8/22
Had a soccer game last night. We won but unfortuantely I sprained my ankle so today will be a day of licking my wounds.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Saber2, March 19, 2010 · 171 Replies · 11,094 Views
8/22
Had a soccer game last night. We won but unfortuantely I sprained my ankle so today will be a day of licking my wounds.
8/24
This felt good. I probably didn't do it as prescribed but being inverted is one of the things I need to do more of. I am really struggling with the Presses to HS. I can press to HeS with little effort but I have no means of progression to get to the HS that I can think of.
I am not sure If I will run tomorrow but I might do a leg day with deck squats and other leg based workouts. I might do it for time instead of for reps. I want it to be a cardio/strength day. I feel this could help develop my speed a little more. Also it will test the endurance of the muscle which can help maintain speed.
8/25
Today I did
5 min of Jump Roping
3 Rounds of:
1 minute Jumping Deck Squats
1 minute Killers
No set rest, just keep going
This felt good. The jumping deck squats are easier for me to do indoors vs outdoors. I need to use my hands for support outside. All in all quick and deadly workout. If I need to scale this add dumbells or a sandbag to the killers and your legs will be fried. But in all honesty the minute long drills to suck the energy out of you.
8/26
This did not help that I did legs yesterday too. I am so tired and exhausted right now. Hopefully no more leg work untill Sunday's game. There might be some jump roping for time but that is more endurance than speed/strength development of the legs.
8/27
Good effective workout. Had a small victory in my quest for the MU (Its mentioned in my WOD post)
On another note just got my score back from the 3rd CPA exam.....Passed!!! So 3 down, 1 to go!!! Great way to begin the weekend.
Congrats on the CPA exam. I believe that's the equivalent to the CA I'm trying to get here in Canada, am I right?
RandomHavoc said:Congrats on the CPA exam. I believe that's the equivalent to the CA I'm trying to get here in Canada, am I right?
Yeah, I am so stoked because the two hard ones are out of the way. I am trying to finish it all this year because next year they are throwing IFRS into the mix. That is a topic I have not learned through schooling so I am really trying to finish to avoid that. Then again I think the IFRS will come full circle and be like GAAP again, only because GAAP started off as principle based too and now all the rules got thrown on afterward because people interpreted the principles differently. I wish you good luck in your CA. If the testing is as brutal as the CPA exams, I feel for you.
Anyway today's workout
25 min jump roping
5 min warm up
10 rounds of 1 min hard pace, 30s easy pace
5 min cool down
10 XR pullups
New Excercise to help with HS wall runs. They are more like intervals in a wierd way. You start on the wall in a handstand and you move from one side to the other and back. This doesn't require you to tap your shoulders like the wall runs but you could to add to the difficulty. I got this idea from watching a few parkour training videos, it seems like a staple in their workout. I figure this would help me for my weakness in HS wall runs. If you are weak in the shoulders where you can't do it on your hands start off doing them with feet on the wall like and elevated pushup position. As it becomes easier move your feet up on the wall to make it more challenging.
Something tells me it is.
My classes have been 50% GAAP, 50% IFRS so far. I know canadian GAAP is substantially converged with IFRS, but you will have differences. Quite honestly, I think you can take a 10 hour seminar and plow through IFRS whenever you wish to do so. I know that at my firm, revenues have been up greatly in the last fiscal year due to clients adapting to the change. The really hard stuff that you probably can't learn in a day is specifically goodwill and consolidations.
8/31
Cardio
Today was a lazy day, was going to run but opted out and instead did some jump roping
5 min Warm up
10 rounds of 30s high 1min low intensity
This didn't interest me too much so I decided to do interval runs with a soccer ball to help work on control.
10 rounds
1 min runs 30 sec rest
5 min cool down.
I actually like the approach of training with the soccer ball while doing my intervals. Like coach says to look like a gymnast you must train like one. In order to improve in soccer you must practice like a soccer player. I feel this is a great workout because it not only works on cardio conditioning but also skill development.
9/1
9/2
Cardio
5 min jump rope to warm up
10 rounds of 1 min shuttle runs with soccer ball, 30 second lateral jumps
5 min slalom dribbling with soccer ball
Fun and tough. I need to improve my ball handling and speed when I have the ball.
9/3
I did the 9/2 WOD
9/4 relaxed
9/5
Did 5 100m sprints with a partner and speed harness. Nothing too strenuous but after each sprint I felt like yacking. Each sprint was followed by a 300m walk.
9/6
Notes: I am enjoying the new spin I have on my cardio/leg days. I am driven towards an element of running for soccer, whether it be for speed, change of direction, enduracne, or power. I am no longer running to run for general fitness, I am mindful of my target during that session. I feel the endurance aspect might be what I focus on during the cold months of winter because I can't use the track or practice with the ball at the park if its covered in snow. I must say I have been enjoying all the WOD's they are so challenging even when scaled. After each workout I feel energized and stronger than when I went in to the workout. That feels weird because I was always used to feeling fatigued. I guess I have been training wrong for a big portion of my life. I am glad that has changed. Anyways, I hope others who are reading this have a similar experience in their workouts.
9/7 Cardio/Legs
5 min Jump roping
10 rounds of 1 min shuttle sprints 30s rest
5 rounds of running stairs with 40lb vest 1 min work, 30s rest
5 rounds of Farmers Walks with 125lb sandbag ~1min work rounds 30s rest
5 min jump roping
Finished with 3x5 Hamstring curls on the injured leg.
The Farmer Walks were brutal!! I just felt like I needed to do a GPP cardio day more than anything else. After the workout I was reading a little bit of Never Gymless. This a book was my beginning to my new style of training. I go back to it for motivation every now and again. It has some really inspiring passages. Its all about low budget high yield training styles.
9/9
Im putting my birthday candles with sweat!!!
As I approached today's cardio I had no idea what I was going to do. Part of me wanted to do sled dragging again but I have yet to modify the weight sled. I need to get an eyebolt and cut some wood. Also today was not looking so hot outside so I took the workout indoors on my parents treadmill. This was one of the best/toughest cardio workouts I did in a long time!!
5 min Jump roping to warm up
2 miles of running:
1/4 mile at the steepest incline (15%) at a moderate pace (10min miles)
1/4 mile flat at a faster pace
Repeat
5 Min jump roping to cool down
The workout was so effective that my abs were killing me during the 5 min jump rope. Ideally I wanted to go for 5 rounds but I had to walk a little bit on the 4th incline round. I sprinted out the last 100m on that round to make up for it. I am not sure if my pace is impressive or not, and I know the distance is nothing but this had me panting. If my sweat were blood it would have looked like a murder scene lol.
9/10
Good workout. The warm-ups felt good, and didn't take too much time or energy away from the WOD.
9/13 I skipped because I saw it was a leg day and I have my own approach to leg days to help improve for soccer.
9/14 I was strongly considering doing the endurance drill again with the treadmill, but today is so nice I had to go out. I am thankful I did. My workout is as follows:
5 min Jump roping to warm up
4x Sled sprints 45-50 yards w/200 pounds (my bodyweight is 185) (2 min rest between sets)
4x5 stair climbs with 80lb bag (2 min rest for first two sets followed by 1 min rest for last two sets)
5 min jump roping
50 pushups
50 four count flutter kicks.
Carrying the sandbags from the car to the field and back again at the end was also tiring. More so at the end of the workout. The sled sprints were brutal. The last set I pretty much was crawling because I could no longer run. So I figure I would end at that set. The stair climbs were more of a finisher for the field portion of the workout.
Notes to training: I skipped my normal saturday workout. giving myself 5 days of work and 2 of rest even though I play soccer on Sunday. I am not sure if this will become a norm, because saturday I was usually doing friday's WOD. However if this does become the norm. I will alternate workouts between upper body and lower body routines (ie one week 3 lower body/leg, 2 upper body days, the next week will be 3 upper body days and two lower days) For the upper body days I will continue to follow the WOD and for the lower body days it will be a mix of my leg routine and coaches WOD involving legs. I think this split from following the WOD is necessary because I have different goals I want to achieve and the time I would like to achieve them by.
9/15
9/16
I love high intensity interval training. Because with it there is more than one way to accomplish similar goals.
Today I did the treadmill routine but changed up the second mile.
5 min Jump roping
2x 1/4 mile hill runs (Steepest incline, each one was followed by 1/4 mile flat run at a faster pace) = 1mile
100m Hill sprints followed by 100m hill walks repeat for the next mile.
5 min Jump roping
50 pushups
50 4 count flutter kicks (I hated these in the Army, but now they're not so bad. Probably because I am not wearing five pound boots either lol)
I was so tired after the first mile, there was no safe way to do the second mile in a similar fashion because I refused to drop the speed and continue on. So then I thought maybe short bursts followed by walks all on an incline would result in a similar work load. I got a serious challenge out of this and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Next week I will be away from my equipment, and might go back to doing some Rosstraining type drills. I have my heart set on one workout already
1 min Jump Roping
1 min Burpees
1 min Mountain Climbers
1 min Jumping Jacks
1 min BW Squats
Repeat 2 more times :twisted:
9/17
10/20
Jump roping
5min warm up
1 min heavy
30s rest
repeat 10 times
5 min cool down
50 4-count flutter kicks
10/25
10 min workout. Got this one right out of Ross' book Never Gymless. Figure I have to pick up the cardio portion of my workouts and I like the anamilistic nature behind Ross' training style and also doesn't require much time which works well for me right now. So I will be incorporating that and probably work on Gymnastics for my strength days.
1x60s, 1x45s 1x30s 1x15s: (Doing all the excercises counts as 1 set)
Burpees
BW Rows
Squats
pushups
cool down 5 min jump roping
So I know I haven't been posting for a while now. Nonetheless the excercises are getting done. However with the level of inactivity required for my job I had to increase the cardio portion of my workouts. I switched back to the rosstrainning style of workouts and have been throwing in gymnastic holds and excercises when I can. The results have been good, I now leave my workouts with a bucket of sweat pouring off of me and a heartbeat that sounds like a machine gun with a supressor on it ![]()
Today workout consisted of
10 burpees
10 chinnies (bicycle kicks or whatever you want to call them)
10 BW Squats
10 pushups
As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes.
Didn't think of this untill last minute but I should have substituted Pseudo Planche Pushups for the regular pushups. You could also get away with trying to do One legged squats but since time is of importance I opted out of that. Anyway hope everybody who reads this has been doing well. I apologize for my absence but I am sure you can relate.