This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Nick's Functional Fitness

Started by Freeflyer, August 29, 2010 · 230 Replies · 12,562 Views

Freeflyer

WEEK 6

DAY 6 (41)

Warm Up:

  • [*:1o4y77f6]Kettle Bell Drills
    [*:1o4y77f6]500m row - 1:55

WOD:

2 rounds of:

  • [*:1o4y77f6]10 XR Shrugs
    [*:1o4y77f6]10 Inverted XR Shrugs
    [*:1o4y77f6]10 Y-raises - 10lbs ea
    [*:1o4y77f6]Side raises - 10lbs ea
    [*:1o4y77f6]20 Scapula Pushups
    [*:1o4y77f6]10 Front Pulls - tuck
    [*:1o4y77f6]10 Cuban Press - 45lbs
    [*:1o4y77f6]10 DB Flyes - 25lbs ea

  • [*:1o4y77f6]KB Drills
    [*:1o4y77f6]Row 500m - 1:46

Freeflyer

WEEK 7

DAY 3 (45)

GB WOD Here

Earlier in the day:

  • [*:2izu8abs]16kg Kettlebell Drills - 2hand swings, Clean and Press, Snatch, Turkish Get Up, 1 hand swings
    [*:2izu8abs]Pressing Shoulder Prehab
    [*:2izu8abs]Knee Prehab
    [*:2izu8abs]Wrist Prehab

about 3-4hrs later

Warm Up:

  • [*:2izu8abs]5min Jump Rope
    [*:2izu8abs]10 PPPu, 10 XR False Grip Rows
    [*:2izu8abs]6 XR Dips, 6 BTN Pull Ups
    [*:2izu8abs]3 assisted Muscle Ups
    [*:2izu8abs]1min of total handstands

WOD:

  • [*:2izu8abs]Front Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 3x5x155lbs
    4 Rounds of:
    [*:2izu8abs]2 Cast Wall Walks
    [*:2izu8abs]3 Box HeSPUs
    [*:2izu8abs]2 Cast Wall Walks
    [*:2izu8abs]5 XR Dips
    [*:2izu8abs]2 Cast Wall Walks
    [*:2izu8abs]7 XR Push ups

Notes:

  • [*:2izu8abs]Missed out on working out Monday and Tuesday due to lack of sleep mostly. Work was still quite active, so it wasn't as if I sat around all day. Heck, monday I raised a 2000lbs practice mine from the Briney Depths.
    [*:2izu8abs]Heat index today was over 108*f and I work out outside... Today was stupid exhausting... The heat was just unbearable... I almost threw up multiple times...

Freeflyer

WEEK 7

DAY 5 (47)

Warm Up 1:

  • [*:yyq4yi07]16kg KB drills
    [*:yyq4yi07]Shouler Prehab - rotational
    [*:yyq4yi07]Knee Prehab
    [*:yyq4yi07]1min of handstands

WOD 1:

  • [*:yyq4yi07]Deadlift: 1x11x45lbs (UH), 1x8x135lbs (UH), 1x5x185lbs (UH), 1x3x225lbs (OH), 2x3x290lbs (OH)

About 4 hrs after WOD 1
GB WOD Here
Warm Up 2:
  • [*:yyq4yi07]5min Jump Rope
    [*:yyq4yi07]10 Diamond Pushups, 10 XR Rows
    [*:yyq4yi07]6 XR Dips, 6 Close Grip Chin Ups
    [*:yyq4yi07]3 assisted muscle ups

WOD 2:

  • [*:yyq4yi07]3 Rounds of: Muscle up :arrow: Support (5sec) :arrow: Roll to Inverted Pike :arrow: Adv Tuck BL (5sec) :arrow: Inverted Hang (5sec) :arrow: 90/90 FL (5sec) :arrow: Inverted Pike :arrow: Adv Tuck BL (5sec) :arrow: Inverted Hang (5sec) :arrow: 90/90 FL (5sec) :arrow: Roll back to German L Hang (10sec)

5 rounds of:

  • [*:yyq4yi07]15sec Adv tuck FL
    [*:yyq4yi07]15sec XR Plank RTO
    [*:yyq4yi07]15sec German Hang

Notes:

  • [*:yyq4yi07]Heat index today was 120*F. Had to break up the workout or I would have died... Even at 9:30pm when I did the second half it was still a heat index of 100*F...
    [*:yyq4yi07]Muscle Ups are getting better, but still not there yet.
    [*:yyq4yi07]According to the scale I seem to be slowly losing weight, which is odd since I am not trying to. Hopefully it is all fat, since I don't seem to be losing strength

Freeflyer

WEEK 8

DAY 1 (50)

GB WOD Here

1.5hrs of combatives training this morning

Warm Up:

  • [*:38tada1f]16kg KB Drills - swings, clean and press, snatch, TGU, 1-arm swings
    [*:38tada1f]10 PPPu, 10 XR Row
    [*:38tada1f]6 XR Dips, 6 BTN Pull Ups
    [*:38tada1f]1min spent in handstand
    [*:38tada1f]DB Bench Press: 1x8x25lbs ea, 1x5x35lbs ea, 1x5x45lbs ea

WOD:

  • [*:38tada1f]Front Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 3x5x160lbs

3 rounds of:
  • [*:38tada1f]15 sec Low straight L-sit, 5 Pulley assisted Muscle Ups - 30lbs (skipped final round of MU to spare elbows)\
    [*:38tada1f]15sec Tuck Back Lever, 5 HeS RLL
    [*:38tada1f]15sec Adv Tuck Front Lever, 5 DB BP - 55lbs ea

  • [*:38tada1f]10 Floor Bridges

Notes:
  • [*:38tada1f]I switched DB BP for L-sit raises even though it isn't really a legit sub. But this is my day to work that move, and sit I can't even do an L-sit yet, raises are well beyond me. Also got plenty of L-sit work in since I can't do plance work yet.

Freeflyer

WEEK 8

DAY 3 (52)

GB WOD here

Warm Up:

  • [*:903s1bqh]16kg KB Drills
    [*:903s1bqh]10 Diamond Pushups, 10 XR Rows
    [*:903s1bqh]6XR Dips, 6 Close Chin Ups
    [*:903s1bqh]3 foot Assisted MU
    [*:903s1bqh]1min handstand
    [*:903s1bqh]10 Wrist Pushups
    [*:903s1bqh]Knee Prehab
    [*:903s1bqh]10 Scap pulls, 30sec GH, 10 Scap pushups

WOD:

  • [*:903s1bqh]Deadlift: 1x11x45lbs(UH), 1x8x135lbs(UH), 1x5x185lbs(UH), 1x3x225lbs(OH), 2x3x285lbs(OH)

4 Rounds of:
  • [*:903s1bqh]2 Body Levers - Slightly bent legs (all body levers)
    [*:903s1bqh]5 FL Rows - Tuck
    [*:903s1bqh]2 Body Levers
    [*:903s1bqh]3 FL Pulls - tuck (rnds 1,2); 3 TOPs Pulls - Adv tuck (rnds 3,4)
    [*:903s1bqh]2 Body Levers
    [*:903s1bqh]1 10-15ft rope climb - no feet

Notes:

  • [*:903s1bqh]realized halfway through that is it is better for me to go back and master the beginning steps than jump ahead, so I scaled back the FL Pulls.
    [*:903s1bqh]Almost have a Full Lay Body Lever. I am bent at hips and knees on the way up, but almost fully straight on the negative. Maybe by the seminar?

Freeflyer

WEEK 8

DAY 5 (54)

GB WOD Here

About an hour of ultimate football in the morning. Might have hurt my foot a little landing wrong after going for the ball.

Warm Up 1:

  • [*:3hclyaxl]16kg Kettlebell drills
    [*:3hclyaxl]Wrist Prehab
    [*:3hclyaxl]Knee Prehab
    [*:3hclyaxl]Shoulder Prehab - pressing

WOD 1:

  • [*:3hclyaxl]Front Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 8x3x160lbs
    [*:3hclyaxl]1 min total handstands - Did this in only two sets today!!! (even if they were ugly as sin and I was moving all over the place)

About 2hrs later

Warm Up 2:

  • [*:3hclyaxl]5min Jump Rope
    [*:3hclyaxl]10 PPPu, 10 XR Row
    [*:3hclyaxl]6 XR Dip, 6 BTN pull ups
    [*:3hclyaxl]3 foot assisted Muscle ups

WOD 2:

  • [*:3hclyaxl]5 Cast Wall Walks
    [*:3hclyaxl]2x4 Wall press to handstand - tuck
    [*:3hclyaxl]5 Press to headstand - pike
    [*:3hclyaxl]4 rounds of: 2 Box HeSPU, 6 Wall runs, 2 Negative HeSPU, 6 wall runs, 2 Box HeSPU, 6 wall runs

Notes:

  • [*:3hclyaxl]I like having enough time in the day to break up my workouts, even if it is only 2 hrs. I feel it is better overall than plowing through for 2 straight hours. It also keeps my warm ups nice and brief since I break them in half.
    [*:3hclyaxl]Did a reduced volume on the HS WOD today. They are the main culprit in giving me elbow pain, and since my elbow is finally not hurting anymore, I want to keep it that way.

Freeflyer

WEEK 9

DAY 1 (57)

GB WOD Here

Hour of combatives training this morning. I think I am slowly starting to catch up to my coworkers in strength, I beat a few in grappling today, when usually they just muscle me around :)

Warm Up:

  • [*:3snwmlwt]16kg KB Drills
    [*:3snwmlwt]10 Diamond pushups, 10 XR Rows
    [*:3snwmlwt]6 XR Dips, 6 Close grip Chins
    [*:3snwmlwt]2 foot assisted muscle ups
    [*:3snwmlwt]1min time in handstand
    [*:3snwmlwt]knee prehab
    [*:3snwmlwt]Shoulder prehab - bands

WOD:

  • [*:3snwmlwt]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x115lbs, 1x3x145lbs, 3x5x185lbs
    [*:3snwmlwt]3 sets of Ring strength series 1 - modified. Sets two and three in following videos. Set one was the same, but didn't record for some reason.
    [*:3snwmlwt]3 rounds of: 15sec adv tuck FL, 15sec XR Support, 15sec German "L" hang

Notes:

  • [*:3snwmlwt]Videos will be in next post. Please critique :)
    [*:3snwmlwt]Mixing it up now with alternating weeks of front squat and back squat. Starting fairly low (almost 60lbs less than when I stopped in dec.) so I have plenty of room to keep growing safely and smoothly.
    [*:3snwmlwt]It feels good to see actual results. Until I did the ring strength today and saw my improvement, I really felt like I was getting nowhere slowly... Good to see my (and coaches!) programing is working to some extent.

Freeflyer

Set 2

RHjPqSSihKw

Set 3

4novElZWNW0

Wow... when I recorded these on my camera the video quality was much brighter and nicer overall... I dont know why when I uploaded them you youtube they got so dark and crummy... I was going to put them in digital coaching... but with that terrible quality, it doesn't seem worth it.

Freeflyer

WEEK 9

DAY 2(58)

  • [*:17te62ck]1500m row - 5:48

6 rounds of:
  • [*:17te62ck]7sec Low straight L-sit
    [*:17te62ck]3 Bridge Wall walks

Notes:

  • [*:17te62ck]Gonna start trying to make tues-thurs my FSP and basics days. Today was lighter than it will be, just ramping up to it a little.
    [*:17te62ck]My Low L-sit sucks... I think I am going to have to suck up my pride a little and do Tuck "L"s for a little while. Will still probably do straight ones during ring strength though. Hit it from both angles, haha.

Freeflyer

WEEK 9

DAY 3 (59)

About an hour of combatives training this morning.

Warm Up:

  • [*:1x4qsbfg]1000m Row - 3:48
    [*:1x4qsbfg]10 PPPu, 10 XR Row
    [*:1x4qsbfg]10 BTN pull ups with eagle grips
    [*:1x4qsbfg]Wrist Prehab
    [*:1x4qsbfg]Knee Prehab
    [*:1x4qsbfg]shoulder prehab - bands
    [*:1x4qsbfg]Hands/wrists/Elbow prehab (the one MrBrady put up)

WOD:

  • [*:1x4qsbfg]Dead Lift: 1x11x50lbs (UH), 1x8x140lbs (UH), 1x5x190lbs (UH), 1x3x230lbs (OH), 2x3x290lbs (OH)
    [*:1x4qsbfg]4x15sec Tuck L-sit

Notes:

  • [*:1x4qsbfg]Arms (mostly elbows) were still quite sore from mondays ring strength, so I just did the lower body work today. If I am feeling spry tomorrow I will do the next GB WOD.

Freeflyer

WEEK 9

DAY 4 (60)

GB WOD Here

Warm Up:

  • [*:sheztr2r]16kg KB drills
    [*:sheztr2r]10 diamond pushups, 10 XR Row
    [*:sheztr2r]6 XR Dips, 6 close grip pull ups (eagle grips)
    [*:sheztr2r]3 foot assisted muscle ups
    [*:sheztr2r]1min in handstand
    [*:sheztr2r]DB BP: 1x8x25lbs ea, 1x5x35lbs ea, 1x5x45lbs ea

WOD:

3 rounds of:

  • [*:sheztr2r]15 sec Tuck BL; 5 tempo pull ups, 5 tempo XR rows
    [*:sheztr2r]15 sec tuck L-sit; 5 Tempo DB BP - 55lbs ea, 2 Negative HeSPU
    [*:sheztr2r]15sec Adv Tuck FL; 5 tuck HLL, 5 lying leg levers

Notes:

  • [*:sheztr2r]After taking some of gymgregs advice, I am going back again on some of my progressions. No more multi-place movement for example until my pulling strength in general is well above where it currently is. I am looking at an unbroken set of 20 pull ups and dips... (anyone who happens to read this have thoughts on those numbers?)
    [*:sheztr2r]Since today was supposed to be multiplane movements I added a second movement to work the other directions. I think coach has said this is a good way to go in the past. The extra leg levers was just for good measure
    [*:sheztr2r]Oddly I found my temp0 rows to be harder than the tempo pull ups...
    [*:sheztr2r]I worked really hard on being absolutely sure my palms were back and down on my back lever. I noticed a small difference, but I don't think I was too far off before?

Freeflyer

WEEK 9

DAY 5(61)

Warm Up:

  • [*:2znv5qpn]16kg KB Drills
    [*:2znv5qpn]10 PPPu, 10 XR Rows
    [*:2znv5qpn]6 XR Dips, 6 BTN Pull ups
    [*:2znv5qpn]3 Foot assisted Muscle Ups
    [*:2znv5qpn]1 min in handstand
    [*:2znv5qpn]Wrist Prehab
    [*:2znv5qpn]Knee Prehab
    [*:2znv5qpn]Shoulder Prehab - bands

WOD:

  • [*:2znv5qpn]Low Bar Back Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x115lbs, 1x3x145lbs, 10x3x185lbs
    [*:2znv5qpn]3 rounds of: 20sec Tuck L-sit, 15sec Tuck Back Lever

Notes:

  • [*:2znv5qpn]Handstands are getting a lot better. I can usually do my minute in 3 holds. But my handstands are still very sloppy. I move around a lot, and don't have good body line. I am going to try to start adding some more wall handstands in to work proper body line. I want to keep the freestanding ones though for balance work
    [*:2znv5qpn]I definitely was not doing my Back Levers right before. Now that I've fixed my hand position I feel a significant difference in my arms. At least someone caught it before it was too late though :)

Freeflyer

Haven't been posting it, but I've still been doing those hour long kettle bell classes every saturday. They are terribly hard, strength wise, but they do get my heart rate up a bit at least. And I am largely there to learn good form anyway, so I can do it on my own. I hate paying exorbitant amounts of money for stuff I can do in my garage...

Tarun Suri

Nick, what's your programming for these large volume sessions every now and then? I see the occasional 8 set + on a particular movement like back squats.

Freeflyer

I've been messing around recently to see what I like. But right now I think I am sticking with alternating weeks of front squat and back squat on monday and friday. Monday is 3x5 and friday 8-10X3. I plan on adding 5lbs a week to the FS and 7.5 to the BS, so it is only 10-15lbs a month for each exercise. That way it will hopefully be a nice steady progression, with the two complimenting each other.

I guess we'll just see how it works out. I have goals for each that when I hit I will start working on other things, but I want a 1.5XBW FS and 2XBW BS for now. After that I will start re-learning the olympic lifts again.

Tarun Suri

Great stuff. Please remember to add your insights after you attain your goals or after you pass your testing phase. I'll be sure to read them and learn from your setup. :)

Freeflyer

WEEK 10

DAY 1 (64)

GB WOD Here

Warm Up:

  • [*:syawayu2]16 kg Kettle Bell Drills
    [*:syawayu2]10 Diamond Push Ups, 10 XR Rows
    [*:syawayu2]6 PB dips (with chairs), 6 Close grip chin ups (eagle grips)
    [*:syawayu2]75secs of handstand in 3 attempts
    [*:syawayu2]Wrist Prehab
    [*:syawayu2]Knee Prehab
    [*:syawayu2]Shoulder Prehab - pressing

WOD:

  • [*:syawayu2]Front Squat: 1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 3x5x165lbs

4 Rounds of:
  • [*:syawayu2]10 sec Tuck L-sit
    [*:syawayu2]3 Box HSPU (used parallettes for full ROM)
    [*:syawayu2]10sec Tuck L-sit
    [*:syawayu2]5 XR Dips with leg raise (straight) at top
    [*:syawayu2]10sec Tuck L-sit
    [*:syawayu2]15 Clapping Pushups

Notes:

  • [*:syawayu2]Handstand holds are getting a lot better, and my hops into them are becoming slower and closer to presses
    [*:syawayu2]Changed wrist prehab a bit. Put the pushup variations before the stretches since my wrist always felt to weak to do the pushups properly after the deep stretches. This felt a lot better.
    [*:syawayu2]Not at the level where I even consider planche yet, so I just went with L-sit holds. Still felt it nicely... my core or pretty pathetic...
    [*:syawayu2]Messed around with some weight calf raises at the end, just to get an idea. I think I am going to start incorporating them in the near future, so I want a good idea of what weight is good to start with. Also, since I have no way to do seated ones at home, and debating on the validity of doing them in a half squat position, since straight leg ones only work the gastroc and not the soleous (I hope I didnt get that mixed up, lol).

Freeflyer

WEEK 10

DAY 2 (65)

Warm Up:

  • [*:1j9aprtf]10min of jump rope - 2 rounds of: 100 single unders, 100 alternating feet, 50 criss-cross, 50 criss-cross alternating feet, 25 double unders. Plus an additional 31 double unders at the end.

WOD:
4 rounds of:
  • [*:1j9aprtf]20sec tuck L-sit
    [*:1j9aprtf]3 Bridge Wall Walks
    [*:1j9aprtf]20sec Handstand

4 Rounds of:

  • [*:1j9aprtf]15sec Adv Tuck FL
    [*:1j9aprtf]15sec Tuck BL (really focus on proper hand position)
    [*:1j9aprtf]30sec Headstand

Notes:

  • [*:1j9aprtf]Jump rope felt great today. Normal I only get 1 round of that in 5min and used to not be able to even finish the second round (no double unders) in 10min. But today I finished early enough to bust out an extra 31 DU's. I did notice my arms actually gave out on those before anything else. I couldn't get the rotational speed at the end to keep it going, otherwise it would have been a lot more.
    [*:1j9aprtf]This is pretty much my new FSP Day. I meant to have more handstand work, but since tomorrow is a HS WOD day, I figured I would take it easy. Probably will just move the headstands to another round with German hangs (cant really think of anything else to do here...) and replace them with more handstands in the round they are in.
    [*:1j9aprtf]This still took an excessively long time... over 50min. I need to work on taking less rest so this whole WOD only lasts about 30.

Freeflyer

So my Wife and I are officially coming to all 3 days of the Seminar. Hope to see many of you there!

Freeflyer

WEEK 10

DAY 4 (67)

GB WOD Here

Warm UP:

  • [*:b0d1a36z]16kg KB Drills - added an extra rep to C&P and 2 reps to snatch
    [*:b0d1a36z]10 PPPu, 10 XR Row
    [*:b0d1a36z]6 XR Dip, 6 BTN Pull Up
    [*:b0d1a36z]3 foot assisted Muscle Ups
    [*:b0d1a36z]1min+ spent in handstand
    [*:b0d1a36z]Wrist Prehab
    [*:b0d1a36z]Knee Prehab
    [*:b0d1a36z]Shoulder Prehab - Bands (half volume)

WOD:

  • [*:b0d1a36z]Dead Lift: 1x11x50lbs, 1x8x140lbs, 1x5x190lbs, 1x3x230lbs, 2x3x295lbs

  • [*:b0d1a36z]7, 5 Cast Wall Walks
    [*:b0d1a36z]4, 3 Wall Tuck Press Handstand
    [*:b0d1a36z]4, 4, 4 Pike Press Headstand - elevated 18in
    [*:b0d1a36z]12 Rounds of 30sec on, 45sec rest: Rounds 1,3,5 - XR Support; Rounds 7, 9, 11 - XR Plank; Rounds 2,4,6,8,10,12 Wall Handstand
    [*:b0d1a36z]14 pull ups

Notes:

  • [*:b0d1a36z]Intended to do all odd rounds as XR Support, but after the third one I realized that wasn't happening. Went to a RTO Plank with my feet elevated almost to my shoulders.
    [*:b0d1a36z]I feel like neither of these things I am doing are an effective way to build a decent press to Handstand... I know it takes a long time, but I feel like progress is just stupid slow.
    [*:b0d1a36z]Did a max set of pull ups at the end just to see what I could do. I did 14 real pull ups, then a few more with a little kip. Not my best ever, but I think I am overall stronger than I was back when I could do 20 pull ups. And I will get there again soon.

Freeflyer

WEEK 10

DAY 6 (69)

Warm Up:

  • [*:26kt5g3w]16kg KB Drills
    [*:26kt5g3w]10 Diamond Pushups, 10 XR Rows
    [*:26kt5g3w]6 XR Dips, 6 Close Grip Chins (eagle grip)
    [*:26kt5g3w]3 Foot assisted Muscle ups
    [*:26kt5g3w]1min+ spent in HS
    [*:26kt5g3w]10 Wrist Pushups

WOD:

  • [*:26kt5g3w]Front Squats:1x8x45lbs, 1x5x95lbs, 1x3x135lbs, 9x3x165lbs

Notes:
  • [*:26kt5g3w]I had zero energy today. I was dying on what should have been a relatively easy squat exercise. And I had intended to do the Pulling WOD today, but just did not have the strength or motivation to even start it. I am fairly certain my lack of energy comes from yesterday... Work went really really late so I did not work out like I intended. Instead I ended up eating mexican food (ie tons of corn tortilla chips), lots of cookies, and drinking too much margarita. Then I didnt go to bed until almost 3 am, likely fairly dehydrated All in all a really bad combo for my performance today i would say. Just goes to show how one day of crap can affect the next day though.
    [*:26kt5g3w]Really excited about tomorrow. Doing the CF Mobility WOD Certification with Kelly Starrett. This should be very useful, since mobility is a big sticking point of mine.

Tarun Suri
Nick_EOD said:

[*]Really excited about tomorrow. Doing the CF Mobility WOD Certification with Kelly Starrett. This should be very useful, since mobility is a big sticking point of mine.

So totally jealous! Let us know how your experience will go.

Freeflyer

Got a lot to catch up on. First the workout stuff:

Monday - Combatives in the morning. Started my warm up that night, but was exhausted from lack of sleep 2 nights in a row. So I didn't do anything more than a little kettle bell work.

Today - STRESS COURSE!! This thing was a beast. I'll give an overview:

  • [*:3rxme2dr]Begin with two trips up a 75ft tower using stairs and fastroping down. The second time was in full kit (including weapons) and pack which is about 50-60lbs of gear. *Run to the next station (all runs with full kit and pack)*
    [*:3rxme2dr]Obstacle Course. This was done in kit but no pack. Course consists of, but not limited to: 15ft rope wall, Log rollers (really hard to explain), ascending height log hurdles, balance beam walk, pull ups, more log hurdles, cargo net climb (40ft) with rope descent, Tire high knees, Ascending logs that you climb up about 10 ft then jump down from the last one, 6ft wall (no rope), concrete tunnel to crawl through, Giant sand hill to climb, Widely spaced monkey bars, crawl under a cargo net close to the ground, Rope swing onto a log then jump off, over and under logs. Most obstacles 50-100ft apart in soft sand with varying hills. This was a beast. *Run to next Station*
    [*:3rxme2dr]Got dressed out in a bomb suit (about 80lbs) and had to take an x-ray of a suspicious package in a dark room. Then analyze the x-ray to determine if it is and IED, how it works, and how to defeat it. *Run to next station*
    [*:3rxme2dr]Had to open a box on top of a building, from 200ft away, out of line of sight, using only what I had on me and in my pack (some line, tape, zipties and carabiners). *Run to next station*
    [*:3rxme2dr]Recon a UXO to later determine what it is *Run to next station*
    [*:3rxme2dr]Clear through a minefield to rescue a downed soldier and extract him to safe place for medical attention *run to next station*
    [*:3rxme2dr]Assault a building with armed enemies. While in said building, found a civilian held hostage by an IED. Had to negotiate the device and rescue the hostage. *Run to next station*
    [*:3rxme2dr]See the package from earlier that was X-ray'ed. Have to perform a precision technique on it remotely utilizing the prior the knowledge I gained earlier of what it was, how it worked, and where in it (since it was a closed box), the individual components were *Run to next station*
    [*:3rxme2dr]Climb a 200ft sand hill that is steep enough that I spent half the time on my hands and feet to keep from sliding back down. *Run to Finish Line*
    [*:3rxme2dr]At finish line have to find that UXO and determine what it is, how much explosives are in it, and all safety precautions in requires.

NOTE: Most of the running between stations was in soft sand up and down hills, although a small amount was on a road. Total running distance was probably 5mi.

I intended to do a workout today when I got home, but that course smoked me. It took close to 2hrs and by the time I got home today, I wanted to do nothing but take a nap. Definitely will do one tomorrow though. Next week there will be no WODs since it will be a week straight of very little sleep (maybe 4hrs/night) and constant drills. It is our team evaluation process to determine if we are qualified to deploy and/or respond around the world. So there will be no time or energy for working out. I need a week off anyway, since I think I am starting to overreach a little anyway.

Sunday I attended the Crossfit Movement and Mobility Trainer Seminar taught by Kelly Starrett. I will post a detailed post about it, in the thread I made a while back about whether or not I should go. I will just say it was one of the most informative classes I have ever been to, and way way worth the money. I would recommend it to absolutely everyone who wants the most out of their performance or even considers coaching athletes.

Gavin Strelitz

That obstacle course sounds brilliant. How often would you guys do something like this?

Freeflyer

Not too often really. Every couple of months. It is mostly to test out your gear and make sure nothing will fall out in during lots of movement. Also to test our job skills under the stress of being very tired. It is also a nice test of general physical fitness. I definitely tested my upper body strength, lower body strength (on the hills in particular), and a serious test of endurance.

It is a lot of fun, but we spend so much time just training our job, or taking care of admin/supply/etc type issues, that stuff like this takes a back seat. it is great for the occasional test though, to see where you are at. I was surprised at how well i kept up with running in full kit to be honest. I never run at all anymore. I guess all those squats really are paying off, helping me carry that extra load around. I wasn't the fastest guy on the team, but definitely not the slowest either, which is great, since I usually am one of the physically weaker guys.