This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100902

Started by Coach Sommer, September 2, 2010 · 17 Replies · 2,447 Views

Coach Sommer

trvd6vsIE2o

Perform the following:

5x5 GHR

5x30m Sled Sprint

Finish the workout with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

notes:

1) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between sets.

2) This is a maximal strength workout. Do not perform these exercises as a giant set. Perform one set and then rest. Complete all of the GHR sets prior to moving on to the Sled Sprints.

3) Add sufficient weight to the sled/tire sprints to make the sprints quite challenging; the running should be very strenuous.

4) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting, have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap. The best substitute, and possible even better than the sled sprints, is to run up a very steep hill with a weighted vest.

5) Do Not skip the Hip Extensions at the end of the workout.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD

SLS 20x5, 30x5, 35x5, 35x5, 35x5

Band assisted natural leg curls mini jumpstretch band 5x5

Hip extensions 3x10 - feel I'm getting better at these, a little more height, correct body alignment, smoother reps.

Joshua Naterman

MAN! At first I thought you were doing 5 sets of 20 reps, and so on, and my eyes almost fell right onto the keyboard!!!

Tarun Suri
slizzardman said:
MAN! At first I thought you were doing 5 sets of 20 reps, and so on, and my eyes almost fell right onto the keyboard!!!

You definitely weren't the only one!

Kenneth Manning

Ha!! Yeah I should have been more clear. Those are weights done 5 reps per leg alternating leg each rep

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

LlItVJRXttw

The second exercise... thats the hip extension right? Thats the one I did I hope I got it right.

Warmup:

500m Row

15s Samson Stretch

10 Shoulder Dislocate

50 Skips

Fundamental Static Positions:

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Front Lever (Tuck; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Planche (Advanced Frog; 10s, 10s)

2 x 1 Manna (PB Bent; 10s, 10s)

2 x 1 German Hang (10s, 10s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 5s, 5s)

WOD:

5 x 5 GHR; rest 3 mins.

5 x 70m Sprint with 20# vest rest 3 mins.

Finish with 3 x 10 Hip Extensions and stretching.

Guest

Click the hip extensions link Coach provided and you will find out... ;)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
biomieg said:
Click the hip extensions link Coach provided and you will find out... ;)

I did; the topic is standing leg raise so I`m confused if its a link error or its just me that I got my terminology wrong with another exercise.

So I guesse I did the wrong one :/ oh well will work on it next time.

Thanks biomieg.

Guest
I have my athletes perform 1x10 extending each leg forward, 1x10 extending each leg sideways and 1x10 extending forward and then circling sideways all the way to the rear and then returning back to the front (this constitutes one rep of "hip circles"). I prefer to perform hip circles with a table or chair next to me forcing me to keep the leg correctly elevated during the movement. My personal preference is for hip extension work to be performed at the end of leg strength.

Yeah, the idea is to raise/extend/retract the legs. Anyway, this is what Coach meant by Hip Extensions.

Newguy

:shock: Done. I never realized how weak my legs were....

The Newguy

Samuel Carr

Im kinda confused by the hip extension description. Does it just mean while standing, raise each leg as high as you can while keeping it straight forwards, then backwards, then forward with a semi circle type movement to the back before lowering? A video might be helpful...

Tarun Suri

5x5 natural leg curls (negatives only). Huge improvement. I got the entire negative movement on most my reps.

1x15m sled run. Used the wrong bench (didn't know one to use). It wasn't made for sliding and barely moved an inch.

Max Johnson

Yet another WOD that exposes the terrible condition of my legs!

Workout:

Warmup:

Starjumps, jumprope.

FSP warmup:

2 x (15s Bent Straddle + 15s Low L Hang)

2 x (15s Planche Lean + 15s Reverse Pushup)

2 x (15s Bent L-sit + 15s German Hang)

WOD - perform (with 5 mins rest between each set):

5x5 Natural Leg Curls

5x Running up stairs with 50 lbs backpack (~1/3 bodyweight)

3x5 Hip Extensions

Notes:

  • [*:3ima5vnr]Doing NLC with legs properly secured for the first time makes them hit the spot much better. My hips were pretty straight throughout, but I was deliberately doing them a bit speedily to lower the difficulty. I'd like to be able to walk in a few days time, after all. Probably still not going to happen.
    [*:3ima5vnr]I ran up a flight of stairs 4 times and down it 3 times for the weighted sprints. A second flight of stairs would be nicer, but that was unavailable today. I'm not sure how useful running downstairs was, but this got me pretty tired regardless. Doing 5 times up and 4 times down was enough to reach failure in the final set (needed to walk the last few stairs). Weighting the backpack with magazines is much more comfortable than with maths or physics textbooks.
    [*:3ima5vnr]First time doing Hip Extensions too. I performed them 2x5 with each leg forward then 1x5 with each leg sideways. Note to self: focus on not letting the leg drop as you straighten.
    [*:3ima5vnr]Is it a good idea to do things like pike stretching after leg strength days?

Freeflyer

Warm Up:

  • [*:1e1vmfzw]750m row @ 1:55/500m
    [*:1e1vmfzw]20 Wall Balls - 20lbs ball 12ft target
    [*:1e1vmfzw]Superset 3 x 20sec Frog Stand/3 x 20sec Planche Lean - feet elevated to head level
    [*:1e1vmfzw]Superset 3 x 15sec XR shoulder stand/2 x 30sec wall handstand - belly to wall, hands as close to wall as possible
    [*:1e1vmfzw]Superset 5 x 10 sec XR support/5 x 10sec bent knee straddle L - hands between legs

GB WOD:

  • [*:1e1vmfzw]5 x 5 Half GHR raise using GHD machine - went as far as I could with the straight body then piked at hips and came back up trying to hold hips in the same spot, then raised back to starting position.
    [*:1e1vmfzw]3 x 10 SLS - 5 each leg, no weight, stood on box so floating leg could hang lower
    [*:1e1vmfzw]5 weighted sprints - did these with a 45lbs back pack and 55lbs kettle bells in each hand. Sprint 20m forward, then 20m backward run.
    [*:1e1vmfzw]3 x 10 hip extensions - only did the forward motion. Forgot about doing it out the the side. Can barely make 90.

Thoughts:

  • [*:1e1vmfzw]GHRs were much harder than I expected them to be. It was a rather humbling exercise, and I started to cramp up some in the Hammies and calves.
    [*:1e1vmfzw]I really enjoy leg days overall, and consider myself to have above average muscular endurance in the legs (not so much strength), so I added to the WOD to make it as difficult as I could for my time limit.
    [*:1e1vmfzw]There is a noticeable strength difference in my legs on SLS. My left leg is definitely weaker. I also do not have the active the flexibility to do these on the ground yet.

Saber2

My workout

3x15 band single leg curls. My knee still bothers me with this movement on my left leg. So I am going do do this more often with light resistance and higher reps.

5x ~30m weight sled sprints. I did this in my back yard going one to the other.

3x10 hip extensions

Today it took some thought into how I was going to do the weight sled, at first I was gonna throw on the weight vest and go running. However I am iffy on that because of the added stress to the joints. So I created a sled using my speed harness and a tupperware bin. The speed harness I have is meant to be use with a partner. So I wrapped that around the bin and threw in my 125lb sandbag. I think I will try to build an actual sled for this because I really enjoyed this workout. Next time I will bring my toys to the park. But carrying that sandbag alone is a workout in and of itself.

Josh Schmitter

Did this one today and it felt pretty good even though I had random mishaps...

5x5 GHR half with little to no angle...these felt much better/much more controlled with an almost 90 degree angle of hams to ground. Supersetted these with pull up reverse ladders(5,4,3,2,1) and some dip iso holds.

Did the sled runs, but after the 1st one my backpack/huge arse rock setup fell apart and just did some hill sprints unweighted as I couldn't think of anything on the fly.

3x10 Hip extensions: These still feel very hard, but I do like doing them. It could be too that I'm slightly changing my angle higher as I'm getting better so it feels just as hard.

Also, just curious as to how long people are holding these. The fronts and side I do probably about 4-7s but that is counting setting the knee, extending and retracting. The full circle ones are easier to gauge as I just go as slow as I can around, but when I get around to the back, my lower back burns like crazy(good burn).

Joshua Naterman

I simply didn't have access to what I needed for this WOD, but I DID roll around quite a lot at grappling club! I'm in need of a short deload, so I probably won't be doing this or Friday's WOD.

Wheelson

did this one on friday

5x5 GHR half -a sixth set of controlled negatives for funsies

then 5x 150+meters with a 40 lb weight vest on

not too taxing, but I will admit I didn't wait the full 3-5 minutes between every set