This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100819

Started by Coach Sommer, August 19, 2010 · 28 Replies · 3,354 Views

Coach Sommer

208gsUy9S-c

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo L Chin-ups

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Elevated HSPU

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo Russian Leg Lifts

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Chin/HSPU variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

4) Use a tempo of 313 for the basic strength sets. This equates to a 3 second descent, followed by a 1 second pause at the bottom, then a controlled 3 second ascent.

5) Add weight as necessary to the any of the exercises to make them very challenging for the five repetitions.

6) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary. In the case of the Elevated HSPU, the degree of elevation you use, or do not use, will greatly influence the intensity of this movement.

7) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

nf46

Looks pretty tough!!! Maybe I've missed this somewhere, but how are the embedded statics worked? Do you use the sample lists of embedded training cycles in the back of BtGB to choose an appropriately challenging entry into each position? Or have I misunderstood completely (this is only my second WOD and my poor tired brain is still recovering from the shock of the first one :oops: )

As always, thanks for any answers in advance :)

Nick F

Cole Dano

As i've understood it we're just talking about using a movement to get to the static.

For example with a BL you could just reach your arms behind you to low hanging rings and go straight to the BL so there is no movement to get there, this is non-embedded. But if you go through a pull to get there you've 'embedded' and you can make the movement as much as you want maybe a straight arm pull to inverted hang.

You can pretty much find a way to do this with any static, and most of the times its pretty natural, because you have to get into the static somehow anyway.

Anyway if this is only your second WOD don't sweat it too much, give yourself some time to get the hang of how to scale them.

Tarun Suri

Question: Is there a preference to doing bar L chin ups, or ring L chin ups?

Saber2

If I am not mistaken rings will be tougher because the rings will move in whatever direction force is applied. Also it forces you to keep your arms in a chin up position where as a bar is stationary and does the work for you. The way I choose between rings or bar is simply weather I can perform the excercise on the rings or not lol.

Joshua Naterman
nf46 said:
Looks pretty tough!!! Maybe I've missed this somewhere, but how are the embedded statics worked? Do you use the sample lists of embedded training cycles in the back of BtGB to choose an appropriately challenging entry into each position? Or have I misunderstood completely (this is only my second WOD and my poor tired brain is still recovering from the shock of the first one :oops: )

As always, thanks for any answers in advance :)

Nick F

Hey Nick! Welcome to the WODs!

Embedded is like a superset. You do your static and then immediately you do the exercise paired with it. For example: 15s German hang (as a beginning BL progression if you can't hold a 15s tuck) followed immediately by 5 regular chin ups at the tempo specified. That's if you can not do the L-chins. If you can do it as prescribed, you'd do something like 15s tuck BL and then immediately do 5 L chins at the given tempo.

EDIT: Embedded statics mean you move into the FSP from a beginning position and eventually you exit the FSP as well instead of just dropping out. Like with the BL you could start from inverted hang and lower down to BL and hold for 15s, then continue to lower down to German hang, hold that for a second, and then dismount. That would be a fairly easy version. Later on you could start off in German hang, go to BL, and then go to inverted hang at the end. That would be far more difficult.

In that case, the static BL is embedded in the lowering from inverted hang to German hang for the easier version, and the BL is embedded in rising up from German hang to inverted hang for the hard version.

There are examples of how to do progressively embed all the statics near the beginning of the "Program Design" chapter of BtGB.

You then perform this embedded static as part of a superset with a FBE. I don't know how I missed that since it is so clearly written in the book, but I did. Sorry!

Cole Dano
slizzardman said:
nf46 said:
Looks pretty tough!!! Maybe I've missed this somewhere, but how are the embedded statics worked? Do you use the sample lists of embedded training cycles in the back of BtGB to choose an appropriately challenging entry into each position? Or have I misunderstood completely (this is only my second WOD and my poor tired brain is still recovering from the shock of the first one :oops: )

As always, thanks for any answers in advance :)

Nick F

Hey Nick! Welcome to the WODs!

Embedded is like a superset. You do your static and then immediately you do the exercise paired with it. For example: 15s German hang (as a beginning BL progression if you can't hold a 15s tuck) followed immediately by 5 regular chin ups at the tempo specified. That's if you can not do the L-chins. If you can do it as prescribed, you'd do something like 15s tuck BL and then immediately do 5 L chins at the given tempo.

I'm slightly confused!? I see my earlier explanation is off.

And your explanation makes sense except one thing, what is immediately?

In other words say i did the XR-L sit on rings but the HSPUs on the XF then there will be a small break no matter what. In many of the WODs it seems to require some kind of apparatus change, or have i lost the plot again?

Razz
slizzardman said:
nf46 said:
Looks pretty tough!!! Maybe I've missed this somewhere, but how are the embedded statics worked? Do you use the sample lists of embedded training cycles in the back of BtGB to choose an appropriately challenging entry into each position? Or have I misunderstood completely (this is only my second WOD and my poor tired brain is still recovering from the shock of the first one :oops: )

As always, thanks for any answers in advance :)

Nick F

Hey Nick! Welcome to the WODs!

Embedded is like a superset. You do your static and then immediately you do the exercise paired with it. For example: 15s German hang (as a beginning BL progression if you can't hold a 15s tuck) followed immediately by 5 regular chin ups at the tempo specified. That's if you can not do the L-chins. If you can do it as prescribed, you'd do something like 15s tuck BL and then immediately do 5 L chins at the given tempo.

Slizzardman I think you're wrong. Embedded (I think) is doing the static within a sequence of dynamic movements. For example an embedded back lever could be "german hang--> pull to inverted hang--> lower to back lever hold-->pull out to inverted hang" Not bothered to check the book if you or me is correct though :P

Joshua Naterman
Coach Sommer said:
3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

I'm not wrong. You do your static, you rest if you feel you need to (the rest is not required per se, but for many it will be necessary for a while), and you do the paired exercise listed in the WOD.

Good looking out lol! I just remember when this came up about a month ago, and Coach had to step in and set us all straight! :lol:

Edit: I definitely agree that the terminology can be confusing, but that's what Coach uses and he likes it, so that's what we need to remember!

Final Edit: You're right, the static part of the superset is embedded into another movement. I corrected my first post! I don't know how the HECK I missed that!!! I literally just didn't see it or remember that being there, but I'm looking at the words right now and doing the face palm!

Cole Dano

Razz that is exactly what the book says, but Slizz was at the seminar, and i have to assume that he learned that embedded means something different in this context.

Hopefully Coach will give a comment as now i'm all confused.

Razz
Coach Sommer said:
3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

I believe this confirms it, first you do the embedded static in the way I explained it and then the paired dynamic exercise. If that's not it there's no reason to put the word embedded there.

Coach Sommer

You are both correct.

1) An Embedded Static designates that over time you should be using progressively more difficult entries into your FSP. This is quite different from simply entering a particular FSP position haphazardly.

2) This particular basic strength workout is a pairing of FSP & FBE work; of which Embedded FSP are the specified FSP.

3) As mentioned in the GB WOD notes for this workout, there should be 10-20 sec, or 2-3 breaths, between the FSP & FBE work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cole Dano

Thanks for the quick reply and clearing things up Coach!

Joshua Naterman
Coach Sommer said:
You are both correct.

1) An Embedded Static designates that over time you should be using progressively more difficult entries into your FSP. This is quite different from simply entering a particular FSP position haphazardly.

2) This particular basic strength workout is a pairing of FSP & FBE work; of which Embedded FSP are the specified FSP.

3) As mentioned in the GB WOD notes for this workout, there should be 10-20 sec, or 2-3 breaths, between the FSP & FBE work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Aha! That makes sense. So over time it almost becomes like a mini-ring strength, but it is always so easy (relatively speaking) that it doesn't really tire you out. So at first I may just lower from inverted hang into BL, then maybe inverted hang to German hang to BL a few months down the line if it's easy enough for me, and then maybe even further down the line I would start at ring support, roll backwards into German hang, and then rise back up to BL. Is that the right line of thinking?

SorenPA

This is what i did and how I under stood todays WOD

Warmed up with the usual 50% FSPs.

3 sets of:

German Hang -> full lay BL hold 15 sec -> German Hang -> 10-20 sec rest -> 5 x L-sitted Chin-ups -> 2 min rest

3 sets of:

L-sit 15 sec -> 10-20 sec rest -> 5 x Wall HSPU (can't do elevated for 5 reps) -> 2 min rest

3 sets of:

L hang -> adv tuck (90/90) FL 15 sec hold -> 10-20 sec rest -> 5 RLL (last 3 reps was only half tho).

Finished with 5x bridge wall walks. I got about 70 down :)

Stewart Whaley

warm-up

3x5 chinups

3x1 handstand holds

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL (adv tuck x2, tuck x1) + 5 Tempo L Chin-ups

1 Embedded XR below parallel L-sit + 5 Tempo less than full ROM HeSPUs

1 Embedded FL (adv tuck x2 / tuck x 1) + 5 Tempo knee raises

used wrist straps on last 2 FL's b/c grip

10 Bridge Wall Walks

Joshua Naterman
Razz said:
Coach Sommer said:
3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

I believe this confirms it, first you do the embedded static in the way I explained it and then the paired dynamic exercise. If that's not it there's no reason to put the word embedded there.

I agree now. Mr. Brady, what I described would be the first step in embedded work, but clearly we are meant to slowly make the transition into the static more difficult so that we develop the skill of moving INTO the position from a different starting point, and the strength that goes with that skill.

As for immediately, that's pretty much meant as "as soon as possible" but like I said you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT have to skip the rest. Unless your conditioning is pretty darn good skipping the rest is going to mess up your work sets for the FBE, and sometimes you can't transition into it without getting off anyways! Besides, 10 seconds is practically an eye blink. Its like 2-3 breaths.

I'm glad we have this more cleared up lol! Sorry for the misunderstandings everyone! I was confused by the embedded concept. The actual static should be embedded in an entry and exit movement as soon as possible. So inverted hang -> 15s BL -> German hang to dismount would probably be the simplest place to start.

Cole Dano

No worries Slizz, I'm glad it came up as wasn't 100% confident that it meant what i thought. Now its clear.

Today's WOD

messed up the general instructions and did it round robin rather than individual sets.

Time was a factor today, so i didn't make it too hard.

3 rounds

embeded BL tuck + 5 bent leg chins (last set bent pos to straight leg negs)

XR L- sit 5 partial ROM HeSPu

embeded FL tuck + bent leg lifts to straighten over head (last set with straight leg negs)

I liked the Russian leg lifts, though i didn't give them my all as it doesn't seem they come up that often i think its the first time i've done them.

Joshua Naterman

Yea, me too. It's always good to be embarrassed by mistakes like that lol! It makes me pay even more attention to detail. I still can't figure out how I missed that being in the book, I mean it's RIGHT THERE.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

Did these "round" style, 3 rounds

A1) embedded full BL x 15 sec + tempo L chins x 5 (last set of 5 legs were dropping a bit below parallel - some nice quad cramps!)

A2) XR L sit x 15 sec + 5 tempo feet supported** elevated HSPUs 5,5,5

A3) adv tuck FL x 15 sec + 5 tempo HLL-half, tuck pull to top*** 5,5,5

10 bridge wall walks

**I figure I'd probably benefit from doing some full ROM HSPU reps instead of sticking with HeSPU's, I used a pair of milk crates (plenty of height to get hands to shoulders) and these felt great. Though I can do a set of 5 (max) HeSPU's, going hands to shoulders really shows that HeSPUs are just a half rep! I've got a loooong way to go....

***I don't have stall bars or anything comparable, so russian leg lifts were out. So, I did an standard HLL, bringing legs up to parallel, and then tucked my legs and brought my knees up to the bar.

By the way, the discussion on "embedded statics" was great to read, as I was a bit confused as well. Slizz, I just grabbed my book and read about embedded statics in the programming section - I apparently missed it too! I've always enter into my FSPs using this method, but never bothered to increase the degree of difficulty. Like today, for BL, it was simply a tuck hang pull to invert lower to back lever, down to german hang and release. Next time I'll probably go XR support -->back roll-->invert-->BL-->german hang.

Samuel Carr

How long are we supposed to hold the embedded statics for? Is it the same 50% max hold thing like we do for FSPs during warm-up?

Alexander Moreen

Since the reason a L- chin up is harder than a regular chin up is because of the leverage trying to rotate you forward, where would you put weight on them? The legs seems obvious, but it would be difficult to add much like that. If I do backpack or dip belt wouldnt that counteract the leverage disadvantage from having my legs in L? Since it would in essence be as if my legs weighed the same while my upper body would be essentially 100 lbs heavier or whatever I add?

Joshua Naterman

You would want to use a weighted vest to weight the pull ups and elevated HSPU. Ankle weights would be for RLL or HLL variations, and if you're super-dooperman then waist belt AND ankle weights.

My WOD:

FSP warm up

chin up warm up

3 rounds of:

hang, backward roll into 15s tuck XR BL(mine is a bit low, I'm not quite ready for the proper hip height but my elbows feel just fine), lower to German hang and dismount. 20s rest, then 5 tempo XR L Chin ups.

1 minute rest (2 minutes before 3rd round)

XR support to 15s XR bent leg L sit, lower down to support, dismount, 20s rest, 5 tempo FX HeSPU. That's the first time I've done even 1 set of 5 HeSPU at this tempo!!! Round 2 was 3" head elevation and round 3 was head to floor again, 5 reps each round!

1 minute rest (2 minutes before 3rd round)

XR support to negative muscle up to 15s straddle FL, pull to top of pull up, dismount, rest 20s, 5 tempo HLL to L. My straddle was a little bit too high because I was wearing jeans and I just couldn't stretch out properly. Second and 3rd rounds were in 90 90 advanced tuck.

1 minute rest

Great WOD!

I really wanted to video this, but I am busy setting up a non-profit and simply didn't have the time due to all the planning and whatnot going on.

Graham Smith

The Russian leg lifts put a fair strain on my shoulders. Is it better to keep straight arms and just lift the legs as high as possible (which in my case won't be much higher than an L :| ) or should I work them with a bent arm in order to be able to do the full rising movement with my abs?

I hope this question makes sense.

nf46

Glad we cleared the whole "embedded" issue up guys, thanks for all the useful replies.

Here's what I did:

warmup: FSPs, wrists etc.

3 sets of: german hang -> tuck back lever(15 seconds) -> inverted hang + 5 pullups

3 sets of: 15 second support(can't do XR l-sit so did support rather than other l-sit variations- anyone know if this is right?)+5 partial HeSPU

3 sets of: inverted hang -> tuck front lever(15 seconds) -> inverted hang + 5 HLLs to L

5 bridge wall walks

Nick F