This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110607

Started by Coach Sommer, June 7, 2011 · 8 Replies · 2,098 Views

Coach Sommer

FwnbE7hHsEU

Perform the following:

3 sets of Basic Ring Strength 3

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Add additional MU and XR Shoulder-stand Presses as necessary to make the series challenging for your current strength level.

2) Be sure to select the most challenging MU variation that you can perform virtuously.

3) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

4) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

5) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

6) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL and then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

7) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

Josh Schmitter

Wrist Routine

FSP prereq. warmup

Lower Leg prehab

WOD

3 rounds ring strength 1(with 3 pulls/dips subbed for muscle up)

5x15

-tuck L-sit hang in pull up grip

-XR support hold

-German hang foot assist

-Wall Extentions(10, 8+2)

Comments:

-Anyone know if there is anything in between a dead grip pull up hang and a Tuck FL for subbing? Tried l-sit but that seems to involve completely different musculature.

-Read that coach prefers an XR support hold for a ring handstand sub...does this include if you can only hold it with slightly rolled shoulders, or should I just stick with PB support and/or floor handstands?

Glad to be back on the WOD's

Tarun Suri
TANSTAAFL said:

-Anyone know if there is anything in between a dead grip pull up hang and a Tuck FL for subbing? Tried l-sit but that seems to involve completely different musculature.

Dead hang, chinup grip, shoulders actively retracted and depressed. I think that should be mastered prior to tuck FL holds.

Josh Schmitter
RandomHavoc said:
TANSTAAFL said:

-Anyone know if there is anything in between a dead grip pull up hang and a Tuck FL for subbing? Tried l-sit but that seems to involve completely different musculature.

Dead hang, chinup grip, shoulders actively retracted and depressed. I think that should be mastered prior to tuck FL holds.

Thanks for taking the time Havoc...why chinup grip though?

Tarun Suri

Anyone know what to visualize so that I can complete the forward roll? I always get to the top of a pullup position, but am unable to muscle myself back to support. From the videos I've seen, if performed correctly, there is no muscle up, they just happen to transition to the top.

Are they just making it look easy, or am I missing something in my technique?

TANSTAAFL said:
RandomHavoc said:
TANSTAAFL said:

-Anyone know if there is anything in between a dead grip pull up hang and a Tuck FL for subbing? Tried l-sit but that seems to involve completely different musculature.

Dead hang, chinup grip, shoulders actively retracted and depressed. I think that should be mastered prior to tuck FL holds.

Thanks for taking the time Havoc...why chinup grip though?

Quite honestly, I don't know. However, it has been mentioned often enough on the forums for me to know that that position is one that must be mastered. The connective tissue on the shoulder needs to strengthen to stay in that hanging potion without "ripping your arms off your shoulder socket". Why it's more efficient in chinup than pullup position, I'm unsure. I do know that pullup feels more comfortable for me, but that may just be due to my time spent doing kipping pullups with crossfit.

Nic Scheelings

In my opinion the biggest problem most people have with this is maintaining their false grip, work hard on trying to keep ur false grip and it gets much easier. Another common mistake is to drop down to a dead hang again after rolling forward, maintain a bent arm hang position and then just perform a bent arm muscle up. You need to learn to maintain muscle contraction and not relax halfway through the movement.

Hope this helps

Adam Bodestyne

I agree with Demus. I only just managed to get a forward roll on the rings a couple of days ago; it was through trying to slow down the roll as much as I could manage, so that at the point where I would normally just tip over forward and lose body tension, I focused on holding my grip and keeping my arms bent and legs tucked. After I rolled, I found myself able to pull up into support again, when previously I would just get stuck.

Josh Schmitter
RandomHavoc said:
Anyone know what to visualize so that I can complete the forward roll? I always get to the top of a pullup position, but am unable to muscle myself back to support. From the videos I've seen, if performed correctly, there is no muscle up, they just happen to transition to the top.

Are they just making it look easy, or am I missing something in my technique?

This is some feedback from killroy's questions about the forward roll and his eventual completion thereof :).

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5619

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4763&start=15

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5966

RandomHavoc said:

Quite honestly, I don't know. However, it has been mentioned often enough on the forums for me to know that that position is one that must be mastered. The connective tissue on the shoulder needs to strengthen to stay in that hanging potion without "ripping your arms off your shoulder socket". Why it's more efficient in chinup than pullup position, I'm unsure. I do know that pullup feels more comfortable for me, but that may just be due to my time spent doing kipping pullups with crossfit.

Yeah, I'm doing the chin up dead hang in my pre-req warm up(but you don't retract the shoulders for that). I would think a pull up dead hang would be more beneficial as that's the actual grip the FL is in...but I could easily be wrong. Thanks again.

Tarun Suri

You guys are awesome, thanks!

And you're right, there isn't supposed to be retraction and depression in the hang, but it should be there for the movements, like pullups and chinups.