This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100805

Started by Coach Sommer, August 5, 2010 · 30 Replies · 3,606 Views

Coach Sommer

vTIfss5oF8w

Complete four rounds:

3-20m wind sprints

5 Pullovers

10 FL Pulls

15’ Cirque

notes:

1) The Wind Sprints should be performed with an all out effort. You may pause for a 2 to 3 breaths in between each sprint.

2) Move immediately from the Wind Sprints to the Pullovers.

3) Move immediately from the Pullovers to the FL Pulls.

4) Move immediately from the FL Pulls to the Cirque.

5) If you do not have access to a rope, you may substitute 20 towel pull-ups for the Cirque.

6) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

7) Remember to work hard, but to scale this workout if necessary.

Alexander Moreen

I was wondering, where do I fit in OAC training doing WOD's? I would replace pullups with it, but all the pullups in these wods are explosive so far(Been doing these WODS for like a month). I feel like cirques aren't specific enough to get me to a oac or oap in less than years, when I'm probably only a moth or 2 away with more dedicated training for it.

Graham Smith

Dumb question of the day: What is a "wind sprint"? I can find no description either in BtGB or using the search feature on this forum.

(I can't wait to try this WoD it sounds painful!)

Cole Dano
Primate said:
Dumb question of the day: What is a "wind sprint"? I can find no description either in BtGB or using the search feature on this forum.

(I can't wait to try this WoD it sounds painful!)

Run as fast as you can for 20m stop take a couple of breaths and repeat two more times.

Guest

Hadn't done the Pullovers before. And guess what - can't do them on my (fixed) door pullup bar!

I scaled today's WOD to the following:

Two rounds of:

60s fast ginga (basic capoeira step)

5 tucked Pullovers on XR

10 tucked FL Pulls

20 Jumping Towel Pullups

Notes:

1) the 'tucked Pullovers on XR' were performed as follows (XR hanging from the pullup bar): pullup from seated position, roll backwards, briefly touch the floor with the feet, and push up to XR support, slowly lower down to MU transition, feet on the floor and sit down for next repetition. This is the best I could come up with for now!

2) I jumped into the towel pullups and lowered slowly.

3) I rested 5 minutes between rounds.

Saber2

Warmup/Skill training

9 seconds Tuck Planche

10 second L Sit

Stretch

WOD:

Hurdle side steps: I figure since I do interval training every other day, I will incorporate some technical running when coach requires running. This will help for soccer training.

5 MU where I assist through the transition

10,10,5+5, 4+2+2 FL Pulls

8,8,5+3, 4+3 Towel Pullups

Rest 2:30

I normally don't struggle too bad with FL pulls but the towel pullups smoked me. This was an outstanding workout. I strived to reach the numbers today so there were a few short rests so I can achieve the desired reps.

See my log for further discussion.

Coach Sommer
biomieg said:
the 'tucked Pullovers on XR' were performed as follows (XR hanging from the pullup bar): pullup from seated position, roll backwards, briefly touch the floor with the feet, and push up to XR support, slowly lower down to MU transition, feet on the floor and sit down for next repetition. This is the best I could come up with for now!

Nicely done!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guest

Thanks Coach!

I'm definitely fed up with the door pullupbar/XR solution by the way. As soon as we've moved from our current apartment to a bigger place (hopefully in a few months) I'm going to build a small home gym with parallel bars, stall bars, and more space for the rings.

Saber2

Biomeg,

I just realize your description of the xr pullover is exactly what I do for the Assisted MU. Normally I do not put my feet on the ground when lowering, but I want to go slower through that point so I did. I understand your frustration with the door pullup bar and rings. I am in the same boat with you. When I move I hope to have vaulted ceilings. I don't care if its the dining room, the rings are going in there lol.

Joshua Naterman
Lavastine said:
I was wondering, where do I fit in OAC training doing WOD's? I would replace pullups with it, but all the pullups in these wods are explosive so far(Been doing these WODS for like a month). I feel like cirques aren't specific enough to get me to a oac or oap in less than years, when I'm probably only a moth or 2 away with more dedicated training for it.

What makes you think you're only 1-2 months away from it?

What is your OAC training?

You COULD just do two sets of FL pulls and 2 sets of towel pull ups/cirques, which would leave you with 2 sets of properly scaled OAC work to play with. Example:

Round 1:

wind sprint

pullover

OAC

Cirque

Round 2:

Wind sprint

pullover

FL pulls

OAC

Round 3:

As prescribed, OR:

Wind sprint

OAC

FL pulls

Cirque

That way you're still getting most of the impact from the WOD, which means you should still get good overall pulling progression, while still putting a little bit more focus on that OAC, since it seems important to you. You could do that with most of the pulling workouts, and if you're scaling properly you won't burn yourself out.

Guest

@ Saber: cool! While I was experimenting I definitely felt that this exercise could fit in somewhere in the MU progressions. I had hoped to be able to 'muscle myself up' to XR support from the backward roll but that wasn't meant to be ;)

Kenneth Manning

Today's wod:

A1 ) 20 m sprints x 3 x 4

A2) pullover (3+2),(2+2+1),(2+2+1),(2+2+1)

*not ideal situation for these, had to do them on the pullup bar that runs across the top of my power rack - problem is is that there is the top support of the rack that sits about 6" behind pullup bar. When pulling my legs over I had to sort of "scoot" a bit to get into support position

A3) FL pulls 10,10,(6+4), (4+3+3)

A4 ) towel pullups (6+4),(5+3+2),(4+3+3),(3+3+3+1)

I'm reposting this from my phone bc my post from my computer apparently didn't go through. I apologize if I ended up double posting.

Tough tough workout.

Charles Weill

Today was my first WOD ever after completing my 12 week SSC. This could be described in one word. Ohmagad.

2 x 3-20m Wind Sprint

(2+3)+(2+4) Pullovers. Very hard because I didn't have a proper bar, but curved monkey bars instead. Could have done a couple more otherwise

(5+5)+(5+5) FL tuck Pulls.

(7+4)+(5+5+5jumping negatives) Towel pulls

I only did 2 sets today because it was 95 degrees outside with very little shade and was afraid of dying from heat stroke. Plus it was the hardest thing I had done in a long time--seriously 3x20 towel pulls!?!?! I'm looking forward to tomorrow's and will probably do it later in the day, when the outdoor temperatures are more reasonable.

Joshua Naterman

LOL!!! I did mine outside too, from 2:20 to 3:20 including warm up and all that. It was crazy! I video taped my warm up and WOD first and last round, so I will be putting those up later on. I think that will help answer questions about how things should go, perhaps.

WOD:

Round 1:

3x20m sprints

5 pullovers

10 FL pulls, going from full lay to tuck over the course of the reps to keep from burning out.

5 towel pull ups.

Round 2:

3x20m sprints

4 pullovers

10 FL pulls, flat tuck

5 towel pull ups.

Round 3:

3x20m sprints

4 pullovers

9 FL pulls, tuck

5 towel pull ups. I think. Might have been 4, but I don't htink so.

Round 4:

3x20m sprints

5 pullovers

8 FL pulls, from full lay to tuck

4.5 towel pull ups.

MAN! This was a great workout. The heat made it even tougher.

Alexander Moreen

To slizzardman(from my phone so I couldn't get quotes to work right):

At my current level I can lower down and pull back up from a bit more than 90 degrees. Or do a full rep with a swing. I need a 10 lbs plate for a full assisted rep. I feel close I mostly just need to get stronger at initiating the pull from deadhang.

grprahl

I made a change in the running. Instead of doing the wind sprints as part of the sets, I did 150s on the track before heading to the gym. 5x150m @ 20" w/1.5' rest. Not super fast but definitely short of breath by the last one. Will build this up to 8 reps over the course of a couple weeks. Followed by 2x20 multi-jump circuit.

At the gym, 3x4 power clean @ 56% 1RM. Then 3x8 front squat supersetted with 3x8 single-leg archups. Then tried the WOD.

Did the pullovers on a bar in a powerrack. Since it had freedom to rotate, it made it a little easier but I had nowhere else to do them. Did the FL pulls in the tuck position. Instead of cirques I just did 15' rope climbs and drops because I had no idea how hard they would be as part of those sets. By the last set I struggled to even ascend the rope a few feet. Tried doing a set of towel pullups but the towel started to rip. Thought they'd stock the Y with better quality towels lol. Pretty tough overall.

It'll feel really good to get this workout down not having to scale it.

Stewart Whaley

Complete four rounds at lunch:

3-20m wind sprints

12’ Cirque

5 Pullovers - touched knees to bar, can't get over it.

10 FL Pulls - tuck FL pulls first set, tuck FL rows last 3 using pullup assist machine. had my shoulders on the foot rest so it pushed up from below while I pulled up on the dip bars from below.

My grip was FRIED.

After work - 1 hour Muay Thai

Joshua Naterman

Here's my FSP Warm up. There have been a bunch of questions as to how this works and how I can do it in 10 minutes. Here's a 10 minute video of the warm up. Keep in mind that this is JUST the FSP portion of the warm up. I do a few easier exercises and some basic mobility work also.

HOC8Ya00f3g

I had a much better reverse push up hold today but my battery died. Form is always worse on the tile floor because my body is constantly trying to slide backwards and I have to fight incredibly hard to stay in place. That's why the form isn't quite perfect. I had to splice in some footage from a few days ago to fill out the sets because my batteries started failing.

My WOD video, which I will add in once it uploads in a few minutes, will show the first and last round of my WOD. You'll notice that each round takes me around 6 minutes, not including a 3 minute rest between rounds. All together that makes a 33 minute WOD with a 10 minute FSP warm up and a 10 minute mobility and work set warm up, for a 53 minute total. If I were in better condition I wouldn't need to take like 40 seconds between exercises and I could cut out 7 or 8 minutes total to get down closer to 45 minutes total.

WOD Video:

7XG7gN24tuU

Graham Smith

Well that's a workout to lose weight! although I don't think bulimia is healthy long term. :cry: I had to scale right back. Managed 4 rounds of:

3x20 m sprints

5 knee to bar pullover attempts

2x5 tuck FL pulls (with too much swing)

10 straddle rope pullups

I couldn't even climb the rope I've lost so much power to weight ratio (in both directions sadly). So I just did straddle pullups from seated to a 2:1:2 tempo like step one of a proper rope climb

Unfortunately my very weak core let me down on this one and it was almost too hard to work maximally if that makes sense. That said, the most inspirational statement in Coach's book for me is that one page a day for a year ends up with a hefty novel. O guess I just bled sweated and spewed out a paragraph and that has to be a food thing.

Coach Sommer
slizzardman on proper scaling said:
There are four GB WODs per week. You are not doing yourself any favors, if you try to wreck yourself everytime you work out.

Excellent point.

I also enjoyed the sound effects during your sets. Although your 2 to 3 breaths in between exercises seemed suspiciously more like 20! :wink:

Remember that this is a dynamic strength day rather than a basic strength day. Except for a few breaths in between exercises, one of the purposes of this workout is to essentially remain in nearly constant motion for the duration of each giant set.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alvaro

Today was exausting! But I feel an improvement in dinamic pull day.

4x

4x15m sprint Runs ( you must see the faces of the people at the gym while I was sprinting between the machines!)

5 body rows( next time I'll perform them more explosively)

5 PL pulls half ( 10 is too much for almos everything for me so I choosed to do at least one multiplane)

12' cirques with feet helping up and down( a bit less). The last cirque was HARd!

I feel a steady improvement here too. Not a big surprise by now! :D

Josh Schmitter

That's killer slizzardman. Videos answer so many little questions in such a felicitous way. The kids are a definite plus to any workout and once I get more of a set/comfortable routine and strength level I will most likely hit the local park for some of the WOD's. I love the jelly beans as well, but as I am not a huge fan of corn syrup myself, I rock dried apricots and medjool dates(the big ones) as they have some of the highest glucose levels right behind honey. I usually have them after my workout with some pea protein, but might pop one in between rounds now and get back to ya with the results.

Cole Dano

Lovin' the WOD vids Mr Sliz!

Since so many of us do this in isolation is great to see someone doing the various exercises. I hope you are able to stick with making them for a while, it would be great for folks to see a cycles worth.

Hopefully Coach Sommer will continue to add his 0.2¢ as the combination is golden!

Thanks for going to the effort!

Josh Schmitter

I agree completely, except that Coach always gives at least an even half dollar :)

Joshua Naterman
Coach Sommer said:
slizzardman on proper scaling said:
There are four GB WODs per week. You are not doing yourself any favors, if you try to wreck yourself everytime you work out.

Excellent point.

I also enjoyed the sound effects during your sets. Although your 2 to 3 breaths in between exercises seemed suspiciously more like 20! :wink:

Remember that this is a dynamic strength day rather than a basic strength day. Except for a few breaths in between exercises, one of the purposes of this workout is to essentially remain in nearly constant motion for the duration of each giant set.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

HAHAHA!!! You know, during the sprints I went so far past my 20-30m mark that it took me a little while to get back to the starting line! It's hard to stop quickly when you're nearly 230lbs and near top speed!

As for the other sets... yea. I'm out of shape lol! I was able to keep a pretty steady 30s between exercises, and I won't be moving forward with anything harder until I'm literally only taking a few breaths between the exercises.

I have to say, I absolutely love doing the WODs! They are really great, I noticed a big improvement from the last dynamic pull day.

A lot of people don't realize it, but even sticking with a steady format like I plan to do with the dynamic pull days for a while will build tremendous strength increases. I'll be happy when I'm conditioned enough to be in constant motion for the giant sets!