This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100820

Started by Coach Sommer, August 20, 2010 · 29 Replies · 3,247 Views

Coach Sommer

RwnlIPq_7A4

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

5 Clapping Pull-ups

6 FL Circle Pulls

5 – 360 Pulls

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Perform the Clapping Pull-ups immediately after the shuttle run.

4) The clap in the Clapping Pull-ups should occur with the chin above the bar.

5) Move immediately from the Clapping Pull-ups to the FL Circle Pulls and then immediately to the 360s.

6) If the 360s are too difficult, you may substitute a 30 second German Hang.

7) If the Clapping Pull-ups and FL Circle Pulls are too easy, please increase the resistance using a weighted vest for the Clapping Pull-ups and weights hung from the ankles for the FL Circle Pulls.

8 ) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

SorenPA

Hmm

What is the difference between FL pulls, and FL circle pulls ? The FL pulls, would be the same as the first part of a 360 pull, so I guess that FL circle pulls is different somehow. Is it in the book ? I can't remember and is at work atm. Won't get home before WOD to read it.

The WOD looks tough with limited rest periods. I really ain't used to that :)

gymgreg

Front Lever Pulls are not the same as the first part of 360 pulls.

See here for a comparison:

pwCv1Yjb8MI

For Front Lever Circle Pulls, instead of your feet going in a straight line up and down (as in FL Pulls), envision a big circle in front of you and trace it with your feet, while doing FL Pulls.

Cole Dano
gymgreg said:
Front Lever Pulls are not the same as the first part of 360 pulls.

See here for a comparison:

pwCv1Yjb8MI

For Front Lever Circle Pulls, instead of your feet going in a straight line up and down (as in FL Pulls), envision a big circle in front of you and trace it with your feet, while doing FL Pulls.

Sorry GG, i still don't quite get it, a circle around the bar? Or kind of a kip towards inverted hang and back around the other way like a big semi circle? Something else altogether?

Mats Trane

Hi all

Been doing the WODs for a couple of weeks now and I´m realy impressed! They are so well balanced!

Wouldn´t be fun if Coach could after a cycle (8 weeks? of wods) give us a "test" to see how our progressions are doing?

After all the goal of these wods must not only be to get strong and well trained but be able to make new skills (like FL, BL, press to handstand etc). We could also make videos and post them here.

gymgreg

I hope this helps.

Not perfect, but you get the idea.

Try to not to bend your hip. Straighten your arms in the FL postiion.

f4SLAeNyRsE

nf46

This was brutal :shock: !!! Easily the toughest of the three WODs I have done so far, and the others were pretty tough. I think I'll need the weekend to rest my forearms more than anything else, they are screaming!

I did 4 rounds of:

60secs fast pace on the crosstrainer

5 kipping pullups

6 negative front pulls- 5 and 4 on the last 2 rounds

5 tuck tick-tocks - 4 on both of the last rounds

By the way, how come there is no prehab at the end of today's WOD?

Thanks for any answers in advance,

Nick F

Cole Dano

Doah! Thanks GG!

SorenPA

Thanks for the vid on FL circle pulls. Looks pretty nasty. Gotta try them out in an hour or so :) Will post results on todays WOD later (looks tough!)

Joshua Naterman
cdx said:
Hi all

Been doing the WODs for a couple of weeks now and I´m realy impressed! They are so well balanced!

Wouldn´t be fun if Coach could after a cycle (8 weeks? of wods) give us a "test" to see how our progressions are doing?

After all the goal of these wods must not only be to get strong and well trained but be able to make new skills (like FL, BL, press to handstand etc). We could also make videos and post them here.

If you notice, at the end of the WOD cycle there are a few extra days off. That's when you want to do any testing. Doing your testing every other month would be just about right, although to be perfectly honest I think that how you feel during your WODs is going to tell you just as much, without the extra effort of testing so many things separately. Your first set will tell you whether it's easy enough to consider moving up a progression, and the second set will tell you right away if that next progression you are trying (assuming that's what you do with the second set) is too much for right now or not!

Newguy

Done!!! As always (well for the last 2 workouts anyways :P ) even scaled down this was brutal!

Wheelson

hokay today was surprising in multiple ways

-for starters I found out I can do clapping pull ups who knew? :D

-secondly I realized when deprived of oxygen my strength feats suffer pretty severely most notably the 360 degree pulls, which I can normally do in advanced tuck as it's own entity.

ok so I did 4 rounds of

60 second shuttle run I made sure to give my all an all four of these

5 clapping pullups

the first set I did the front lever circles in adv tuck. the next three sets I just did 6 reps of advanced tuck front lever pulls

then I finished the round with 5 tuck 360 degree pulls (1st round I did advanced tuck)

I had to take one or two pauses in the third and fourth rounds

Cody Clark

Regular Pullups are a good scale down for a clapping pullup right or should I scale it down with something more explosive like a jumping clap pull up or something like that.

Wheelson
Cody Clark said:
Regular Pullups are a good scale down for a clapping pullup right or should I scale it down with something more explosive like a jumping clap pull up or something like that.

pullups are good i'd just shoot for a quick explosive pull and slow descent

Kenneth Manning

Great way to end the training week...

Today's WOD:

4 rounds

60 sec stationary bike sprint (resistance up as high as I can manage for 60 sec of sprint work)

5 clapping pullups -- felt very good all 4 rounds

6 adv tuck FL pulls -- tested out adv tuck FL circle pulls, but getting 4 sets of 6 with no rest would have been....impossible.

5 360 pulls -- did first 2 sets in flat back/pike, final 2 sets in adv tuck -- ending each round with these was BRUTAL.

Looking forward to tomorrow working on some forward rolls to MU as well as trying to figure out the whole XR shoulder stand...

Newguy

Oh and just to let you know coach,

I will be GREATLY enjoying the next 2 days of rest.

Just thought you should know that :D

The guy who is about to Chill for the weekend

Saber2

This felt great!!!

60s Jump roping

5 False Grip Pullups - No access to a bar today so I did everything on the rings. I can't clap on them yet.

6 FL Circle Pulls - These were much tougher than I thought

5,5,4,4 tuck 360 pulls. On the last two sets I struggled to get inverted so ended on that note.

The jump roping also felt good on the back. Every jump I could feel the muscles in the back playing their role. I think it was due to fatigue from the working sets. Nonetheless it felt really good.

Thanks Coach!

Tarun Suri

2nd round, 2nd rep of clapping pullups, I missed my grip's landing and tore my hand open. At the very least this happened at the end of my first week of GB WoDs which I'm getting phenomenal results from (that and now going paleo, haven't been sore one day). Hopefully this will heal up well during the weekend and I can get back to the rings next week. I hope monday is a leg day.

PS: my metcon's terrible.

Alexander Moreen

I'm not sure I understand. What did you tear your hand on?

Joshua Naterman
Cody Clark said:
Regular Pullups are a good scale down for a clapping pullup right or should I scale it down with something more explosive like a jumping clap pull up or something like that.

The best way to scale this would be to first just do explosive pull ups where your hands come off the bar but stay right above it without attempting to clap. If that is too hard for now, just do the pull ups as fast as you can. Remember that THIS workout is about moving your bodyweight as fast as possible. It's not about extra reps or trying to emulate the clap. Even if regular speed pull ups is all you can do, that's what you do! You will soon be strong and powerful enough to do the clapping pull ups with no problem.

Joshua Naterman

Here's my WOD. I meant to get this up Friday but some crazy weather up in the mountains knocked out the computer up there.

4x 30-40s shuttle runs

4 x 5 clapping pull ups

5 FL pulls full lay, 2 full lay and 4 adv tuck, 2 full lay and 4 adv tuck, 6 adv tuck.

2x 5 360 pulls, 1x 30s German Hang. Time pretty much ran out and I was tired from a lack of sleep and food.

A great workout!

HAHAHA... oops. I linked the wrong video. The WOD is uploading and will be linked when the upload is finished.

zNs5QSnFohE

This was a quick video I made after the WOD to help out a guy who was trying to figure out how to do a very slow muscle up on a straight bar.

Zpg83WeLhQI

Tarun Suri
Lavastine said:
I'm not sure I understand. What did you tear your hand on?

I didn't get enough hight on one of the pulls and when I landed I guess I was lower than expected and wasn't able to decelerate my descent enough. So what happened was I gripped hard but fell too fast which caused a lot of friction between my hand and the bar. It ripped a callus which quite a bit of the skin underneath. I'll be sure to scale it lower next time and do jumping pullups.

Joshua Naterman

That's one of the lesser reasons, but still a really good one, that I do my straight bar pull ups with my fingers. I never have those problems. The main reason is that using only the fingers builds a ton of wrist flexor strength.

Tarun Suri
slizzardman said:
That's one of the lesser reasons, but still a really good one, that I do my straight bar pull ups with my fingers. I never have those problems. The main reason is that using only the fingers builds a ton of wrist flexor strength.

Interesting, I never thought about doing that. So you were able to successfully implement that during your clapping pullups WoD video or only during regular pullup sessions? Finally, do you see a reduction in the maximum number of reps when using that method?

Joshua Naterman
RandomHavoc said:

Interesting, I never thought about doing that. So you were able to successfully implement that during your clapping pullups WoD video or only during regular pullup sessions? Finally, do you see a reduction in the maximum number of reps when using that method?

Oh yea, at first it is very tough and I was only be able to do about half my pull up volume with fingers only before having to switch to the old hand grip. It took me about a month to transition over completely, and I absolutely notice no difference anymore, unless you count my hands not hurting from callouses getting bunched up after lots of reps.

I do this for clapping pull ups as well as regular. You can see this in the WOD video! Sometimes when I get tired I'll use the hand grip, but it never really happens hardly at all.