This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Saber2 Workout Log & Comments

Started by Saber2, March 19, 2010 · 171 Replies · 11,094 Views

Saber2

Did the WOD today and it felt god, Ironically it was more like my other days which is what I could use. As for last night we won our game and I was able to play with very little discomfort. I am still icing my knee on a daily basis so hopefully this will be done with in a week or so.

Anyway as you may know I enjoy running. Especially now that I am playing soccer again. I have been building up my speed. I just saw this the other day on TV and I am thinking of investing in it or trying it out. Its the Micoach Pacer from Adidas. It has a HRM and a Stride Sensor that communicates to the main pacer device. What seems to be neat on this is you first start off doing a fitness test to calibrate your heart rate. It then has interval programs that target differet HR ranges. I am under the assumption that the device tells you what range you are in to let you know if you have to speed up or slow down. You can then up load the data to the webpage and track your progress. Its a big chunk of change, but it might be worth it to me to get that little edge by somebody telling me I should run harder based on my current HR. If any you have used this before, please let me know what you think of it, because I am dying to hear other peoples' opinions.

Saber2

Attempted the WOD with no luck.

I did the 3 sets of Pike Press to HeS and 3 sets of 10 Straddle Press to HeS

I can't do the planche yet or roll, because the roll I just face plant and its not a pleasant experience.

did the 2 box HeSPU and tried the wall runs (I am terrible at these to the point I can't really lift my hands I just move side to side hoping that does something) Stopped at the negatives becasue when I threw my leg up against the wall I felt a strong discomfort in the knee.

The remainder of the workout consisted of irritating the knee in attempt to strengthen it. I kicked the Med Ball around, (more like dribbled it side to side to get the lateral motion of the knee working) didn't bother me too much. I ran a 1/4 mile on the treadmill to test out, again ok. Did sideways runs where one foot crosses the other and the next step is reverse. The knee hurt at certain points but not consistently. Then I did the worst idea possible, threw a few light kicks at the heavy bag. I just wanted to see how it felt considering this is a similar movement of how the knee got injured in the first place.

I think I will go back and try to improve on the Wall Runs some more if I can. I really hate being at a stand still, I feel useless when I have to back down this much. :cry:

Saber2

7/26

Posted workout in WOD

7/27

Conditioning

Well I am on the hunt to get my stamina back after a few weeks were my cardio only came from playing soccer. I have not yet picked up Micoach or a heart rate monitor but I am using the interval ideas that are listed on the Micoach website. Today I did 31 minutes of jump roping instead of running, because I felt the impact would not be to harsh on the knees.

5 min easy pace

5 min medium pace

3 min easy

5 min medium

3 min easy

5 min medium

2.5 min easy

Bathroom (I really had to go. I was hoping to hold it but I got to the john just in time.)

2.5 min easy

The way the micoach establishes what is easy is based on your heart rate. It then tells you when you are in the zone or when you drop out of it. I would like to get it because to me that is more functional than just a HR Monitor. Also you can upload these interval sessions to the device and it tells you when to switch zones. I have been spending a lot on hobbies and crap so that is why I am waiting to buy this device while I tighten up my budget.

Tomorrow's game plan is to tackle today's WOD in the morning and do some soccer skills practice at night. I figure training to run and have endurance and speed for soccer and the strength of a gymnast will allow me to get the best of both worlds.

Saber2

7/28 Posted in 7/27WOD

7/29

Cardio

25 min Jump roping using adidas intervals for Micoach.

Blue=Easy jog/Warm Up; Green= Comfortable running pace; Yellow=Hustle (Just shy of full on sprint); Red= Sprint

5min Blue

3 rounds of:

1min Blue

1min yellow

1min green

1min yellow

1min green

5min Blue

Sweat is pouring off me today!!! :twisted:

Saber2

7/29 WOD

overall felt good. Please read because I think I am going to start doing 1 set of form focused static holds as finisher to help develop skill in the holds, the times will not be that long because regretably I am not that strong. I want to know if that is a sound idea or will I run into problems. Thanks

Joshua Naterman

Read my reply and Coach's reply in the 29th's WOD thread.

Saber2

7/30 WOD

Thank you Slizz for the advice.

Saber2

Sunday: Soccer

Monday:

25 Mins Jump roping

4 Min Blue

16 mins of 1 min Yellow, 1 min Green

5 mins Blue

Felt like I needed to sweat today. I am really enjoying these interval sessions.

Saber2

Tuesday:

3x5 dips w/25lbs

3x5 Pullups w/25lbs

3x10 XR PPP

3x5 HeS RLL I was able to do freestanding headstands for a majority of them so thats a plus

Wednesday:

Jump Roping ~25min

4 min Warm Up

1 min run pace

2 min Hustle Pace

2 min Run Pace

2 min Hustle Pace

2 min Jog Pace

1 min Run Pace

2 min Hustle Pace

2 min Run Pace

2 min Hustle Pace

5 min Cool Down

Followed by Tabata (8 sets of 20s on, 10s rest) Speed Steps.

I was looking into getting a HRM but now I think I am just gonna use what I got. I purchased a while back a gymboss timer and I also have a free app for my ipod touch. The app allows for unlimited number of intervals which is what I have been using for jump roping. The actual timer only allows two set interval times for an ungodly amount of time, and will repeat for 99 sets if you want it to or it can go on endlessy. I think I might incorporate using these timers for my weightlifting sets at the very least I can make sure I am taking the proper amount of rest.

The interval sessions seem to be paying off, because I thought the two minute hustle pace would kill me, but it challenged me just right. I think on some days I will also have to incorporate these interval/tabata sessions into some of the regular work. Possibly attempt tabata pullups or rows :twisted:

Saber2

Thursday: 8/5 WOD

Today I used the gymboss timer for my rest periods. One thing I like is when I am done the round just hit start and the countdown begins. Buzzer goes off and I am back at it for the next round. Before I used to guesstimate my rest period, but I actually like this because it keeps me more systematic. I am just curious if anybody else on here uses an interval timer for their training and what type of things you do with it. I don't count boxing timers because they are set on 2/3 min work cycle and :30/1min rest cycles.

Saber2

8/6 Cardio

22min Jump roping

5 min warm up

8 rounds of 30 second sprint pace followed by 1 min of run/jog pace

5 min cool down

Usually I have been using the timer on my Ipod to do these things but today opted for the gymboss timer. Mainly I wanted to see how long it would take to set it up between sessions of warm up to interval and then to cool down. It honestly is less than 30 seconds or just at that at tops. So therefore I figure that isnt all to shabby. I imagine its easier to do when running/ biking where you don't need both hands like in jump roping. Until I watched slizzardman's video it never occurred to me to use this for my static holds. It makes things seem more systematic which will help me be more efficient. I am interested in seeing the benefits to this more appropriately timed workouts.

Saber2

8/7

8/6 WOD

I think I am on a path that is gonna lead to burnout, but I sure as hell hope not. I am now training 6 days a week with soccer being played on my off day. I really don't want to change anything up because I am enjoying it. I will just have to listen to my body to prevent the overtraining. As you can see I am alternating days between cardio and the WOD's. The cardio is more of interval training than anything else now with every intention of moving over to mostly HIIT in the future. I will just have to scale back on the days my body requires it, whether it be WOD or Cardio days.

Saber2

8/8

20 mins of jump roping in the morning. Went to the casino the night before and feasted like a king. Had to do something in the morning. 5 min warm up 10 min constant pace 5 min cool down

Soccer in the evening at 10. It was a long day waiting for the game but it was worth the win we pulled.

8/9

Today's WOD

Also things to mention I am getting closer to the MU now. I truly think it is within my grasp before the year end. This would be big for me because it would be my benchmark that I have been waiting to hit. I must thank Coach Sommers for the workouts and Slizzardman for suggesting them because following the WOD's has made me constantly work the areas I am weak at in skill. I usually would keep to techniques I can do and add weight until I thought I was ready to give the difficult technique another try. However, as I have learned you cannot get better without practicing that technique. Granted perfect practice makes perfect but any practice gets your mind out of the "I can't mode" into the "I am gonna get it" mode which is a big part of being able to do anything. Hahahaha these lyrics just came to mind "Free your mind, the rest will follow" :lol:

Saber2

8/10

Jump Roping

5 min warm up

4 rounds of:

1 min run pace 30 sec jog pace

8 rounds of:

30 sec sprint pace 1min jog/run pace

5 min cool down

Soccer match this evening....

The intervals have been helping a lot for my soccer conditioning. I used to run roughly 12 miles a week but it did not help me when I stepped on the field. However now with this training I am noticing I am not nearly as winded as I was. Also I noticed when others are panting when they step off the field they are doing so longer than I am. So my recovery has been improving. Granted all I have been doing is jump roping, I hope Thursday to attack the road again.

Saber2

8/11

8/10 WOD

So I think I am now on the quest for speed. Two reasons, one is becuase it will help with my soccer, secondly is I think that is where I shine. The feeling I get when I put a good run is probably the same feeling others get when they go to the gym. Don't get me wrong, I have a good feeling when I am done lifting/training too, but the feeling I get from running is so much better to me.

Now I have a question for the people who are affluent in anatomy and physiology. What would be the best way to train those muscles with a limited amount of weight. I am sure deadlifting, squats, etc may be helpful but I don't have access to a gym or traditional weights. My tools are sandbags, vests, bands, and medballs. Any suggestion are more than welcome.

P.S. I feel like I am sucking the knowledge from you guys with out really contributing much in return, so forgive me for this imbalance :oops:

Saber2

8/12

Cardio/Leg work

I don't think I had enough of the shuttle sprints.

5 min warm up jog

5 rounds of 1 min shuttle sprints 2 min active recovery (That was just jogging between the two points)

5 min cool down jog

1 min calf jumps on the bleachers. Only to first step and back

? Duck Jumps (Didn't keep track of rep range just wanted to work the legs)

Jumps for height and distance.

30 second Lunge holds each leg

I realized speed alone will not be attained by only running. There needs to be an element of targeting the leg muscles. Therefore my cardio days may start to be more like coaches routine from yesterday. Only then can I develop the power that is required for speed. On another note those shuttle sprints are so GREAT!!!! It truly proves Newton's law that a body in motion wants to stay in motion. The sprints are not too bad but the stopping and going right back at it is devastatingly effective at getting that heart pumping.

Saber2

8/13

8/12 WOD

This is purely an offtopic rant that has been on my mind. Comments are always welcomed.

I hope that when I am a father I can be a good role model for my children in regards to fitness. When I was younger I was out of shape by a lot to my standards. I loved sports but hated running. Hated sit-ups, pushups, and all those activities. Even when playing sports I used to slack off and hang back. I never ran back and forth because I thought it was pointless. Then I joined the wrestling team where I made a lot of good friends and a coach who inspired me. He is the person who ignited the spark within that started the "heart" to beat. From there on I started to enjoy excercising, because I had a goal to achieve. It doesn't mean my excercises were effective because I still didn't know what I was doing but I got the mindset that chase your dreams and goals because nobody is gonna look out for you. Then I joined the military where excercise was punishment. I still didn't care for running as much because I truly despise being told to run at somebody else's pace. Nonetheless, the military also encourages you to look out for yourself before you look out for others, because you can't protect your buddy if you can't protect yourself. All this advice was fuel to the fire. I felt I could take on the world because I could do anything!!! Then I leave the military and go to college. I am glad I did but at the same time I realize I have my work cut out for me as a father. I don't think our education system empowers our children to understand they can be anything and do anything as long as they have heart!!! Isn't that what made our country so great in the first place. Afterall we are the land of opportunity!!! I feel a lot of these life lessons can be learned through sports and excercise. The idea of not giving up even when you are exhausted can translate to taking the high road in an argument. When you think you can' bench a certain amount and eventually do can translate to other people telling you "you can't" when in time "you do". This is what I hope to pass on to my children early on so they won't have to take the same steps to get where I am. I guess this is just a rant from the "heart".

Saber2

8/14

8/13 WOD

This was intense. I need to start working on those press to HS rather than press to HeS. I am not sure what is holding me back if its shoulder strength or leverage where my feet are starting out. I am happy about the performance of my HS wall runs because I used to be afraid of them and eating the ground when I bring one hand up. Now I am not exactly flat against the wall that will come in time, as of now I am eliminating that mental barrier (the fear) and can now begin to improve working time.

Saber2

8/15

25 min Jump roping

5 min warm up

15 min constant runing pace

5 min cool down

Just a good way to get the heart pumping. Nothing strenuous at all but just enough to get the metabolism running for the day

Tonight

Soccer game.

Saber2

8/16

WOD

Butal, this was just kicking a man when he is down already. Muscles were still tired from the weekend, and yesterday was not a full recovery day. At least that is the beauty of scaling things down as neccessary. I do get frustrated that I could not do everything as prescribed but then again with progress being my goal, I occasionally will have to back off every once in a while. Today was one of those days.

Tomorrow if the sun is out, I think I might go for a nice 30 min run or so followed by some individual training drills. Again this is just an idea. I am thinking this week might be a good weak for backing off a little. Hopefully it will be one step back two steps forward.

Saber2

8/17

30 mins of Cardio

5 min warm up

20 min comfortable running pace

5 min cool down

Today felt good. I used a HR Monitor to make sure I did not exert myself too much. My heart went up to 145 for tops which is good considering my goals. It would have been nice if it had stayed lower but the overall exertion was not bad at all. I kept at a comfortable pace that I could carry a conversation if need be. I feel recharged after that workout which is good because I normally do feel that after all my workouts exept the weekend and yesterday. Does this mean I can get back into the swing of things? Hopefully because reading today's WOD, I am itching to attempt it tomorrow. Again that will be determined how the remainder of the day goes and if I wake up fine. On another side note I did get a good night sleep last night, whereas the previous nights I have been restless, constantly waking up because I would get annoyed how uncomfortable I felt. The only thing now is I think I have a little stomach bug, but today feels better than yesterday. Anyway, I just want to get back into the WOD especially for tomorrow.

Saber2

8/18

8/17 WOD

This was a good workout. The shoulder stands were a little intimidating considering I am doing them over a concrete floor. Its more a matter of getting over the fear than anything else. Overall it was a great workout, I am looking forward to the next one. Again I feel energized when I am done rather than tired, so I think those two back off days helped a bit.

Saber2

8/19

Cardio

5 min warm up

5 sets of shuttle sprints (1 set = 10 yards and back , 50 yards and back , 100 yards and back , 50 yards and back, 10 yards and back) followed by 2 min jog (active recovery)

5 min cool down run which involved running up and down the bleachers

Lunge walks 50 yard 17 lunges per leg

60s Squat Hold

14s L Hang

Awesome workout!!!! Feel exhausted and rejuvenated at the same time.

Saber2

8/20

8/19 WOD

I thought this was a good workout.

Saber2

8/21

8/20 WOD

Another great workout! This was short but not sweet at all. My back is feeling tired and appropriately worked for today. Only 2 more games in soccer, so the season is sadly coming to an end. But at least there is a winter session around the corner :D