This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Nick's Functional Fitness

Started by Freeflyer, August 29, 2010 · 230 Replies · 12,562 Views

Freeflyer

This is my first post here on the forums, so I guess I should introduce myself. Obviously my name is Nick and I am a 24y/o Navy EOD Tech. I have been lurking in these forums for about a month now, but I've finally decided to make an account since I will be starting the WODs on Monday.

I would like to think I have a decent fitness background since it is required for my job. I have also been doing crossfit for about 4 months steadily now; I had done it off and on along with other PT before that. I was quite surprised at just how difficult some of the gymnastics was when I decided to give it a shot. I have done a few random WODs while just to see how they felt and let me tell you, they are an awesome strength workout. The static positions are quite intense as well.

As far as my goals, I am looking for all around functional fitness for daily life as well as combat. I think that these WODs will be very helpful in developing strength, coordination, power, flexibility, and to some degree muscular endurance and work capacity. But since my goal is not just to be a gymnast but to be the fittest I can be, I also plan on supplementing this training with some of my own. My basic schedule will be as follows:

Monday: AM - Crossfit Endurance; PM - GBWOD

Tuesday: AM - Olympic weightlifting; PM - GBWOD

Wednesday: AM - Sleep in; PM - Crossfit Endurance

Thursday: AM - Olympic weightlifting; PM - GBWOD

Friday: AM - Crossfit Endurance; PM - GBWOD

Fri + Sat: active rest

I know this seems like quite the workload, even to me, but I think it is doable since I will be performing both the GBWODs and OLY WODs as 4-8 week static cycles. I have gotten pretty good at listening to my body over the past few years after injuring myself a few times, I know if my body asks for rest, there is nothing wrong with taking a day easy or even off.

I'll be using this thread to post all of WODs so please feel free to critique, ask questions, or whatever. See you all in the discussions soon!

Freeflyer

Just got back from a Olympic Weightlifting seminar today with Wilkes Weightlifting here in Chesapeake, VA. It was pretty awesome. They definitely helped me improve my form a bit, which was sorely needed since I mostly train on my own in my garage.

The head coach and his 3 sons, all of whom are accomplished weightlifters, were awesome coaches. And since there were only 11 students, there was a lot of 1 on 1 instruction. They are very big on the full lifts, every snatch and clean is a deep squat. Not a power lifting squat to 90, but a butt to heels olympic squat. Also none of those power snatches or cleans.

I made an awesome PR today on the Full Clean and Jerk today of 180lbs, up from 155lbs last time I tried. My jerk form is pretty sloppy, but at least I know what to work at when I am doing lighter weights now. I only tied my current PR for the Full snatch which is 135lbs. I am fairly certain after my first static cycle I will be able to push that up a bit. I know my main weakness there is shoulder strength, which I am sure these gymnastics WOD will help a whole lot with.

I've also decided to change my workout plan just slightly. Instead of do Mon/Wed/Fri CFE and Tues/Thurs Oly every week, I am going to switch back and forth each week. This way I will get more weightlifting practice and have to run less. I pretty much despise running further than a mile anyway, so I won't feel too terribly bad about it :).

Freeflyer

So for the past few weeks, I have been laying low because I felt like I may have injured my shoulder trying to do a snatch that was much heavier than I should have. After recently reading a bit about trigger points I decided to give it a shot today. Using a tennis ball, I layed on all of the associated trigger points in my shoulder and upper arm. I pretty much just used my body weight until I felt a sufficient amount of pressure then slowly rotated in small circles on that spot to "massage" it.

After I got done, i decided to test my shoulder through a full range of motion. I didn't fell anything wrong at all. Everything felt exactly as it should, no pain, no tightness, nothing. Even now 30 min later I still don't feel any issues with it.

Now I am not one for miracle cures and get rich quick schemes, but I am definitely going to add trigger point therapy to my routine. I doubt that one little session "cured" my pain, but if it even helps alleviate the pain or heal it quicker, it is definitely worth it. Especially since it only cost me a little time and the price of a tennis ball.

I would recommend anyone with muscle associated pains at the least look into and do some research on the subject.

Joshua Naterman

Deep tissue work like that can really be a miracle. It often only takes me one really painful session with my double baseball sock to completely get rid of any shoulder issues I feel for what appears to be a month on average. They come back less each time since I've started making sure I keep my work well balanced, but it's not in your head.

I will be interested to hear how you feel as you go through your proposed schedule. It's a lot of work. As long as your "crossfit endurance" doesn't involve a lot of Oly lifting I don't think it'll be too bad. I keep wanting to say that I think you will find that you have too much going on but I remember BUD/S and I was fine there. Since you're already fairly well adapted to endurance work maybe you won't be doing too much, I guess it just depends. Welcome to the site!

Freeflyer

Thanks for the welcome, Slizzardman. I've enjoyed some of your video tutorials.

As for the workload, crossfit endurance for me is pretty much all running (although if my shins are hurting a lot I will row or swim instead). It is just primarily intervals. The plan is M/F interval days and wed (short) distance day. Generally not more than 5k since I have little to no interest in long runs. On the opposite week they will probably be T intervals, Th sprints (much more rest in between than intervals).

I realize it is a fairly large workload, so I will be keeping tabs on my body and take extra rest when needed. Right now I have every 5th week planned as an easy week. So my current schedule would be 4 weeks static, 1 week easy, new 4 week static, etc. During that easy week I will probably do little more than test some new maxes on FSP and O-lifts, so it should be a good amount of recovery.

Freeflyer

WEEK 1

DAY 1

AM

Warmup:

  • [*:3skiblsx]row 750m at easy 2:00min/500m pace.
    [*:3skiblsx]10 overhead squats with empty bar (45lbs).
    [*:3skiblsx]Light stretching.
    [*:3skiblsx]Ramp up into run with 400m easy

CFE WOD

  • [*:3skiblsx]12x1 minute intervals, Rest 30sec between intervals. Hold maximal distance possible on each interval.

Thoughts:
  • [*:3skiblsx]This was a toughie. I really pushed it on all but two of those intervals and felt close to throwing up on someones yard a few times. The neighborhood probably already thinks I am really weird since they see my out running all the tine without a shirt but with skins that cover my calves. I am sure it wouldn't have surprised them too much much if I was doubled over n their yard.
    [*:3skiblsx]As far as the run itself, I covered about 2.15 mi total (according to mapmyrun) including the walking i do during rest periods (not a very fast walk mind you) so I would assume close to 2mi worth of running.
    [*:3skiblsx]Shins weren't thrilled as usual, but I guess I just have to suck that up, since I've pretty much been told to get over my shin splints or get ready for a Career review board. At least they don't hurt like they used, just a little sore after runs, but nothing that a little ice and a foam roller can't take care of.

Joshua Naterman

You know about toe raises, right? For shin splints? Strengthening anterior tibialis?

Also, how are you running? If you're running heel to toe, that's why you have shin splints. You're supposed to run on your toes. Look at every animal in nature, they all do it. Every last one. The forces in EVERY JOINT instantly decrease by 33% when you start running on the balls of your feet! That's hard science as well as what should be common sense, if you consider the fact that we are born for survival, and our survival kit does not include cushy shoes. Why do you think many poor countries dominate distance running events? Being barefoot keeps their feet strong and allows for a cleaner power transfer through the stride. It's interesting.

Anyhow, just lean your back against a wall or your car or something, and lift your toes as high as you can while standing on your heels with straight legs. You'll probably want your feet a foot or so from whatever you are leaning against. You can also start walking on your heels. Don't overdo this, you'll be sore as hell for like a week.

Between this and daily standing pike and specific calf stretching you should find that your shin splints disappear over the course of a month or so. Keep doing your foam rolling, and don't run on your heels if you currently do so! The only time that happens is in an all-out sprint, and even then the ball of the foot is making contact almost immediately and taking the brunt of the impact. For non-all out sprints you should only be running on the balls of your foot.

Sorry to harp like that, but that stuff makes a massive difference.

Freeflyer

Not a problem at all. I actually do all of that already. Toe raises while I am sitting around at work or home at the comupter, Tibialis, calf and achilles stretches, etc.

I've been pose running for some time now. I used to run a lot in the VFFs but then I too about 6 months off (just being lazy) and when I started up again is when the pain started. That was probably in April. Since then it has come and gone, it got really bad for a short period of time, bad enough to make me stop running in the middle of a PT test. That was back in May. I took almost 3 full months off from running again and started building back into over the past month or so. They definitely hurt less from running faster than slower (I think I naturally improve my form the faster I run).

My legs don't hurt after every running session these days. Just occasionally. Usually it is nothing too terrible, just a dull ache. I throw on some ice packs then use a foam roller on the calves followed by tennis ball in a sock on my tibialis'. I just started the foam roller and tennis balls this weekend though and they seem to be awesome. Hopefully it is mostly just associate muscle pain and this clears it up. It definitely seems to be helping at the least.

Freeflyer

First full GBWOD :D

WEEK 1

DAY 1

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:zw8iqh0q]1000m row @ 2min pace to get loose and sweaty
    [*:zw8iqh0q]10 Shoulder Dislocates
    [*:zw8iqh0q]5 Wall extensions
    [*:zw8iqh0q]Superset 3 sets of 20sec frog stand/3 sets of 20sec Planche Lean with feet even with head
    [*:zw8iqh0q]Superset 3 sets of 15sec XR shoulder stand - feet on outside of straps squeezing in for balance/2 sets of 30 sec Handstand - belly to wall, use wall as little as possible
    [*:zw8iqh0q]Superset 5 sets of 10sec XR support/5 sets 10 bent knee straddle L (hands inside legs)

WOD:

3 rounds:

  • [*:zw8iqh0q]1 tuck Back Lever - roll into from inverted pike, roll out of into inverted pike; 5 tempo XR Bulgarian row - feet elevated to be slightly above head in rest postion
    [*:zw8iqh0q]1 kipping muscle up into low(ish) straight leg XR L-sit; 5 tempo Psuedo Planche Pushup (no plus here, I tried a few but it was really just a hop and added nothing to the workout) -feet elevated to be above hands
    [*:zw8iqh0q]1 Advanced Tuck Front Lever - lower into from inverted hang, lower out of to floor; 5 tempo body lever. These were very new to me and took some figuring out. The first 2 rounds I did pike up to straight body negative. Only issue was I could not stop myself from stopping on the floor between reps like this. Last round I did in the advanced tuck position. This was much easier to control at the bottom where I had some trouble with the other version, although I didn't feel like I got nearly as much out of it it in the top 85% of the movement.
    [*:zw8iqh0q]2x5 wall extensions. I got my hand about9 inches from the ground on all of these and used my arms as little as possible to pull myself back up.
    [*:zw8iqh0q]2x30 weighted pike stretch

Thoughts:

  • [*:zw8iqh0q]Wow, this was one heck of a core buster. If I keep up with core WODs like this by the time I deploy next year I will be able to take a bullet in the abs without armor, lol.
    [*:zw8iqh0q]Upper back is feeling a little sore are well. That foam roller sure felt good after this WOD. Some thoracic rolls and lat rolls really did the trick.
    [*:zw8iqh0q]It feels a little different ending a WOD with so much energy left. I am so used to CF WODs where it is always all out for time and by the time I am finished I am laying on the deck making sweat angels.
    [*:zw8iqh0q]2-3 minute breaks seem to take forever. I never know what to do with myself during those time. Maybe I should bring a book next WOD, lol. On the other hand 20sec seems to go by in a flash.
    [*:zw8iqh0q]Those bulgarian rows were surprisingly hard. I have done plenty of ring rows before but never that style and rarely at a tempo. I think my form sucked on a lot of them because I know my upper arms like to slip down (elbows towards hips) away from being perpendicular to my torso. I also could not get a good 90 at the elbows on the top. The angle was usually much smaller.

Freeflyer

WEEK 1

DAY 2

AM

Warm Up:

  • [*:jwffesrr]500m row @ 2min pace
    [*:jwffesrr]20 KB swings - 24kg[*:jwffesrr]5 L pull ups (i seem to be able to maintain a better L if my arms are flexed)
    [*:jwffesrr]5 feet on ground muscle ups
    [*:jwffesrr]2 round of 10 overhead squats/5 dead hang snatches - 45lbs
    [*:jwffesrr]10 shoulder dislocates
    [*:jwffesrr]5 Wall Extensions
    [*:jwffesrr]10 Tempo GHD situps

Olympic Lifting WOD:

  • [*:jwffesrr]20 squat snatches @ 70% 1RM, 1 snatch every minute on the minute - 1RM = 135lbs, 70% = 95lbs
    [*:jwffesrr]15 squat Clean + Jerk @ 70% 1RM, 1 C+J every minute on the minute - 1RM = 180lbs, 70% = 125lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:jwffesrr]Dropped the bar 3 times during first 6 snatches. This was because I was not squeezing my shoulders together so they were too loose. Once I realized what I was doing I focused on it and all other snatches were perfomed well.
    [*:jwffesrr]Jerks are still sloppy as hell. I really need to work on getting down lower and ripping the bar apart.

Freeflyer

Today was a sweat angel day :o

WEEK 1

DAY 2

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:2uf4fkas]500m row @ 2min pace
    [*:2uf4fkas]10 shoulder dislocates
    [*:2uf4fkas]8 wall extensions
    [*:2uf4fkas]3 x 20 sec German Hang
    [*:2uf4fkas]Superset 4x15sec advanced tuck front lever/4x10sec low straight leg L sit on Parallettes
    [*:2uf4fkas]Superset 4x15sec tuck back lever/4x10sec (very) bent knee MSH

GB WOD:

  • 4 rounds:
    [*:2uf4fkas]5 XR dips
    [*:2uf4fkas]10 bar dips (10, 8-2, 5-5, 5-3-2)
    [*:2uf4fkas]Rounds 1 & 3 - 15 XR support swings, as big as possible
    [*:2uf4fkas]Rounds 2 & 4 - 15 bar swing dips with very little ROM in the dips
    [*:2uf4fkas]20' L-sit 1 leg L-sit walks, alternating
    [*:2uf4fkas]2x10 wrist pushups on knees

Thoughts:

  • [*:2uf4fkas]MSH was very tough. My knees were generally bent closer than 90 to my thighs. I also don't think I was able to maintain my hips in front of my hands, so I would thrust them out and as they came back I would thrust them out again. Made for a kinda rocking motion, but I never let them travel behind my hands at least.
    [*:2uf4fkas]Dip bars were way too short (just handles really) to do russian dips, so I figured ring dips would be a good sub.
    [*:2uf4fkas]I chose to do the XR support swing for 2 rounds because the swinging is still very awkward to me, and to be honest, i think I got more out it than the poor swing dips I did on the handles.
    [*:2uf4fkas]I am certain my l-sit walks were just terrible. My leg on the cardboard was bent (it wasn't sliding too well on the grass when I tried to keep my leg straight) and my hips were way in front of my hands. I did keep the leg that was up as high as it would go at least.
    [*:2uf4fkas]My chest, shoulders and triceps are fried. That last round was miserable.

Freeflyer

WEEK 1

DAY 3

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:3cjrbjpa]1000m row @ 2min Pace
    [*:3cjrbjpa]10 feet on floor muscle ups - mostly just trying to get the feel for a slow transition since I am used to kipping
    [*:3cjrbjpa]10 Turkish Get-ups w/ 16kg KB, 5ea side
    [*:3cjrbjpa]10 tempo GHD situps
    [*:3cjrbjpa]10 tempo hand-release push ups

Endurance WOD:

  • [*:3cjrbjpa]Run 1mi @ 7:15, walk 3 min
    [*:3cjrbjpa]Run 1mi @ 7:20, rest 2 min
    [*:3cjrbjpa]Row 400m @ 1:43/500m , rest 45sec
    [*:3cjrbjpa]Row 200m @ 1:28/500m

Thoughts:

  • [*:3cjrbjpa]Today was meant to be a fairly light day. Easy warm up to get joints loose and blood flowing. Focused on slow proper form.
    [*:3cjrbjpa]Hand release pushup are when you takes the hand off the floor at the bottom of the push up. Yes your chest does rest on the ground when you do this. It is a method to ensure full ROM. I actually find these harder than normal chest to deck pushups.
    [*:3cjrbjpa]Runs were at moderate pace. Probably could have stepped it up a bit, but I just wasn't feelin the speed today.
    [*:3cjrbjpa]Shins did not hurt at all today!! Still icing them down as a preventative measure, but this is a really good sign.

Freeflyer

Decided to take the morning WOD off today. I didn't feel like waking up early and I was a little sore anyway.

WEEK 1

DAY 4

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:1xjj16cl]750m row @ 1:55/500m
    [*:1xjj16cl]20 Wall Balls - 20lbs ball 12ft target
    [*:1xjj16cl]Superset 3 x 20sec Frog Stand/3 x 20sec Planche Lean - feet elevated to head level
    [*:1xjj16cl]Superset 3 x 15sec XR shoulder stand/2 x 30sec wall handstand - belly to wall, hands as close to wall as possible
    [*:1xjj16cl]Superset 5 x 10 sec XR support/5 x 10sec bent knee straddle L - hands between legs

GB WOD:

  • [*:1xjj16cl]5 x 5 Half GHR raise using GHD machine - went as far as I could with the straight body then piked at hips and came back up trying to hold hips in the same spot, then raised back to starting position.
    [*:1xjj16cl]3 x 10 SLS - 5 each leg, no weight, stood on box so floating leg could hang lower
    [*:1xjj16cl]5 weighted sprints - did these with a 45lbs back pack and 55lbs kettle bells in each hand. Sprint 20m forward, then 20m backward run.
    [*:1xjj16cl]3 x 10 hip extensions - only did the forward motion. Forgot about doing it out the the side. Can barely make 90.

Thoughts:

  • [*:1xjj16cl]GHRs were much harder than I expected them to be. It was a rather humbling exercise, and I started to cramp up some in the Hammies and calves.
    [*:1xjj16cl]I really enjoy leg days overall, and consider myself to have above average muscular endurance in the legs (not so much strength), so I added to the WOD to make it as difficult as I could for my time limit.
    [*:1xjj16cl]There is a noticeable strength difference in my legs on SLS. My left leg is definitely weaker. I also do not have the active the flexibility to do these on the ground yet.

Freeflyer

Took yesterday off due to some serious DOMS and overall ricketiness. I also decided to do just 1 WOD today instead of the 2 I skipped yesterday. So I added in the GB FSP to my O-lifting WOD. Chose weightlifting instead of gymnastics because it is a skill I need to work on consistently to stay up at.

WEEK 1

DAY 6

PM

Wam Up:

  • [*:u10htsso]Row 1000m @ 1:55/500m
    [*:u10htsso]15 wallball - 20lbs, 12ft target
    [*:u10htsso]8 Turkish Get-ups, 4ea side - 16kg KB
    [*:u10htsso]10 shoulder dislocates, 10 wall extensions
    [*:u10htsso]Burgener Warm-up
    [*:u10htsso]Superset 3 x 20sec German Hang/3 x 20 Headstand
    [*:u10htsso]Superset 4 x 15sec Advanced tuck Front Lever/4 x 10sec Low straight leg L-sit
    [*:u10htsso]Superset 4 x 15sec Tuck Back Lever/4 x 10sec bent knee MSH

Olympic Lifting WOD:

  • [*:u10htsso]20 x 1 Full Snatches @ 70% 1RM (95lbs) - 1 rep every minute on the minute
    [*:u10htsso]15 x 1 Full Clean + Jerk @ 70% 1RM (125lbs) - 1 rep every minute on the minute

Thoughts:

  • [*:u10htsso]Warm up took way too long. I should have moved through it quicker and took less rest.
    [*:u10htsso]Decided to add in headstands to the FSP warmups, I need the balance work and the neck strength.
    [*:u10htsso]Much better form on the snatches and C+Js today. Did drop one Clean, but only because I wasn't paying attention. Did a 5 burpee penalty to make up for it.

Freeflyer

WEEK 2

DAY 1(8)

AM

Warm Up:

  • [*:270w2dkv]500m Row @ 1:55/500m
    [*:270w2dkv]1 x 20 Alternating straight arm shoulder flye - 5lbs dumbbells
    [*:270w2dkv]1 x 20 Cuban Press - 5lbs dumbbells
    [*:270w2dkv]1 x 12 shoulder dislocates
    [*:270w2dkv]60sec sungods - 5lbs dumbbells 30sec forward/30sec backward

Endurance WOD:

  • [*:270w2dkv]2mi run - 14:50

Thoughts:
  • [*:270w2dkv]Worked mostly on rotator cuff stuff this morning. My right shoulder is still occasionally bothering me, so I am really going to get serious about the prehab.
    [*:270w2dkv]Run felt awesome. No shin pain at all. Definitely happy about that. It is also the first time I have run 2mi in under 15min in a while. So that was really nice to feel like I am actually getting something accomplished.
    [*:270w2dkv]Hamstrings are still really tight from the GHRs last thursday. The run helped loosen them up a little, but wow... It has been hard just to touch my toes the past few day my hammies were so tight.

Freeflyer

WEEK 2

DAY 1(8)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:3om10ze6]500m row @ 1:52/500m
    [*:3om10ze6]1 x 10 kipping pull ups, 1 x 5 strict pull ups
    [*:3om10ze6]1 x 16 straight arm shoulder flyes - 5lbs dumbbells
    [*:3om10ze6]2 x 8 cuban press - 5lbs dumbbells
    [*:3om10ze6]1 x 10 dead hang squat clean - 45lbs
    [*:3om10ze6]1 x 10 dead hang squat snatch - 45lbs
    [*:3om10ze6]Superset 3 x 20sec frog stand/3 x 20 PL lean - feet elevated
    [*:3om10ze6]3 x 30sec wall handstand - belly to wall, hand as close to wall as possible (2-3in)
    [*:3om10ze6]Superset 5 x 10 XR support/ 5 x 10 Bent knee straddle L - hands between legs

GB WOD:

4 rounds:

  • [*:3om10ze6]Rnd 1 - 30 Double Unders; Rnd 2 - 30 DU; Rnd 3 - 30 1 arm catch and switch KB swings, 16kg; Rnd 4 - 25 Wall Balls, 20lbs, 12ft target
    [*:3om10ze6]3 Front Pulls - Advanced tuck up, straddle down
    [*:3om10ze6]5 TOPs Pulls - Advanced Tuck
    [*:3om10ze6]Rnd 1 - 10 Front Lever pulls, tuck; Rnd 2 - 10 Half front lever pulls, tuck; Rnd 3 - 3 tuck Half Front Lever Pulls, 4 advanced tuck front lever pull ups, 3 strict pull ups; Rnd 4 - 10 Strict Pull ups

Thoughts:

  • [*:3om10ze6]Frog stand was a lot more stable today than before. Only one toe tap to keep balance during all 3 sets.
    [*:3om10ze6]Ran this morning so i didn't feel like shuttle runs. Worked other skills that would still get my heart rate up high.
    [*:3om10ze6]It has been waaaaaaay too long since I have done pull ups and especially strict ones. I hadn't done any really for the past 3 weeks almost, and before that, it was almost entirely all kipping pull ups. My strength definitely suffered on this workout, I was dying especially on the FL pulls and had to come off the bar multiple times during each round. I also found it difficult to stop myself from kipping when I got a little tired. I think from now on I will stop all kipping pull-ups unless I am doing a CF WOD for time (competing against someone). I really need to rebuild my strength; today was embarrassing.

Joshua Naterman

I probably wouldn't suggest dropping all kipping pull ups, I mean they are great for power generation if you're doing them right. I'd focus on a more even balance between the strict pull ups and the kipping ones, or maybe a slight preference towards toe strict pull ups for now, but don't just drop the kipping pull ups.

Freeflyer
slizzardman said:
I probably wouldn't suggest dropping all kipping pull ups, I mean they are great for power generation if you're doing them right. I'd focus on a more even balance between the strict pull ups and the kipping ones, or maybe a slight preference towards toe strict pull ups for now, but don't just drop the kipping pull ups.

Well, i suppose I can't completely drop them. I will likely do them on days where we do clapping pullups and the like. Or when I get tired I automatically revert to them anyway. But I definitely need to focus more on strict ones, since they have become a weakness as I learned today.

Joshua Naterman

True that!

Freeflyer

I thnk I am gonna take the rest of this week off from the WODs. I've been told I have to complete 3 PT tests tomorrow, friday and monday and they need to be high scores. I am not really worried about my ability, but I don't think being sore or worn out from a tought WOD the night before will help. Hopefully the extra rest gives my body plenty of time to catch up to itself and I get rid of the rest of this lingering soreness.

I will still be doing a warm up and the FSPs on the same schedule I have been. Most likely that will be more beneficial than doing nothing at all.

PT test consists of max pushups in 2min, max situps in 2min, timed 2mi run

Freeflyer

Airborne PT Test today.

70 pushups in 2min w/ no rest - chest must touch graders hand on the ground

71 sit ups in 2 min w/ no rest - shoulder must come past hips on the upward part and touch the ground between each rep

2 mi run - 15:31

Really shitty run time. Over 40sec slower than my last one. At least it was still passing, but I am definitely faster than that. I always tend to do worse on PT tests though. Oh well, at least it wasn't terrible.

Still going to take the rest of the week off from PT since my body was feeling a little rickety over all. I probably should have taken a week off before I started my new program so I was ready for instead of rolling straight into it from heavy CF WODs.

Freeflyer

It's been a whole week since I have done a WOD or any real exercise at all besides a relatively easy PT test. I probably needed the week off since it had been sometime since I went easy, but it is definitely time to get back into it. I realized I have a hard time sticking to a healthy diet when I am not working out as well. Got sent to DC on a mission this weekend and ended up eating a lot of carb loaded crap like sushi (I am usually a sashimi guy), pizza, mexican, fries, alcohol, and a giant chocolate chip belgian waffle. Of course I felt like crap later for it, but I suppose a little indulgence every blue moon won't kill me.

WEEK 3

DAY 1(15)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:kmgves1g]500m Row @ 1:50/500m
    [*:kmgves1g]3 rounds of: 20 Pushups; 5 dead hang snatch - 45lbs; 6 1-sided (pull chin up along one arm and back down that arm, switch sides each rep) chest to bar pull-ups; 10 tempo GHD situps; 10 Overhead squats - 45lbs; 3 tempo XR dips; 5 dead hang cleans - 45lbs
    [*:kmgves1g]Superset 3 x 20sec frogstand/3 x 20sec PL Lean
    [*:kmgves1g]Superset 3 x 15sec XR shoulder stand/3 x 30sec Wall Handstand
    [*:kmgves1g]Superset 5 x 10sec XR support/ 5 x 10sec bent knee straddle L
    [*:kmgves1g]18' Rope climb, no feet up, foot assisted cirque down

GB WOD:

  • [*:kmgves1g]5 x 5 Weighted Run - 45lbs backpack, 24KG kettlebells ea hand (apprx 160lbs total); rnds 1,3,5 sprint 20m forward, 20m backward run; rnds 2,4 sprint agility "T" (run 10m forward, 5m sidestep right, 10m sidestep left, 5m sidestep right, 10m backwards)
    [*:kmgves1g]5 x 5 Half GHR
    [*:kmgves1g]2 x 10 weighted Killers - 75lbs bar in OH Squat position rnd 1; 95lbs bar in back rack rnd 2
    [*:kmgves1g]3 x 20sec XR bent knee Straddle L - rnd 1 both hands outside, rnds 2,3 alternate 1 hand inside legs

Thoughts:

  • [*:kmgves1g]Extensive warm up today since I barely worked out at all the past week. I felt the need to get my body back into the groove for most all movements.
    [*:kmgves1g]Frog stands are feeling more stable every time, a lot less toe taps for balance. I am starting to try and get my hips higher when I am holding these.
    [*:kmgves1g]This was a nice WOD to get back into the swing of things. I love leg workouts, and this one has my nemesis: GHRs.
    [*:kmgves1g]I like to go heavy on the weighted runs even though I cannot full out sprint with that weight, because I find it is more similar to dragging people, something that is a very real part of my job. I still keep it at a weight where I am running and not walking though.
    [*:kmgves1g]Did a lot of hamstring stretches between each exercise today. Last time we had GHRs they were tight for a week + afterwards. Hopefully this time I that won't be the case.

Freeflyer

WEEK 3

DAY 2(16)

AM

Warm Up:

  • [*:2e1x9w1x]500m Row @ 1:55/500m
    [*:2e1x9w1x]6 pull ups
    [*:2e1x9w1x]2 x 10 shoulder dislocates, 1 x 10 Wall extension
    [*:2e1x9w1x]1 x 16 straight arm lateral raises, arms about 30* forward - 7.5lbs dumbbells
    [*:2e1x9w1x]1 x 12 Cuban Press - 7.5lbs dumbbells

Olympic Lifting WOD:

  • [*:2e1x9w1x]20 x 1 Full Snatches @ 70% (95lbs), 1 rep every 45 sec
    [*:2e1x9w1x]15 x 1 Full Clean and Jerk @ 70% (125lbs), 1 rep every 52 sec

Thoughts:

  • [*:2e1x9w1x]Whole lot of shouler stretching during the warm up today. My right shoulder was feeling a lot better and I really don't want to re-injure it anytime soon.
    [*:2e1x9w1x]Did this workout fasted. Makes for an interesting workout, but I don't really care to eat as soon as I wake up. I don't really see any problem with it since it was not a maximal strength WOD.
    [*:2e1x9w1x]Just one week off of weightlifting and my form was slipping a little. I can see this is something I will have to be very regular about, if I intend to get good at it.

Freeflyer

WEEK 3

DAY 2(16)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:15alv4oo]500m row @ 1:45/500m
    [*:15alv4oo]1 x 10 XR Dips
    [*:15alv4oo]1 x 10 Pull Ups
    [*:15alv4oo]1 x 20 Russian KB Swings - 24kg
    [*:15alv4oo]1 x 16 straight arm raises/1 x 12 cuban press - 7.5lbs dumbbells
    [*:15alv4oo]Superset 3 x 20sec German Hang/3 x 30 headstand - very little use of wall for balance
    [*:15alv4oo]Superset 4 x 15sec Adv Tuck FL/4 x 10 Low straight L-sit
    [*:15alv4oo]Superset 4 x 15 Tuck BL/4 x 10 Bent knee MSH

GB WOD:

  • [*:15alv4oo]2 x 5 Cast Wall Walks
    [*:15alv4oo]1 x 5 Pike Press to Headstand - 17in box
    [*:15alv4oo]2 x 5 Straddle Press to Headstand - from ground
    [*:15alv4oo]Wall Runs - 5min total work time

Thoughts:

  • [*:15alv4oo]Lots of shoulder stretching during warm up. This one had me a little worried, thankfully shoulder felt fine throughout.
    [*:15alv4oo]FL felt a little weaker than normal today. BL felt a lot better today. Was also able to pull back out of the German hangs, a new feat for me. Did FL negatives to come down from each BL and GH.
    [*:15alv4oo]Wall walks are harder than they look. I thought I would be able to do all 10 at once.
    [*:15alv4oo]Press HeS are also harder than they look. Still have to do them back to wall because I have no upside down balance. I can do the straddle without the wall, but I fall over as soon as I get vertical...
    [*:15alv4oo]Wall Runs destroyed me. I never imagined they would be so hard. I had to stop after about 5min of work or it would have taken me half the night to finish the second half. I think I may do these every once in a while when I am trying to stay awake at work. They are awesome.
    [*:15alv4oo]Neck is pretty sore from all the headstand. Guess I have a weak neck...

Freeflyer

WEEK 3

DAY 3(17)

PM

WOD:

  • [*:y34fnu2i]10min run at moderate pace - 1.35mi according to mapmyrun.com. I guess that is a decent pace...
    [*:y34fnu2i]Lots of stretching

Finally found a use for those old resistance bands. They make great tools for stretching the arms and shoulders out. My shoulders felt real loose after a good 5-10min using them.