Didn't do the second WOD last night. Fell asleep really early and ended up sleeping about 14 hours, lol.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Nick's Functional Fitness
Started by Freeflyer, August 29, 2010 · 230 Replies · 12,562 Views
WEEK 3
DAY 6(20)
PM
Army PT Test:
- [*:13kgc2y4]Warm Up with 5min jumping rope
[*:13kgc2y4]Max Pushup in 2min: 70
[*:13kgc2y4]Max Situps in 2 min: 70
[*:13kgc2y4]2mi run: 15:00min - slipped and fell during run.
About an hour later
Warm up:
- [*:13kgc2y4]10min jumping rope and handstand walking
[*:13kgc2y4]4,4,3 pulley muscle ups - 70lbs
[*:13kgc2y4]Shoulder Prep Series - pushing
HandStand WOD:
- [*:13kgc2y4]2x6 Cast Wall Walks
[*:13kgc2y4]2x4 Wall Press to handstand - Pike, 36in box
[*:13kgc2y4]3x5 Straddle Press to headstand - Head elevated til arms are straight. Attempted to lower with head off of pad.
[*:13kgc2y4]10min total time Wall Runs. About 5min time actually working. After the 6min mark just did wall handstands instead of runs.
[*:13kgc2y4]2x10 Wrist Pushups - 1 knee, other foot in air
[*:13kgc2y4]14 strict pull ups
Notes:
- [*:13kgc2y4]I take that PT test for real in 2 weeks. Everything is passing but not good enough for me. Gonna do it 4 times between now and then.
[*:13kgc2y4]Attempted some free standing Tuck Press to Handstand interspersed throughout WODs. Kinda did them, but it took a little jump to get started.
[*:13kgc2y4]The CWW and HSWRs still kill me. Shoulder strength is pretty bad.
Nick_EOD said:Didn't do the second WOD last night. Fell asleep really early and ended up sleeping about 14 hours, lol.
Love it when that happens ![]()
WEEK 4
DAY 1(21)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:2rfy84p3]10min jumping rope
[*:2rfy84p3]5,5,4 pulley muscle ups - 70lbs
[*:2rfy84p3]Wrist Prep Series
[*:2rfy84p3]Shoulder Prep Series - pushing
[*:2rfy84p3]Knee Prep Series
Dynamic Pushing WOD:
- [*:2rfy84p3]4 rounds of:
-- 30sec HS Wall Run/30sec Wall HS
-- 20' "wheels" - more like hoping push ups
-- 10 XR Support Swings
-- 10 Dips
-- 20' AG Walks - more like crab walks since my feet wouldn't slide
[*:2rfy84p3]2x10 Wrist Pushups
Notes:
- [*:2rfy84p3]Jump rope snapped in half today at around 10min mark. Guess that's what I get for jumping on concrete and leaving it out in the cold... Sucks cuz it was a nice rope too. Better be more careful with my new one.
[*:2rfy84p3]Did my first full fingertip pushups on toes today. Almost up to wrist pushups of toes too (one knee, other leg in air)
[*:2rfy84p3]Dips were on a dip station that didn't facilitate swinging... my dips were really weak today too.
No WOD yesterday. Sometime the night before I pulled something in my mid-upper back, and it was hurting pretty good yesterday, so I decided to lay off... Been taking lots of fish oil, Naproxen and flexerol. Also having the wife massage it (very painfully) every couple hours.
WEEK 3
DAY 3 (23)
AM
Army PT Test:
- [*:2gvt7gas]2min Pushups: 65
[*:2gvt7gas]2min situps: 73
[*:2gvt7gas]2mi Run: 15:03
Notes:
- [*:2gvt7gas]This was done on a 14hr fast. Just to see how it went, since I likely won't eat anything but a few BCAAs before the real test in the morning.
[*:2gvt7gas]Slightly less pushups, but much better form today.
WEEK 3
DAY 3 (23)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:2gvt7gas]10min Jump Rope
[*:2gvt7gas]9,7 Wall Press to Handstand - tuck; 5 Press to HS - tuck, Free standing
[*:2gvt7gas]3 Rounds: 45sec on/45sec off Hollow hold
[*:2gvt7gas]3 rounds: 45sec on/ 45sec off Arch Hold
[*:2gvt7gas]Wrist Prep Series
[*:2gvt7gas]Knee Prep Series
[*:2gvt7gas]Shoulder Prep Series - rings
WOD:
- [*:2gvt7gas]LBBS: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x100lbs, 1x4x180lbs, 3x5x240lbs
[*:2gvt7gas]Pulley Muscle Ups: 1x7x90lbs, 1x5x70lbs, 4x3x50lbs
Notes:
- [*:2gvt7gas]BS felt a whole lot better today than friday. I still went up 5lbs, but didn't struggle nearly as much. I think my shitty diet really was a big part of it.
[*:2gvt7gas]Until I achieve a real muscle up, those are my main focus for ring strength, as well as being part of warm ups. I want a nice smooth, controlled on by my birthday.
[*:2gvt7gas]Wife wants me to note that she did 3x5x150lbs on the lbbs today.
meh, lazy today so i didn't work out... lack of motivation is a serious issue for me sometimes... it doesn't help that I am about to suffer through a month of BS PT....
why is that pt month? is it pre-deployment?
the pushups are to horizontal or chest touching ground? what is your best? do you follow a rithm or go 100% from the begining?
whow how many questions I droped! sorry ![]()
omegant said:why is that pt month? is it pre-deployment?the pushups are to horizontal or chest touching ground? what is your best? do you follow a rithm or go 100% from the begining?
whow how many questions I droped! sorry
It is Airborne school. It's not that it will be hard, it is just I like to be better than most people.
Pushups - the upper arms have to go past 90*, which for me, with really long arms is pretty much chest to the ground. None of those numbers are my best, I've done about 90 before.
I usually do about 35-40 straight, then rest a few seconds and do them in sets of 5 after that. Resting consists of the plank position. If anything other than your hands or feet touch the ground, the test is terminated.
So you are switching branch Or just a specialist course? If you have the oportunity I highly recomend free fall parachuting, it is great, the sensation of jumping from a plane and deciding when you open your chute is unique!
I have to try a PT test ( plus chin ups) one day just as a way to measure my improvemnts in a diferent way. I dont think I can get half your score ( by the moment hehe).
With the push ups and the sit ups, choosing a tempo to follow wouldn't be less tiring? Or just the oposite?
It is just a special course, required for my job. I was supposed to do it a year ago, but I was very sick and actually failed the PT test!!! :oops: :oops: I had only slept about 2 hours the night before and been throwing up... but that doesn't really matter there. I will be good this time though.
I've done free fall parachuting before on my own. I was working on getting my "A" license but it was just too much money at the time. Now I am just too busy to do it. It is an incredible experience though. I am not thrilled about this course though. The kinda of parachuting they do is not very fun, and if you are heavy, you hit the ground like a sack of bricks... Can't flare round canopies...
I don't really know if it would be any easier to pace myself on the pushups... Since the position you have to rest in still takes a bit of energy, I don't see it being as useful. The minimum is 42 pushups, so I like to make sure I get at least that many in the first minute, and use the second minute just to raise my score.
If you want a PT test to try, you can do our entry exam for navy special operations. It really isn't hard at all, but doing just the minimums probably is not gonna be enough to get you through.
- [*:390lnunp]500m swim - Breast stroke or side stroke. 14:00min (8:10)
-- 10min rest
[*:390lnunp]Max Pushups in 2min. - 42 minimum (70)
-- 2min rest
[*:390lnunp]Max curl ups (smaller ROM sit ups) in 2min. - 50 minimum (117)
-- 2min rest
[*:390lnunp]Max Pull Ups in 2 min - Dead hang, done when you let go of the bar - 6 minimum (14)
-- 10min rest
[*:390lnunp]1.5mi run - 12:45min (10:35)
keep in mind that is minimum passing scores. You are expected to exceed that easily. Swim makes the rest of the test a lot harder if you don't pace yourself well. My most recent scores are in parenthesis.
WEEK 3
DAY 5 (25)
PM
Warm Up:
- [*:2cxtis1x]10min Jumping rope
[*:2cxtis1x]7 wall press to handstand tuck up, straddle down; 7 free standing hopping tuck press to handstand
[*:2cxtis1x]5,3 pulley muscle ups - 50lbs
[*:2cxtis1x]Wrist Prep Series
[*:2cxtis1x]Knee Prep Series
[*:2cxtis1x]2x30sec German Hang, thumbs touching on bar
WOD:
- [*:2cxtis1x]LBBS: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x100lbs, 1x4x180lbs, 3x5x245lbs
[*:2cxtis1x]Bench Press: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x80lbs, 1x4x120lbs, 1x3/2x152.5/147.5lbs, 2x5x147.5lbs
[*:2cxtis1x]2x10 Clapping Pull Ups
Notes:
- [*:2cxtis1x]Had to drop weight in the first workset of BP. After the 1st three reps, decided it might be to much... Probably coulda done the sets across at 150lbs though...
Is awesome that moment when you step out of a plane!!! I only did like 15 jumps because you can't jump at mallorca, so is very inconvinient for me having to go to madrid each time I want to spend a day up in the air. Automatic jumping is just another game, and not a good one for you knees and hip ( pretty much everything is in danger with that parachutes, point of impact, rate of descend...) so take care.
Once I manage to get wods done for a month or so ( my last son is too much time to trAin) I'll try to do a pt test and post the results.
Hey man, hows it going?
Airborne school still? or sandbox-Astan?
Sorry it's been such a long time since I've posted. I graduated airborne school a few weeks ago, but have been crazy busy lately. Like 12hr days 5 days a week. Next week I'll be gone the whole time doing tons of drills. Actually, my fitness has suffered quite a bit lately because of it. I don't really have much time to work out, and really don't feel any motivation to at all after such exhausting days, so I haven't done much of anything in almost 2 months... My diet has also been atrocious, mostly because I am too tired to cook, so I usually end up getting junk food of some sort.
The good news is after next week we should be slowing down a little and I will be able to get back into working out and fixing my diet. I am going to do IF, since I never eat breakfast anyway, it seems like an easy transition.
Also very likely getting two beautiful Dutch Shepherds when I get back next weekend, so they will be constant motivation for daily morning runs. If you don't know what Dutch shepherds are, check them out. They are fantastic and rare dogs.
So, it's been quite a while, and a rough while on my body. I haven't worked out in any serious or dedicated manner since probably close to Christmas time. During that time I also ate pretty terribly... Work was just exhausting, and then taking care of a dutch shepherd when I got home didn't leave me with a lot of energy to work out, or cook anything healthy. Probably didn't help that I got Lyme disease recently as well... Hopefully the antibiotics have killed that off *crosses fingers*
But now I am tired of feeling like crap so it is time to get back into the swing of things. As of yesterday i am working out again, eating Paleo 2.0, and doing a leangains style intermittent fasting.
I started on a WOD that is about a month old, because I wanted to start at the beginning of a cycle. It will be a kind of modified cycle. M,W,F will be GB WOD days because T,Th I will (hopefully if time permits) be doing boxing and filipino martial arts. Also, since leg strength is a much larger part of my goals than is typical in gymnastics, each of my 3 WOD days will start a leg strength workout after the warm ups. To compensate for this I will skip over GB Leg days. Hopefully this doesn't mess with the program too terribly much, and if somehow I catch up, I will go back to an older cycle (gotta love the archives).
Another concern of mine is fitting in the FSPs. As it is, I see my workouts taking between 90-120min with my current warm ups, leg strength then GB WOD. Current warm up is 10min of intense jump roping or rowing, followed by joint prep routines for whatever I am doing that day.
So on to keeping up my workout log again. May try to keep a food log as well if I am especially motivated, but even thinking about amounts frustrates me.
WEEK 1
DAY 1
Warm Up:
- [*:3dsjldqa]10min Jumping Rope
[*:3dsjldqa]Pushing Shoulder prep
[*:3dsjldqa]Knee Prep
[*:3dsjldqa]Wrist Prep
[*:3dsjldqa]30 sec German Hang
WOD:
- [*:3dsjldqa]Front Squat - 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 3x5x155lbs
[*:3dsjldqa]Complete four rounds:
2 Cast Wall Walks
3 XR Pike HSPU
2 Cast Wall Walks
5 XR Dips
2 Cast Wall Walks
12 Claping Pushups
Notes:
- [*:3dsjldqa]I had to scale this one quite a bit. XR HSPU down to Pike with feet on ground so I could still get full ROM, forgot to L-sit at top of dips, probably ok though since they were hard enough, and changed triple clap to single clap pushups... I suck at those.
[*:3dsjldqa]Wow, I am weak compared to before....
WEEK 1
DAY 2
WOD:
- [*:3jviytcv]2mi run with the dog
[*:3jviytcv]3 rounds:
30sec XR Plank - feet higher than shoulders
25sec Tuck Back Lever
25sec Tuck Front Lever
Notes:
- [*:3jviytcv]Haven't started the boxing or FMA yet, so I just improvised something easy today since I am pretty sore from yesterday. Hopefully will start next week
Good to see you are back
You should get some probiotics so you don't leave your gut fucked with all the antibiotics ![]()
ditto!
WEEK 1
DAY 3
Warm Up:
- [*:pdt4dvs3]Row 100m - 4min
[*:pdt4dvs3]Rotational Shoulder Prep
[*:pdt4dvs3]Knee Prep
[*:pdt4dvs3]30sec German Hang
WOD:
- [*:pdt4dvs3]Deadlift - 1x11x45lbs, 1x8x135lbs, 1x5x185, 1x2x225lbs, 2x3x275lbs
[*:pdt4dvs3]3 rounds:
[*:pdt4dvs3]5 rounds:
15sec Adv Tuck FL
15sec XR strap HS
15sec German Hang
[*:pdt4dvs3]2x10 Wall Extensions
Notes:
- [*:pdt4dvs3]Deadlifts are underhand grips for first 2-3 warm up sets, overhand for last 1-2 warmup sets, and mixed if needed for work sets
[*:pdt4dvs3]I used the pulley so I could do controlled muscle ups, although i struggled a bit on the -15lbs ones and kinda did that one arm at a time thing
[*:pdt4dvs3]I still find the hardest part of XR HS's getting into the HS. It is pretty scarry flipping myself up without feeling like I am gonna break my neck on the concrete floor. Of course, I am sure the HS's would be harder if I was strong enough to lock my elbows out.
WEEK 1
DAY 6
Warm Up:
- [*:1rbd2jzs]7min Jumping rope - lots of double unders today
[*:1rbd2jzs]Rotational Shoulder prep
[*:1rbd2jzs]Knee Prep
[*:1rbd2jzs]5 x XR Dips, wide grip pull ups
[*:1rbd2jzs]Dumbbell Bench Press: 1x8x20lbs(ea), 1x5x30lbs(ea), 1x3x40lbs(ea)
WOD:
- [*:1rbd2jzs]Front Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 3x5x160lbs
[*:1rbd2jzs]3 sets of: XR Support - 15sec, Low straight L-sit - 15sec, Tempo DB Bench Press 5x50lbs(ea)
[*:1rbd2jzs]3 sets of: Adv Tuck BL - 15sec, Tempo BL Curl with feet on ground x5
[*:1rbd2jzs]3 sets of: 90/90 Tuck FL - 15sec, Tempo K2E x 5
[*:1rbd2jzs]10 Bridge Wall Walk
Notes:
- [*:1rbd2jzs]Subbed DB BP for XR dips since I want to work on it some, and this is the day coach said to sub it in
[*:1rbd2jzs]I split up the L-sit and XR support since I am not strong enough to combine them yet without both drastically suffering. This way I get a better workout out of both of them. I think hip flexors are my weakest link on the L-sit
[*:1rbd2jzs]Subbed Knees 2 Elbows for HLL since I have a really weak core...
WEEK 2
DAY 1(8)
Warm Up:
- [*:q35xwchr]5min Jump Rope
[*:q35xwchr]Pulling Shoulder Prep
[*:q35xwchr]6 XR Row, 6 XR Dip
[*:q35xwchr]Knee Prep
WOD:
- [*:q35xwchr]Front Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 3x5x165lbs
[*:q35xwchr]4 Rounds of:
60sec shuttle run
10 Adv Tuck Half Front Pulls
5 Wide Grip Pull Ups (about half in tuck "L")
3 rope ascents - sitting to feet just off ground
Notes:
- [*:q35xwchr]I always feel really weak on these pulling workouts because they are always scheduled in a metcon way. The shuttle runs really kill my strength, and my grip gives out quickly
[*:q35xwchr]I tried to do a full ascent the first time, but it was just too difficult with my heart rate way up there, so I just went the the scaled version
[*:q35xwchr]I think I have been going about a lot of these all wrong. Instead of doing the adv tuck half front pulls I should have been doing the easiest variation straight body I can do fully extended. For example, I find the full body levers to be harder that what I did today, and cranks to be harder as well. I think from now on, on exercises like these, I am going to go back to the easiest variations in the book until I can do them perfectly, before moving on to more advanced versions (even in the easier mods of them)... I hope in the long run this will make me stronger all around and mean I have to spend less time on tuck version when I get to them.
WEEK 2
DAY 3(10)
Warm Up:
- [*:3pbcvhz4]5min Jump rope
[*:3pbcvhz4]6 BTN Pull ups, 6 XR Dips
[*:3pbcvhz4]Knee Prep
[*:3pbcvhz4]Wrist Prep
WOD:
- [*:3pbcvhz4]Deadlift: 1x11x45lbs (UH), 1x8x145lbs (UH), 1x5x195lbs (UH), 1x2x235lbs (OH), 2x3x290lbs (OH)
[*:3pbcvhz4]Cast Wall Walks - 7,5
[*:3pbcvhz4]Pike Press HeS - 5, freestanding
[*:3pbcvhz4]Straddle Press HeS - 6,6 Freestanding, head elevated 8in
[*:3pbcvhz4]8 rounds: 2 box HeSPU (freestanding), 6 wall walks, 2 Negative wall HeSPU, 6 wall walks, 2 box HeSPU (freestanding)
Notes:
- [*:3pbcvhz4]In deadlift UH is underhand grip, OH is overhand grip and MX is mixed grip
[*:3pbcvhz4]Walking HeSPU ladder was brutal. I have such weak shoulders....