This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100806

Started by Coach Sommer, August 6, 2010 · 27 Replies · 3,509 Views

Coach Sommer

9mKyrPmmPt0

Perform the following:

3 sets of MU, 2 Bulgarian Dips, roll backward to BL, pull out to FL, MU, 2 Bulgarian Dips, roll backward to BL, pull out to FL

5x15 seconds Inverted Hang

5x2 Tempo PL Leans

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Strive to perform the MUs with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition.

2) Choose the most challenging BL & FL variations that you are capable of holding for a solid 5 seconds.

3) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

4) You should however rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

5) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

6) To perform PL Leans assume a pushup position with the XR adjusted to just off on the floor. Now keeping the elbows locked and the body completely straight, lean as far forward as possible into a correct PL position. Your feet will remain on the ground for the entire repetition.

7) Use a tempo of 42X for the PL Leans. This equates to a 4 second descent, followed by a 2 second pause at the bottom, then exploding as fast as possible into the ascent.

8 ) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of Inverted Hang and then move immediately to the PL Leans and then move immediately to the German Hang.

9) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

Guest

I loved this WOD. Scaled down to:

3 sets of leaning MU, 2 XR Dips, roll back into adv. tuck BL from standing (not from XR support), pull out to adv. tuck FL, repeat

5x15 seconds Inverted Hang

5x2 Tempo PL Leans

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finished the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions

Notes:

1) Next time I'll probably film my adv. tuck FL and BL as I have no idea how my execution is. Never tried them before but I figured I could try them now for the 5s holds since I can do 15s tuck FL/BL.

2) The PL leans on the XR were cool. I tried leaning forward as far as I could with rings turned out and my elbows locked. Needless to say, I couldn't lean as far as I can in a PL lean on the floor (with my feet on my parallettes) or even in a PPP on the floor.

Saber2

I need clarification on the PL leans, because when I see tempo with decent and ascent I am thinking its a pushup or do you mean. 4 seconds going into the lean, 1 second pause, and explode back to the rest position? Thanks for the help.

Guest

Saber, I did the following:

1) get into regular XR pushup position with arms straight

2) lean forward to PL lean

3) descend 4s into bottom support

4) pause 2s

5) straighten arms ('explode') towards top position of PL lean

This is how I read it and yes, it seems to be more of an XR PPP variation than a true (static) PL lean.

Saber2

Thanks, just wanted to make sure.

Guest

Well, this doesn't mean I did it the right way of course ;) but it felt right.

Joshua Naterman

It's basically a straight arm push up, when done with the tempo. You go from the push up position to as far back into the planche as you can hold for 2 seconds, and then back to the beginning.

Coach Sommer
slizzardman said:
It's basically a straight arm push up, when done with the tempo. You go from the push up position to as far back into the planche as you can hold for 2 seconds, and then back to the beginning.

Slizzardman is correct; during PL Leans the arms remain straight at all times. The movement occurs as the shoulders lean forward when starting a rep and then recover back to support at the end of each rep.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guest

Ahhhh, that makes sense. In that case I did 2 XR PPP instead of the PL leans. Will do better next time :)

Alvaro

3 sets of:

x2

false grip pull up( a bit stronger but tired from yesterday) , transition of MU + dip with legs supported at L shape, 2 bulgarian dips helped with one leg in L, back lever tuck( trying advanced tuck but not ready),FL tuck( the same as BL)

5x 15 sec holds

as Rx'd except planche lean. As it was with limited rom I performed 4(straight arms)

the german hangs are ( I think fully down) really hard but improving slowly.

Josh Schmitter

Didn't do yesterdays so I took a pinch from there.

3 rounds, 3-5m rest in between

3-20m wind sprints

3 negative pull ups

Ring strength 1 (w/out the muscle up or the roll from XR stand...basically just tuck tick tocks with inverted hang in between each hold)

...

Then did giant sets

5x15 Inverted

5x2 PL leans(on floor)

5x15 Germans(these felt hard, but my elbows felt 10x better than last time I did these...almost no bother at all)

2x10 Wall ext. = The good hurt.

Kenneth Manning

What a hell of a workout today. My biceps were actually a bit sore from yesterday's WOD (which is odd, my biceps rarely feel soreness) which made me a bit concerned about the MU's, but things went pretty well.

I scaled today's WOD in that I did the first 3 sets of the ring series resting for 10-30 seconds after the first FL before the second MU. I then did an additional 4 half-series with 2-3 min rest between each (total of 10 MU-bulg dips-back roll-BL-FL). I did the extra work because we have the weekend off and I'm still working on strengthening and improving my MU (trying to lessen the forward lean and piking of the hips - though I don't "kip," so that's a plus):

Today's WOD:

3 sets

MU-->2 bulgarian dips-->backward roll-->full BL x 5 sec -->half lay FL x 5, rest 10-30 seconds, repeat.

4 sets of the same above, but just once through, resting 2-3 min between each series. For these 4 sets I switched to adv tuck FL as in my half lay my arms were starting to bend.

5 giant sets of:

invert hang x 15 sec-->german hang x 15 sec, lower rings, then XR PL leans x 2 (tempo)

Planche leans felt great using the XR. I had been doing these for a while on the floor, but the rings, as usual, made this exercise infinitely harder.

Finished with 2x9 wall extensions. Yeah, I was really pushing myself to get the full 2 sets of 10 reps, but man, these just kill me. I worked them as hard as I could, but once my forearms were pulling off the wall, the sets were terminated.

My XR bulgarian dips have never felt stronger, were very solid during the series today. Awesome workout today, though I'm probably going to be feeling this one tomorrow....

gymgreg

Here is the ring series part of my WOD.

zFK0CkotM_U

Guest

Awesome work, Greg! I hope to reach your level once I'm, oh, 38-something (i.e., in about two years from now).

Saber2

Solid work Greg, your backwards roll looks so smooth. Good control. What is that you use on your wrist and hands?

Anyway I did the WOD today (Saturday)

3 sets: MU,2 Bulgarian Dips, Roll to Tuck/Adv Tuck BL, Roll out to Adv Tuck/Straddle Lever - Drop down and reset grip and repeat:

5x15s inverted hang

5x2 Tempo PL leans

5x~15s German hang (Grip is what stops me)

Finisher

5x15s False Grip hangs with feet on chair to control load. I got the idea from a crossfit video that I linked on Slizzardman's topic in Basic Strength.

I need to tape my rings because my grip is continually slipping. I should probably use chalk, but I have some grip tape from a couple of dumbells I made and have not used. Does anybody also find it difficult to maintain the false grip because the rings slide?

The MU were not strength oriented as much as they were skill oriented. My focus was on maintaining the false grip so my feet assisted a lot of the excercise. Good workout, just tired today but didn't want to miss the opportunity of training MU's.

gymgreg

Saber2: I use ring grips.

Y2EMG.jpg

Also I use loose chalk (stored in a velcro bouldering chalk bag to avoid the mess). Plenty of it!

And I don't recommend taping your rings. I found that when doing a ton of muscle ups and false grips on taped rings really destroys the skin because there is too much grip.

Chalk is the way to go.

Joshua Naterman

I did this WOD today, and it went horribly. I taped it, and I'll publish it, but I was extremely weak. Bad food, bad sleep, bad schedule all added up today. I couldn't even fit this in yesterday. Not exciting for me at all.

Guest

Sorry for going a little offtopic but I like the idea of using ring grips in order to improve my false grip - I find it really hard to maintain one because my hands just slide away on the rings. Is it correct to assume that a true false grip doesn't require full-out squeezing the rings, but rather 'hooking' your hand over the ring and maintaining enough pressure to keep your hands in place?

Anyway, what type of ring grips are recommended for recreational athletes? Do they come in different sizes or are they customizable?

Thanks!

gymgreg
biomieg said:
I find it really hard to maintain one because my hands just slide away on the rings.

That is probably because your wrist and forearm muscles are deficient.

A ring grip won't help you with that. On the contrary, I find that false grips with ring grips require more power.

I just use the grips for two reasons:

a) I broke several bones in both of my wrists and using grips helped me tremendously to start training again.

b) It is easy on your skin

Most people say (and I agree) that you don't need ring grips until you start doing hard dynamic movements.

It is just a personal preference.

biomieg said:
Is it correct to assume that a true false grip doesn't require full-out squeezing the rings, but rather 'hooking' your hand over the ring and maintaining enough pressure to keep your hands in place?

Yes.

biomieg said:
Anyway, what type of ring grips are recommended for recreational athletes? Do they come in different sizes or are they customizable?

Depending on what you want to do there are special grips for high bar, rings etc.

They come in different sizes, varying in length and leather thickness. Shops will have a sizing chart.

Look here for examples: http://www.gymsupply.com/grips.aspx

Blairbob

I don't recommend ring grips for rec athletes.

Biomieg, you can get grips in a variety of sizes. Deary Gymnastics Supply has a grip sizing chart you can look at. Grips are also in a pain during false grip till you break them in.

Greg, nice video, I'm impressed.

Hmm, maybe I should think about ring grips. My left hand has had a helluva time with my grip ever since I dislocated a few of the fingers (they are no longer straight at rest but work pretty much good enough except the grip can slip a bit at times).

Guest

Okay thanks guys, in that case I will forego the grips for now. I was under the assumption that my wrists and forearms weren't the limiting factor. Maybe they are, maybe it's just a technique thing. I think I'm going to add small doses of false grip hangs/pullups on the rest days, to get a better feel for the technique and to improve any inadequacies I may have in my wrist/forearm strength.

Apologies for going offtopic like this :)

Cole Dano
biomieg said:
Apologies for going offtopic like this :)

I found the discussion on ring grips educational.

ashita

greg , you should do one leg FL and not straddle , i never did the straddle variation and i can hold a full FL easily now.

I find the one leg is more easier than the straddle , especially when you have a lack of supleness , you looks like to be in this case.

The one leg is more close to the full and you progress more quiclky with it.

good luck

gymgreg
ashita said:

The one leg is more close to the full and you progress more quiclky with it.

Thanks for the input ashita.

If we are talking about one leg in 90/90 or half position then this might be the case.

I don't think the one legged(tucked) FL is closer to the full FL than straddle FL.

I did one legged FL before I moved on to straddle, and I found that now that the straddle FL gives me more bang for the buck.

Considering there are infinitely many progressions within each progression (for example varying your straddle or tuck by only a couple degrees), declaring one of them to be the magic pill, is like looking at only a tiny fraction of the bigger picture.

However I still incorporate various FL progressions into my workouts (including one legged stuff).

Joshua Naterman

When I worked up to the full FL a year ago I did the same as Ashita for the most part. I played with straddle, found it wasn't too bad, but I had a hard time with the hip extension. So, I practiced one leg at a time until it felt right and then I just pretended to stand on the far wall and WHAMMO! Full lay front lever.