This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110214

Started by Coach Sommer, February 14, 2011 · 29 Replies · 4,382 Views

Coach Sommer

Jw-76VswCfY

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Galimores

1 Embedded BL + 6 Tempo Circular Archups

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier CPP variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

4) Use a tempo of 313 for the basic strength sets.

5) You may adjust the body position as needed today during the Galimores. If Galimores are too demanding, substitute another CPP that is more in line with your current strength levels.

6) Add weight as necessary to the any of the exercises to make them very challenging for the five repetitions.

7) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary.

8 ) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

j4b

Yeeeaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh galimores :D

Archbishop o balance

I'm Nowhere near Galimores quite yet =P

Would the Muscle-up be a suitable progression?

Kenneth Manning

Read the post on galimores, lots of great progressions there.

Archbishop o balance

Man.. I clearly need my morning coffee! Much obliged, Killroy :)

Kenneth Manning

Haha, no problem, I do the same thing all to often.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

OH god. I'm going to scale down to Roeslers, either way I don't think I'll last a long time haha.

David Barclay

Great workout, thank you.

Here is how I scaled.

10 min warm up on the treadmill

3 rounds

- 15s L-sit on parallets, 20s rest, Gallimore Progression #3. (4 straight bar dips + 3 Tuck FL Pulls)

- 15s adv tuck BL, 20s rest, 6 circular archups

- 15s FL tuck, 20s rest, 5 straight bar leg lifts

2 x 5 full back bridges (not having much luck with the wall walk. Can't even do 2 without having to stop)

Josh Schmitter

This was a tough, but good one today. (also working slizzardman's pulling routine so no pulling for the galimore sub)

3 rounds:

15s Lsit low x 5 tempo pushups (did 2 extra sets of them in the beginning)

15s German hang foot support x 6 tempo regular archups...hit the lower back so good.

15s Flat Tuck(mostly) FL x 5 tempo HLL legs bent...more and more as sets went on.

10 Bridge wall walks

I found out a few weeks back I am even weaker than I thought with regular pushups as 5x5 tempo are still very difficult for me, so I figured I best focus a bit on those before increasing dip strength(which is also weak).

Everything was very intense with the tempo today...the HLL I do from a pull up bar with a closed door behind me to help with shoulder support, but I can't extend to a straight leg hang so I bend my knees at the bottom and straighten as much as possible on the way up. Even with that short ROM, they were rough.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

XR support to L sit 15 sec x 3 sets + tempo adv tuck FL to MU x 5,5,4+1*

front pull to BL (10 sec + 5 sec adv tuck); half lay BL (15 sec) x 2 sets + arched back tempo good mornings 115x6,6,6

MU, lower to adv tuck FL (15 sec) x 3 sets + HLL tempo 5,5; tempo HLL half x 5

10 bridge wall walks

*I was looking in my workout log and saw that about 5 weeks ago I was attempting moving from a tuck FL to a MU. The reason was I was trying to strengthen areas that would help me achieve the front roll from support to MU. Anyway, I was unable to do even one. So today, in warming up, I tried again to see if I could eek out a rep. I really surprised myself by doing 2 in a row without too much of an issue. I then achieved the proper rep and tempo for the first 2 sets and just barely missed my 5th rep on the last set, and just did one stand alone rep after a 10 sec break. I think what made the huge difference in my ability here is that after seeing some MU-technique critiques, I've been making damn sure to start every MU from a FULL hang (no bent arms) with the rings turned out. I think just focusing on the proper technique has improved my pulling strength, especially through the transition, as well as increased my strength in maintaining a false grip.

Anyway, I was incredibly pleased with the improved strength I discovered in today's workout!

Mats Trane

Congrats on the progress Killroy!

How did you work on maintaining à steong false grip?

Justin Kyle

FSP:

3x20 sec planche leans

Tuck Pl - 4x5sec holds

WOD:

1 embedded XR L-Sit + 5 tempo Roeslers (mix of pike and straddle presses to shoulderstand)

1 embedded full/straddle BL + 6 tempo windshield wipers

1 embedded adv. tuck FL + 5 tempo Russian Leg Lifts (was not pleased with these...crazy hard!)

*Finished with 10 bridge wall walks and 3x5 swiss ball planche leans with 3 sec static holds.

Tim Trujillo

I've started doing some of these Gymnastic WODs last summer and am pleased by the progress I've gained from them. There's one thing I could use some pointers on and it seems to be a skill needed for doing Gilamores.

How to do press to handstands on the rings???

I can do Roeselers fairly proficiently as well as handstand push ups on the rings. I'm having difficulties keeping my arms straight while I attempt to press into a handstand and I just end up going into a shoulder stand.

Any suggestions or progressions to work on would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Kenneth Manning

Thanks cdx!

Up until about a 4-5 weeks ago, whenever MU's were included in a WOD, I was cheating with my form. Essentially, I was beginning from a hang, but instead of arms completely straight and rings turned out, the rings were turned "in," (think more supinated grip) and arms were slightly bent. When I started working them correctly, I initially found that the false grip was much much harder to maintain while in a straight arm hang with the rings turned out (each palm facing outward to the side and away from my body). Anyway, over the course of the last couple of weeks I've noticed that from working MU's in this fashion, I've experienced some improvement in my ability to maintain my false grip during consecutive MU's as well as the FL-->MU that I did today.

The forward roll to MU has eluded me for quite some time. I'm anxious to achieve that. My main issue seems to be that I don't have good control during the roll and roll too fast, which has led to arms straightening too much and my false grip slipping out completely. However, I think I'm making progress and moving in the right direction.

Alexander Moreen
TTT said:
I've started doing some of these Gymnastic WODs last summer and am pleased by the progress I've gained from them. There's one thing I could use some pointers on and it seems to be a skill needed for doing Gilamores.

How to do press to handstands on the rings???

I can do Roeselers fairly proficiently as well as handstand push ups on the rings. I'm having difficulties keeping my arms straight while I attempt to press into a handstand and I just end up going into a shoulder stand.

Any suggestions or progressions to work on would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Get a standing press on the floor, then work on a straddle L press on the floor and a Pike press on parallets. Then when you can do a couple reps in a row there work on super slow negative presses on the rings.

Squatchy

FSP:

adv frogstand

handstand

WU

3 sets body row muscle ups changing foot position to increase difficulty each set

3sets (rest 1:30-2 mins between sets)

start at bottom portion of dip, press up to support to 15sec XR L-sit, then lower back down - (rest 15sec or so) - 5 XR dips + 5 flat tuck FL pulls

3sets

lower from inv hang to 15s adv flat tuck BL, lower to german hang and back pull to inv hang - (rest 15sec or so) - 6 tempo circular arch-ups (over arm of couch with brother holding legs)

3sets

tuck front pull with a 15s adv flat tuck FL on the way back down - (rest 15sec or so) - 5 tempo HLL half (there were a few that were tuck half)

I have my rings hanging from a doorway pullup bar. For shoulder support while doing the HLL I put a walking stick through the rings and had it resting against the door frame. I hung from the pullup bar with my shoulders against the stick so I wouldn't lean back, worked pretty well.

finished with 10 bridge wall walks, then after a short rest decided to do 5 more for the heck of it

John Sapinoso

Wasn't feeling up for the whole WOD today but I did try something fun with the galimores

r1Tn3pCGfdY

Tim Trujillo

Thanks for the advice Lavastine.

I hadn't thought about doing negatives but it seems like a real good way to go. Maybe it's kind of backwards but I feel way more stable on rings than I do on parallets. Maybe it's because my handstands still need a lot of work.

Josh Schmitter

That was awesome ts00nami! Funny and impressive, always a killer combo. Plus, for addition to the funny, your 'something fun with the galimores' is well beyond my entire WOD :).

Stewart Whaley

Need to lose bodyfat so upping my

conditioning.

At lunch:

5 rounds

5 db swings per arm

5 db snatches per arm

10 burpees

60 secs rest

Finisher - 3 sets farmer's walk 2x100 dbs 40 meters

(credit to Ross Enamait for the above)

After work

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded XR L-sit (low) + 5 galimore progression 1

1 Embedded German Hang + 6 Tempo Circular Archups

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo Leg Lifts

10 Bridge Wall Walks - very short walks due to bad thoracic/shoulder mob. If go low at all I get a lot of low back pressure.

Ts00nami, I hate you. :D

Nice work, man.

Mark Wyly

Im not sure if I should be happy or sad this is my recovery week! Those galimores look fun and veeery challenging. Nice variation @tsoonami. Keep up the hard work everyone and im lookin forward to coming back stronger in a week.

Did some light fsp work, stretching, shoulder openers and bridge walks.

Peace

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
ts00nami said:
Wasn't feeling up for the whole WOD today but I did try something fun with the galimores

r1Tn3pCGfdY

HAHA AWESOME!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

12 Shoulder Dislocate

5 Pullups CTB

5 Kipping HLL

5 Archups

FSP:

L-Sit (Floor; 20s, 10s, 10s)

WOD:

Iron Cross Pulls (10#, 12.5#, 15#)

3 sets each:

1 Embedded XR L-Sit + 1 Roesler + 4 Seated Muscle Ups

Rest 2 mins

1 Embedded Back Lever (Straddle) + 6 tempo Circular Archups

Rest 2 mins

1 Embedded Front Lever (Flat Tuck/Tuck) + 5 tempo HLL (Reverse Grip)

Rest 5 mins

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

IWc5k1FY5qQ

Note: I was everywhere lol :shock:

Mats Trane

Thanks for sharing Killroy!

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Killroy, I saw your post about the elusive forward roll to MU. I had exactly the same problem and seem to be progressing with my MU and FL to MU in the same manner you describe. So maybe it will help you to know how I finally got my elusive forward roll to MU.

You have to bear with me, and may not need all the steps that I needed and discuss below.

In my case, it turned out to be mostly a lack of coordination so I tried to break down the movement into more doable parts. As a warmup, I first do a couple of pullovers (including the forward roll back) on a bar that I hang from my rings (it helped me to learn to control my legs during the first part of the forward roll, plus you get a feel for the timing of the pull into the MU). Then I do a couple of MUs from a hanging upside down piked position. Just go into reverse hang and pike your straight legs by bringing your knees to your nose and go into a controlled roll towards a MU. You will be surprised how easy the MU becomes if you use the momentum from your forward roll. Lastly, with rings at almost chest high, jump up into the forward roll. First, you can check your forward speed with your legs against the straps. After a while you will find that you can slow down your forward roll and control your MU pretty well without having to straighten your arms to absorb the shock load from your legs dropping down. I managed to complete the whole sequence for the first time yesterday (first time, I tried it that way) and ended up practicing the jump-into-a-forward-roll -plus-MU for at least half an hour because it felt so good. To make sure I “got itâ€, I finally did a couple of forward rolls starting from a L-sit in the rings.

Now, for a Galimore on my dining room table ......... Only, in my wildest dreams, or maybe on one of my off-days (lol). Nice to see you do that Ts00nami. Please keep posting your videos. You are a great source of inspiration.

I hope, this helps.