This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100827

Started by Coach Sommer, August 27, 2010 · 29 Replies · 3,637 Views

Coach Sommer

jFdz0yjVLik

Complete the following:

3 sets of Basic Ring Strength 2

5x15 seconds Inverted Hang

5x15 seconds German Hang

5x15 seconds XR Support Hold

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Add additional MU and Bulgarian Dips as necessary to make the series challenging for your current strength level.

2) Be sure to select the most challenging MU variation that you can perform virtuously.

3) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

4) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

5) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

6) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of Inverted Hang and then move immediately to the XR Support Hold and then move immediately to the German Hang.

7) Rest is allowed during the static hold positions only after a single giant set has been completed.

Mathias Flækøy

Would it be OK to replace the basic strength 2 with the basic strength 1?

gymgreg

As Coach said, added some MU and Bulgarian Dips too mix things up a little.

First round: 3x Crank straddle MU, fwd Roll to MU, 3x Bulgarian Dips, BL,FL negative

Round 2 - 4: 3x straddle FL to MU, fwd Roll to MU, 3x Bulgarian Dips , BL, one legged FL

8BST9sRIGqs

Saber2
Hannibal said:
Would it be OK to replace the basic strength 2 with the basic strength 1?

In one of coaches post he suggests you stay with ring strength 1 until you can do 3 Muscle ups in a row. So the answer would be yes.

Today

4 sets of ring strength one

5x15s inverted hang

5x15s german hang

5x15 XR support

My quest for the muscle up is coming along slowly so I have to take pride in my small victories. Instead of the finisher I was doing MU negatives with a strong focus in the transition area. The victory I achieved today was control. I can know move relatively slowly through the decent. So I think my shoulder is getting stronger to handle this. I think in order to accomplish this I will need to start doing weighted pull ups again or clapping pullups. I will also focus on Russian dips on the rings. Again I have to take pride in the small victories to maintain the motivation to conquer this challenge.

Michael Miskelly

Good work Gymgreg. I added to it myself today, feels good to think a while ago even the normal basic series was out of reach and now I am adding to it.

My workout:

4 rounds:

MU, fwd roll MU, 2 bulgarian dips, half lay BL, german hang, pull to inverted hang, one leg FL, pull to inverted hang

5x15sec inverted hang

5x15sec XR support

5x15sec german hang

2x10 Wall extensions

Felt good after 3 rounds so I added a fourth for fun! By the way, although I am newly registered I have been a lurker on the board for a long time and have been doing WOD's along with my own training for a while now, just thought I should join in rather than just reading!

Saber2

Gregor I just saw your video because earlier it wouldn't play. You are a beast! The FL Straddle to MU looks so easy but I know that is a feat in and of its own. You look like you are doing FL Pulls but you go right through to the transition :shock: Color me green with envy. :mrgreen:

Leandro

For MU, what I'm doing is use a little assistance with the feet. I put the rings shoulder height, kneel in front of the rings, grab with a false grip and pull, doing the transition with as little assistance as possible. Going down as slow as possible. I feel this is better to develop the strength than jumping...

I guess it's ok doing basic ring strength 1 this way? I can do 3 or 4 MU reps like this.

Sooner0430

First of all i would like to say that i have throughly enjoyed this site and all the information it contains. Secondly this is my first ring exercise, i have no experience with the rings and so obviously i was not even able to do the basic ring strength 1. I have only been doing these type exercises for about a month. With that being said, after reading ch 7 in Building the Gymnastic Body i am assuming i should start of with the XR jumping? I was able to do the rest of the WOD (inverted hang, german hang, XR support and wall extentions). So i guess my questions is do i start off with XR jumping and progress from there? Thank you in advance for any adivse that you can give me.

Brett

Kenneth Manning

I did 4 rounds of:

3MU-->2RTO dips-->tuck shoulder stand-->press to support-->back roll to invert-->BL-->German hang-->pull out to 1/2 lay FL

*switched to adv tuck FL for last 2 sets

*all 4 sets achieved 3 consecutive MU's - a new personal record for me!

Performed static sets as:,,

Tuck crank-->adv tuck FL x 3-->invert x 15-->BL x 3-->German hang x 15, drop from rings and then XR. Support x 15

Wall extensions (7+3) (7+3) - 5 second break after 7th Rep each set. For whatever reason these were more difficult today, was quite tight after today's workout.

Felt very solid, just really want to get that forward roll to MU.....

Tarun Suri
Sooner0430 said:
First of all i would like to say that i have throughly enjoyed this site and all the information it contains. Secondly this is my first ring exercise, i have no experience with the rings and so obviously i was not even able to do the basic ring strength 1. I have only been doing these type exercises for about a month. With that being said, after reading ch 7 in Building the Gymnastic Body i am assuming i should start of with the XR jumping? I was able to do the rest of the WOD (inverted hang, german hang, XR support and wall extentions). So i guess my questions is do i start off with XR jumping and progress from there? Thank you in advance for any adivse that you can give me.

Brett

Many propose to do 3 pullups and 3 dips (aim to get maximum rom) for every 1 muscleup.

Saber2
RandomHavoc said:
Sooner0430 said:
First of all i would like to say that i have throughly enjoyed this site and all the information it contains. Secondly this is my first ring exercise, i have no experience with the rings and so obviously i was not even able to do the basic ring strength 1. I have only been doing these type exercises for about a month. With that being said, after reading ch 7 in Building the Gymnastic Body i am assuming i should start of with the XR jumping? I was able to do the rest of the WOD (inverted hang, german hang, XR support and wall extentions). So i guess my questions is do i start off with XR jumping and progress from there? Thank you in advance for any adivse that you can give me.

Brett

Many propose to do 3 pullups and 3 dips (aim to get maximum rom) for every 1 muscleup.

I would also suggest you start working on the transition portion too. Say when you are done your 3 dips, slowly work through the transition and then do your 3 pullups. If you work it in this order you should not have to leave the rings so you will be training your grip as well.

Josh Schmitter

Felt a little off today. Did some sets of pull iso holds and some dipping partials for the muscle ups. The rings just felt really blah today so I did 3 of ring strength 1 w/out the muscle ups then did about 3 giant sets of XR hold, german, and Inverted. My german hold is feeling really labored recently since I've been trying slizzardman's advice from his prehab video. Something is just not clicking yet, but hopefully soon. back tuck levers are easy compared to this, though I know I need to get it down.

also RandomHavoc...not sure of your abilities, but I recommend doing pull ups/dips on a stable surface until you can do something like 3sets of 5reps before moving to the crazy instability of the rings. That's where I am now. I'm almost at 3x5 of pulls but can only do about 2 full ROM dips so i've been doing iso holds and partials. I think I'm going to start GTG with several full ROM dips throughout the day.

Erik Sjolin

Well, this was interesting. I managed to get a MU each time (though it was too fast to call it a proper one, still working on it), and I managed to get a forward roll to MU the first time. The other two I lost my false grip and my arms lost their tension.

Adv. tuck 360 pulls, held the levers at a straddled back and 100/100 adv tuck front.

Did all the statics with one minute rest.

Max Johnson

My legs still hurt from yesterday.

Workout:

Warmup:

Starjumps, jumprope

Wrist series (palm down leans, palm up leans, knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP Warmup:

3 x (15s bent straddle + 15s low L hang)

2 x (15s planche lean + 15s reverse pushup)

3 x (15s bent l-sit + 15s german hang)

WOD:

3 x (Ring Strength 0.5 - pullup, dip, support, tuck BL, pull to inverted, lower to tuck FL) with 5 mins rest

5 x (15s Inverted Hang, 15s German Hang, 15s XR Support Hold) with 2 mins rest

4x5 Wall Extensions

1 x Ido's Scapular Mobilisation Routine

Notes:

  • [*:3ttoh6u9]Moved to 3x15s for my first and last FSP pairings today. German hangs are still very uncomfortable, but it didn't feel too bad when I tried holding for a few seconds without any foot assistance for the first time today.
    [*:3ttoh6u9]My body hasnt worked out how to roll back from support into BL so I cheated this transition. I probably should've substituted 3 pullups & 3 dips for a MU, or done some jumping MU or negative MU work. My tuck FL was more of a slow transition than a hold - I can't hold one with my hips horizontal on the bar, let alone the rings.
    [*:3ttoh6u9]I guess I was being a little naughty in holding a tuck BL for the first time since starting the WODs, albeit only for a few seconds. I just doubted that I could pull out of a full ROM german hang. It felt stronger than I remember when training it for 6x10s every workout day.

Leandro

This wod was very nice!

All 6 FSP + german hang and planche lean

(this is my main warm up now)

I did 4 rounds of basic ring strength 1, first was a little jerky

3 feet assisted muscle ups, assisting as little as possible, just ascending.

Fall to inverted hang

Adv. tuck back lever

german hang

Adv tuck front lever

in the 5x15 statics I held german hang for 10-12 seconds as it began to get too strain

2x10 wall extensions

some shoulder dislocates and skin the cat and my wod is done!!

Wheelson

welp my legs are SORE from yesterday haha... a 12 mile bike ride after my workout today doesn't help my cause

well warm up:

3x15 second holds of all the basic statics

main set

1st round

3 false grip pull ups --> 3 very low dip --> muscle up negative to inverted hang --> advanced tuck back lever --> inverted hang-->adv tuck front lever-->inverted hang

2-4 rounds

3 false grip pull ups --> 3 very low dip --> muscle up negative to inverted hang --> advanced tuck back lever --> inverted hang-->adv tuck front lever-->inverted hang-->tuck back lever-->tuck front lever--> inverted hang

then 5x15 inverted hang, german hang, and XR support holds

followed by a 10 mile bike ride

and much later in the day I did 5x1 360 degree pulls with 5 second pauses in advanced tuck front and back levers.

Cody Clark

I loved this WOD evertime I get on the rings I feel so strong.

heres what I did

3 Pullup and 3 dips

Basic ring strength 1 every thing in tuck levers

5x15 sec inverted hang

5x15 sec Support hold

5x15 sec german hang

wall extension 2x 10

Felt great today also did some core work with L sit.

Joshua Naterman

Well! It turns out that some of my strength is returning. I did two muscle ups, since I always fall out of the forward roll straight into the hang. I did have to reset my false grip. I did flat tuck BL, dropped to the best german hang I could do in the space I had, and then went forward to a slightly high straddle FL.

I did a lot of harder static work yesterday, when I found out that full lay BL is actually quite easy and I can do some bent arm straddle planche push ups. I was just playing, but I could tell that messing with any of that before January will be a bad idea. There's no pain but I feel like I can tell a slight difference in my inner elbows. Regardless, it was interesting to see how much strength I have gained with the WODs over what isn't even quite a month yet. After 11 more months my videos will certainly be a lot more inspiring!

I DID get rounds 2 and 3 of the ring strength on video, and I have to apologize about not getting anything up earlier. The videos for this week's WODs will be up this weekend. School has just been crazy and my Spanish class requires a lot of time. My playing around with the grappling club didn't make any more free time either lol!

For those who care about grappling, I had a laughably easy time being physically controlling. Our work here is truly excellent for combat sports.

Tarun Suri
TANSTAAFL said:

also RandomHavoc...not sure of your abilities, but I recommend doing pull ups/dips on a stable surface until you can do something like 3sets of 5reps before moving to the crazy instability of the rings. That's where I am now. I'm almost at 3x5 of pulls but can only do about 2 full ROM dips so i've been doing iso holds and partials. I think I'm going to start GTG with several full ROM dips throughout the day.

Normally even I wouldn't be sure of my abilities, but I can easily enough achieve 3 ring dips. Sure, they are not book standard, but I get full rom to where my armpits touch my wrists. So next time, I will work on not leaning the rings on my body. Afterwards, turning the rings out.

3x[3 pullups, jump to 3 dips, fall to inverted pike, inverted hang, tuck german hang, tuck front lever]

Did all 5 sets of finisher.

Felt great today, hardest part was forcing our of german hang to transition to front lever. But not overly challenging. I always felt like I could have achieved the muscle up, but I think I will postpone it for a month and work on those pullups and dips. Also, my inverted pike sucks a lot. I would hate to see what it likes like on camera or from a 3rd person perspective.

Also, Saber, I think I will take your advice and do dips first and then pullups by getting more transition into play.

Samuel Carr

Including 5 min of jumping rope, stretching, ido's scapula mobilization routine, the rest series, and the 6 static holds, this WOD took me like 2 hours (this is the 1st time ive participated in a WOD). Its not that is was too hard or anything, i think the FSPs just took forever to get through. How long did it take everyone else?

Joshua Naterman

All of that warm up shouldn't have taken longer than 30-35 minutes. How long did your FSP take you? Did you pair them like I showed in the video? The pairing isn't required, but it drastically cuts down the time it takes to do your FSP warm up.

Leandro

My warmup usually take 30 minutes with all 6 FSP and 30s of german hang and planche lean

I do 4x15 for all except MSH bent, witch I do ~8x6s

Maybe I will experiment pairing them as slizzardman sugests, I just don't know If I will be able to do it. It will surely take a lot less time.

Edit: BTW, Slizzardman, I'm looking forward to see your videos for this weeks wods!

Samuel Carr

Well i did 12x5s tuck planche, 4x15s flat tuck bl, 6x10s flat tuck, 4x16s low straddle l, 6x10s l-sit, and 12x5s manna low msh bent legs. All in all it took at least 40 min for the warm-up, but ya slizzard i'll have to take another look at your FSP video and use pairing. I think i could also probably speed up the passive stretching too and save that more for cool-down

Stephen Jaeger

I went through all six FSP using an iPod timer app I bought...it's called Ultra Timer [$1.99, I think...] I set it with two intervals - one for work and one for rest. My work interval was 7 seconds and the rest interval was 17 secs [i know, weird amount of time, but I'll explain] Anyway...I programmed it for eighteen repetitions. I worked my L-Sit, then Straddle-L, Manna, BL, FL, and Planche then repeated that sequence for three rounds. That all took 7 minutes, 12 seconds. The 17 second rest interval allowed me time to move from station to station as well as catch my breath.

For me, 7 seconds at each hold was just enough to not burn myself out, but I got a good warmup and was ready for the WOD at the end. And the timer settings are really easy to adjust, so if I want to increase/decrease time, or increase rounds - easy...

Samuel Carr

Jaeger you're supposed to have an aggregate time of 60sec for each hold. So with 3x7s.... thats only 21 seconds total