This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Saber2 Workout Log & Comments

Started by Saber2, March 19, 2010 · 171 Replies · 11,094 Views

Saber2

5/27

1x20 min Run. I do this at the local resevoir which tends to kick my butt. Next week I will be doing 2x15min Run. I want to build up to 3x20 so then most of my running days will be an hour or so.

I truly enjoy the running aspect, I am not one of those people who can wear headphones while running I love hearing my surroundings as well as my own rythm. I find peace in that. Anyway come this winter I hope to keep it up. Usually I stop or make excuses of it being too cold, so this summer I plan on picking up some cold weather gear so I can excuse-proof myself. The only thing that sucks for this week is I don't think I will be doing my long run in because my test is Saturday. Oh well, we all need breaks at times I rather it be from a test than sickness.

Saber2

5/28/2010

Feeling Stronger

4x12s Frog Stands with an emphasis on getting my knees off the elbows. (I cant seem to lock my elbows with my knees on them, I am not sure if I want to because a few weeks back I had elbow pain from attempting it. Once I get more comfortable where the knees have little pressure on the arms I will work to straighten the arms)

4x15s BL with a loose tuck.

4x5 HeSPU (two sets were four followed immediately by another rep) This felt amazing. I am happy about this because today I chased the number. Now to work on building all sets up to 5 constantly. I hope to get up to 4x10 before I add weight

4x5 SLS with Med Ball. (Form is sloppy on the upper half but legs are torched which is good)

^^^^I think this is a killer bodyweigh superset!!!

2x15s, 2x12s FL My right side lat started to feel iffy after the second set so I scaled down the last two sets

4x12s L sits

3x6,1x4 Dips

3x5 Pullups with 25lbs Was gonna do a fourth but opted out.

Monday I might throw a more dynamic approach to the workout because I feel some muscles are being neglected. I will try to do PPP instead of frog stands, Rows instead of BL, Pike Presses instead of HeSPU, GHR (need to do some glute work), Ab work, etc. Overall I am liking the full body split, because I am noticing progress, more than likely due to the increased work capacity.

Saber2

5/29/2010

I didn't do my LSD run but I got in 20 minutes of Jump Roping. Only took natural rests ie when I messed up the ryhthm and wacked my toes. Got the CPA exam today so I am excited to get the second one under my belt, but next week I start studying for the 3rd one I take in July.

Comments on training:

So far I am loving the 6 days a week cycle. The running/cardio are probably my favorite days, at least thats how I feel after the run. I think my body is responding favorably to the lifting days because I am not overly sore. I come out of the exercise days feeling better and stronger than when I went in, so I think that is a HUGE PLUS. I think one reason is before I work out I have a yogurt and/or a banana. Before I used to workout on an empty stomach when I first woke up.

Comments on Dieting:

I have not followed a true diet but I try to be conscience of what I am eating. I still have the occasional junk food, because my 97 yr old Grandma always insist I have some. She is too sweet to say no to but I try most of the time :) I have been consuming more water because summer is approaching. I don't know how I did it in Afghanistan but I was able to stay "cool" while wearing long sleeve shirts and pants, I believe it was the amount of water we consumed and just finding shade. Other than that I try to eat several small snacks (banana, nuts, etc) and one regular meal. I feel I have also cut down on my drinking. Before I always used to drink 5-6 drinks when I go out with friends, but now I even cut back on that. (seldomly do I drink alone, unless its a long day then I have a single jack on the rocks).

Other than that gonna enjoy memorial weekend after this damn test. :)

Saber2

5/31/2010

Back Off Day

Today I did everything for 3x10 unless noted otherwise. nothing heavy or maximal.

Suspended PPP

Pullups

Ring Flies

3x50 situps

BW Rows (feet supported)

3x30s Planks Elbows out in front instead of under (last set was with feet elevated)

Pike Presses (Full ROM)

Glute presses on Stairs

This was enjoyable and relaxing. I probably could have done more but I am just maintaining today not doing anything extraordinary. So I saw Prince of Persia last night, all in all not a bad movie considering it is based on a video game. I would put it up there with Clash of the Titans for enjoyment, and I did like Clash of the Titans. I must say the movie could have used more free running but I am just a critic. As for the test on Saturday I think I did well (knocking on wood) because I was able to finish in time. The last part I took I came out feeling miserable and passed so I am hoping the opposite is NOT true for this part. I am looking forward to the run tomorrow because I think I am gonna start going for 1/4 mile intervals instead of 100m sprints. I would like to get my time down because I am not sure if I will do it this year or next but I would love to try to do the tough mudder obstacle course/race.

Saber2

6/1/2010

Intervals

Today I changed it up. The idea of my running is to improve my speed for distances so I need to train that way. I started running 1/4 mile intervals. Today I did 8 laps, not becuase that was my goal, but I was waiting for my father to finish his 100m sprints. Nonetheless it felt good. Best time was 1:20 worse time 1:40 averaged around 1:34. This was not bad considering I wanted to maintain a 1:40 pace overall. I wanted my mile to be around 7:00. So mission accomplished.

Saber2

6/2/2010

Back On

4x15s Frog Tucks with emphasis on minimizing contact

4x15s BL Tuck

4x15s FL Tuck (not consistent between adv tuck and tuck)

4x10s Ring L sits

4x5 HeSPU (My legs kept falling so I had to finish each set)

4x6 Ring Dips

4x5 FL Tuck Rows (Not sure if back is parallel with floor)

No legs today because I trained at home where equipment is limited, usually I train at my parents where I have more stuff which leads me to my month long agenda:

-Build Parallettes

-Build another Med Ball

-Buy more straps for my rings. (Currently my rings are looped over a few 2"x4"s so I think that may be an issue in the future. The straps I bought from Lowes that I use at my parents are okay but are flimsy in comparison to the straps that came with my rings. Does anybody have a link to replacement straps? I would like to find one with a cam buckle rather than the the ratchet buckle lashing straps.

Saber2

6/3/2010

Running

2x15min Runs.

My endurance is starting to build up again. I have not done my barefoot running in a while but I do try to maintain a forefoot to midfoot landing while I am in my shoes. I also picked up a pair of adissages to stimulate my feet while maintaining a protective layer for the bottom of my feet.

Yesterday I finally got to go swimming at the pool in my condo. It has been under construction for a couple of years now. It felt good to do a few laps, I forgot how much swimming can knock the wind out of you. Again I can't tell you how good I have been feeling as a result of the new program. I just feel more alive and accomplished durring the workouts.

3:03pm

Just finished building my parallettes. I am looking forward to bringing them home so I can do a full workout at my house.

Saber2

6/4/2010

The usual

4x15s Adv Frog Tucks (I am trying to straigthen my arms but there is just too much pressure exerted from my knees, I tend to hyperextend my elbow which hurt for the rest of the day)

4x15s BL I think next week I might try for halves and cut the time down. I feel this one destroys my core when I attempt it

4x12s L sits

4x15 Tuck FL I am noticing a nagging pain in my right arm near the lat and shoulder when I am in a straight hang.

3x5 HeSPU 1xFall HeS (I failed on set 3) My Handstands need work because I am still assisted using the wall but the contact doesn't feel as heavy as before. If anybody has suggestions to improving this aspect I am all ears.

4x5 SLS with med ball

2x10 PPP 2x5 OAPush up

4x5 Tuck FL Rows

I have not been doing any joint prehab but will look into it because I think I am starting to feel the demand of these exercises. Overall I was not entirely pleased with todays performance but I am looking forward to the next strength day to rectify what went wrong today. I do think I want to start incorporating some dynamic ring days if possible but then again I have not mastered the muscle up either. I do realize I am on a long journey to get where I want to be and that patience is my friend on this path. There has been a turning point for me, because before I was doing these movements for the excercise benefits, now I want to attain the actual skill. I can't do it this year, but I hope next year to attend the seminars if my work schedule and time permit.

Saber2

6/5/2010

What a let down for me.

I woke up at 5:45 morning and went on an amazing run by 6:20, I come home and mapped it for distance it was only a measly 5.55 miles. I was hoping to have banged out 7 or so. Next time I am actually gonna time with a stopwatch for I know exactly how long I ran for. It felt great nonetheless I was just hoping it was further. I was happy because I got to use my new rain jacket today. I have been itching for a rainy day run :D. The jacket is made of breathable material but has no vents. This will be good for downpouring and colder days. Today I had to keep putting it on and taking it off. On another cool note, there is a running club that meets on saturdays at the local mall. The Nike Store is the sponsor. I figure it might be worth my time to talk to trade thoughts with some running experts. Besides accomplishing these gymnastic holds I have every intention in doing one marathon in my lifetime. I plan to do smaller races this summer and possibly the Tough Mudder in New Jersey this year or Boston next year.

Anyway enjoy the rest of the weekend. I know I will 8)

Saber2

6/7/2010

Made up for Friday today.

Great workout today. I am making progressions in my PL work and BL work.

1x50s :cry: HS Stomach to wall (I realize I need to start incorporating the static hold of handstands. I will swap this out with HeSPU every workout)

3x12 Adv Frog (Arms are still bent I cannot straighten them because my knees hyperextend my elbow)

2x10s Tuck PL (My hip are low but I feel this more in my shoulder which I couldn't feel when doing the frogs)

4x12s BL half/straddle. (my legs are spread and my feet are kicked up, have no idea how else to describe it)

4x12 L sits

4x12 FL Flat Tuck (the nagging pain was there then it went away after a few light pulls)

3x3 Jumping MU (With this being one of my goals to accomplish I have not trained it very often)

Finishers

1x50 Regular Pushups with an emphasis on my hands being at nipple height instead of higher

1x20 Pullups (Did these on rock climbing holds so my hands don't give up before my back)

All in all great workout. The BL progression felt good, burned the core but felt good. I am looking forward to the new PL and getting the muscles developed. I did some reading on the site and realized I am no where near where I need to be with my handstands that is why I am going to start implementing the static hold. I can't believe some people can hold it there for 30 minutes. :shock: I hope to get to 10 minutes but anything over that would eventually become its own workout session. I also realize I will not achieve the MU unless I actually start training it. I was hoping by hitting the other muscles will carry over, and I am sure that it does, but the movement cannot be obtained with out doing the movement. Just like anything else you can't get better at it if you don't work at it. I probably should have thrown a plyo-pushup manuever of some kind but I figure the dips on the MU was hitting that area. Next time I want to do a Front Lever Pull Variaton for my dynamic and then do the plyo-pushup.

On another note for aesthetics, I feel I am bulking up in a good way. My weight has been consistent between 180-185 I feel I am looking better. Not that this was an overall goal of mine, but its nice to see positive side effects.

Saber2

6/8/2010

Hills

10 hill sprints. The hill I run is approximately .1 miles up.

Overall good workout. I only had a few 10-20s rests. Otherwise it was continuous. I would jog down and then immediately go back up. Its funny my running workouts don't take much time to write but they tire me out :D

Saber2

6/9/2010

3min Light Stretching/Prehab work

4x10s Tuck Planche (hips are low but I am sure that will get better with time)

4x12s BL Flat Tuck

4x12s L-sits (My legs got higher but started to sag mid way of second set. I wonder if the BL is affecting this)

4x12s FL Flat Tuck

1x6 3x5 HeSPU (This time I did not fall once, so thats an accomplishment. I am gonna start working ROM)

4x5 SLS with Med Ball

4x8 FL Pulls/Ice Cream Makers

4x8 Clapping Pushups

Notes: Good workout. I am trying to experiment witht the proper mix of excercises. I really don't want to change the first four excercises because to me they are my primary goals (Develop these holds) However I think the last four exercises will be changed to accomodate other developments.

Here are some variations I was considering.

-HeSPU, HS Walks, HS Holds for time

-SLS, BL/Ab Wheel/HLL, Plyo Jumps on stairs

-FL Pulls, Rows/Weighted PU, MU

-OAP/P leans, Clapping Pushups, PPP/Hanging Flies

I figure once I become proficient at all these I will start to do more on the rings as in ring series, that is why I do not want to change the first four holds I do. Strength is becoming a byproduct to my goals rather than the focus. Anyway I would really appreciate suggestions or other variations to consider.

Saber2

6/10

Running

2x20 min runs.

The inside of my left knee started acting up or feeling weird after the run, not during. Anyway I am gonna start taking my glucosomine pills. I always forget I have them. I hope this knee thing does not become a constant issue.

Seiji

Eugh running.

It's not so bad, it's just every time I can usually think of I eventually get cramps while running.

Maybe you could wear a knee brace when running?

Saber2

6/11/2010

World Cup Starts today!!!! They need to show more soccer matches in the States.

Mostly Holds (Just played out that way)

4x10s Tuck Planche

3x12s BL Tuck 1x12s BL Straddle.

4x11s L sits First two sets were quality but the last two were decent at best

4x12s FL flat Tuck

4x20s HS (Figure this might be a way to build up like everyother hold)

4x15s PL Leans

4x5 Rows

1x20 Floor Wipers

1x20 V-ups

2x5 HLL

Saber2

6/14/2010

Skipped my running session this past Saturday. Not too pleased about that because today I am feeling down for missing it.

Anyway

4x10s Tuck PL

4x12s Tuck BL

4x10-12s L Sits

4x13s Tuck FL

4x5 HeSPU

4x10 Suspended Glute Curls

3x5 OAP

3x10 Suspended Lunges BW

3x8 FL Pulls

1x5 HLL

1x20 Kneeling Ab Rollout

Not the best workout, because I took a lot of rests. Just felt like I was going through the motions. I lost motivation shortly after the holds were done. Hopefully its just today.

Seiji

What does it mean to have suspended exercises?

I'm liking your ab rollouts too :D I tried a few today... I don't have a wheel, but I do have some slick carpet and a large PVC pipe that works the same. I'm stuck on my knees too.

Saber2

When I refer to suspended I mean using rings or a TRX like device. http://www.rosstraining.com has a lot of great homemade equipment ideas. If you have enough length you can do standing rollouts using the rings/straps. I chose to do it on my knees because I am at a sticking point in the standing rollout.

6/15/2010

8x 1/4mile intervals. My air was off because my average times was closer to 1:40 than 1:35.

Saber2

6/16/2010

4x10s Tuck Planche - As of right now for statics, this is my weakest link

4x10-12s FL (Straddle, Tuck, Full) I was really just trying to test myself because the tuck was too easy.

4x10-11s L sits (Legs are getting higher for the initial 2 sets but slacks off for the last two)

1x10 BL with one leg extended for 5s then switch legs

1x13,1x14,1x15 Flat Tuck BL (In two weeks I will plan on progressing)

4x3 Jumping MU (I would give assistance at the transition for on the way up and try to be slow and controlled on the way down)

4x10 Standing Rollouts using Straps. I am trying to get through the sticking point on the abwheel and I am hoping this will be of some assiatance

2x3 1x2 Wall walks (Orignially intended on doing HS holds but figure I would try the walks. I completely failed on the last set because I attempted a 3rd and my core went slack so I had a nasty bend in the back. Kind of scary so I figure that would be a good stopping point)

All in all a good workout I had a long break between statics and the "dynamic" (I know it probalby doesn't count as dynamic). My Straps are made from tie downs I picked up at Lowes. They had S hooks that would jab my arm when doing dips so I decided to cut those damn things off finally. Definitely was worth it because now I don't get my arms irritated as much.

I was pretty happy yesterday because I tested my bodyfat using a caliper I bought when I used to wrestle in high school. according to that my body fat is in the 11-12% range. To me that is good, considering I don't stick to the healthiest of diets but I am conscious of what I eat.

Saber2

6/17/2010

3x15 min + 1x5 min runs..... I don't know what it is, I just love the feeling of a good run. Today I felt like Forrest Gump, I could just keep going lol. I think I might start playing some soccer with a few friends, if that is the case I will not be doing Saturday runs as much.

Saber2

6/18/2010

The Usual :D

4x10s Tuck PL (My hips remind high for 3 sets. High is just short of shoulder height so I know I am not there yet, but still this is an improvement)

4x12s BL Straddle. (You have to forgive me because I keep confusing BL with FL on some posts. When I do the planche I pair it with BLs. I think FL are BLs because of the muscles worked :oops: )

4xAs Long As Possible HS holds

2x5 SLS

2x10 Suspended Glute Curls

4x5 Body Levers (These need work)

4x14s Flat Tuck FL

3x5 One Arm Pushups

3x3 Assisted One Arm Pullups

Overall a good workout. I am reassessing my goals, both long term and short term.

Long Term: Master My Body! This to me means being able to manipulate my body and hold almost every Gymnastic position.

Short Term:

Flat Tuck Planche

Kipping Muscle Up from the Ground

One Arm Pull-up

Full Body Lever

Half BL

Straddle FL

Hold HS for 5 Min (This will be a while)

I am sure this will get updated. One of my limitations to my goals is I plan on doing this naturally. No protein supplements and the like, I will take my vitamins and fish oil, but that is where I draw the line. I also will not be using barbells or dumbells, my weight increase is limited to sandbags, bands, vest and medball. This weight isn't really a change from what I am currently doing, I just have not added weight because I am waiting to make more progress in some areas. I want my body to grow as a unit rather than parts developing individually.

Saber2

6/19/2010

Ran 8 miles. Went from my place to my parents where I rehydrated and then ran back. My feet were on fire but it felt good nonetheless.

Saber2

6/21/2010

Tuck PL 4x10s not as good in form as last week

Flat Tuck BL 3x13s 1x18s

L Sits 4x11s

BL Flat Tuck 4x15s

2x5 Lunges with feet in rings. 2x5 Exploding Lunge Jumps (both were with 40lb Sandbag)

1x5 HeSPU 1x3, 2x4 HeSPU +10lb Vest

4x20 Powerovers using medball (each side is one rep)

3x8 1x5 FL Pulls/Icecream makers (Tried to finish out the final set but form was awful so I stopped)

3x5 Standing rollouts with wheel 1x8 Standing Rollouts with rings.

Overall good workout, definitely was needed because this weekend my diet went to shit. I drank too much alcohol and ate like a king. I am not so concerned about the alcohol considering I really don't drink all to often so its not too bad to let loose. However my diet went down the drain. This whole weekend involved having late night dinners which is my number one culprit. Yesterday for Father's day, went to a Peruvian restraunt where the prices were amazingly reasonable considering the amount of food I had. Didn't finish it all but will be having it for dinner tonight. Hopefully this week I can get myself back into the swing of things nutritionally.

As for the workout I enjoyed doing the dynamic exercises. It produced a lot of sweat :P I keep going between Ross' books and Coach's book for ideas with my bodyweight excercise. Must say I am looking forward to seeing the other volumes when they are done.

I read an exerpt in Ross' book that said not to focus on one exercise, and I am now wondering by me constantly doing the first four excercises, am I hindering myself in a way I am unaware? I appreciate any and all insight

Saber2

6/22/2010

Track Day

19 100m Sprints (sprint straights, jog corners)

.5mile Jog

Bleacher Runs (these bleachers arent that tall but thats what was available at the track. This was a good finisher)

Joshua Naterman

Statics shouldn't be confused with or grouped with kinetic exercises. The statics, if done properly, primarily condition connective tissue and serve to help hypertrophy the muscle fiber types that strength athletes need the most. That is part of why it takes so long to achieve the last progressions: it takes a long time for the connective tissue to develop and it must be worked often.

As far as kinetic work goes, and by kinetic I mean anything involving motion, it's true that you want to work the muscles differently each time they are engaged. If you take the time to look at the WODs you will see that the same muscle groups are being worked in very different ways each time they are engaged. That is important for constant development. It only takes a few training sessions for a well conditioned body to adapt to any given exercise. As long as you're hitting them differently each time you will continue to grow stronger. You should really just follow the WODs, and maybe keep your sandbag lunges and other lower body stuff for leg days. In case you haven't been reading recent posts, the WODS are a very specific training cycle, and are not random or cookie-cutter workouts. They are what built the national champion and every other successful athlete Coach has. They will work for you too if you just do them exactly as described.