This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100709

Started by Coach Sommer, July 9, 2010 · 10 Replies · 2,184 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete four rounds:

10 Jumping Deck Squats

5 Depth Jumps

20m sled/tire sprint

Finish the workout with 2x60 seconds of Seated Toe Point Stretch.

notes:

1) Move immediately from the Jumping Deck Squats to the Depth Jumps to the Sled/Tire sprints.

2) Depth Jumps - jump off an object 3’-10’ high, bending the knees but not allowing the feet to move or step upon landing. If in doubt go lower rather than higher and remember to BEND the knees upon landing!

3) Only add sufficient weight to the sled/tire sprints to make the sprint challenging; not so heavy that running is no longer possible.

4) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting or have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap.

5) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

6) Do Not skip the Seated Toe Point Stretch.

Saber2

Did this as prescribed. The jumping deck squats were harder than I thought, at times I would either be jumping backwards or I would have to use my hands to get to jump.

Depth Jumps were also "Jumping Deck Squats" I litterally was jumping off the rails of my deck hahahaha. Coach if this comes up in the winter I doubt I will be doing these. Do you have any good ideas of subsititutions, because I can't think of any. Also I am sure this will help me for skiing since I love hitting the jumps.

The sled, was my father. I had bought a speed harness way back when that requires another person to hold it. That harness is one of those toys I never think of but today I am glad I got it. I sometimes will hook up bands to a post and run too.

The toe stretch at the end I am not sure if I did right, I did not feel this stretch in the shin areas but rather seemed to be a nasty cramp on the toe when the 60s passed.

Neal Winkler

Same problem here. When winter comes I cannot do any sprinting.

Saber2

I just wrote on my log how I love my bands I have. Just tie it around a firm railing and run for time this could simulate the sprints.

Kenneth Manning

Was lacking some equipment for this one:

-don't have a harness/strap to drag anything with

-believe it or not, couldn't find a good place with an appropriate height to do depth jumps (need to build some boxes)

So.... I just did a leg-centric workout with a bit of strength emphasis and a bit of conditioning

4 rounds (1.5 min rest between each)

A1) 95 lb barbell thrusters x 10

A2) BW squat jumps x 5

A3) 55 lb DB swings x 15

finished with 2 x 60 sec seated toe pointed stretch (not entirely sure I did these correctly, but gave it a go)

Side note: does anyone else here find getting to their feet in deck squats to be incredibly difficult?? Not sure what I'm doing wrong, if anything, but when I rock back and then reverse I can't seem to get enough momentum to actually propel myself onto my feet. More like a sit --> roll back with legs tucked --> reverse and rock strongly forward ---> THUD.

Saber2

Killroy,

I had the same problem. I ended up using my hands for a little extra push forward that would get the weight over my feet. I then would do less and less until I could do it without. However I started getting exhausted and had to revert back to the hands. I definitely would build a few boxes. Make one three feet, which could act as a good plyobox and the other 5 feet for depth jumps. That would be a sick workout in and of itself. Plyo jump to the 3 foot box than jump to the 5 foot box and end with a depth jump and repeat. Great now I want to go build some boxes too :mrgreen:

Alexander Moreen

Killroy, practice doing a situp where you stand up at the end(and then squat back down all the way to the ground and roll back into a situp). I bet whats happening is you dont have enough hip flexibility to keep you feet close enough to your butt or to do deep enough squats.

Josh Schmitter

Just finished this one up. Felt good in this heat too(PA area):).

The deck squats I also hit or miss on saber and killroy. I tend to hit about 2/3's of mine, using a hand or 2 for the other 1/3. What seems to help me is pushing/reaching my arms out hard and fast as well as really focusing on contracting the abs for an explosive push.

Did the depth jumps from the back of my car as I had never done these before. That felt fine so I moved to the roof for the last 2 sets. (car works great if you are in need of 'boxes' and don't care much about some scuffs and scratches)

I was thinking all day about how to do the sled sprints and I finally got something together. I was going to go down the block and do hill sprints on a super steep hill until I realized how short 20 meters is, my backyard being probably around 30 and change it worked out perfectly. Got 2 old backpacks together, 1 empty on my back, the other with a big rock(I don't know how heavy, but I had trouble lifting it) that just fit in with the zipper closed. Tied these together with some old hose(glad I keep tons of 'useless' stuff) and I was good to go.

Seated Toe Point I'm in the same boat, not knowing if I did these properly. I didn't feel anything in the ankle, a little in the toes, but mostly in my quads from all the leg work just completed. Cushions were giving me problems too as my toes kept sliding off after about 20-30 seconds. Any other suggestions on what to do this on?

trianglechoke7 said:
Same problem here. When winter comes I cannot do any sprinting.

Running in the snow is crazy hard, and fun in that good ol' stoic way...if it's not both of these, repeat until it is

Alvaro

Today just basic rehab for my knee. some light squats, good mornings and leg curl. Also some light running

Blairbob

More than likely you are not using proper efficiency of the rocking motion of the deck squat. Some people try to sit up too quickly.

You want to extend your momentum forward.

I prefer to do deck squats in a straight body position as you roll back. That means extended like a body lever/candlestick.

Rock your toes to the ceiling (try not to pike hips) and then let it come down and sit up at the last possible second going from a straight body position to tucked position. Longer body becomes shorter.

QoWVEVcPV9I

http://crossfitsedona.com/Videos/InvertedBurpees.mov

Kenneth Manning

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, going to give some of those ideas a try. Blairbob, the video was great, will try implementing that technique and see how it goes. I have no problem squatting all the way down so I don't "think" its a flexibility issue, but who knows.