This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110429

Started by Coach Sommer, April 29, 2011 · 7 Replies · 1,910 Views

Coach Sommer

vTIfss5oF8w

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

10 – Front Pulls

5 – Wide Grip Pull-ups in L-sit

1 – 15’ Cirque

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Move immediately from the Shuttle Run to the Front Pulls. You may adjust the body position as necessary during the Front Pulls. It is not necessary to use the same body position for both the ascent and descent.

4) Focus on full range of motion during the Wide Grip Pull-ups in L-sit. If a normal L-sit is too challenging, adjust the leg position as needed.

5) If you do not have a rope, substitute 10-15 Towel Pull-ups for the Cirque.

6) Do not rest more than 2-3 breaths in between exercises. If you are resting more than this or are unable to achieve the RX'd repetitions, you need to scale down the workout to accommodate your current strength levels.

7) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

Adam Bodestyne

Oh boy, this was a bit of a mess. Did a poor job of judging how I'd manage, and did not have my book with me to help think of appropriate scaling. Felt a bit slack this workout. Nevertheless.

Warm up:

My usual warm-up of joints, wrist work, band work for the shoulders, and static holds.

first round:

60 sec shuttle run.

5 flat-tucked front pulls, short break (a few seconds), 3 tucked front pulls, (breath again), 2 tightly tucked front pulls.

10 L-sit wide-grip pull-ups; legs began to drop after 5.

6 towel pull-ups.

rounds two, three and four:

60 sec shuttle run.

10 band-assisted tucked front pulls. (5 + 2 + 2 + 1 on the last round)

10 wide-grip pull-ups in a tucked L-sit. (5 + 3 + 2 on the last round)

6 towel pull-ups.

In retrospect, I probably should have tried scaling the front pulls back to "front pull halves", or even further back. The scaling for the others may have been different, had I not worn myself out so thoroughly just on the front pulls.

Oh well, felt great, anyhow; hopefully I'll do better next one!

Uzeeh

My pulling workouts have been getting worse and worse. I couldn't even do rope climb. I'll probably rest next week. Anyway, I modified this workout to suit my strength today as such:

WU:

Front lever flat tuck - 5x12s

WOD:

2x3 flat tuck front pulls

4x pyramid set of tempo tuck-L-pull-ups (1,2,3,4, 30s rest between reps, 4 min between sets, tempo of 4-1-4)

My dynamic pulls haven't been that good, and I think I need more basic strength. I did a pyramid because I've gotten the impression that volume is very important with pull-ups, and that way I could get many reps without fatiguing too much. The slow tempo makes those rather hard, and in the end I felt that my biceps were really worked.

John Sapinoso

biceps are dying from those back lever curls, but I can't wait to get into the gym and bang out this WOD!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

I hate my rope... thats all i got to say...

SpGTMWxqn0o

James Portillo

MetCon pulling workout days are fun but they always slay me; my grip tends to give out before my lats do. =/

WU:

Light jogging, joing mobility, wrist routine, "getting started" pre req static holds, ido scap routine

WOD:

rd 1&2: 60s sprinting in place, half front tuck pulls, chin ups, towel rows

rd 3&4: 60s sprinting in place, negative front tuck pulls, negative chins, towel rows

finish with 2x10 wall extensions and full body stretching.

By the end of rd 3 my forearms were fried.. need to strengthen them with assistance work?

William Reed

Quick ? which would I benefit from the most, doing the amount of rx reps and having to come off the bar numerous times or do the amount I can stay on the rings/bar for (for this workout only)? Is this made to be a MetCon style of workout? Obviously not for time. But would I be getting too much rest from getting back down off the bar? It seems like we are working on muscular endurance here. It's great because I need it. Thanks.

Jump rope for 3 mins

Dynamic stretching

FSPs

Feeling wiped out after the WU

Front Squat- Bar x 10, 135x6, 185x5, 205x3, 205x3

FL/BL work

60 sec Double Unders x4

Tucked Front Pulls 8, 8, 8, 8

Wide Grip Pull-ups in L-sit 3, 3, 3, 3

Towel Pull Ups 3, 3, 3, 3

XR Push up Support hold XR turned out 30secs on 1 min off x4

Ring Push ups 30secs on 1 min off x 4, 3rd&4th round were feet elevated

Tucked BL/FL 10-27secs x 4

Shoulder stands from L-sit on 80lbs kettle bells- 2,3 nice 10 sec pauses at the top

Squatchy

did 4 rounds (3min rest)

sprints

10 front pulls (tuck, flat tuck on negative on some)

5 wide grip pullups in L (had to take a second of rest in between on some of em, especially later)

15 towel pulls (hanging towel on pullup bar, pulling one side at a time so its like im climbing a rope)

Rudeskin said:
Quick ? which would I benefit from the most, doing the amount of rx reps and having to come off the bar numerous times or do the amount I can stay on the rings/bar for (for this workout only)? Is this made to be a MetCon style of workout? Obviously not for time. But would I be getting too much rest from getting back down off the bar? It seems like we are working on muscular endurance here. It's great because I need it. Thanks.

Yeah it's more of a metcon type workout. It would be best to scale/replace exercises with ones that you can do the prescribed # of reps for. For example if you can't do towel pullups, then replace them with towel rows or something like that.