This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100729

Started by Coach Sommer, July 29, 2010 · 19 Replies · 2,449 Views

Coach Sommer

IAGMcEoDbg0

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 PL Dips

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo Yewkis

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo Front Pulls

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier MPPr/MPPu variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Focus on maintaining completely locked, straight elbows at all times during the XR L-sits. You may adjust the position of the legs as necessary.

4) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

5) Use a tempo of 214 for the basic strength sets. For the pull-ups, this equates to a 2 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 4 second descent.

6) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary.

7) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Kenneth Manning

I assume the "PL dips" prescribed are the planche dips detailed on page 87 in BtGB book? Also, should all 3 sets of each exercise pairing be completed before moving on to the next? or in this case does the "giant set" mean to go through each FSP and FBE pairing one after the other and repeat 3 times?

Guest

I performed the following:

Warmup with regular pullups and pushups

Three sets each of:

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 3 XR Dips

1 Embedded Tuck BL + 3 Tempo Tuck Yewkis

1 Embedded Tuck FL + 3 Tempo Tuck Half Front Pulls

Finished with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

Notes: I interpreted 'perform three sets of each' as 3 sets of L-sit/dips - rest - 3 sets of BL/Yewkis - rest - 3 sets of FL/Front Pulls.

Saber2

Killroy,

The way I understand it is when coach says 3 sets you do all the sets of one before progressing to the next. Usually he will say 3 rounds if it is going to be back to back. Again this is the way I have come to understand it. I think somebody also posted this about a month back on the WOD. Hope this helps.

Kenneth Manning

Thanks guys, that's the way I approached it this morning and I guess I'll go with straight sets unless the WOD calls for "rounds." Anyway, today's workout, wow, this was a tough one. I may have been a little worn from Tuesday's workout, but I still gave a good effort.

A) XR L sit x 15 sec x 3 sets -- these were more solid than ever today. Legs were parallel or slightly above for all sets, now I have to work on pulling the rings towards my hips and really straightening out my back

PL dips -- ok, first set began in a tuck and performed 5 reps, though I noticed my hips were sagging going into the planche. Just not strong enough to do these yet. So... I performed 2 more sets in a sequence that looked like:

PB dip (legs tucked) --> at top of movement lean into a tuck planche --> then lowered in what I hope looked like a PL dip negative. 2x5 (still very tough, last 2 reps of each set hips were definitely below shoulder height). Performing each set of these right after a 15 sec XR l sit really made it tough....

B) BL x 13 sec, (8+7 sec), moved to adv tuck BL x 15 sec

tuck yewkis 5, 5, 4+1

C) adv tuck FL 3 x 15 seconds

screwed up on the FBE following the embedded static, accidentally did FL pulls (oops!) 5, (3+2), (2+2+1 -- biceps toast!)

Bridge wall walks: moved my feet out another 6 inches vs last time and did all 10 head to floor. Feeling better every workout.

Joshua Naterman
4) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

This tells me that we are intended to do 3 rounds, or giant sets. I don't know for sure, but I know our last basic day was in giant sets or "rounds" as we think of them.

Razz

I think a giant set is just the l-sit+dips..also known as superset this would equal 9 'giant sets' in the workout. otherwise the description should say rounds and not sets imo.

Joshua Naterman

It could be! But, looking at the work, they are all hitting fairly different muscle groups and movements, not much different from the dynamic pull day sequence. I don't see either approach really being wrong, but whether it's intentional or not this sequence would lend itself well to the "rounds" concept.

Mats Trane

Hi

I would like to add Handstand work to this wod. For example 1 minut wallhandstand + HSP. Would this be ok or should I keep Handstand work on seperate days?

Josh Schmitter

Did a lot of dipping iso's yesterday so I left them alone today.

Did 3 15s XR L-sits...legs actually parallel for the 1st 2.

3 Adv. Back levers + almost max iso hold at top of chin

3 FL tuck + almost max iso at close to bottom of chin(amazed at how much I felt this in my abs as I contracted the shoulder blades)

10 wall walks with a short breather after 5.

I'm looking to change up my workout format to possibly m/w/f, still doing WOD's but with a lot more constant work subbed in for pulling/dipping especially. We'll see what happens.

Joshua Naterman

Great WOD! I did these as 3 rounds, with 20-30s between static and FBE, 1 minute between supersets and 2 minutes between giant sets.

Fantastic! The whole workout was on the rings, since I don't have my parallel bars handy right now.

XR L-sit: low straight, low straight, low bent.

Planche dips: 5x bulgarian dip + tuck planche, 4xbulgarian dip + tuck planche, 4xbulgarian dip + tuck planche.

1 min rest

XR BL: tuck for all 3! No pain! Yay!

Tuck Yewkis: 5, 5, 4.

1 min rest first 2 rounds, 2 min rest 3rd round

XR FL: advanced tuck for all three!

Front pulls: Flat tuck x 5, tuck x 4, tuck x 3+1.

Wow, this was definitely a tough workout but a great one! I feel fantastic!

Guest

... I felt fantastic (sort of) yesterday, now I just feel sore... ;)

Alvaro

I did them as rounds as I didn´t pay attention (always in a hurry :( ). Boy It is tiring!. I run out of time so last set of FL+ pulls existed no more, also I guy of the gym was looking my XR and ask me to try them. He is around 50 y/o and was telling me how to do a mucle-up , he performed one very smoothly! but his support was not so good, great strength btw .

3X:

XR L sit 15 seg + 5 planche dips (super tuck and not so strong but improving a bit)

BL 15 seg + 3 yewkis

FL 15 seg(tuck)+ 3 neg inverted hang to FL to normal hang (next time I´ll try half front pulls)

9 bridge wall walks.

What I have noticed is that my work capacity has at least doubled (now when I finish my work outs I can still work on handstands or some thing else). :D

Coach Sommer
killroy70 said:
PB dip (legs tucked) --> at top of movement lean into a tuck planche --> then lowered in what I hope looked like a PL dip negative.

Very good substitution.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

In this format, the 'giant set' referrs to an individual embedded static and its subsequent FBE. Rest should be taken after each of these sets.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Saber2

Today I attempted this and it felt good as a workout just disappointed in my lack of general strength.

I did 3 sets of each excercise before moving on to the other

15s XR L sit + 5 XR Planche Dips (Tried to planche but I think it was just dips with my knees tucked to my chest)

15s Front Lever + 5 Tuck Yewkis

15s Back Lever + 5 Front Lever Pulls (Whoops, Front Pulls)

10 Bridge wall walks. Each rep is followed by a toe touch for stretching purposes.

I did not do tempo because I can just do these as regular sets meaning I can't slow down. I was happy with FL Pulls because normally I swing a lot more.

On a side note I am not to pleased with my statics. What I think I am gonna do from now on is at the end of the workout finish off with 1 set of holds for max time (Sadly this isn't that long for me). I figure this would not cause me to overtrain since it is only one set with form as my goal rather than max time. I feel this might be important as a skill developing excercise. I am open to input on my theory, because some of you may have been or are in the same boat. Thanks

Coach Sommer
Saber2 said:
... What I think I am gonna do from now on is at the end of the workout finish off with 1 set of holds for max time (Sadly this isn't that long for me). I figure this would not cause me to overtrain since it is only one set with form as my goal rather than max time ...

This is incorrect. You will make more progress by inserting the extra FSP work into your warmup. And under no circumstances do I recommend that someone at your level works maximum hold FSP. This approach is a guaranteed path to injury for you.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

Absolutely, and beyond the issue of injury there's the issue of CNS fatigue. Any time you do something to your absolute limit it is significantly more draining than when you stop even 5% before your limit. There is a big difference, and all of Saber's training will suffer from trying to max 4 days a week.

So Saber, scale back the FSP to where you can do 10-15s work sets without straining too hard and just do 3 sets each workout for warm up until you no longer feel tired from that. Then you can add in a 4th set, and at that point you'll be close to the 60s total that Coach recommends. You have to work with your body, and if you're weak then you're weak! That will change with consistent practice, so don't worry about it!

How do you think I felt when I couldn't even do advanced frog stand properly? I felt like I was a baby. But I've stuck with it and now 40s sets with perfectly straight arms don't even mess with my elbows, and I can actually start back on BL training with no elbow problems! It has taken me about 4 months of consistent, very low level work to get to where I am, and it is paying off quite nicely. That's just how it is. If you're not happy with your statics, that's a good thing! Use that dissatisfaction to focus yourself on consistency, not some foolish attempt to prove your manhood.

Ryan Libke

When incorporating static work into the warm-up, where might it be placed relative to the other elements? That is, I usually start with something to get the heart rate up a bit, like jumping rope, jumping jacks, or locomotion drills, etc., and then do some mobility work and light strength work like a few push-ups, bodyweight squats, etc. Where would be a good place to put warm-up statics, as it were, before the presribed or chosen strength work begins?

Joshua Naterman

I find that integrating my statics with my mobility stuff allows me to rest without wasting much time. A short jog or jump rope session to get things heated up, maybe a few light repetitions of some easy FBE and then I start my statics, and I'll do arm swings, windmills, and other parts of the warm up we were shown at the seminar inbetween holds when I feel like I need more of a rest than just doing different statics. This generally lets me do my warm up in less than 20-25 minutes while not burning myself out before the workout. I also sometimes do not do a full 60s of each static, but I always do at least 30-40s. It depends very heavily on how I feel. I am making good progress so I feel like this approach is very good. Most of the time I DO get the 60s with no problem.