This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100730

Started by Coach Sommer, July 30, 2010 · 21 Replies · 2,763 Views

Coach Sommer

UXwNBdyEewg

Complete four rounds:

20’ L-sit Walks

3 XR HSPU

5 XR Dips to L-sit

7 Triple Clap Pushups

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) The L-sit Walks should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the L-sit Walks is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Move immediately from the L-sit Walks to the XR HSPU. Be conscientious in completely locking the elbows and turning the rings out at the top of each repetition.

3) After the XR HSPUs move immediately to the XR Dips to L-sit without coming down off of the rings.

4) XR Dips to L-sit are done by performing a regular XR Dip with the legs hanging down and then simply adding an L-sit at the top of each dip. Be sure to lock and extend the elbows properly during the XR L-sit portion of the dips.

5) After the XR Dips to L-sit drop down off of the rings to the floor and immediately begin the Triple Clap Pushups.

6) Triple Clap Pushups are performed by exploding up off of the ground and clapping once in front of the chest, then once behind the back and finally once more in front of the chest. ALL CLAPS SHOULD BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO LANDING.

7) If you are unable to complete a Triple Clap Pushup, adjust your repetitions upwards as follows: 12 repetitions for Double Clap Pushups (one clap forward & one clap behind; your choice of order) or 15 repetitions for Single Clap Pushups. These adjusted repetitions are to be completed per round.

8 ) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

9) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement.

Guest

:shock:

I'll report back later when I finished the workout...

Kenneth Manning

What's the best sub in this workout for 20' L sit walks? I song have access to a long set of PB, so tuck walks are out. Normally when >170 bpm is the goal I just choose something that jacks my heart rate, but just wondering if something in particular is a better sub here. Just not strong enough for these quite yet.

Josh Schmitter

Hey killroy, I would guess Ag walks would be a good sub, possibly with one leg as that would put more core into it? Or even doing an L-sit walk with your feet on the ground as in an Ag Walk, but focusing more on an L-sit hand/body position. I'm guessing here.

Kenneth Manning

Tanstaafl - yeah, I'm about to go do the WOD right now and I'm going to try a 20' L sit walk with one foot on the ground (alternating each set). I remember last time these being prescribed being surprised at how hard regular L sit walks are, I could barely move forward. And my triceps are a bit sore from yesterday attempting the tuck PL dips, so today's WOD should be an interesting one....

Kenneth Manning

Well, I quickly found I had to drastically scale this one back.

4 rounds

A1) 20' L sit walk -- subbed ~20' tuck L PB walk (2 BB's run across a power rack, got into a tuck and went back and forth 6 times)

A2) HeSPU head to 4" block x 3, 3, 2+1 negative, 3 negatives (negatives to floor, obviously)

A3) XR dip to L sit 5,5,5,5 (first 2 sets RTO dips, last 2 had to turn rings in on the dips and out on the L sit)

A4) Single clap pushups 15, 9+6, 7+4+3+1, 6+5+2+2 (by second round-on, when I arrived at this exercise I had no juice left in my arms)

wrist pushups on knees 2x10

Guest

Wow~!

I scaled this WOD down to three rounds of the following:

1 meter L-sit 'hops' + 7 meters L-sit walks (1 extended leg sliding on the floor)

3 HeSPU negatives

5 chair dips to L-sit

10 regular pushups

Finished with 2x10 Wrist pushups on my knees.

Notes:

1) The L-sit 'hops' I mentioned were actual L-sit walks (my first try) but with very small steps (about 15 for 1 m distance :D))

2) Next time the WOD calls for L-sit walks I might give the Ag Walks a try. I will start of with a bit of the actual L-sit walks though, to practice and get the technique down.

I have finished two weeks worth of WODs now and I enjoyed them immensely. I have alternated a bit between scaling down progressions and scaling down repetitions (sometimes both) and I have yet to find the perfect compromise. But I'm leaning towards full # of repetitions/sets/rounds with very easy progressions. I think the satisfaction of completing a full, scaled-down WOD as prescribed will be bigger than the satisfaction of performing somewhat more difficult progressions and having to quit after a couple of rounds :D

Coach Sommer
biomieg said:
But I'm leaning towards full # of repetitions/sets/rounds with very easy progressions ... completing a full, scaled-down WOD as prescribed will be ... (more productive) ... than the satisfaction of performing somewhat more difficult progressions and having to quit after a couple of rounds

Exactly right.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guest

Thanks, Coach! I have a general question on using various FBE progressions in the context of the WODs (I think I can guess the answer but I'm asking it anyway ;)).

For example, if the WOD calls for a dip progression and I find during the workout that the progression I've used in previous WODs (say, chair dips) is becoming too easy - should I then complete the WOD using the next harder progression or should I use the easy progression and only move on to the harder progression in the next WOD?

Measuring progress for FSPs in a steady state cycle is easy but if one performs all FBEs solely in the WOD it becomes harder to measure.

Coach Sommer
biomieg said:
if the WOD calls for a dip progression and I find during the workout that the progression ... is becoming too easy - should I then complete the WOD using the next harder progression or should I use the easy progression and only move on to the harder progression in the next WOD?

Scaling works both ways.

If the RX'd progression is too easy for you, always feel free to move up to a more difficult progression as long as you are able to maintain the correct sets/reps. You may however find it necessary to remain with a particular progression for a while in order to allow your gains to consolidate prior to moving up.

Another possible solution for you that I occasionally use with my own athletes is to use a blended set. For example XR Bulgarian Dips for the assigned reps are too hard, but regular XR Dips are too easy. They would begin their set with XR Bulgarian Dips and when those begin to fail finish out the remainder of the set with XR Dips.

This 'blended" approach allows both the exposure to a new variation, and the subsequent increase in strength, while simultaneously maintaining the correct volume.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guest

Thanks again Coach, that answer was exactly what I was looking (and hoping) for.

Richard Duelley
Coach Sommer said:

Another possible solution for you that I occasionally use with my own athletes is to use a blended set. For example XR Bulgarian Dips for the assigned reps are too hard, but regular XR Dips are too easy. They would begin their set with XR Bulgarian Dips and when those begin to fail finish out the remainder of the set with XR Dips.

This 'blended" approach allows both the exposure to a new variation, and the subsequent increase in strength, while simultaneously maintaining the correct volume.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cool, I have been doing that naturally. I think I do it more on those days when my body is a bit more beat up than usual and/or I reach a little too far and have to pull back in order to finish the sets/reps.

Kenneth Manning

Yeah, same here. Like in today's workout I started out with rings turned out dips, and after 2 sets they started to get tough to lock out so I switched to rings turned in on the last 2 sets.

Guest

What I did until now when it was hard completing the required # of reps with a given progression was taking short rests (2-10 seconds) in between reps. But the blended approach makes more sense.

Joshua Naterman

The blended sets are better, unless you're feeling a little worn down.

We work our muscles fairly often here, which is great for consolidating gains, but if we push the intensity too high we are in danger of depressing the nervous system, which will make quite a few workouts less productive than they should be before we recover fully. It's a fine line, and rest-pause crosses that line just a little. I might do it on one or two workouts a week, but literally ONLY on the last set, and only for 1 extra rep, depending on how I feel. Does that make sense at all?

I have no idea how I'll perform on today's WOD, I feel good but it's been a long time since I've done anything like this one and just the 3 sets of planche dips yesterday have me feeling my chest and shoulders quite a bit lol! So, even though I know that I'm good for at least 2 sets of the bulgarian dips, I may not do any sets. I'll see how I feel during warm up and my first set of regular ring dips. If I'm feeling saucy and hot, I'll turn it up for a set and do RTO bulgarian or something, and if I notice after just one rep that I can only do 2 more reps I'll immediately turn it down to just bulgarians or regular dips, depending on what I feel. It's the end of the week and we've got 72 hours before the next WOD, so I'm not afraid of one hard set, but trying to go hard the whole time even with that much rest will make me less than fresh for next week, and that would be stupid on my part.

I too am going to have to scale this one WAAAAAAAAAAY back lol! My eyes almost popped out when I read this one!

Josh Schmitter

This was a ridiculous joke...on me of course. I either subbed this up completely wrong for me, or I'm just weaker than ever. I was feeling a little out of it so I scaled it down even more than I was planning...

3 x 15s Lsit on floor...should have done 10s

3 x 5 pike pushups...even these I was struggling by the second set.

3 x 8s chair dip negatives

managed about 3 clapping pushups in very poor form the 1st round and the next 2 could barely do regular push ups....

I still feel that even the easiest progressions on some of these things are too hard...should I have just subbed in a blended set of pike and regular pushups for the clapping and did some light handstand work/6 wall runs for the HSPU's ? I don't know...

Wrist pushups still feeling better.

Joshua Naterman

That's a good first effort! This was a very tough WOD.

My WOD:

4 rounds:

20 foot single leg L sit walk, alternating legs each round! Thanks Killroy!

3 HeSPU (first round I did one ugly full ROM parallet HSPU)

5 bulgarian-ish XR dips to L sit

7 double claps, 6 double claps, 4 double and 3 single claps, 8 single claps. I'm just too blasted from yesterday to move my arms that fast lol! I made sure to get good height with a body kip so that I could have a really good altitude drop. Quite tough. Trying to do 12-15 of those is way out of my league right now.

Kenneth Manning

Nice work slizz. Performing even "bulgarian-ish" XR dips for all 4 rounds is pretty damn good. Just from round to round, with the lack of rest between sets, this one was tough. I plowed through that first round feeling great, though it took some real effort, and then in 2.5 minutes I began round 2 and my triceps and shoulders just laughed at me.

Going to play with some technique-ish stuff tomorrow, nothing strenuous, as my body is telling me it needs these 2 days off of serious training....

Alvaro

This was tough!

4 rounds of:

10-15 feet of Lsit walks with both feet on the ground. I have to try with one foot elevated.

3 HeSPU negative for the first 2 rounds ( first time ever I did this, I set a foam under my head in case my arms failed which they did but only in the last half inch XD) then box HeSPU for the other 2.

5 pb dips to LSit around 90 degrees deep only, I felt tired from yesterday.

9 jumping push ups, they are a bit higher now like a inch and a half, when fresh I am able to move a bit the hands together.

2x 10 wrist push ups

I'm sore today this weekend is really needed !

Saber2

This was rough.

4 rounds:

20' agwalks (Attempted one legged L-sit walks but it aggrevated the knee so scaled down to agwalks. I am thinking the pain in the knee is now related to the muscle surrounding the shin. It hurts on the outside lower left of the knee, can't tell if its a ligament or muscle that is sore)

3 HeSPU

5 XR dips to Lsit

7 Clapping pushups (Couldn't do tripple)

I felt the HeSPU were okay but my ROM is very limited so I am focusing on lowering more. I can't do them on parallettes do to ceiling height. I also probably can't do them anyway. So after the WOD I finished with doing Pike Presses on paralletes to make up for the ROM. All in all great workout. Didn't realize at first how much this was gonna toast the chest and triceps.

Also, thank you coach and slizzardman for the advice. My warmups have been nonexistant until lately. I started doing the FSE as a warm up, however I am not doing max like I thought. I always keep some in the tank because I do now going to the limit will fry and possibly injure me. Since its skill development I am trying to do perfect practice since that is what develop skill. So to me that is one set for now until I get more comfortable with my current skill level.

Joshua Naterman
killroy70 said:
Nice work slizz. Performing even "bulgarian-ish" XR dips for all 4 rounds is pretty damn good. Just from round to round, with the lack of rest between sets, this one was tough. I plowed through that first round feeling great, though it took some real effort, and then in 2.5 minutes I began round 2 and my triceps and shoulders just laughed at me.

Going to play with some technique-ish stuff tomorrow, nothing strenuous, as my body is telling me it needs these 2 days off of serious training....

Lol, mine too! I definitely appreciate my weekends off now lol! Some light recovery work is all I'll do.

I've always been fairly strong in the dipping department, but let me tell you, I was surprised at how challenging that was! If it wasn't a friday workout I wouldn't have put quite as much into it I don't think.

Calder Photography

Hey guys! This is my first WOD attempt!

I've just started getting into gymnastic training, I also tested my max holds for my 4 chosen Fsp's. They were as follows:

TUCK LEVER - 13 SECONDS

L SIT - 30 SECONDS

PLANCHE (ADVANCED FROG STAND) -

TUCK BACK LEVER - 20 SECONDS (DONT KNOW IF I CAN DO A FLAT ONE, NO ONE SPOTTING)

I have a very long way to go, I plan on doing the workout of the day everday, starting with some FSP work (following the steady state cycle).

Here's my result from todays WOD:

Ag walk

3x Hespu

5x Dips (using 2 chairs) into L sit (held for 2-3 seconds at the top)

10 single clap pushups first round, 8 the second and third round, and 5 the 4th.

Felt good, hard, but wasn't exhausted at all.