This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100906

Started by Coach Sommer, September 6, 2010 · 23 Replies · 3,009 Views

Coach Sommer

pwCv1Yjb8MI

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

3 – Front Pulls

5 – TOPs Pulls

10 – FL Pulls

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Move immediately from the Shuttle Runs to the Front Pulls.

4) Move immediately from the Front Pulls to the TOPs Pulls.

5) Move immediately from the TOPs Pulls to the FL Pulls.

6) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

Sooner0430

Please excuse my ignorance but what are TOP's?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

front pulls :?:

which one .. which page in book should I check?

Sooner0430 check in book for TOP's its in there I can't find Front Pulls though.

Sooner0430

Ok thanks Spartan. Go to the following web site and slizzardman shows the difference between front pulls and front lever pulls. If the link doesn't work search front pulls on YouTube with will bring up the video.

Leandro

Front pulls are in the core part of the book, whole body variations. Pg 150.

Saber2

What I did:

60s Jump roping

3 Front Pulls Adv Tuck

5 360 pulls tuck (5,5, 3+2, 2+1+1+1)

10 FL Pulls (10, 8+2, 5+4+1, 4+3+3)

Everything was done on rings. This was a lot tougher than I was expecting it to be. The FL pulls are brutal after doing the front pulls and 360's. I had to substitute 360's because I have nothing to do tops on other than the rings. If I am not mistaken the tops are like FL Pulls to inverted hangs then throw your legs over the bar and end up in a support hold above the bar. I need to bring my book to my house because I left it over my parents when I moved out. All in all an excellent workout.

Tarun Suri

If I understand correctly, only TOP pulls has an inverted component to it?

Freeflyer
RandomHavoc said:
If I understand correctly, only TOP pulls has an inverted component to it?

Full front pulls seem to have an invert in them as well. Hang to inverted and back down.

Saber2 said:
What I did:

60s Jump roping

3 Front Pulls Adv Tuck

5 360 pulls tuck (5,5, 3+2, 2+1+1+1)

10 FL Pulls (10, 8+2, 5+4+1, 4+3+3)

Everything was done on rings. This was a lot tougher than I was expecting it to be. The FL pulls are brutal after doing the front pulls and 360's. I had to substitute 360's because I have nothing to do tops on other than the rings. If I am not mistaken the tops are like FL Pulls to inverted hangs then throw your legs over the bar and end up in a support hold above the bar. I need to bring my book to my house because I left it over my parents when I moved out. All in all an excellent workout.

I believe you were thinking of something else. You could have done the TOPs easily on the rings. Although I would venture to guess 360 pulls are a little harder over all. But you do miss out on the pull-up that is in the TOPs.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

60 sec bike sprint (high resistance) x 4

Adv tuck front pull 3,3,3,3

TOP pulls Adv tuck 5,5,5,5

Adv tuck FL pulls 10, 6+4, 4+3+3, 4+3+3 (these were brutal, would feel strong and then just hit a wall)

*arms were slightly bent on the concentric portion of the front pulls on the last 2 sets

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

15s Samson Stretch

500m Row

10 Shoulder dislocate

50 skips

FSP:

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 FL (Tuck; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 PL (Adv Frog; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Manna (MSH Bent; 20s, 15s)

2 x 1 German Hang (Full; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 5s, 5s)

WOD:

4 Rounds

60s Shuttle Run

3 Front Pulls (Purple Elastic Used on Feet)

5 TOPs Pull (Flat Tucked)

10 Front Lever Pulls (Green Elastic on Feet)

Rest 2 mins

Finished with 2 x 10 first knuckle, 2 x 10 rotator cuffs on side, and stretched.

Josh Schmitter

This was a frustrating day. I didn't sleep well last night and wasn't feeling well earlier today so that is part of it, but only a part. First let's get this out there:

4 rounds:

60s shuttle

----2nd two rounds my 'all out' was a light to moderate jog)

3 regular pull ups

---these were almost to failure by round 3

5 TOPs pulls

----Did 3 of these the 1st round, then realized there was no way that would keep up so did all the rest just going from inverted hang to tuck FL and back for all 5 reps

5 jumping pull ups

----could barely do 5 as my grip/forearms were just done even at the first round. By the last 2 rounds I couldn't really even get a 1s static hold at the top of the jump.

This was all with 5min rest between rounds

So...here is what I got to say :):

I really tried to stay with Coach's guide for WOD's i.e. scaling it down, but keeping the same reps so as not to loose the overall function of the WOD. I am not sure how I could have gone down anymore with subbing without just turning all of the sets into regular pull up sets(which I was debating about doing). I guess I'm asking would it be better to just do a regular pull up/chin/body row day on days like these. Or should I have just subbed out the FL pulls with something else like super easy, feet close to the rings, body rows? Or just added more rest time between each set instead of going back to back.

Also, I feel like I should fore-go any FL static work in my warm up on days like these as I need all I can get for the pulls.

p.s. Slizzardman, I tried to get as straight as possible in my German today, but cannot seem to get very straight at all...I'm not sure what it is, but I was doing these on a bar and switched to the rings...so even though still not that straight, it is much less strain on my left elbow even keeping the palms facing front.

Leandro

It was frustrating to me too. This was my first pulling wod.

I did:

1 minute rope jumping

3 negative front pulls, kinda adv. tuck

5 TOP puls, tucked (last ones were bad form)

A few (yes, a few) FL pulls, in basic tuck.

In the first round I managed to do 4 reps of single leg front lever puls, but in all the rest my strength was completely over...... I need a very easy variation of front lever pulls, maybe band assisted... It's frustrating, because actually I am able to do some reps on single leg FL puls, but not after brutal pulling repetitions.

My hope is that I'm just beggining to folow the wods, I have one and half week of wods only. I'm still getting used to some of the exercises, and I will have to find out some way down variations for some specific days.

Tarun Suri

In my warmup, tried advance frogstand for the first time. I did 6s. So I think I'll do 6x5s for a month before reevaluating my volume.

I was really confused with the differences between all the pulling movements. When I finally figured it out, I went to look at earlier progressions and got confused yet again. I know not the names of what I did, but here is what I did for 4 rounds:

10 kb swings (37.5, 42.5, 42.5, 42.5)

3x[inverted hang --> tuck front lever] --> 5x[inverted hang --> tuck front lever --> pullup]

small break

Hang --> [tuck front lever --> pullup]x(5, 3, 2, 2)

I wasn't able to complete it as prescribed so I will likely stay at this level next time it comes around. I'm feeling really confident in my front levers (tuck). I'm considering going advance tuck version next time, but maybe I shouldn't jump the gun. I'm only on week 4 and my warmup has always consisted of 6x10s. I feel like I may be wasting time if I stayed at this level for another 8 weeks :?

Josh Schmitter

I hear that Leandro. You're way stronger than me, but I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble scaling. Those FL pulls...ha which were jumping pull ups for me were just ridiculous...just too fried. But if you add more rest between sets, you take away that aspect of the WOD. If you just do 1 or 2 variations of Pulls, you change that aspect. It's very hard to figure out which to change, though I am leaning toward keeping the rest times accurate and just subbing in other, easier, pulling(body rows, etc.) subs.

On the plus side, I have been doing the WOD's for...hmmm probably a couple months now and it has become much easier to sub and complete them once I got somewhat used to all the new exercises and what I could and, more often, couldn't do.

Freeflyer

Warm Up:

  • [*:3gx093wy]500m row @ 1:52/500m
    [*:3gx093wy]1 x 10 kipping pull ups, 1 x 5 strict pull ups
    [*:3gx093wy]1 x 16 straight arm shoulder flyes - 5lbs dumbbells
    [*:3gx093wy]2 x 8 cuban press - 5lbs dumbbells
    [*:3gx093wy]1 x 10 dead hang squat clean - 45lbs
    [*:3gx093wy]1 x 10 dead hang squat snatch - 45lbs
    [*:3gx093wy]Superset 3 x 20sec frog stand/3 x 20 PL lean - feet elevated
    [*:3gx093wy]3 x 30sec wall handstand - belly to wall, hand as close to wall as possible (2-3in)
    [*:3gx093wy]Superset 5 x 10 XR support/ 5 x 10 Bent knee straddle L - hands between legs

GB WOD:

4 rounds:

  • [*:3gx093wy]Rnd 1 - 30 Double Unders; Rnd 2 - 30 DU; Rnd 3 - 30 1 arm catch and switch KB swings, 16kg; Rnd 4 - 25 Wall Balls, 20lbs, 12ft target
    [*:3gx093wy]3 Front Pulls - Advanced tuck up, straddle down
    [*:3gx093wy]5 TOPs Pulls - Advanced Tuck
    [*:3gx093wy]Rnd 1 - 10 Front Lever pulls, tuck; Rnd 2 - 10 Half front lever pulls, tuck; Rnd 3 - 3 tuck Half Front Lever Pulls, 4 advanced tuck front lever pull ups, 3 strict pull ups; Rnd 4 - 10 Strict Pull ups

Thoughts:

  • [*:3gx093wy]Frog stand was a lot more stable today than before. Only one toe tap to keep balance during all 3 sets.
    [*:3gx093wy]Ran this morning so i didn't feel like shuttle runs. Worked other skills that would still get my heart rate up high.
    [*:3gx093wy]It has been waaaaaaay too long since I have done pull ups and especially strict ones. I hadn't done any really for the past 3 weeks almost, and before that, it was almost entirely all kipping pull ups. My strength definitely suffered on this workout, I was dying especially on the FL pulls and had to come off the bar multiple times during each round. I also found it difficult to stop myself from kipping when I got a little tired. I think from now on I will stop all kipping pull-ups unless I am doing a CF WOD for time (competing against someone). I really need to rebuild my strength; today was embarrassing.

Leandro
TANSTAAFL said:
I hear that Leandro. You're way stronger than me, but I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble scaling. Those FL pulls...ha which were jumping pull ups for me were just ridiculous...just too fried. But if you add more rest between sets, you take away that aspect of the WOD. If you just do 1 or 2 variations of Pulls, you change that aspect. It's very hard to figure out which to change, though I am leaning toward keeping the rest times accurate and just subbing in other, easier, pulling(body rows, etc.) subs.

On the plus side, I have been doing the WOD's for...hmmm probably a couple months now and it has become much easier to sub and complete them once I got somewhat used to all the new exercises and what I could and, more often, couldn't do.

Yeah. Today I was really caugh. I was training 5x5 weighted pull ups some days ago, with just 6kg, but my weight is 90kg. I though today I was gonna complete all perscribed exercises today but no....

Once I tried just for fun to do front levers with an elastic. Though it was useless as a training, but next wod like this I will use something similar. Maybe there's a way to use it to make front lever pulls easier, without changing the mechanics.

EDIT: LOL!!! I just tested it before going to sleep and it works wonderfull! I cranked 10 reps of front lever pulls. I will make a video maybe tomorrow with it. Basically you tie an elastic to your bar, manage to get your feet on it, and simply execute the front lever pulls.

Wheelson

4 rounds

60 second shuttle runs all out I was happy with the effort I put in

3 advanced tuck front pulls

5 advanced tuck TOP'S

10 advanced tuck front lever pulls (first set was half lay)

gave this one my all and was proud to end the summer with this workout =)

now to kick my ass with WOD's during the school year :twisted:

Samuel Carr

Warning: Do not do this WOD outside at night with a small fluorescent light. You will get a dizzy. You will projectile vomit everywhere.

Philip Papandrea

This is the hardest WOD for me to do and scale!

Warm up with 3x20s tuck L, 3x20s frog stand

4 rounds

60 swings 35lb kb

3 front pulls. Tucked with bent arms on the way up. lowered with straight arms.

5 pullups is all i can manage. Couldn't do TOPS pulls. Even when attempted my ceiling was too low.

6 tuck FL pulls the first round and 3 tuck FL pulls the rest of the way.

Very pathetic. Will keep plugging away at it though. Im enjoying the WOD's alot.

Alvaro

First WOD after 3 weeks of recover of several injuries. I did only half volume to allow a smoth recover.

2 x:

3 half front pulls tuck

3 top pulls tuck

2x5 ( first set with 15 secs recover) 10 second set tuck FL pulls

I felt quite well even almost as strong as a month ago!:). The only down part of this WOD is that I have to check each time because I get confused. All the exercices seem similar( althought they are not!)

Justin Kyle
killroy70 said:
Today's WOD:

60 sec bike sprint (high resistance) x 4

Adv tuck front pull 3,3,3,3

TOP pulls Adv tuck 5,5,5,5

Adv tuck FL pulls 10, 6+4, 4+3+3, 4+3+3 (these were brutal, would feel strong and then just hit a wall)

*arms were slightly bent on the concentric portion of the front pulls on the last 2 sets

Besides the shuttle run part, I did the same thing as you did brother. And I totally know what you mean on the Adv tuck FL pulls. I'd be doing fine at the beginning then all of the sudden I couldn't even pull back up from the lever ha. Good stuff though! Keep it up!

Alex Dienaar

Warmed up with;

3x 15 sec XR Tuck Planche + 20s Tuck FL

3x 15 sec XR L-Sit (with rings turned out) + 20s German Hang

3x 30 sec Reverse Pushup Hold + 15s Tuck Back Lever

2x 1 Press to Shoulderstand to L-sit + 1 Straddle Yewkis

2x 1 XR Ring Dip + 3 Inverted Chin-Up

2x 3 clapping pushup + 1 Straddle FL Row

2x1 Clapping Pullups

Workout:

60sec Shuttle Runs

3x Negative Front Lever Pulls

5x Adv Tuck TOP Pulls

10 Adv Tuck Front Pulls (5+5, 3+3+2+2, 2+2+2+2+2, 2)

Went way better than expected, finished up with a set of Bulgarian Pushups at 40X1 tempo (4 reps) because my pushup power is extremely weak.

Felt pretty awesome!

Joshua Naterman

Good work everyone!

If your grip gives, it gives! Don't worry, that will improve fairly rapidly. Doing those warm up sets will help a lot, but as you say if you think that some of the warm up will wreck your work out grip strength then just do it earlier in the day and perform something less grip-intensive for your WOD warm up on the pull days until you see your grip improving. Eventually you'll be able to do the FSP warm up stuff with your WOD and not have problems!

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Starjumps, jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down leans, palm up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

3 x (15s Bent Straddle + 15s Low L Hang)

2 x (15s Planche Lean + 15s Reverse Pushup)

3 x (15s Bent L-sit + 15s German Hang)

WOD - four rounds, with 3 mins rest, of:

60 sec Shuttle Run

3 Ring Negative Front Pulls/Tuck body levers

5 Ring Tuck TOPs Pulls

8 Ring Jumping Tuck FL Pulls

Post-WOD pre-hab/stretching

Ido's Scapular Mobilisation routine

1x10 Wall Extensions

Ido's Scapular Stabilisation routine

1x Dominic Lacasse pike+straddle routine (unassisted only)

Notes:

  • [*:wilxctsf]I felt like I couldn't do the Negative Front Pulls slow enough, so I switched to Tuck body levers in rounds 3 and 4.
    [*:wilxctsf]I can get through the 5 Tuck TOPs pulls, but the Tuck FL Pulls afterwards were brutal. I could only manage 8 of the 10 with less-than-ideal form.
    [*:wilxctsf]I haven't found how to implement Ido's Scapular Stabilisation routine properly yet - it feels like my Iron Woody #1 bands have too much tension for these movements, and doorhandles aren't ideal for securing the bands for lateral band work.