Yeah, I always skip the morning workout aswell whenever I feel it's going to compromise my 8 hours of sleep. Sleep is more important ![]()
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Nick's Functional Fitness
Started by Freeflyer, August 29, 2010 · 230 Replies · 12,562 Views
Well this is no good... I only made it through the Warm-up today before I had to stop. My forearms hurt in a way that is all to familiar to my shins... There was no way I was going to be playing around on rings when it hurt to hold a pushup position for the wrist series... Good thing tomorrow is a rest day. Lets hope some ice, ibuprofen, fish oil and rest clears this up by thursday :/ Not really sure why they hurt so much, I really didn't add much more load than i've done before...
WEEK 1
DAY 2(2)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:n1xvdk75]3min of jumping rope - just could not string together double unders today.
[*:n1xvdk75]500m row - 1:43
[*:n1xvdk75]10 wall press to handstand - mix of tuck and straddle
[*:n1xvdk75]1 rope climb - 15ft
[*:n1xvdk75]Ring shoulder prep series
[*:n1xvdk75]Wrist Prep Series
[*:n1xvdk75]Knee Prep Series
[*:n1xvdk75]Hip Prep Series
Notes:
- [*:n1xvdk75]As noted in the last post, I never made it to the actual WOD. Feels like forearm splints....
Personally I like rice bucket as a cure. Also if you can still do hanging work there's no excuse
Hope you have a quick recovery ![]()
I'm about to fill my two bath tubs with hot and cold water and do some recovery. Hanging would have been fine except the part where I have to grip the rings was not happy. I figure a day off is better than a week off or 18 months like coach....
The contrast baths were amazing. Especially since I filled the hot one with Epsom salt. I feel great now. Actually, I want to go back outside and tackle my ring work, although I am sure it is a bad idea... Someone convince me it is a bad idea before I go hurt myself, lol.
I suppose at the very least I should do my hollow and arch holds.
WEEK 1
DAY 4(4)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:1p9spzk9]5min jumping rope - lots of double unders and other skills work
[*:1p9spzk9]3x6 wall press to handstand - tuck
[*:1p9spzk9]1 rope climb - 15ft
[*:1p9spzk9]Shoulder stretches (and a few leg stretches)
[*:1p9spzk9]Wrist prep series
[*:1p9spzk9]Knee prep series
[*:1p9spzk9]hip prep series
[*:1p9spzk9]Shoulder prep series - rings
Basic Strength WOD:
- [*:1p9spzk9]Bench Press - 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x75lbs, 1x4x115lbs, 3x5x140lbs
[*:1p9spzk9]Complete 3 sets each:
--1 15sec FL - 90/90 tuck + 3 Tempo Assisted OAC (each arm)
--1 15sec XR plank + 15sec parallette low straight L-sit + 5 kipping HeSPU
--1 15sec BL - tuck + 6 Tempo Windshield Wipers - floor
[*:1p9spzk9]10 bridge wall walks - touch the floor
Notes:
- [*:1p9spzk9]Arms were still slightly angry today, but they felt good enough to work out with.
[*:1p9spzk9]Wrists and shoulders are feeling pretty great since starting these pre-hab series. Knees on the other hand pop a lot more now when squatting, but it is painless popping, so i guess it doesn't really matter.
[*:1p9spzk9]Almost got a full NLC with no hands. I found putting my feet under the car with my knees on the abmat pad works perfectly for this.
WEEK 1
DAY 5(5)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:2vog8yxi]2min jumping rope
[*:2vog8yxi]run 1000m - ~3min
[*:2vog8yxi]3x6 wall press to handstand - tuck
[*:2vog8yxi]1 rope climb 15ft
[*:2vog8yxi]Wrist Prep series
[*:2vog8yxi]Knee Prep series
[*:2vog8yxi]Hip Prep series
[*:2vog8yxi]Shoulder Prep series - Pushing
Dynamic Pushing WOD:
- [*:2vog8yxi]2 rounds of: 3min rest between rounds
-- 60sec handstand wall run/wall handstand
-- 4 explosive pushups - hands on parallettes, push up and feet come off ground like planche. Kinda like a german on the ground
-- 8 XR russian dips - foot supported
-- 12 dive bombers
[*:2vog8yxi]2x10 wrist pushups
Notes:
- [*:2vog8yxi]Arms were still not the happiest today, so I just did two rounds instead of 4.
[*:2vog8yxi]Wheels are beyond me right now, and I don't have a horse for germans, but these seemed alright. No bars to do swinging dips and on the XR is beyond me as well so dive bombers seemed to be a similar ROM albeit easier.
[*:2vog8yxi]Forearms didn't like the Wall runs, so I only ran the first 30sec of each round, then held a HS for the rest of it.
[*:2vog8yxi]Run was really fast today - mostly because I am really F***ing pissed at the Navy and Army right now. I have to go to Ft. Benning, GA, the asshole of America 2 days before new years for a month. Makes me want to punch babies.
[*:2vog8yxi]I think I am gonna squat tomorrow. Next leg day isn't till tuesday and last one was Mon, and I just don't like squatting only once a week. Need moar squats.
Age: 24yrs
Height: 73"
Body Weight: 177.5lbs
Approximate body fat: 15%
Tape Measurements:
- [*:xa8i8xgi]Neck: 17.5in
[*:xa8i8xgi]Chest: 40.5in
[*:xa8i8xgi]Waist: 36.25in
[*:xa8i8xgi]Illiac: 37in (measure around where your upper pelvic bones protrude the most (you can feel for them on either side of your waist/hips)
[*:xa8i8xgi]Hips: 40in (measure around largest part of glutes)
[*:xa8i8xgi]Right Bicep: 15in (flexed)
[*:xa8i8xgi]Left Bicep: 14.75in (flexed)
[*:xa8i8xgi]Right Wrist: 7.25in
[*:xa8i8xgi]Left Wrist: 7.25
[*:xa8i8xgi]Right Thigh: 25in (flexed)
[*:xa8i8xgi]Left Thigh: 24in (flexed)
[*:xa8i8xgi]Right Calf: 15.75in (flexed)
[*:xa8i8xgi]Left Calf: 15.5 (flexed)
Caliper Measurments: All on right side of body
- [*:xa8i8xgi]Chest: 11mm
[*:xa8i8xgi]Abdominal: 18mm
[*:xa8i8xgi]Thigh: 19mm
[*:xa8i8xgi]Bicep: 8mm
[*:xa8i8xgi]Tricep: 10mm
[*:xa8i8xgi]Subscapular: 14mm
[*:xa8i8xgi]Suprailiac: 13mm
[*:xa8i8xgi]Lower Back: 25mm (eww)
[*:xa8i8xgi]Calf: 12mm
Notes:
- [*:xa8i8xgi]Numbers are fairly innacurate for most measurements. I had my wife do them, and since we don't have a cloth tape measure, we used a piece of cloth and a normal tape measure. She was not always sure the correct spot to measure.
[*:xa8i8xgi]Calipers were those accumeasure self use ones for the suprailliac. Wife took all the measurements, but was really unsure of exact spots and how much to grab, etc.
[*:xa8i8xgi]I am not so concerned with the number themselves, as long as I see progress from these numbers. Still it is a little dissapointing
WEEK 1
DAY 6(6)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:p0ulnlnv]1mi run - 6:25
[*:p0ulnlnv]Tumbling warm up
[*:p0ulnlnv]Stretching warm up
[*:p0ulnlnv]Wrist Prep series
[*:p0ulnlnv]Knee Prep series
[*:p0ulnlnv]Hip Prep series
WOD:
- [*:p0ulnlnv]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x4x170lbs, 3x5x215lbs
[*:p0ulnlnv]Scapula Strength series - 2 rounds: XR on shrugs, 10lb plates for Y's, 7.5lbs plates for lateral raises, 20lbs dumbbells for cubans, 20lbs dumbbells for flyes.
Notes:
- [*:p0ulnlnv]Tumbling felt pretty tiring today, probably from the haulin ass run right before it, lol.
[*:p0ulnlnv]Squats are progressing back up properly. Felt better today than on monday.
[*:p0ulnlnv]Only did two rounds of scaps since the workout was already almost 2 hrs long... and I was tired... and today was supposed to be an easy day, lol!
[*:p0ulnlnv]I have really upped my protein intake. Hopefully I put on a few lbs of muscle over this month (without the extra fat).
Nick, was the knee prep something you learnt from the seminars?
Yes it was. If you can scrounge up the money, I absolutely suggest getting to one. It was totally worth it.
The different joint prep series were probably the best things I learned.
WEEK 2
DAY 1(8)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:54155jpg]750m row @ 1:43/500m
[*:54155jpg]3x6 Wall Press to Handstand - tuck
[*:54155jpg]Wrist Prep series
[*:54155jpg]Knee Prep series
[*:54155jpg]Hip Prep series
[*:54155jpg]1 rope climb - 15ft
Max Legs WOD:
- [*:54155jpg]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x4x170lbs, 3x5x220lbs
[*:54155jpg]Deadlift: 8x135lbs, 5x225lbs, 5x275lbs, 3x305lbs, 3x335lbs, 1x345lbs, 1x360lbs, 1x375lbs!
[*:54155jpg]Half tabata pushups: 43 -used perfect pushup tool
[*:54155jpg]Half tabata chin/pull up: 21 - must be on bar during "on" time even if not doing PUs
Notes:
- [*:54155jpg]Double overhand grip on deadlifts up to 335lbs. Mixed grip on single sets. New PR today, by 20lbs!
[*:54155jpg]Half tabata = 4 rounds of 20sec on, 10 sec off
[*:54155jpg]Decided to add half tabata sets of pushups and pullups at the end of workouts 3xweek until I go to jump school. I know I can easily pass their PT standards, but I want to exceed all the little Army punks there at their own game. I figure this is the best way to up my numbers on those exercises in a short time frame (less than 1 month) without interfering much with my real WODs.
I am seriously not feeling like doing the WOD today. I know I really should, but man the motivation is not there.
Drink some coffee and get your ass outa bed!!
Razz said:Drink some coffee and get your ass outa bed!!
Out of bed? It is 1800, I just got home from work. and it is cold. I hate the cold, and my garage is not heated. Actually that is part of what keeps me from doing my morning WODs. That and lack of sleep. But who wants to get up before dawn to go try and work out in -2C? Not I. Especially when I could sleep another 80min
.
On that note, Jack3d is not really doing it for me anymore to get me pumped for workouts. Anyone have a good suggestions. That new GNC crap Ravage looks interesting. Ton of caffeine though.
Well outta the chair, wherever you're sitting
Put on some clothes and do it, In a few weeks I'll be back in my parents house training outside in -5deg C or more... and that's not in a garage. No excuses or you will no longer be the Italian Stallion ![]()
On the pre WO stuff, just go with the coffee, too much caffeine is never good. Btw Jack3d contains 1,3-Dimethylamylamine which is basically the same thing as ephedrine, might be legal in the states but isn't in competition. Just giving you a heads up in case it's not legal and you get doping tested ![]()
Interesting. I didn't know that stuff was in it, or rather that is what it was. I don't compete in anything, or get tested for anything like that, so I am not too worried. I am not much of a coffee fan, I can't stand it without waay to much sugar (even with a healthy amount of cream).
I am about to get to it. It just sometimes takes a while to get the motivation going, especially after a long day. Dunno how I am gonna do it thursday and friday, since we are diving in the bay without drysuits, and it the windchill is supposed to be at least -6C, and the water temp I am sure will be in the 40's! Diving on a warm day is tiring. On a cold day is murderous.
Edit: 40's is of course fahrenheit. Silly me mixing up my temp scales.
I hate Virginia water this time of year... that's just torture. ![]()
WEEK 2
DAY 2(9)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:24ptcb9b]10min jumping rope - I am actually getting decent at this.
[*:24ptcb9b]3x6 Wall press to handstand - tuck
[*:24ptcb9b]Wrist Prep Series
[*:24ptcb9b]Shoulder Prep series - pushing
[*:24ptcb9b]1 rope climb - 15ft
[*:24ptcb9b]Hollow hold - 3rnds: 35sec on/25sec off
[*:24ptcb9b]Arch Hold - 3rnds: 35sec on/25sec off
Handstand WOD:
- [*:24ptcb9b]2x6 Cast Wall Walks
[*:24ptcb9b]2x4 Wall pike press to Handstand - 35in box
[*:24ptcb9b]5,5,3 Straddle Press to headstand - freestanding, elevated head 6in, 8in and 12in respectively
[*:24ptcb9b]2x5 XR handstand cycles - a lot of these rounds were more like 25sec
[*:24ptcb9b]1min Wall HS
Notes:
- [*:24ptcb9b]Elbows/forearms really hurt after the rope climb, I think I am gonna lay off them for the rest of the week (until of course they come up in thursdays pulling WOD...). I had to foam roll my biceps and forearms mid workout to be able to continue. Oddly enough the HS, especially the XR ones made my elbows feel 100x better.
[*:24ptcb9b]Mixed it up with the Press variations today. It felt pretty good, though my presses are still terribly weak.
[*:24ptcb9b]XR HS terrify me. I am not afraid to jump outta airplanes, or mess with bombs, but kicking into a HS on the rings is too much for me. I had to build a stack of weights to put my foot on so I could wrap one foot on the straps at a time. It doesn't help that my rings are over a concrete floor, and the lowest they hand is 10in off the ground.
[*:24ptcb9b]XR HS are nowhere close to elbows locked, much less rings turned out. But I suppose that is all the more reason to work on em.
Since jumping rope has become my new primary form of "cardio" training, and warm up, I figure these videos would be fun to post.
This is my goal with the rope:
lVkYjp4mqnc
And this is just insane:
5MfhJjbNNJE
Buddy Lee is one crazy ass mofo with a rope. I have one of his ropes, and I am really considering getting his training book/DVD.
Note to others: Coach said at the seminar jumping rope has shown to be possibly the best way to increase bone density, especially in the lower legs. So get a rope and start jumping.
WEEK 2
DAY 3(10)
PM
- [*:1bprlvxz]5 rounds: 1min on/1min off jumping rope. Accomplished first double-under cross overs today. And even managed to do 3 in 1 set. Also strung 25 DUs together. Really outta consider doing it on a softer surface than the driveway, or a with more coushioning than VFFs, lol.
Went Diving this morning, tho that wasn't really a workout, since it was only 10min. Lots of moving gear though.
Yo Nick, was hoping you could point me in the right direction here. I want a pair of Vibrams that I want to use to run in about twice per week at max, but also wear during the day on an everyday basis. Weather here is shitty with snow/rain. Is it possible for me to buy one pair that fits all those needs? If the snow/rain is a problem and I wait until summer to buy a pair which one would you advise then?
They do have a winter pair, but I don't know if that would be comfortable in the summer!
Hmm I guess it wouldn't, is there an all around sorta deal? I looked at the KSO's which seem to be ok for running/climbing/fishing whatever but still not sure if they'd be too cold during winter.