This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Nick's Functional Fitness

Started by Freeflyer, August 29, 2010 · 230 Replies · 12,562 Views

Freeflyer

WEEK 7

DAY 6(50)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:376phf7k]500m row @ 1:45/500m
    [*:376phf7k]Ring Strength standard warmup (pg. 5)
    [*:376phf7k]FSP B (pg. 4)

WOD:

  • [*:376phf7k]2mi Run - 14:10
    [*:376phf7k]1 x 30 DL - 95lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:376phf7k]Pissed I woke up late (forget alarm was set mon-fri) and missed the fundraiser this morning. Probably for the best though since I think 30 C&J woulda been a lot with how I am feeling today.
    [*:376phf7k]Felt a little tired during the warm up... I just got the FluMist on thursday and my nose has been stuffy since then, bit of a head cold. Damn live vaccines.
    [*:376phf7k]Run was great. I felt good the whole way. Shoulda sprinted the end of it, I probably could have broken 14min if I really pushed the last 400m. That is my fastest time in a long time though. Even better since I haven't ran longer than a mile in 1 1/2 months.
    [*:376phf7k]Put the wife on Starting Strength and she was doing deadlifts today so I decided to do a big set while she was resting. Amusingly it was my shoulders that were closest to giving out on that and not my legs at all.

Freeflyer

WEEK 8

DAY 1(52)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:3lb0xbs7]Run 600m, 2min followed immediately by 500m row, 1:50
    [*:3lb0xbs7]Standard Pulling Warm Up (pg. 4)
    [*:3lb0xbs7]FSP A (pg. 4)

SS WOD:

  • [*:3lb0xbs7]Low bar back squats: 45x1x5, 95x1x5, 135x1x5, 155x3x5
    [*:3lb0xbs7]Bench Press: 45x1x5, 75x1x5, 105x1x5, 135x3x5
    [*:3lb0xbs7]Deadlift: 135x1x5, 185x1x5, 225x1x5, 275x1x5
    [*:3lb0xbs7]Finish up with 50 Double Unders

Thoughts:

  • [*:3lb0xbs7]Well, I just found I am gonna be traveling a shit lot over the next month (until the seminar), so doing WODs just won't work for me right now. So i am gonna try and do barbell workouts mostly and gymnastics assistance stuff when I am home, and whatever I can muster out of crappy hotel gyms while I am gone. After the seminar hopefully I can finally start back up the WODs lol...
    [*:3lb0xbs7]Went pretty light on the Back squats and coulda done a bit more on the deads too, but I figure no reason to risk it since my knee did hurt last week.
    [*:3lb0xbs7]Unfortunately I can't say the same about bench. That probably was my 3x5rep max... Oh well, i am sure I will get stronger eventually.
    [*:3lb0xbs7]Double unders are actually starting to get fun now that I can do em, lol... and jump rope is such an easy tool to bring along with me on travels. Will try to bring rings, but no clue where I will actually be able to use em.

Freeflyer

WEEK 8

DAY 3(54)

AM

Warm Up:

  • [*:12djf7t9]2 rounds of: 200m run, 30sec dead hang, 5 toes to bar
    [*:12djf7t9]30 dislocates, shoulder mobility
    [*:12djf7t9]HeSPU and MU skill work

WOD:

Nate - AMRAP 20min: 8 rounds + 2 HeSPU

  • [*:12djf7t9]2 Muscle Ups
    [*:12djf7t9]4 HeSPUs
    [*:12djf7t9]8 KB Swings - 36kg


  • [*:12djf7t9]Low Bar Back Squat: 45lbsx1x5; 135lbsx1x5; 155lbsx1x5, 180lbsx3x5
    [*:12djf7t9]Overhead Press: 45lbsx1x5; 55lbsx1x5; 75lbsx1x5; 85lbsx3x5

Thoughts:

  • [*:12djf7t9]Out of town so I called a local CF and asked to come do a WOD with them. Big thanks to Crossfit Fort Vancouver.
    [*:12djf7t9]Learned today how to do kipping HeSPUs. I actually like this, because I cannot do a normal HeSPU yet. This way I can do the full negative and get back up without kicking back up. So it is more consistent and I get a better workout than just negatives.
    [*:12djf7t9]Most of my Muscle Ups had to be spotted. After that first round of KB swings I stuggled to MU on my own, even kipping. But thankfully the coaches there were pretty awesome, and preferred I do spotted ones to extra pull ups and dips.
    [*:12djf7t9]Did my Squats afterwards while they were running an intro class teaching the basic movements to people who had never done them. I got some amusing looks for my super deep lowbar squats.
    [*:12djf7t9]Might try to jump in with them again tomorrow morning before my flight out of here. Definitely was fun.

Freeflyer

WEEK 8

DAY 6(57)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:vpnv25ps]Run 800m - 3min
    [*:vpnv25ps]Standard Pushing Warmup (pg. 4)
    [*:vpnv25ps]FSP B (pg.4)

SS WOD:

  • [*:vpnv25ps]Low bar Back Squat: 1x5x65lbs, 1x5x115lbs, 1x5x155lbs, 3x5x185lbs
    [*:vpnv25ps]Bench Press: 1x5x45lbs, 1x5x75lbs, 1x5x105lbs, 3x5x135lbs
    [*:vpnv25ps]Deadlift: 1x5x135lbs, 1x5x185lbs, 1x5x225lbs, 1x5x290lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:vpnv25ps]Felt a bit off today. I ate like shit while traveling all this week. Didn't get much quality sleep, and drank a bit... Hopefully next week I am back in the game.
    [*:vpnv25ps]Standard hook grip on deadlift until the work set, then switch grip.

Freeflyer

WEEK 9

DAY 1(59)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:8z696j4w]Run 1200m, didn't time it
    [*:8z696j4w]Standard Pulling Warm Up (pg. 4)
    [*:8z696j4w]FSP A (pg. 4)

SS WOD:

  • [*:8z696j4w]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x5x55lbs, 1x5,115lbs, 1x5x165lbs, 3x5x190lbs
    [*:8z696j4w]OH Press: 1x5x45lbs, 1x5x55lbs, 1x5x65lbs, 1x5x75lbs, 3x5x85lbs
    [*:8z696j4w]Weighted Pull Ups/Chin Ups (alternating): 1x5x5lbs, 1x5x10lbs, 1x5x15lbs, 3x5x20lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:8z696j4w]I am enjoying these fairly steady improvements in my barbell exercises. I think for now, since my basic strength is still so low, and I am still so far from my genetic potential, I am going to stick with SS: BBT until the linear gains stop. Once I have that solid foundation of strength, I think going back to the WODs will be much more useful. I will continue with my gymnastics warm ups though, since I do enjoy the tendon conditioning the FSPs provide, and I certainly don't want to lose what I have gained.
    [*:8z696j4w]Started eating raspberries and/or blackberries and sipping goat milk during WODs. Hopefully it helps with recovery, because adding weight (even if it is just 5 lbs) every workout to my squats is a bit taxing. I think I need to eat more overall to support the strength gains I want, and I honestly wouldn't mind gaining a few pounds, especially if it is mostly lean mass.
    [*:8z696j4w]My official Barbell goals (keep in mind this is long term) are: 500lbs deadlift, 400lbs squat, 300lbs Bench Press and C&J, 200lbs OH Press. I am certain this will take some time to acheive, but I also believe these are fairly realistic goals as well.

Freeflyer

WEEK 9

DAY 2(60)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:3ryk33o8]Row 500m @ 1:40
    [*:3ryk33o8]Standard Ring strength warm-up (pg. 5)

Thoughts:

  • [*:3ryk33o8]Yes, that is it. I was going to do the FSPs today, but I think my body wants rest. I don't think I ever imagined a few set of barbell lifts could tax me like this, especially when recovery always seemed so easy before, but I guess I never really pushed strength so much before. I better have some beefy hammies and chesticles after all this, lol.
    [*:3ryk33o8]So the guy across the street came over while I was working out today. He stated he sees me working out all the time, and that he has finally decided to get himself in shape, so he figured I would be a good place to start. Kinda amusing as it was our first conversation. I asked him his goals and he said he wanted to lose his gut and get stronger. I explained how fat loss would come almost entirely from diet, and that working out was mostly to get strong unless he has sport specific goals. I suggested the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf and GCBC by Taubes as starting points in diet, but to certainly do his own research and determine for himself what is the best course. As for strength training, I suggested Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. He did not seem incredibly interested in gymnastics, and SS: BBT is probably one of the best books out there for beginners. It explains in great deal all of the lifts and why, and the program is set up very well for a novice who has never lifted or hasn't lifted in a long time. He seemed very receptive about what I had to say and said he would look into it today, and would be stopping back by from time to time ask questions and get advice, etc.
    [*:3ryk33o8]On that note, it feels awesome to have quite possibly put someone on the track to a healthier lifestyle, whether it is diet, exercise or both. I hope he goes for it, and if so, it will be great practice for when I someday become a S&C coach.

Slizz: I know you love to suggest Wendler's 5/3/1 program when people ask about powerlifting and while I agree it is great, it is really an intermediate program. Beginners can benefit much more from the linear progressions of SS until they are no longer beginners, at which time 5/3/1 because a great tool. From what I have read, both Rip and Wendler agree with this theory or at least that is what I have gathered from the strength forums.

Joshua Naterman

I absolutely agree. I think that 531 is an important read, because it discusses assistance work and the importance of a long term training plan, but you are right. Starting strength is often a much better beginner's program. Brooks Kubic is of the same opinion, more or less.

Freeflyer

WEEK 9

DAY 3(61)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:my62k8al]Run 1 mi @ 6:30
    [*:my62k8al]Standard Pushing Warm Up (pg.4 )
    [*:my62k8al]FSP B (pg. 4)

SS WOD:

  • [*:my62k8al]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x5x65lbs, 1x5x115lbs, 1x5x155lbs, 3x5x195lbs
    [*:my62k8al]Bench Press: 1x5x45lbs, 1x5x85lbs, 1x5x120lbs, 3x5x140lbs
    [*:my62k8al]DeadLift: 1x5x145lbs, 1x5x195lbs, 1x5x235lbs, 1x5x275lbs, 1x5x300lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:my62k8al]On deadlifts: did shrugs at the top of each rep for the first two sets, mostly out of boredom. Used clean-hook grip on all sets expect the working set, had to use a mixed grip on that one
    [*:my62k8al]I find it amusing that my current pace for my warm up run is faster than I used to run when tested.
    [*:my62k8al]Bench Press improvement is still very slow... but if I can keep up the current pace of 5lbs/week I could hit 200lbs in 4 months. That would be pretty nice.

AlexX
slizzardman said:
I absolutely agree. I think that 531 is an important read, because it discusses assistance work and the importance of a long term training plan, but you are right. Starting strength is often a much better beginner's program. Brooks Kubic is of the same opinion, more or less.

Haha it's funny that you like Wendler's program too. I recommend it to almost anyone for weightlifting who is looking to do a program long term. As for Nick, Wendler himself actually recommends Starting Strength for beginners and he is a of a very high opinion of Rippetoe. Wendler "You have to be an idiot not to listen to what this man [Rippetoe] has to say."

I didn't read your entire log but I am curious as when you add Olympic Lifts in?

Freeflyer
AlexX said:

Haha it's funny that you like Wendler's program too. I recommend it to almost anyone for weightlifting who is looking to do a program long term. As for Nick, Wendler himself actually recommends Starting Strength for beginners and he is a of a very high opinion of Rippetoe. Wendler "You have to be an idiot not to listen to what this man [Rippetoe] has to say."

I didn't read your entire log but I am curious as when you add Olympic Lifts in?

Other than some really light skill work, I am currently taking a break from weightlifting. Strength was my biggest overall problem after talking to a few coaches, so for the time being, I am just working on my basic barbell strength,with the gymnastics stuff as a warm up mostly.

Once I get my lifts up to reasonable numbers, I will start weightlifting again. Not sure what my plan is for that yet, or whether it or gymnastics will take precedence as my main "sport" but for now I just need to get stronger.

Freeflyer

WEEK 9

DAY 5(63)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:icetotmg]1mi run @ 6:25
    [*:icetotmg]Standard Rings warm up (pg. 5)
    [*:icetotmg]FSP A (pg. 4)

SS WOD:

  • [*:icetotmg]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x5x65lbs, 1x5x120lbs, 1x5x165lbs, 3x5x200lbs
    [*:icetotmg]OH Press: 1x5x45lbs, 1x5x60lbs, 1x5x75lbs, 3x5x85lbs
    [*:icetotmg]Weighted Pull Up: 1x5x7.5lbs, 1x5x12.5lbs, 1x5x17.5lbs, 3x5x22.5lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:icetotmg]Mile time gets better every time :)
    [*:icetotmg]Back squats seemed easier today than the last two times even though I am still increasing the weight. I suppose that is a good thing though :).
    [*:icetotmg]Wife is improving pretty well on SS too. Her deadlifts are looking great. She'll catch up to me soon enough, lol.

Razz

That's a pretty good miletime! Wish I could do that :mrgreen:

Freeflyer

WEEK 10

DAY 1(66)

AM

Navy Physical Fitness Assessment:

  • [*:3qb5lf8v]Sit and Reach: Sit on ground and touch you toes with straight legs to pass. Stupid easy...
    [*:3qb5lf8v]2min maximum "sit ups": 105
    [*:3qb5lf8v]2min maximum pushups: 88
    [*:3qb5lf8v]450m swim: 7:20

Thoughts:

  • [*:3qb5lf8v]Stopped with 20sec left on clock for sit ups because I had already maxed out the score with relatively no effort. Could have kept going and easily broken 130...
    [*:3qb5lf8v]Needed 88 pushups to max out test so that is what I did. Could have done more maybe, but it would have been wasted effort. On pushups, back must break plane of the elbow, and any bowing or arching of the back ends the test. Touching the ground at any point ends the test as well.
    [*:3qb5lf8v]Swim... I was slow today... I have have swam this in 30sec faster before, but then again I haven't swam except once in the past 2 months... Still scored 90/100 on the swim
    [*:3qb5lf8v]With absolutely no specific training for the Navy PFA I scored 290/300. What a joke. Military PT tests are so useless.

Freeflyer

WEEK 10

DAY 1(66)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:f25jm25u]run 1mi, untimed
    [*:f25jm25u]Standard pushing warm up (Pg. 4)
    [*:f25jm25u]FSP B (pg.4)

SS WOD:

  • [*:f25jm25u]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x5x65lbs, 1x5x120lbs, 1x5x165lbs, 3x5x205lbs
    [*:f25jm25u]Bench Press: 1x5x45lbs, 1x5x85lbs, 1x5x120lbs, 3x5x142.5lbs
    [*:f25jm25u]Deadlift: 1x5x145lbs, 1x5x195lbs, 1x5x235lbs, 1x5x280lbs, 1x5x310lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:f25jm25u]Double over hand grip on all warmup sets for deadlift. Mixed grip on working set.
    [*:f25jm25u]Back squats are finally starting to get a little hard. May have to drop down to 3lbs per workout instead of 5. Not yet though, I will make it to 225lbs first.

Joshua Naterman

Have you looked at Pavel's cycles from PTTP? They may help you with your squatting. It's basically just going up by 5 lbs per workout, much as you are doing, until you can no longer hit your target number of reps with perfect form. Then you knock off 30-40 lbs and start up the ladder again. You pretty much always end up higher than you were, and for most of the cycle you aren't even all that tired! Just putting that out there. I think it is a good way to treat a secondary priority movement and to take a break from intensive training when it is needed. It's actually not all that different from 531's approach to the resistance modulation, it just uses less sets.

Freeflyer

I haven't read it, but I know the theory. Actually, what I plan to do is quite similar. After gains at 2.5lbs per workout are no longer feasible, I will reset to 60-65% of whatever I am at and build back up at 5lbs/workout again. I will probably do the same with all of the workouts, but the for the presses, I will use smaller weight increments (likely after 2lbs stops working) and the deadlift I will reset after 5lbs gains stop.

Next week I will be in Japan and likely won't have much chance to workout and the following week is the seminar, so when I come back I will probably knock 5-10lbs off of wherever I was and keep going until I stall. I guess I can look at it as a slight deload (although sooner than I would ideally like).

On a positive note I am not nearly as exhausted after the WODs as I was the second week (first week I started fairly low so it wasn't too bad). I do the workouts in the evening as it is, so if I am pretty tired afterward, that is a good thing, since I tend to have a lot of sleep issues.

I don't know if I will ever switch to 5/3/1. Hopefully this carries me close enough to my goals that I can just get back into mostly gymnastics and O-lifts while doing maybe one of these lifts/week to keep them steady (well Squats and deadlifts will always be there in place of the GB leg WODs I think, so maybe I will use that programming there at least to some extent.)

Freeflyer

WEEK 10

DAY 2(67)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:1eg2c9ea]Row 500m @ 1:47
    [*:1eg2c9ea]Jump rope skills 3min
    [*:1eg2c9ea]Standard Pulling Warm Up (pg. 4)
    [*:1eg2c9ea]FSP A (pg. 4)

WOD:

  • [*:1eg2c9ea]5min AMRAP: 10 Double unders, 10 KB Swings 24kg - 5 rounds + 10DU

Thoughts:
  • [*:1eg2c9ea]I'm really gonna push it pretty hard this weak and overreach a bit since next week will be almost to working out at all. No extra strength work really, but extra GPP/metcon type stuff mostly.
    [*:1eg2c9ea]Didn't get enough sleep last night, definitely felt it a little today
    [*:1eg2c9ea]Made some changes to the pulling warm up, noting on the warm posts: 25lbs pull ups down to 15lbs, 10 chin ups now with eagle loops, switch behind the neck pull ups with wide grip L pull ups.

Freeflyer

WEEK 10

DAY 3(68)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:3kiaef17]Run 800m - 2:50
    [*:3kiaef17]Standard Ring Strength Warm Up (pg. 5)
    [*:3kiaef17]FSP B

SS WOD:

  • [*:3kiaef17]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x5x65lbs, 1x5x120lbs, 1x5x165lbs, 3x5x210lbs
    [*:3kiaef17]OH Press: 1x5x45lbs, 1x5x60lbs, 1x5x75lbs, 3x5x90lbs
    [*:3kiaef17]Weighted Chin/Pull Ups: 1x5x7.5lbs, 1x5x12.5lbs, 1x5x17.5lbs, 3x5x25lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:3kiaef17]A bit tired today. Maybe the WOD yesterday wasn't so wise? Tomorrow is definitely a full rest day.
    [*:3kiaef17]OHP sucks so much. I have a really hard time not arching my back and staying fully straight.

Freeflyer

WEEK 10

DAY 5(70)

AM

Warm Up:

  • [*:2v58scpy]3 rounds: 10 burpees, 20 walking lunges
    [*:2v58scpy]Ballistic stretches

Command PT:

  • [*:2v58scpy]4.5mi run apprx 35-36min

Thoughts:
  • [*:2v58scpy]First time I ran over 1mi (except for once where I ran two) in 3 months, and I haven't ran 4 in about 9 months. Actually was really easy, I wasn't winded at all. Didn't really push it, but I coulda kept that up for a good while longer.

Freeflyer

WEEK 10

DAY 5(70)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:19flprvi]FSP A (pg. 4)

SS WOD:
  • [*:19flprvi]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x5x65lbs, 1x5x120lbs, 1x5x165lbs, 3x5x215lbs
    [*:19flprvi]Bench Press: 1x5x45lbs, 1x5x85lbs, 1x5x120lbs, 3x5x145lbs
    [*:19flprvi]Deadlift: 1x5x145lbs, 1x5x185lbs, 1x5x235lbs, 1x5x280lbs, 1x5x320lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:19flprvi]Wife said Back Squats looked shitty. Well I am going to Japan next week, so a week off of rest and a small reset (15lbs) hopefully will cure that.
    [*:19flprvi]Bench Press felt pretty easy today
    [*:19flprvi]Deadlift felt freakin heavy... I am blaming the deadlifts and squats on that stupid run this morning. Hopefully that is all it was at least.

Freeflyer

WEEK 11

DAY 1(73)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:2x6nun1r]Run 1mi @ 6:40
    [*:2x6nun1r]Standard Ring Strength Warm up (pg. 5)
    [*:2x6nun1r]FSP B

SS WOD:

  • [*:2x6nun1r]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x5x45lbs, 1x5x120lbs, 1x5x165lbs, 3x5x225lbs
    [*:2x6nun1r]OH Press: 1x5x45lbs, 1x5x65lbs, 1x5x80lbs, 3x5x95lbs
    [*:2x6nun1r]Weighted Pull/Chin Ups: 1x5x7.5lbs, 1x5x12.5lbs, 1x5x17.5lbs, 3x5x27.5lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:2x6nun1r]Decided to make a 10lbs jump on the squats today since I wont be doing them for the next week. It was tough, but I eeked em out. The last rep on each set was pretty brutal. First 3 were still pretty easy though.
    [*:2x6nun1r]Made a change to the FSP today. I got rid of the XR L-sit and added just an XR support and parallette L-sit, also shortened the German Hang. I realized my L-sits were really low on the rings, and my elbows weren't locked, so it really was doing my no good at all. After doing XR supports today with locked elbows, I definitely know I messed up by trying to jump ahead like that, hopefully this change will help.

Freeflyer

Well, it has been a while since I've posted. Mostly because it has been a while since I've done any working.

I learned a lot at the seminar and it is finally time to get back on track and implement it. There are certainly going to be some changes to my routine, and I think it will be for the best. Most importantly I will be focusing much more on the basics and pre-req's and for the first time, really getting after the join pre-hab and flexibility work.

I have also decided to get back onto the WODs, with some minor modifications. Leg days will be my own programming to reach the goals I want. Max strength leg days will continue with the 3x5 across low bar back squats, followed by deadlifts, likely on a 8-5-5-3-3-1-1-1 program. If there is anything left in the tank after that, possibly some single leg work or sled drags. Dynamic leg days will also have the 3x5across back squats followed by some form of dynamic leg work based on the prescribed WOD. Once I reach my first goal weight of 300lbs back squat for 3x5 I will switch to front squats on dynamic days and back squats on max strength.

Basic strength days will now also include Bench Press, although I am not sure what rep/set scheme yet. Likely 3x5across for now.

I am going for 2 workouts/day. The morning workout is really more of a prehab workout than anything. It will consist of a warm up, basics tumbling exercises, lots of stretching, daily joint prep, and pre-reqs for FL/BL/PL and ring work.

Rope climbs are now a daily activity. They will start with 1 climb per workout at the end of the warm up, and each week I will add 2 rope climbs total (for the week) until I am up to at least 5 climbs with little to no rest per workout, then I will start adding weight.

Press to handstand work will be added into warmups for the afternoon wods.

Currently my morning workout takes a little over an hour, but once my conditioning improves my goal is about 45min. Once I get to this point I will slowly start phasing the olympic lifts back into my routine as part of the morning workouts.

Hopefully I will be able to start doing Mobility WODs as well. I want to start from the beginning and do 2/day until I catch, but that depends on my level of motivation and free time.

Diet is hopefully in for some good changes, and I am going to do my very best to be stricter about it... I have been really bad for the past month and a half, and it is really time I start taking it seriously.

Finally, since I am doing such a major revamp to my routine, and since I took such a long time off, I am going to restart my WOD counter. I will take some pictures and measurements this week so I have something to compare to in a few months. Hopefully by the next seminar I am ready to kick some ass.

Freeflyer

WEEK 1

DAY 1(1)

AM

Warm Up:

  • [*:2fwevex2]5min of jumping rope - work single unders at various speeds, crossovers, foot work, backwards, and double unders
    [*:2fwevex2]Basic tumbling routine - 45ft - rolls, quadrapedal movements, cartwheels, HS walks, etc
    [*:2fwevex2]Dynamic, active and passive stretching - Hamstrings, Shoulders, traps, lower back - Most everything from the seminar warmups
    [*:2fwevex2]1 15ft rope climb

WOD:

  • [*:2fwevex2]Wrist series from seminar
    [*:2fwevex2]Knee series from seminar
    [*:2fwevex2]Hip series - Ido's squat clinic
    [*:2fwevex2]3min total of plank supports on rings. Working on building up to 3x60s before moving to supports.
    [*:2fwevex2]3x30s Hollow Hold - building to 3x60s - add 5sec/set per week
    [*:2fwevex2]3x30s Arch Hold - same as hollow holds
    [*:2fwevex2]5min total Wall handstands - build to 5min straight then work on freestanding.
    [*:2fwevex2]1min total L-sit on paralletes - building to 3x60s on floor

Notes:

  • [*:2fwevex2]This took me longer than I would have liked. About 75min. The goal is to do this with no rest so it is closer to 45min.
    [*:2fwevex2]My core strength felt pathetic today. I hope it is just because I am coming back from a long break.

Freeflyer

WEEK 1

DAY 1(1)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:2t8puoi9]Run 800m - 2:50
    [*:2t8puoi9]8min of leg and hip stretches
    [*:2t8puoi9]1 rope climb

Dynamic Leg WOD:

  • [*:2t8puoi9]Low Bar Back Squats: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x4x175lbs, 3x5x210lbs
    [*:2t8puoi9]2rounds of: 3min rest between rounds
    --20 KB swings - 16kg
    --50ft standing broad jumps
    --10 box/depth jumps hip height

Notes:

  • [*:2t8puoi9]Taking that long off really made me feel those squats :/ Hopefully it is just knocking the rust off, since that is 15lbs less than before I stopped.
    [*:2t8puoi9]KB was too light. Next time I will either increase the reps, or use a heavier KB
    [*:2t8puoi9]Box jumps were relatively easy, but I don't really have a lot more height I can add. Instead I think I will start adding a weight vest to dynamic days.
    [*:2t8puoi9]Forgot to do Press to Handstand work today :x

Freeflyer

Did the first mobility WOD yesterday. 10min in a 3rd world squat position. Not really that hard... but then I try to sit like that every day for at least a little bit.

Skipped the morning workout today. I had to be in work early today and had the choice between 6 1/2hrs of sleep and a workout or 8hrs of sleep and no workout, so I took the extra sleep. It is the recovery that makes us stronger... I will just add the essential joint pre-hab into my warm-up this evening for my very heavily modified ring strength routine, lol.

Hope to actually get in two mobility WODs today. I am tired of being stiff as a board. Maybe wednesday's I will try to get an extra one since it is a rest day. Also considering doing the p90x stretch video on sundays... I think that a small amount of activity like that will be better than complete rest for healing.