This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Nick's Functional Fitness

Started by Freeflyer, August 29, 2010 · 230 Replies · 12,562 Views

Freeflyer

WEEK 6

DAY 1(38)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:2z3a0oyi]800m run - 2:40
    [*:2z3a0oyi]Skin the cats with 10 sec holds at tuck BL and Adv T. FL

WOD:

  • [*:2z3a0oyi]Max ADV Tuck BL - 62sec
    [*:2z3a0oyi]Max 1 leg BL - 25sec R leg out, 23sec L leg out
    [*:2z3a0oyi]Snatch - 65lbs, 75lbs, 95lbs, 95lbs, 115lbs, 125lbs, 125lbs
    [*:2z3a0oyi]Clean & Jerk - 95lbs, 115lbs, 125lbs, 145lbs, 155lbs
    [*:2z3a0oyi]Bench Press - 12 x 45lbs, 5 x 95lbs, 3 x 135lbs, 145lbs, 155lbs, 135lbs, 145lbs, 155lbs, 160lbs
    [*:2z3a0oyi]Bench Press - 5 x 5 - 75lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:2z3a0oyi]Nice pace on the run, probably couldn't have gone a whole lot faster, but i wasn't warmed up either
    [*:2z3a0oyi]I think those are pretty satisfactory new max holds for the back lever. Definitely improved pretty quickly on that one.
    [*:2z3a0oyi]Just messin around with the snatch and C&J trying out some new things I learned with weight for the first time. Felt alright, need more practice with weight on the bar
    [*:2z3a0oyi]Bench press is severely depressing. In fact, I feel pretty terrible about the whole workout because of how bad it was. It had been the same for the past year now... Granted I rarely ever do any specific work on it, i was still expecting some small improvement from the GB WODs and CF considering how everything else has improved so much. I think I am going to start doing the 5x5 once a week starting off light and increasing slowly until I can at least bench my bodyweight. It is just sad not to be able to.
    [*:2z3a0oyi]I am sure my press will be just as depressing one wednesday... My pushing strength has always been pretty terrible. Granted this is the first time ever I have really started working on strength, it still sucks being able to lift so little. Depending on how good or bad I do on the press I may do it once a week as well on the 5x5 until it is at a reasonable level. meh

Freeflyer

Got bored and decided to test max wall handstand. 90sec with hands approx 2in from wall and not resting any weight against wall (only toe tapping wall to maintain balance).

Freeflyer

WEEK 6

DAY 2(39)

PM

Swimming WOD:

Warm Up:

  • [*:i6cni3ll]200m easy - 50free, 50breast, 50free, 50side
    [*:i6cni3ll]Lots of stretching, pretty tight today

Ramp Up:

  • [*:i6cni3ll]500y freestyle - 7:10 - not a bad time, but Ideally I want to be below 6:50.

Core:
  • [*:i6cni3ll]200m free; 4min rest
    [*:i6cni3ll]2 x 100m free; 2min rest after each
    [*:i6cni3ll]4 x 50m free; 1min rest after each
    [*:i6cni3ll]8 x 25m free; 30sec rest after each
    [*:i6cni3ll]2 x 10 tuck jumps in waist deep water - feet out of water every rep

cool down:

  • [*:i6cni3ll]200m breast/side - was going to do 500m, but quads objected, so I figured I might as well call it there.

Thoughs:
  • [*:i6cni3ll]All in all an ok workout for not having swam in 2-3months. I really hope I can get that 500y Free down below 6:50 before the end of the month
    [*:i6cni3ll]Navy PT test coming up at the end of this month and I have a choice between a 500y swim and 1.5mi run. As it stand now, I am pretty sure I am going to swim it since I know I can score outstanding on the swim, but I doubt I can on the run. Probably will throw in a few more swim WODs before the month is out to fix up my form. 6:20 is a maxed out score, but I doubt I have time to drop down to there.... More like that than running an 8:30 1.5mi though!

Freeflyer

Just went and finished up my workout that I didn't feel like doing earlier.

10 x 1 Snatch @ 70lbs

10 x 1 C&J @ 95lbs

Max Adv Tuck FL hold: 50sec

Mostly was working on perfecting my form on the lifts with a little more weight than just the bar. I noticed the other day my form start to deteriorate as the weight got heavier, so I am doing some more practice with more than just the bar. Form was spot on today though, except maybe landings were slightly wide.

Freeflyer

WEEK 6

DAY 4(41)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:3rmcm4x9]Run 1mi in 6:28 - moderate pace

WOD:
  • [*:3rmcm4x9]Pull ups/Chin Ups alternating: 10 x 5lbs, 7 x 10lbs, 5 x 15lbs, 5 x 20lbs, 3 x 25lbs, 3 x 35lbs, 1 x 45lbs, 1 x 50lbs, 1 x 55lbs, 1 x 65lbs, 1 x 70lbs, 4 x 45lbs, 3 x 45lbs, 2 x 45lbs, 1 x 45lbs
    [*:3rmcm4x9]Max Straddle L Hold: Bent Knee - 60sec; Low straight leg 30sec
    [*:3rmcm4x9]5 RFT: 10 DU, 5 Shoulder Press - 55lbs -- 5:30

Thoughts:

  • [*:3rmcm4x9]Slightly dissapointed in my max weighted pull up. It is a new PR, but I was hoping for 75lbs at least. Ah well, at least it is improving.
    [*:3rmcm4x9]Realized straight leg straddle is 100% different than bent knee, regardless of how low it is. Definite sticking to these now.
    [*:3rmcm4x9]First three rounds of metcon went really smooth. Then fatigue set in and double unders failed... I was unbroken on double unders in rounds 1-3 but the last 2 rounds I could only string 2-3 together at most. Still considering I couldn't even string 2 together a month ago, that is pretty good :)

Freeflyer

I've come up with 2 new warm ups to be used now when I start the WODs back up. One is for pulling WODs and the other for Pushing. I will be replacing leg WODs with my own barbell based ones (Deadlifts and front squats mostly) and some gymnastic style assistance exercises. So warm ups on those days will just be warm up sets of what ever exercise it is for the day.

All Warm Ups:

  • [*:2subxqi6]Start with either run, row or double unders to get heart rate up and muscles warm.

Pulling Warm Up:
  • [*:2subxqi6]10 C2B Chin ups
    [*:2subxqi6]8 XR rows (alternate normal and bulgarian)
    [*:2subxqi6]6 One arm bias pull ups (pull chin up along arm to hand)
    [*:2subxqi6]5 25lbs Chin Ups
    [*:2subxqi6]3 Adv Tuck FL Rows
    [*:2subxqi6]2 Reverse pull ups (inverted chin ups in the book I think)

Revision 02 Nov 2010:

  • [*:2subxqi6]10 c2b chin ups now done with eagle loops
    [*:2subxqi6]25lbs pull ups down to 15 lbs (I want these to be c2b as well and 25lbs was too tough for a warm up for that)

Pushing Warm Up:

  • [*:2subxqi6]25 push ups
    [*:2subxqi6]7 XR Dips
    [*:2subxqi6]3 Negative HeSPU
    [*:2subxqi6]10 25lbs push ups
    [*:2subxqi6]4 XR Bulgarian Dips
    [*:2subxqi6]1 Negative HSPU
    [*:2subxqi6]5 XR PPP

Revision 02 Nov 2010:

  • [*:2subxqi6]Negative HeSPU are now kipping HeSPU

Razz

Include your FSP in your warmups at 50% max holds doing up to 1 minute volume. For pushing workouts include PL, straddle-l, l-sit and possibly HS. For pulling Manna, FL and BL.

Freeflyer
Razz said:
Include your FSP in your warmups at 50% max holds doing up to 1 minute volume. For pushing workouts include PL, straddle-l, l-sit and possibly HS. For pulling Manna, FL and BL.

Oh yeah, FSPs will be on an A and B basis. I just haven't made that one yet. Those are just workout specific warm ups.

Freeflyer

New FSP workouts to be alternated each day. 4-5 times/week

FSP A:

  • [*:3jha24rk]3 x 30sec German Hang/3 x 30sec Reverse Plank (3x15sec GH/3x20sec XR Support/3x30sec RP)
    [*:3jha24rk]4 x 15sec Low XR L-sit/3 x 30sec Wall Handstand (4x15sec PB L-sit)
    [*:3jha24rk]1 x 30sec Adv tuck BL, 2 x 12sec 1 leg BL/3 x 30sec PLL
    [*:3jha24rk]4 x 15sec Low Straddle L-sit/3 x 25sec XR Shoulder Stand

FSP B:

  • [*:3jha24rk]3 x 30sec German Hang/3 x 30sec Reverse Plank (3x15sec GH/3x20sec XR Support/3x30sec RP)
    [*:3jha24rk]4 x 15sec Low XR L-sit/3 x 30sec Headstand (4x15sec PB L-sit)
    [*:3jha24rk]3 x 25sec Adv Tuck FL/3 x 30sec Frog Stand
    [*:3jha24rk]4 x 15sec Low Straddle L-sit/3 x 30sec Inverted Hang

Decided to get rid of MSH since at this point I don't think it is doing me a lot of good. Instead I will do the reverse plank holds

Edit 08 NOV 2010: Made changes to GH and L-Sits on both workouts. In bold and parentheses.

Freeflyer

WEEK 6

DAY 5(42)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:34vtqvfs]Some double unders, didn't really count
    [*:34vtqvfs]Burgener warm up/skill transfer exercises with empty bar

Oly WOD:

  • [*:34vtqvfs]Work to max effort snatch - 95lbs, 95lbs, 115lbs, 125lbs, 135lbs, 145lbs (PR), 150lbs(failed on way up), 155lbs(fail), 125lbs, 135lbs, 140lbs, 150lbs (fail).
    [*:34vtqvfs]Work to Max effort C & J - 95lbs, 95lbs, 135lbs, 135lbs, 155lbs, 175lbs, 180lbs (PR), 185lbs (jerk fail), 185lbs (fail), 155lbs, 175lbs, 185lbs (PR), 190lbs (Jerk fail, clean PR).

Thoughts:

  • [*:34vtqvfs]Did this WOD at CF gym where the coaches sons are all Weightlifters first. One of them coached me through my lifts to help with my form.
    [*:34vtqvfs]Snatches failed due entirely to arm pulling. Once the weight got heavy, I just instinctively tried to pull, which of course slowed the bar down and made me drop it. I really should have had the 155lbs, but just didn't get under fast enough and one arm was still bent when I caught it...
    [*:34vtqvfs]Cleans I also started to arm pull on heavy loads. It wasn't as bad as the snatch, and wasn't the sole limiting factor. Unfortunately strength is my limiting factor on the cleans. My max clean was only 10lbs less than my last max Front squat, and I definitely catch it lower than I usually squat. I struggled a lot on the way up.
    [*:34vtqvfs]Jerks are still problematic as well. I fixed a lot of my old problems, but I am still fairly slow through the jerk and not aggressive enough. On the last C & J I feel I would have been able to jerk the load had I not been so drained from the clean.
    [*:34vtqvfs]I will try and post videos of PRs and the max clean where I dropped the jerk.

Freeflyer

Finally came up with my 3rd warmup for Ring Strength series and FSP WODs. Kinda had to since today is a FSP day

Ring Strength/FSP Warm Up:

  • [*:3kd4f740]15 Knees to Elbows
    [*:3kd4f740]15 Good Mornings 45lbs
    [*:3kd4f740]10 Dive Bombers (Only MPPr I can do lol)
    [*:3kd4f740]8 TOPs pulls
    [*:3kd4f740]10 GHD situps
    [*:3kd4f740]10 Curved back extensions
    [*:3kd4f740]5 1 arm pushups each arm (assisted)
    [*:3kd4f740]6 Behind the neck Pull ups
    [*:3kd4f740]5 Hanging Leg raise
    [*:3kd4f740]5 HeS RLL
    [*:3kd4f740]2 Muscle Ups (probably kipping for now, with slow negative)
    [*:3kd4f740]1 assisted Cirque

Revision 02 Nov 2010:

  • [*:3kd4f740]Behind the neck Pull ups now Wide grip L(ish) pull ups

All warm ups are at a brisk pace. Very little rest between exercises

Freeflyer

WEEK 7

DAY 1(45)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:71rm363i]Run 800m - 2:40, rest 3min, run 800m 2:44
    [*:71rm363i]Ring Strength/FSP standard warmup (pg. 5)
    [*:71rm363i]FSP A(pg. 4)

GB WOD

3 Sets each of:

  • [*:71rm363i]15s Back Lever + 3 Assisted OAC each arm - attempted half lay rnd 1, really low. 1 leg rnds 2/3
    [*:71rm363i]15s XR L-sit (lowish) + 5 negative HeSPU
    [*:71rm363i]15s 90/90 FL + 6 supine windshield wipers

  • [*:71rm363i]10 Bridge Wall Walks

Thoughts:
  • [*:71rm363i]Including the warmup this took me quite a while... Almost 90min. I don't really mind since long workouts are kinda "sport specific" for me, but I am glad it is over.
    [*:71rm363i]First GB WOD in 2 weeks, felt good to be back. FSPs are a little tough, but I sticking with them for 8 weeks, so by the end they should be cake.
    [*:71rm363i]Still suck at HeSPUs :( Maybe one day.
    [*:71rm363i]Run times keep improving over all. At least that is always a bonus. I will break a 5min mile one day.

Freeflyer

As promised:

iJFZqwAXRVs

Cs2z6Br3Ads

Razz

Snatch looks easy!!

Freeflyer
Razz said:
Snatch looks easy!!

Easy to do, or I did it easily?

I am pulling waaay to early with my arms if you watch closely. I could do at least 10-15 more lbs if I didn't do that... I don't do it intentionally, but I am not entirely sure how to make myself stop... I am sure if I fix that I will be doing my bodyweight in no time.

Joshua Naterman

You really are pulling too early! Maybe training lock arm standing hip thrusts to get out of the early pull habit?

Freeflyer
slizzardman said:
You really are pulling too early! Maybe training lock arm standing hip thrusts to get out of the early pull habit?

I sent a message to coach Burgener with the vids to ask what he would do. I think rack high pulls are probably what he is gonna say, but not sure. I don't do it until I get to about 90-95%+ of my max, but then it gets bad. It is even more visible in the clean, but it is not holding me back much there yet because I am already so close to my max front squat. Hopefully I fix it by the time I get stronger :)

Razz

I'm no expert on WL technique at all, to me it just looked like that snatch was easy for you :) (as in: you can definately do more)

Freeflyer

Ah, ok, thanks. Yeah, like I was saying, definitely strong enough to do more... Just technique flaws holding me back right now.

Amusing Mark Rippetoe quote for the occasion:

"The Olympic Snatch is gymnastics with a bar."

I love Weightlifting, it is just so much fun. I am really torn as to which is more fun between it and the rings. I will probably have to go with O-lifts, at least until I am cool enough to do awesome things like a free standing handstand and planche on the rings (or other cool stuff like IC, really slow wide muscles ups, etc).

Freeflyer

WEEK 7

DAY 1(45)

PM 2

Warm Up:

  • [*:1cpjt5r0]Bench Press: 8 x 45lbs, 5 x 65lbs, 5 x 75lbs

WOD:
  • [*:1cpjt5r0]Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 85lbs

Thoughts:

  • [*:1cpjt5r0]3 1/2 hrs after earlier WOD
    [*:1cpjt5r0]Still very light weight, thats ok though, since this is just supplementary for now

Freeflyer

WEEK 7

DAY 2(46)

AM

Warm Up:

  • [*:owiv7ts7]5 min of jumping rope with various techniques
    [*:owiv7ts7]Burgener warm up and skill transfer exercises

Oly WOD:

  • [*:owiv7ts7]Snatch: 95lbs x 3, 105lbs x 3, 115lbs x 3, 125lbs x 5
    [*:owiv7ts7]Clean and Jerk: 125lbs x 2, 135lbs x 2, 145lbs x 2, 155lbs x 2

Thoughts:

  • [*:owiv7ts7]Was going to do another C&J then a few rack jerks, but felt a pain in my right knee at the bottom of the last clean. I stopped immediately and I am icing it now. Hopefully it is nothing and it feels fine by this afternoon. I wasn't cleaning too heavy and form was good on that one, so I am not sure what could have happened... Feels fine as I write this, but we'll see later.
    [*:owiv7ts7]Arm pulling was worse than usual today... I think I am gonna go back to really light weight for a while and work much stricter form. That and heavy high pulls from the hang.

Freeflyer

So, the knee pain kept up through the day, and while it wasn't bad at all, and only hurt in a full squat, I decided it would be best not to risk it with a leg workout.

So this week is going to be another abbreviated week. I will workout today and tomorrow, mostly upper body and take friday off. Saturday I have the Barbells for Boobs fundraiser to compete in, so I really hope these days off is all my knee needs. I will test it out in the morning before hand and hopefully I will be good to go. The Fundraiser is a crossfit one and the WOD is "Grace." That is 30 full clean and jerks for time. I've never actually done it, so I am not really sure what I good time will be for me... I haven't done a serious strength metcon like that in a while though, so we'll see.

Freeflyer

WEEK 7

DAY 3(47)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:15lir29a]5min various rope jumping - singles, 1 leg, jogging, double unders, criss cross
    [*:15lir29a]Standard Pushing Warmup (pg. 4)
    [*:15lir29a]FSP B (pg. 4)

WOD:

  • [*:15lir29a]OH Press - 1 x 8 x 45lbs; 1 x 5 x 55lbs; 5 x 5 x 65lbs

Thoughts:
  • [*:15lir29a]Full HSPU negative are kinda scary. My strength doesn't carry me down past my hands very well... Good thing I have a pad to hit, lol :)
    [*:15lir29a]Pike Press to HeS on HeS holds. Even managed the last one with no use of wall to stop momentum. No use of wall on any for balancing :)
    [*:15lir29a] 3 x 30s frog stand seems really easy overall, but I can't do Adv FS for more than 2-3 sec yet, so I guess I will just stick with it and PLL for these next 8 weeks and hopefully by then will be ready to try out the AdvFS.
    [*:15lir29a]Was going to run after the OH Press, but ran outta time. Might try to get 2mi in tonight before bed.

Freeflyer

Changed the FSP just a bit. Got rid of the arch rocks as i felt they were doing little for my lower back and a lot to crush my kibbles and bits. Replace with XR Shoulder Stand on A and Inverted Hang on B.

Freeflyer

WEEK 7

DAY 4(48)

PM

Warm Up:

  • [*:ysx8d6or]1000m row @ 1:50/500m
    [*:ysx8d6or]Standard Pulling Warm Up (pg. 4)
    [*:ysx8d6or]FSP A (pg. 4)

WOD:

  • [*:ysx8d6or]Muscle up transition work

Thoughts:
  • [*:ysx8d6or]Took it nice and easy today... still hoping everything feels better for Saturday.
    [*:ysx8d6or]Tried coming off the wall during handstands today. Managed about 5sec at a time before I started to fall.