This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Saber2 Workout Log & Comments

Started by Saber2, March 19, 2010 · 171 Replies · 11,094 Views

Saber2

6/23/2010

Thanks for the input slizzardman. Today I started with holds but just couldn't hang with it. So I switched to a more basic strength workout.

3x10s tuck planche 1x20s frog stand

4x12s bl tuck

4x5 sls w/ med ball

1x10 bw dips 3x5 bw+25lb dips

1x10 hll 1x5 hll + 5lb 2x5 standing rollouts

4x5 OAPushups

4x5 inverted pullups

All in all not bad. My statics felt like a plateau is coming so I need to change it up. So I figure reverting to my NG manual will help for coming up with other excercises. I will try the WOD as per slizzardmans recommendation.

Saber2

6/24/2010

Speed Play

3 Miles of Telephone Pole Sprints (Sprint between two jog between two)

This actually felt easy. I am enjoying the running a lot. I am gonna focus more on speed because I plan to get back into soccer with a bunch of friends who are in a league. I haven't played in a while but I figure running 90 minutes in a sport will be great cardio, considering its at variable speeds. So I figure my work should emulate such demands.

Saber2

6/25/2010

WOD

3x Ring Series 1 (instead of 2) with two 5s Flat tuck BL and FL. Also the MU was a jumping one. I figure if ring series are more frequent than not I will atleast get my share of MU in and hopefully improve on those

5x15s Inverted Hang

1x7s 2x10s 2x12s German Hangs (Hands kept slipping, by the last set I was holding on by my finger tips only)

5x15s Support Holds (I am hoping this means just locked arms in the top of the dip position because that is what I did)

I also did the finisher, just cant remember the name. Its where you sit against the wall and lift your arms while having the forearm maintain contact with the wall.

All I can say is thank you slizzardman for the recommendation, sometimes I forget what assets lie here on this board. Now I just need to find a proper warm up.

Saber2

6/26/2010

Running

8 mile run today. Pretty much same as last week. This running stuff is getting better. Good thing about today is no blisters. Usually I get blisters, that pop mid run, they never hurt but the skin that folds over annoys me. I have been putting lotion or body glide on before I run. That seems to be doing the trick for me. I laugh when I run because I realize this is one of my addictions. I am a square on Friday nights because I wake up early for my run. Well its better to be addicted to something that benefits my health rather than hinders it. Watch now that I said that I will start suffering from all sorts of running related ailments :lol: good ole Murphy's Law.

Enjoy the weekend.

Saber2

6/28/2010

Performed the WOD for today.

The Statics were the tuck variation and the HSPU were HeSPU. Before for all my back and front lever work, I was using the pullup bar now I am using my rings. Rolling out of the BL was a struggle by the 3rd set. Didn't realize how much of a difference the rings make.

Saber2

6/29/2010

19 100Yrd Sprints. I jogged the shorts for 16 out of the 19 sprints then walked the shorts for the other 3. I normally do these with my father so I walked and waited for him so I can push him that extra inch or in this case 100yds :D. I have to give my old man credit he is starting to get the twisted mindset and enjoy the suckiness of running :twisted: He says he hears me inside his head pushing him, I tell him thats his own conscious but if takes my voice that's ok too.

This past weekend for my diet has been a shit show to say the least. I had a birthday party cook out on Friday, wedding on Saturday, and a chirstening on Sunday. However I did not tip the scale too far over my normal weight but I know I ate shitty. Other than that, I am loving my work routines. I have been feeling great after each day, so that means I am doing something right.

Saber2

6/30/2010

Scaled Down 6/29/2010 WOD

4 rounds of

20' Ag Walks (Could not get my arms off the ground for the L Sit :cry: )

5 Russian Dips on Rings ( More like partial dips because I don't think I went down all the way)

10 Ring Dips

15 Tricep Extensions (Unable to perform Swinging Dips)

Each excercise was performed one after the other, however I don't think I allowed the appropriate amount of rest.

2x10 Wrist Pushups

Again this was brutal. It taught me two things today.

1) I am not nearly in the shape that I thought I was.

2) My old routine was not as developed as it should be. There were several areas I was lacking in.

I am looking forward to the progressions I will achieve through following Coach Sommers WOD's. I feel my past workouts was like trying to cut a path through the jungle when 2 feet away there was a perfectly paved road to use. :D

Saber2

7/1/2010

Another Running Day

Just ran at a moderate pace around a local resevoir. This was relaxing. Looking forward to tomorrow's WOD

Saber2

7/2/2010

Change of Plans,

Today I was going to do the WOD but my dad is taking my mom running, so I am going with them. The workout will probably be similar to what I did on Tuesday, which was the sprint intervals. Tomorrow I will try to attempt today's WOD.

8 x1/4 mile intervals followed by 5x 100m sprints.

Saber2

7/3/2010

7/2 WOD

This was exhausting. I am not gonna repeat what I wrote because it is posted under the WOD.

Today I am just gonna list my weakest links that I feel are affecting me. Again, I know not everything develops at the same time but still I am sure it annoys everybody else like it annoys me.

Weakest links/ Hardest excercises for me

Shoulders (HS and PL are probably hurting because of this weakness)

Muscle Ups (The rotation kills me)

Body Levers and most straight body work. Like the one where you support yourself from a pole and extend yourself horizontal.

GHR are tough as hell but this is the last on the list because I feel I have made improvements with them

I will conquer these weak links and make these my strengths. :twisted:

Saber2

7/5/2010

For starters I hope everybody had a good fourth of July. I had a good time but unfortunately broke a toe playing a game of soccer. Not even a real game just dribbling around. I haven't gone to the doctor to confirm and nor will I. They aren't going to do anything for it, good news is toes aren't that hard to heal on there own. I will not be performing todays WOD but will go back to an old workout I used to do:

2x50 pushups

2x50 situps

I am bummed because I won't be able to run for a week or so. Oh well, that's life

Joshua Naterman

Just skip the shuttle run and do the WOD. If you throw in a WOD here and there you're going to get very little out of it. Stick to the WODs for 8 weeks and see what happens, and then stick with them for the rest of the year. You will get continued good results. You do what you can, and if your toe is borked(sic) then you'll just skip whatever hurts it for 6 weeks.

Saber2

For the amount of swelling that occurred on Sunday and yesterday I was sure I suffered a compression fracture. However today I am feeling only slight discomfort so I am assuming it just might have been only a contusion. I will hold of running this week, and hopefully get back on it next week.

Today I did yesterdays WOD minus the shuttle runs. Slizzardman, I only did "Old Faithful" because I didn't have access to my BTGB book to know what TOPs pulls were. I have every intention to stick to the WOD's as best as I can for two reasons. One is they challenge me in certain skills that I would have neglected if left to my own training scheme. Two is they make me realize how weak I truly am, which is a motivator to me. Also like this workout the exercises individually may be somewhat challenging, but the entirety of the workout is very challenging.

Today Workout

4 rounds

3 Front Pulls

5 TOPs Pulls

10 FL Pulls

1x25 Ab twists with medium band

2x2min 30lb KB Swings (I figure this would make up for the running I skipped today, as well as not being able to do the shuttle runs)

These pulling exercises together kicked my butt. I am surprised how difficult this task turned out to be considering I feel comfortable with my pulling capabilities. Just shined light on a new weakness lol.

On another note, I am thankful these holidays are coming to an end. I have ate crap way too often, so I need to tighten up in that area, but on a positive, I am trying to be more active in general when I am not studying for the CPA exam.

Joshua Naterman

Great! Yea, the book is pretty important lol! Good thing you have it!

Good luck on your CPA exam!

Saber2

This is a repeat post of what I put in WOD

I did 7/6 WOD today

Not exactly as listed because my rings are suspended from a door pullup bar so height is a factor. I really want to build something for outside but I think my parents would be against having two 10' poles in the back yard. I sure hope when I get a house it has vaulted ceilings

Anyway the workout went like this

3 MU (First two sets was where my feet were touching the ground like in Blairbob's video, I fully pressed after transition. The last set I followed coaches advice with the False grip pullups and the "russian dips" on rings)

Followed by XR L-sit for 10 seconds

Followed by FL and BL for the appropriate time.

Then I went to do Press to HeS. Attempted the shoulderstand but had no luck, I figure this was the appropriate substitution.

Then I did back to back

5x15s Inverted Hang

5x15 Support Hold

Lastly I did the German Hangs...Times were awful 10, 10, 7, 14 (Discomfort is what stopped me)

I played around with the MU some more because I am really pissed I cannot do these. I attempted to try them with bands (again thanks for the idea blairbob) and failed. I keep getting stuck at that damn transition. Then I was trying to do negatives from the bottom of the dip and I either moved an inch or flopped down when I got too far. The only reason I am upset with this move is because I have been trying to accomplish it for some time now. I first heard of this through rosstraining and his books, and I was doing that for a year or two before joining here. I guess I need to GTG on this move. I think that is the only way I will nail this down.

I must say I do love the gymnastic training regime. It has been an eye opener to me and shows where I lack strength. However on the other hand it is just down right fun. I feel like a kid on a playground.

Saber2

7/8/2010

Performed WOD

Holds for BL and FL were done in the adv tuck. I am struggling again with the FL because I am concentrating on performing them on rings. I found the bar to be easier than the rings to do more advance holds. :? Overall this was an awesome workout! My bridge walks have improved because now I can almost touch the floor and I don't feel my feet are walking out too far!!! This was a great workout to give that boost of confidence I need every once in awhile.

Saber2

Performed todays WOD 7/9/2010

This was a great workout.

Today I was thinking for those interested in aquiring a home gym, I highly recommend you shell out some cash for some quality bands. I said bands and not tubes because I think the bands are more versitile than the tubes. For example todays WOD required sled sprints, I don't have a sled nor the necessary weight. I could have used my bands to simulate the sled run and accomplished the same facts. Today however I used my father and a speed harness I had bought when I used to kickbox. The bands are really good to for progressions and assistance in some excercises, while adding resistance for others. I know I am not saying anything new but I strongly recommend them.

My list for workout gear for homegym builders would be:

Rings

Bands

Weight Vest

The rest you can build (i.e. Sandbags, Medballs etc; hell you can even build your own dumbells that could hold more weight than traditional ones)

Saber2

Yesterday I performed the 7/12 WOD

Today was not planning to workout or run because of the test but I figure treating the body is also treating the mind. I am hoping that theory holds true.

10x100m sprints

Side steps and backwards running in the bends of the track.

50m Lunge walks.

25-30m Squat jumps.

The sad part is yesterday was legs too, but I figure since today was short on time for running I would fry my legs again. However, since it is a large muscle it also seems to recover fairly quickly for me.

Now back to last minute studying..... :|

Saber2

7/14

Failure--- Did not do the WOD as scheduled but made up for it later that evening by playing a pick up game of soccer, my legs are so exhausted.

7/15

Performed todays WOD and again failure.

I feel I am slacking off and not exactly sure why, maybe I need a back down week or something. I was not happy with the form on my HeSPU. I really struggled here. I have been doing running on Tu Th & Sat but I think I am gonna change things up a bit. I am starting up in soccer league with some friends that takes place on a Sunday, and also with another group on Wednesday. So I might just start the WOD routine as layed out Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri. I might also do a morning run/speed training session on Wednesday and play soccer that night. I am sure I will get burned out quick but I am really enjoying just being overall active. My body is not right (meaning overtrained, tired, etc) but my mind is, so I am not sure which one is better to have. Any opinions? I am all ears.

Joshua Naterman

As long as you aren't pushing TOO far over the line, your body will eventually catch up. You need to make sure you're eating as much good food as possible! Food, especially quality protein and vegetables, will go a LOOOONG way towards makingyou feel better. Try to eat the entire rainbow each week. Some yellow veggies, green,blue(may need to eat berries for that), purple, orange, red. That'll keep you from getting bored and also do a good job of making sure you get the phytonutrients, phytochemicals, and vitamins/minerals that you need.

Saber2

Slizzardman. I think this week I might have gone over the edge due to the volume of leg training for the week. I performed Monday's WOD and then did sprints on Tuesday followed by lunges and jumping squats that fried my legs. Wednesday I played soccer and realized that the sprints I was doing did not prepare for the brutality of the actual game. Today, I am feeling better as performance improved on certain excercises. I am now able to perform an assisted MU with a band on one leg. Last attempt at this was a failure. I am sure my diet is also the culprit because for some reason I can't seem to tighten up the quality of my foods. My protein consumption has dropped, because before I used to have natural peanut butter and banana smoothie in the morning. Dinner normally consists of a meat but lunch is variable. I am wondering if the decline is the result of my increase hunger?

Today Performed WOD 7/16/2010

3 sets of 3 tick tocks, 3 Mu, 3 Kick up to shoulder stand

5x15s Inverted hang

5x15 XR Support Hang

4x10-12s German Hang

1x20 HS

Finished with kneeling toe stretch.

I did all the holds back to back to increase work volume. I switched the last German Hang with a HS because I wanted to attempt a free standing HS. I felt the microadjustments in the inverted hang and I was hoping that would carry over to the HS.

The finisher required Wall extensions, but I felt I needed to stretch out my shins and feet. Every time I rotate my foot up from the ankle it hurts (soreness). I figure a good stretch might help out. Overall good workout

Joshua Naterman

Almost certainly due to your hunger. Try Grace brand coconut milk. It's about 1000 calories per can, and a can costs around $1.50 at the store. This, all by itself, split evenly over a day or two will help you get high quality fats into your diet and it will taste great! Make your banana smoothie with it instead of the peanut butter. You'll find that you stay energized for hours! I'd throw some protein in that smoothie too, personally.

If you don't feed yourself your performance will suck. Period.

Saber2

7/19/2010

Injured knee :evil:

Played soccer last night and one tackle shocked the knee pretty bad. I am bed ridden today with lots of baths and ice sessions. Last night I had full mobility of the knee this morning it is setting in. I may attempt a few things from the WOD through out the day just because I HATE SITTING STILL OR NOT EXCERCISING!!!!!

Saber2

Today I tried to attempt yesterday's WOD with no luck. I got the first excercise done but the Tuck Holds were very tough because of knee stress. So I tried to work some moblity moves to promote the knee. The pain only comes with movement so my ideology is rest for a little while and GTG the movement. I am doing BW Squats using the rings for support and lunges as well. I am not one to sit and lick my wounds, I believe in active recovery whenever I can.

Saber2

Again more knee rehab in the morning followed by icing. I have a game tonight, will take it easy so wish me luck.

Rehab:

20m Runs: Forward, sideways, and backwards

Side steps on stairs.

Squat holds

Lunges

Knee flexing

Balance board work

Tomorrow I hope to be able to do the WOD without delay, anything with running I will probably subsitute with something else.