This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Nick's Functional Fitness

Started by Freeflyer, August 29, 2010 · 230 Replies · 12,562 Views

Freeflyer

WEEK 3

DAY 4(18)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:jm7ddjp3]500m Row @ 1:43/500m
    [*:jm7ddjp3]2 Rounds: 20 pushups; 10 pull ups; 10 GHD situps; 10 OHS - 45lbs; 5 HeSPU (partial ROM); 6 TGU (3ea) - 16kg
    [*:jm7ddjp3]5 SLS ea leg
    [*:jm7ddjp3]18' rope climb - no feet up, foot assisted cirque down
    [*:jm7ddjp3]Superset 3 x 20sec Frog Stand/3 x 20sec PLL
    [*:jm7ddjp3]Superset 3 x 20sec XR Shoulderstand/3 x 30sec Wall HS
    [*:jm7ddjp3]Superset 5 x 10sec XR support/5 x 10sec Bent knee Straddle L

GB WOD:

2 Rounds:

  • [*:jm7ddjp3]15 XR dips (12,3) (8,4,3)
    [*:jm7ddjp3]15 XR swings (10,5) (5,5,5) - no dipping, just tried to swing as high as possible each way


  • [*:jm7ddjp3]600-700m run - focused on opening up my stride angle, while keeping my lead leg underneath me (watch video in next post to understand)
    2 x 10 wrist pushups - knees

Thoughts:

  • [*:jm7ddjp3]Didn't write WOD down and totally forgot about AG Walks :(
    [*:jm7ddjp3]Frog stand unbroken, no toe tapping!
    [*:jm7ddjp3]Tried to hold all statics with locked elbow today. For me this is well past 180* and is pretty difficult, especially on the XR supports. I am not used to holding my body weight in the hyperextended position, but straight arms is not locked out for me so on the advice of some, I am trying to build up the strength in the locked position...
    [*:jm7ddjp3]Chose to do only 2 rounds for the main WOD today because my elbow had been bugging me most of the day after lugging around some heavy shit at work. Interestingly after the first round of the warm up I didn't feel any elbow pain, but I decided it would be best to not press my luck and just cut down the volume despite not feeling any pain. I would rather get a slightly smaller workout than have to sit out 10 WODs because I was overzealous.

Freeflyer

This video has some good analysis on running form:

0hqspH_OTzA

Neal Winkler

Nick, were you going to do that critique of the GCBC critique?

Freeflyer
trianglechoke7 said:
Nick, were you going to do that critique of the GCBC critique?

Done. Sorry it took so long, I've been pretty busy lately.

Freeflyer

WEEK 3

DAY 5(19)

AM

Warm Up:

  • [*:1appyi3d]500m row @ 1:53/500m
    [*:1appyi3d]10 cuban press - 45lbs bar
    [*:1appyi3d]Few build up reps of snatches and cleans

Olympic Weightlifting WOD:

  • [*:1appyi3d]10 x 1 Squat Snatch @ 85% (115lbs)
    [*:1appyi3d]7 x 1 Squat Clean and Jerk @ 85% (155lbs)

Thoughts:

  • [*:1appyi3d]Dropped 1 clean due to no power on the pull. Went to a knee on one snatch due to loss of balance, still kept bar overhead though.
    [*:1appyi3d] Jerk form is still generally sloppy, but improving I think. Got another seminar next week, so hopefully I will be able to correct any new defeciencies there.

Freeflyer

WEEK 3

DAY 7(21)

PM

Active Recovery WOD:

  • [*:x1rrl4ch]Row 4,000m @ 2:10/500m - very slow easy pace
    [*:x1rrl4ch]skills work - HeSPU, BL, MU, Press HeS, XR support
    [*:x1rrl4ch]Lots of shoulder mobility

Thoughts:

  • [*:x1rrl4ch]Hurt my mid back (thoracic) on friday morning... Been aggressively treating the strain this weekend with a lot of ice/heat and massage. It felt pretty good today, so I figured some light PT would help it heal faster. Hopefully tomorrow I am completely pain free and can get back to the WODs.
    [*:x1rrl4ch]Note to self: Dropping weights in the morning and possibly annoying neighbors is better than straining back muscles...

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 1(22)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:1yrtf5nn]600m run - fast pace, didn't time it.
    [*:1yrtf5nn]2 rounds of: 20 pushups - 15lbs plate on shoulders; 5 deadhang pullups - 15lbs plate between thighs; 10 GHD sit-ups; 15 wall balls - 20lbs ball, 12 ft target; 5 GHR; 10 KB swings - 36kg
    [*:1yrtf5nn]Superset 3 x 20sec frog stand/3 x 20sec PLL
    [*:1yrtf5nn]Superset 3 x 15sec XR Shoulderstand/3 x 30sec Wall HS
    [*:1yrtf5nn]Superset 5 x 10sec XR Support/5 x 10sec bent knee straddle L

GB WOD:

3 sets each:

  • [*:1yrtf5nn] inverted pike into 15 sec Adv Tuck BL + 5 Yewkis (rnd 1,2 - straddle; rnd 3 - adv tuck)
    [*:1yrtf5nn]Jump into 15 sec Low XR L sit + 5 XR dips, 5 XR PPP
    [*:1yrtf5nn]Pull from hang into 15 sec 90/90 Adv Tuck FL + 5 negative Front Pull (rnd 1 - full lay, rnd 2,3 single leg)

  • [*:1yrtf5nn]2 x 9 bridge wall walks

Thoughts:
  • [*:1yrtf5nn]Warm up may have been a little on the hard side today... the 2 rounds CF style, so little to no rest.
    [*:1yrtf5nn]Surprised myself today with the adv tuck BL... Same amount of time I have been doing the tuck in my FSP warm-ups. I felt like I may have been able to extend out 1 leg, but not for the full 15sec.
    [*:1yrtf5nn]Second exercise set was brutal on my chest. Maybe it was in combination with all the supports in the warmup, but I was feelin it pretty good.
    [*:1yrtf5nn]Negative front pulls destroyed my triceps of all places... I know they aren't too strong... but it seems an odd place. The more I tried to slow myself down, the more they burned.

Question: I can do a full L hang for 10-15 sec but in a support I can only do the full position for 2-3sec, so I end up doing low L supports on parallettes. Would it be better to work the full L hang or the lower L support during my FSP warmups?

Razz

I'd do the lower l-support :)

Freeflyer

WOOT! Just did my first dead hang muscle up!

Was bored sittin on the computer so I went outside and decided to give it a try. I still have to use an explosive pull-up but hey, no kipping. That's a big step I would think. Especially since a month ago I could only get a kipping muscle up 1 out of every 5 tries.

Joshua Naterman

Congratulations! One step closer to a slow one! Don't lose the speed though, that's a great ability to have and maintain.

Wheelson

I just achieved my first dead hang slow muscle up on Sunday. It was the exact same situation -bored doing schoolwork haha. I never really went through the fast stage for too long I was there for maybe two weeks or so. what I recommend is doing SLOWWWW muscle up negatives start at the top of a dip and just focus on going through the transition to the top of a pull up still in false grip. another thing I did was on dipping days, instead of doing russian dips, I would raise my rings to a height where my knees would touch the floor at about mid way through the muscle up transition during a dip. I would dip all the way down pause for a beat then press my way back up through the transition and back to support -hope this helps!

Joshua Naterman

I like that, adjusting ring height is a very smart way to control the transition.

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 2(23)

AM

Warm Up:

  • [*:hbbo3313]750m Row @ 1:58/500m
    [*:hbbo3313]10 OHS - 45lbs
    [*:hbbo3313]15 straight arm raises 30* - 7.5lbs dumbbells; 15 cuban Press - 7.5lbs dumbells
    [*:hbbo3313]6 Sots press - 45lbs

Olympic Lifting WOD:

  • [*:hbbo3313]7 x 1 Squat snatch, 70% to current PR - 95, 105, 115, 125, 130(sloppy), 130, 135
    [*:hbbo3313]7 x 1 Squat Clean & Jerk, 70% to 95% - 125, 135, 145, 155, 165(Jerk Fail), 165, 175(Jerk Fail)

Thoughts:

  • [*:hbbo3313]My jerks are still a big weakness. I have trouble producing the power to get the bar up and at the same time splitting low enough to catch it with straight arms. I think next cycle I will have a few days where I just work heavy Jerks.
    [*:hbbo3313]New PRs soon hopefully. Going to the CF Oly lifting cert this weekend, so hopefully I see them there. Especially for the snatch. On my way to body weight snatches :)

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 2(23)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:3b8tbzj4]Run 600m - 1:53
    [*:3b8tbzj4]3 Rounds for Time: 15 pushups - 15lbs plate on back; 4 pull ups - 15lbs plate between legs; 6 alternating SLS; 5 partial ROM HeSPUs -- 6:23
    [*:3b8tbzj4]Superset 3 x 20sec German Hang/3 x 30sec Headstand
    [*:3b8tbzj4]Superset 4 x 15sec Adv Tuck FL/4 x 10sec Low L-sit
    [*:3b8tbzj4]Superset 4 x 15sec Tuck BL/ 4 x 10 bent knee MSH

GB WOD:

4 Rounds of:

  • [*:3b8tbzj4]60 sec Shuttle Run
    [*:3b8tbzj4]5 Clapping Pull Ups
    [*:3b8tbzj4]10 Adv Tuck Front Pulls
    [*:3b8tbzj4]15' Rope Climb - used feet up and down, controlled 1 arm descents.

Thoughts:

  • [*:3b8tbzj4]I can barely lift my arms to type this. Nice WOD.
    [*:3b8tbzj4]Almost fell off the rings during front pulls my grip was so weak near the end. Same reason i had to use feet to climb the rope. I made it halfway up the second time and realized I wasn't going anywhere because i kept sliding every time I reached up, lol.
    [*:3b8tbzj4]Had there not been any rest between rounds I would have met pukey. As it was, I almost did. High intensity is fun :mrgreen:

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 4(25)

AM

Warm Up:

  • [*:2h4i7kpi]500m row @ 1:55/500m
    [*:2h4i7kpi]15 lateral arm raises/15 cuban press - 7.5lbs dumbbells
    [*:2h4i7kpi]10 dead hang snatches - 45lbs
    [*:2h4i7kpi]Shoulder Dislocates and other shoulder stretches

Olympic Weightlifting WOD:

  • [*:2h4i7kpi]20 x 1 Squat Snatch, 1 snatch every 47sec - 95lbs
    [*:2h4i7kpi]15 x 1 Squat Clean and Jerk, 1 C+J every minute - 125lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:2h4i7kpi]Work Capacity was terrible this morning. This was supposed to be a lighter WOD and I was exhausted. Actually stopped at 10 C+J's to take an extra minute for a breather. I dunno, what's up, but I hope it is just because I didn't eat very much yesterday.
    [*:2h4i7kpi]On the plus side, form seems to be improving overall. Still gotta work on lifting the whole body and not my butt first.

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 4(25)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:3qltqw5x]Run 800m in 2:53 (not too shabby)

4 rounds of:
  • [*:3qltqw5x]15 pushups - 15lbs plate on back, slow tempo, chest to ground
    [*:3qltqw5x]7 GHD situps - Slow temp with 1 sec pause while horizontal both up and down.
    [*:3qltqw5x]5 pull ups - 15lbs plate between thighs; grips = pronated, normal width; supinated normal; pronated, wide, behind neck; supinated, close
    [*:3qltqw5x]5 SLS - alternating, butt touches heel

WOD:

  • [*:3qltqw5x]Superset 3 x 20sec frogstand/3 x 20sec PLL
    [*:3qltqw5x]Superset 3 x 15sec XR Shoulder Stand/3 x 30sec Wall Handstand
    [*:3qltqw5x]Superset 5 x 10sec XR Support/5 x 10sec Bent knee straddle L

Thoughts:

  • [*:3qltqw5x]I was still really tired. I contemplated trying a ring strength series, but I didn't have the energy to do a muscle up so I decided it would be best to just take it easy.
    [*:3qltqw5x]Normal FSP warm-up pretty much became the WOD today
    [*:3qltqw5x]Tomorrow will be another easy day since I have the Olympic Lifting Cert all weekend and I would like to be fresh for it. This means I will probably be taking a two week break from the WODS. Next week is just gonna be a swim/run week with 1-2 leg WODs (1RM deadlift & Back Squat) to let my upper body rest. I am starting to feel it in the elbows and shoulders. The following week will be max FSP tests and probably some other 1RMs (Snatch, C+J, Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Weight Pull Up).
    [*:3qltqw5x]Then finally back to the WODs with revised Warm-up plan, including new FSP hold times (maybe, depending on new maxes).

Freeflyer

WEEK 4

DAY 5(26)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:2u4nyzp0]500m Row @ 1:58/500m

WOD:
  • [*:2u4nyzp0]3 x 20sec German Hang w/ pike pull out
    [*:2u4nyzp0]3 x 30sec Headstand - Straddle press, no wall except to stop after press
    [*:2u4nyzp0]4 x 15sec Adv Tuck FL
    [*:2u4nyzp0]4 x 10sec L-hang
    [*:2u4nyzp0]4 x 15sec Adv Tuck BL

Thoughts:

  • [*:2u4nyzp0]Very light workout today. Still tired. Hopefully it was enough to promote some recovery before this weekend.

Freeflyer

Spent the weekend doing the Crossfit Olympic Weightlifting Certification with Coach Mike Burgener. It was awesome. I learned so much this weekend, I am sure I will forget most of it. But I can't wait to put it to use and see where my lifts are now. Well rather in two weeks after I heal up 0:).

It was also very informative from the coaching side. Definitely will be easier to teach to people now that I know a good method for doing it. I tried to teach my wife the snatch once and it was a complete failure. Hopefully now I'll have her snatching like a pro within a few weeks, lol.

Also signed up for the Crossfit Gymnastics Certification in January. That should be pretty awesome as well.

Joshua Naterman
Nick_EOD said:

Also signed up for the Crossfit Gymnastics Certification in January. That should be pretty awesome as well.

PLEASE tell me how that goes. I am honestly sitting here laughing, but that may be unfair. Still, I can't help it. Cross-fit gymnastic methods seem to be VERY limited. I think that would be fun to attend after having been to two seminars with Coach now. I just hope I don't come across as rude, but having watched the youtube videos of cross fit gymnastics I... just laugh. I suppose that without going myself and sitting quietly through the whole thing I can't make a fair judgement, so I will be very interested in hearing what you think of the Crossfit gymnastic seminar.

Freeflyer

I've watched a few videos from their certs and they seem to be mostly about how to coach and integrate gymnastics into crossfit. I do believe the guy who runs it uses progressions very similar to coaches. A lot of it will still be good for me because it will be a chance to have my form corrected, and to learn more about how to coach. Whenever I get out the Navy (at least 5 more years since I just reenlisted) I plan on opening my own box. The more I know about all the aspects, and the more coaching tips I can get, the better off I will be. As for now, I will be helping out the guys I work with on their form for PT when we do unit PT (crossfit is our unit PT).

i am sure I have seen some of the videos you are thinking of, but there are only a few from the actual certs that I know of and they are all on the journal.

I would love to go to Coaches seminar one day, but 3 days and travel is much more of a commitment than a weekend. If he were having one between now and the end of January (that isn't in Europe!) I would be all over it, but after that we start pre-deployment training and time off is a much more precious commodity. Most likely if he holds them at the same time of year as this year I will be in the middle of the training unit cycle or our FEP. Unfortunate... I would love to go. Until then, this is better than nothing.

Joshua Naterman

You're probably right. Your deployment schedule will certainly make it hard to attend Coach's seminars! I know I sound condescending on that other post, but I really am curious about how the crossfit gymnastics seminar will be. I meant it when I said I would love to know what you all go over and what your personal thoughts on the seminar are! I think going is the most proactive thing you can do at the moment, you know?

Freeflyer

WEEK 5

DAY 2(30)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:3hzol5j2]Row 1000m @ 1:54/500m
    [*:3hzol5j2]10min snatch and clean drills with 45lbs bar

WOD:

  • [*:3hzol5j2]Max High bar Back Squat - 5 x 135, 5 x 155, 3 x 175, 3 x 195, 1 x 210, 1 x 220, 1 x 225, 1 x 235 (new PR), 1 x 240 (failed)
    [*:3hzol5j2]Max Box Jump, all single jumps - 29", 32.5", 35.5", 38", 40", 42", 43.5", 45", 47" (new PR)

Thoughts:

  • [*:3hzol5j2]First time doing High Bar back squats with full ROM, hips well below knees. Last back squat session was low bar and ended up being 1/2 - 3/4 squats @ 240lbs. I think this is a pretty good improvement since I was going all the way down this time. Had I continued on with low bar squats at a lesser ROM I could have added a decent amount more weight. But I only want to count good form Olympic Squats now.
    [*:3hzol5j2]Stacked bumper plates on my back step for box jumps. Ran out of plate @ 47". I was probably almost at my max, but I am certain I could have tacked on one more inch and hit that 48" jump I want. Whether I could have gotten higher than that, I don't know. It's a good thing I couldn't go higher anyway since the stack was getting a bit precarious, and the ground I was jumping from was very wet from all the rain lately.
    [*:3hzol5j2]All in all I would say decent improvements in leg strength and power out of today. I will be testing deadlift on friday along with SLS.

Freeflyer

WEEK 5

DAY 4(32)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:ujaeio48]Row 500m @ 1:54/500m
    [*:ujaeio48]10m Snatch and Clean & Jerk drills w/ 45lbs bar

WOD:

  • [*:ujaeio48]1min total XR L-sit work (pretty high, could keep parallel for 1st 5 sec each hold)
    [*:ujaeio48]Tabata Row - 923m
    [*:ujaeio48]1min total L-Hang work (kept parallel or higher for 10-15sec each round)
    [*:ujaeio48]Tabata Row - 892m

Thoughts:

  • [*:ujaeio48]Getting better with my L-sit work, but overall I am still very disappointed with my core strength. I used to think I had decent core strength, but I can barely hold a full L-sit for 5sec :oops:
    [*:ujaeio48]Tabata rows were killer. I thought I was gonna die by the end of them. 1st round of the first tabata my the rower was sliding all over the floor so I had to yell for the wife to put a kettlebell on the stands.
    [*:ujaeio48]Wanted to run today, but we have been having a monsoon for the past few days and there are flash flood warnings, so running was rather impractical (I hate treadmills with a passion).

Freeflyer

WEEK 5

DAY 5(35)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:3auy4kca]Run 1mi - 6:09; about 85-90%
    [*:3auy4kca]25 Double Unders

WOD:

  • [*:3auy4kca]Deadlift - 5 x 155, 3 x 225, 1 x 295, 1 x 325, 1 x 335, 1 x 295, 1 x 295, 1 x 315, 1 x 330, 1 x 340, 1 x 345 (PR), 1 x 350 (PR), 1 x 355 (PR)
    [*:3auy4kca]25 Double Unders

Thoughts:

  • [*:3auy4kca]Pretty happy with my mile time. Definitely could have finished in under 6min if I pushed it.
    [*:3auy4kca]Really excited about my new DL PR. That is 204% of my body weight. My ultimate goal is 400lbs, but I am pretty close now. I also haven't deadlifted in almost 6-7 weeks and still managed to add 15lbs to my lift. GO GB!
    [*:3auy4kca]Did lots of random double unders in between DL sets. Best set was 18 unbroken. I need to shorten my rope slightly, and stop hopping backwards when I do them...

Razz

2xbw DL, nice milestone! gogogo 3xbw :D