This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100809

Started by Coach Sommer, August 9, 2010 · 12 Replies · 1,891 Views

Coach Sommer

L0mrC1c597c

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo ½ Reverse MU

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Korean Dips

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo 360 Pulls

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Curl/Dip variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Focus on maintaining completely locked, straight elbows at all times during the XR L-sits. You may adjust the position of the legs as necessary.

4) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets. Do Not Move immediately from one giant set to the next. Today's workout is meant to be a focus on basic strength; perform only one embedded static and it's subsequent exercise and then take your mandatory rest.

5) Use a tempo of 212 for the basic strength sets. For the pull-ups, this equates to a 2 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 2 second descent.

6) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary. For example, if you are unable to perform ½ Reverse MU, an excellent subsitution would be to get into an XR Shoulderstand and simply attempt to lower only as far into the descent as you are able to still curl back out of. You must however continue to be mindful of the correct tempo.

7) Add weight as necessary to the Korean Dips to make them very challenging for the 5 repetitions.

8 ) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Guest

Great workout!

I scaled down to the following:

Three rounds each of:

1 Embedded tuck BL + 5 Tempo Inverted Curls (once I get the XR shoulderstand down, I will try the suggested substition)

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo chair dips (can't do Korean dips at home and 3x5 XR dips are still out of my league for now)

1 Embedded Tuck FL + 5 Tempo Tuck 360 pulls

Finished the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

Saber2

I agree with biomeg great workout

Three sets of:

1 Embedded flat tuck BL/ One Legged BL + 5 tempo inverted chins

1 Embedded Xr L sit + 5 Tempo ring dips with 25lb weight vest (last set was 4 only)

1 Embedded Tuck/Flat Tuck/ One Legged Front Lever + 5 tempo tuck 360 pulls.

10 bridge walks (each rep was followed by a toe touch stretch, it feels really good when I do that)

This part should probably go on my log but I figure I would post it here. With the suggestion from Gymreg, I found that chalk makes a world of difference on the rings. I never notice it on the pullup bars so I didn't think it would be too different on the rings. With chalk holding the false grip is a lot more manageable (was going to say easier but that would be a poor choice of words) Yesterday and this morning I almost nailed the mu from a kneeling position (rings are still high so the kneeling works). I just need to work on the explosive portion to get a little higher. I feel this is now within my grasp by the end of the year. I am STOKED!!!! :lol:

Guest

Well done, Saber! I'm going to try the chalk as well.

Kenneth Manning

Agreed - chalk has become a necessity for me since I started using the BtGB program.

Today's WOD:

3 sets each

A1) Full BL + 5 tempo adv tuck reverse yewkis

A2) XR L sit + 5 tempo RTO dips (really really tried to turn the rings as close to perpendicular to my body as possible on these) - sets were 5, 5, (4+1)

A3) Adv tuck FL + 5 tempo 360 pulls --> first set done in pike/flat back, last 2 sets done in adv tuck. Though in both I had to bend my arms a little when beginning in the hang pulling to invert

10 bridge wall walks - these just seem to improve every time.

Guest

Re: 360 pulls - I noticed that the hardest part for me is not pulling out of the bottom positions but pulling through the inverted hang, even when tucked. That surprised me a bit! This is with straight arms throughout the ROM of course.

Alexander Moreen

Where would I add weight to for the Korean dips? I normally do feet with a belt or with a back pack to the back, but both of those seem like they would make the movement much harder to complete in terms of maintain the arch, or clearing the back respectively.

Josh Schmitter

After a new warm up did 5 sets of each...later read properly at 3 sets and this would have been much better for me.

1 embedded tuck BL(15s) + An-1 hold at bottom of chin(about 20s down to 14 at last set)

1 embedded XR L-sit(15s, legs under parallel) + alternating static holds at bottom and 90 chair dips(15s each)

1 embedded tuck FL(15s) + An-1 holds at top of pull and top of body row(these were 10s or less)

10 wall walks...these felt better.

Lavastine said:
Where would I add weight to for the Korean dips? I normally do feet with a belt or with a back pack to the back, but both of those seem like they would make the movement much harder to complete in terms of maintain the arch, or clearing the back respectively.

How bout backpack in the front?

Blairbob

Instead of doing the korean dips, just use a harder dip progression. Feet sounds best though.

Coach Sommer
Lavastine said:
Where would I add weight to for the Korean dips?

A weight vest is the most efficient method for adding weight to Korean Dips.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Stewart Whaley

Didn't have my rings at work, used straight bar and dip bars.

1 Embedded BL (straight bar) + 5 Tempo inverted hanging curls (on dip bars)

1 Embedded L-sit sets 1 and 2 from floor, set 3 dip bars + 5 Tempo dips. set 1 Korean, set 2 reverse grip straight bar, set 2 regular straight bar

1 Embedded FL (straight bar) + 5 Tempo (tucked back pulls on straight bar then tuck FL pulls)

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

Blairbob

Didn't have access to a gym today so I stopped in at a CF affiliate. I wanted to ask them if you could do this before but by the time the trainers got there, it was time to start the metcon wod. At that point, I had probably spent 90m riding roughly with a heavy pack (I was supposed to get on the train and move to my new city but missed it).

So I managed to take some whey protein with some carbs post a 30m metcon WOD of 3 rounds of 500m row, 30 box jumps@2', 25 back ext (I did GM with #45), and 20x205 DL.

Awhile after I was still able to do this WOD as I felt pretty fresh on the rings. However, I did struggle typically on the 3rd round of the giant sets with the FSP hold and the FBE work.

Did all the basic strength work. I think this made my FL work hard. 3x20s L-sit and 6x10 straddle-L.

Reverse MU from shoulderstand to hang with legs on strap. Fairly slow. 1st BL was a straddle from basket. 3rd was around 13s.

Did regular ring dips, generally 3 reps rest for 15-20s and 2 more. Not of great quality at top. Shoulda used a band but no PB around. Regular ring support that got tough in last 3s or so.

Generally 3 360pulls. I noticed on the 3rd pull from the german hang I started losing my grip a bit. I think my grip was taxed (all the DL and C&J work and PU yesterday). I do not believe oversized rings helped much. Something to be said about regulation width.

Still, it was nice to start up again. Wall presses weren't great though.

Alexander Moreen
Coach Sommer said:
Lavastine said:
Where would I add weight to for the Korean dips?

A weight vest is the most efficient method for adding weight to Korean Dips.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for this.

Ended up doing 3 sets of;

Adv tuck BL, 5 inverted curls(couldnt get the rings twisted around and high enough to end up in a shoulderstand though)

XR l-sit(legs better than 90, hands turned out), 5 korean dips+25(these are pretty scary, feels like you are gonna just swing right through and have your grip fall off the first couple times)

Straddle FL, 5 360 pulls, adv tuck both ways