My L-sit has gotten worse... I can't hold one at all anymore. Not even close. I think I am gonna go way back and build up to 3x60sec tuck L-sit... I can't imagine my core is weaker... But my legs are heavier and my active flexibility is terrible.
[*:2m2k46yw]Freakin cold today... 25F... no like
my squats today. In order of sets. I always struggle the most on the second set.
lBHEhCbo-w8
rAPXkmfKjQ4
_aV7im4Rgjk
Nice deeeep squats, and nice hoodie! :wink:
Yep, nice squats and hoodie ![]()
is possible that your lower back is dragging a bit during the extension?, how is better with rebound or with stop at the bottom?
Nice hoodie! (designed by some genius I must say)
Im not sure I understand what you mean, Omegant. Rebounding on squats is fine since you are not really bouncing on anything (unlike bench press). I try to go down, stop and come up, but with no actual pause.
My squats may actually be a little bit deep, since I kinda lose my extension at the very bottom.
mm I actually stop for 2 secs at the bottom but I don´t know if that is correct or it is better a little rebound. Also I see that once you go up your upper torso is lagging a bit and then you recover your back angle (I don´t know if that makes sense), I do that also(when using too much weight) and I thought it is lack of lower back strength compared to quads and biceps femoralis, but again I am not sure If this is correct or I was performing correctly and just over thought that too. (I´m asking because you know better
)
I don't think a two second stop is necessary, just go down and come back up. Don't bounce, but there is no need to stop.
Knees and hips should go up at the same pace. I am wrong when you see my hips rise faster than my knees, but I don't think it is necessarily lack of lower back strength. I just really need to focus more on staying tight and rising up steadily.
omegant said:mm I actually stop for 2 secs at the bottom but I don´t know if that is correct or it is better a little rebound
That's just a different type of squat for improving strength out of the bottom or starting strength.
ok thanks! ![]()
Using a 2s stop prevents stored elastic energy in your tendons to help you go back up. As Triangle said it's a different, and very good, method for improving strength in the bottom of the squat. Just another variation you can throw in, in a cycle once in a while depending on weak points ![]()
WEEK 3
DAY 5(19)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:4qo5tmvn]10min jumping rope
[*:4qo5tmvn]1x9 Wall press to handstand - tuck up, pike down
[*:4qo5tmvn]Wrist Prep Series
[*:4qo5tmvn]Pulley Muscle Ups - 4,3,2,1 (70lbs on pulley)
[*:4qo5tmvn]Knee Prep Series
Max Legs WOD:
- [*:4qo5tmvn]LBBS: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x100lbs, 1x4x180lbs, 5,5,4x235lbs
[*:4qo5tmvn]Deadlift: 8x135lbs, 5x225lbs, 5x275lbs, 5x330lbs
[*:4qo5tmvn]3 rounds: 40sec on/40sec off - hollow hold
[*:4qo5tmvn]3 rounds: 40sec on/40sec off - arch hold
Notes:
- [*:4qo5tmvn]My diet has been atrocious this week and I really felt it today. My squats felt really heavy (so much I didn't even try to last rep), I barely made the deadlifts, and I just felt weak in general today. I ate waaay too much fast food and carbs this week, and not nearly enough protein. I really need to fix this if I intend to keep making progress...
[*:4qo5tmvn]I also felt terribly lazy yesterday, hence why I didn't don anything... I don't know what my problem is this week, but there is very little motivation.
[*:4qo5tmvn]At the least the hollow holds didn't really feel too hard. Jumping rope felt nice too.
[*:4qo5tmvn]Probably gonna try to do the HS WOD later tonight after a good 4hrs of rest. That way tomorrow I can give myself the Army PT test (since I have to take it in 2 weeks, just wanna see where I'm at), and do my scap work.
Nick_EOD said:I don't think a two second stop is necessary, just go down and come back up. Don't bounce, but there is no need to stop.Knees and hips should go up at the same pace. I am wrong when you see my hips rise faster than my knees, but I don't think it is necessarily lack of lower back strength. I just really need to focus more on staying tight and rising up steadily.
Mark Rippetoe would tell you that hips first is how it should work. That allows you to get into a more mechanically advantageous position, which means you can lift more. Of course, you have to do good mornings as assistance work, but every competitive squatter does that ("that" meaning good morning assistance work) it seems.