This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110519

Started by Coach Sommer, May 19, 2011 · 11 Replies · 2,113 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo FL Rows

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Wall Pushups

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo HLL

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Row/Pushup variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Focus on maintaining completely locked, straight elbows at all times during the XR L-sits. You may adjust the position of the legs as necessary.

4) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

5) Use a tempo of 322 for the basic strength sets. For the pull-ups, this equates to a 3 second ascent, followed by a 2 second pause at the top, then a 2 second descent.

6) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary.

7) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Uzeeh

WU:

Ido's scapula routine and shoulder ROM routine

Fooling around with one-handed elbow leaver

WOD:

3x5 Bulgarian rows

3x5 Assisted one-handed pushups (The proper ones, shoulders not dropping, the body horizontal all the way, legs together)

3x5 Full HLL with slightly tucked legs (I've got a flexibility problem here, thus not straight legged ones)

I was simply too exhausted to perform the static works. I'm planning to drop the WODs for a while, because of tiredness and simple change. I felt like the routine was just too much right now. I was thinking about doing GTG for handstand presses, one handed pushups and SLS to create basic strength at first.

Kenneth Manning

Took a week off since I started to regress a bit due to some elbow/shoulder issues. First full week off from the WODs in the last year, was tough to stay away.

3 sets each:

front pull-->BL (15 sec) + 5 tempo adv tuck FL rows

MU-->XR L sit (low- 15 sec) + 5 tempo floor PPPs

MU-->adv tuck FL (15 sec) + 5 HLL (tempo was hit and miss with these)

10 bridge wall walks

Michael Traynor

Did this WOD as a giant giant set was so much fun :) but a total killer. Thanks Coach

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Killroy take it easy I have good and bad days as well. No point of injuring yourself... on tuesday I stopped and did not finish; but its better than having an injury and no be able to train for a while. A+ buddy.

Warmup:

Shoulder & Core Drills

WOD: (DID I DO THE WOD properly this time around? Also the wall pushups the way I did them? :?: ; Thanks!)

Bench Press: 80#(5) - 95#(5) - 115#(5)

3 sets of:

1 Embedded Back Lever + 5 tempo FL Rows

Rest 1-2 mins

3 sets of:

1 Embedded XR L-Sit + 5 tempo Wall Walks

Rest 1-2 mins

3 sets of:

1 Embedded Front Lever + 5 tempo HLL

Rest 1-2 mins

Tempo is 322. This is 3s Ascent, 2s Pause, 2s Descent.

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks.

zrYeScJjXA0

Adam Bodestyne
Stubadubb said:
I can do a flat tuck FL and am focusing on German Hangs before BL. Would aiming for a band-assisted full FL and BL help? DO you do them all the time? Sometimes? When you get closer in progressions to the full version?

I'm not really sure on this myself, so I wouldn't mind if someone else more knowledgeable would chime in on whether it's bad to use them too often, or whatever... However, for what it's worth, I see the band-assisted versions can help you get a better feel for what the 'full' movement is (or sometimes just the next progression). For me, with my medium band, I can do straddle BL, and it still feels challenging. However, without the band, I can still only do flat tucked BLs, and pretty much fail if I try to straighten out. The band, then, feels like it gives me an extra progression between the flat-tuck BL and straddle BL, and also lets me start feeling all the muscles that are needed to start straightening out.

Anyway, as for my WOD:

WU

joint warmup

wrist routine

1 min work for each static hold (plank, reverse plank, dish (2x30sec), arch(2x30sec), inverted hang, handstand, dead hang, l-sit)

a handful of pullups and pushups.

WOD

3 sets each:

front pull into band-assisted straddle BL (15 sec) + 5 tempo tucked FL rows

jump to below-horizontal XR L-sit (15 sec) + 5/4/3+1 tempo wall pushups(*)

lower from inverted hang to band-assist straddle FL (15 sec) + 5 HLL (tempo failure.. was probably closer to 111 :))

10 bridge wall walks (First time I've ever made myself complete all 10 bridge wall walks. Yay!)

(*) I think I should have tried a different push-up progression. If these were meant to be like the wall planche pushups as described in the book, then I failed, often, at keeping my shoulders further forward than my hands.

kcjb

thanners, would you mind describing your wrist routine?

If it's in the book, don't sweat it, I apparently just haven't gotten to that page yet. Thanks!

Adam Bodestyne
kcjb said:
thanners, would you mind describing your wrist routine?

If it's in the book, don't sweat it, I apparently just haven't gotten to that page yet. Thanks!

It's similar to one Blairbob posted a video of at some point.. Let me see if I can find it.. Ah, found it:

Wrist routine - I'm not sure about the form of the people in that video. You should see also Coach Sommer's post..

My own routine is:

  • [*:gj1uuum8]Palms flat on the ground, and lean into various directions. Do this with hands facing forwards, backwards, inwards, outwards.
    [*:gj1uuum8]Repeat the above, except with the back of the hands on the ground.
    [*:gj1uuum8]I shake the hands out after this, and then 'flick' my fingers ten times.
    [*:gj1uuum8]Then I do 'pushups' where arms remain straight, and you go from palms flat on the ground, pushing up to fingertips.
    [*:gj1uuum8]Then pushups similar to the above, except this time I'm just lifting the wrist and palm up, leaving the fingers flat on the ground.
    [*:gj1uuum8]Then wrist pushups, on the backs of the hands. (I do these on my knees, because I'd trash my wrists otherwise, until I'm stronger)

kcjb

Wonderful, thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Good question!

Ok the reason i'm using the bands is because is my body needs more time to focus on which muscle to engage; for far too long I've seen no progression in my front lever (espiecially) My muscle feel like their compensating somewhere. I'm not engaging the right muscle(s).

I've been using bands for a while and I feel my body sore in a way I've never was before so I think I'm doing it right now.

I'm probably wrong but when I do my seminar I will understand which muscle and what corrections I need to make.

Can anyone comment if the way I did my sets or giant sets is right to what the coach explains because I'm always confused about it. Thanks!

Michael Traynor
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:
Good question!

Ok the reason i'm using the bands is because is my body needs more time to focus on which muscle to engage; for far too long I've seen no progression in my front lever (espiecially) My muscle feel like their compensating somewhere. I'm not engaging the right muscle(s).

I've been using bands for a while and I feel my body sore in a way I've never was before so I think I'm doing it right now.

I'm probably wrong but when I do my seminar I will understand which muscle and what corrections I need to make.

Can anyone comment if the way I did my sets or giant sets is right to what the coach explains because I'm always confused about it. Thanks!

As far as what the Coach prescribes; we tend to just use the scaled version of the movement (tuck, adv tuck, straddle, half lay, full lay), but I can see value in using bands to help you get the feel of the movement.

I also wonder about the way to do this workout and what Coach means by "Giant Sets". Although I would tend to chose the way you did it as 3rd in my list of preferred methods:

If I am super fresh I will do one giant set which is: FSP1, FBE1, FSP2, FBE2, FSP3, FBE3, rest. repeat.

If I am not so fresh I will do FSP1, FBE1, rest, FSP2, FBE2, rest, FSP3, FBE3, rest, repeat

You are doing FSP1, FBE1, rest x3, FSP2, FBE2, rest x3, FSP3, FBE3, rest x3: This way of interpreting the WOD is perhaps more inline with traditional work-out thinking (working out muscle groups that are warmed up) but I would worry that your energy lvls would be lagging for the 3rd FSP and FBE and that perhaps the quality of work on those would suffer compared to FSP1 and FBE1

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Make sense breaks.

A+ Thanks.