This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

The AngloHelvetian's training log

Started by kevinrohrbach, November 5, 2010 · 16 Replies · 1,831 Views

kevinrohrbach

Motivation

Since I seem to be spending more and more time on these forums, I decided to create my own training log. In doing this I hope to give myself some additional motivation by public justification. So, in part, I'm hoping that people will maybe critique my methods and reasonings and I'm hoping to visualise my own path to myself, in a way.

I started dabbling in the WODs on the 11th of October getting two workouts in in that week. The following week I increased to three WODs and was going to increase to the full four WODs the week after that. Sadly, a seminar I was attending that week interfered with my doing WODs and I only managed to include one in that weeks schedule. So, on the 1st of this month I finally committed to following the WODs in full.

At this point, after one full week of WODs, I'm rather shocked at how poor my conditioning turned out to be. I'd always imagined myself as being reasonably in shape, given my background. As it turns out my current strengths, if any, seem to lie more in the fields of low level endurance and running in general. The first week of WODs have already shown me some severe deficiencies which I plan to be working on in the near future. So, all that said about my motivation, here's my:

Background

Throughout my growing years I never really had to work hard for anything physical. I may have seldom been top of class in any single discipline, but often I'd average the highest score over all. I lost my love for ball games and team sports in general at the early age of seven, a shocking discovery for someone half English. I probably just noticed that I'm not good with balls. But, being a lazy sod anyway I didn't really worry about this since I'd much preferred to lie in bed with a good book than go out and play—a problem exacerbated by my not really having many friends since we (my family) moved a lot.

The first kind of sport I really got into was martial arts at the age of 13. I started out with Tae Kwon Do after one of our moves to England and soon discovered that I had somewhat of a talent for it, doing the first two certifications in one after just a couple of months of training. But we soon moved back to Switzerland and I had a hard time finding a good TKD club in the area we lived in. Because of this I decided to switch styles and took up Wing Chun which I kept up for the following three years, again fast-tracking through exams. As such it's a bit of a shame that I discovered rock climbing. I took to it immediately and was soon spotted by the regional talent scouts and singled out for competition training. After about nine months I was climbing about a 7c+ which let to my first ever sports "injury". I increasingly woke up in the morning with balled fists and had to physically pry my hands open before being able to do anything. This was probably down to severe muscle imbalance in my lower arms and some beginning tendon/band problems in my hands—naturally I pulled the emergency brake and put a temporary stop to my climbing. Sadly, after that, I never got back to my old levels of performance. But I did keep up climbing and bouldering for the ensuing years.

Right until I discovered kayaking three years ago. Bouldering only really features as a form of off-season training now. I started kayaking in August 2007 and was running class IV whitewater the following spring. The same spring I did my national raft guide certification and started working for a kayak school / raft company. The following year I did my national youth instructor certification and this last summer I did my ACA whitewater certification during a three month kayaking road trip throughout the USA. I currently regularly paddle class IV+ & V and have paddle US classics like the Green River Narrows, The Green Truss on the White Salmon and the standard stretch on the Little White Salmon. Those are all world class runs (but I won't presume to have styled any of those with ease and emotional calm).

Clearly with kayaking—and climbing before that—being my main physical activities. Muscular imbalance became an issue, and ever since starting kayaking I've had nightmares about dislocating my shoulders. Hence the reason for my taking up an alternate form of conditioning. I discovered BtGB through the American Parkour community (another sphere of interest) and specifically Chris Salvato. I soon decided that this kind of conditioning was the right kind for me, since I don't want to take up a gym membership and generally prefer the low-tech approach. But that was almost a year ago, I'll let you guys form your own interpretation out of that. I initially did something along the lines of the killroy70 but soon grew bored (a problem I've always encountered in conditioning). After returning from my trip this summer I decided to start following the WODs.

My future promises to be interesting. After deciding to turn my back on my commercial economical background I've chosen to spend the next summer season as a raft guide / kayak instructor and just generally kayak-bumming it. In the following autumn I'll be starting to study physiotherapy, which I'm really excited about. My kayak instructing career showed me my love for analysing and improving "movement" patterns. It only seemed fair, that I start with myself!

Anyway, after that long winded essay, here are my current benchmarks and goals. I'll be orientating myself along the lines of Eat. Move. Improve's. Skill Guidelines for Building Strong, Useful, Adaptable Athletes. I'll only be concentrating on locomotion and Bodyweight. My current estimated levels are as follows:

Locomotion

  • • 100m — somewhere between L2 & L3 — 13-16s
    • 5k — Somewhere between L2 & L3 — (I can run a 3000m+ Cooper Test)

Bodyweight and Gymnastics

Pushing

  • • Push ups — L2 — 20 XR Push ups
    • Dips — L1 — 3 PB dips (I might be able to force an L2 but only sacrificing form)
    • Planche — L1 — 15s Frog (easily, but still nowhere near L2 i.e. 15s tuck planche)

Pulling

  • • Pull ups — L1 — currently 8 strict pull ups; L2 would be 12 (Achieved 201118)
    • OAP — n/a
    • Back Lever — L2 — 15s flat tuck
    • Front Lever — L2 — 15s flat tuck

Handstands

  • • Handstand Hold — L1 — 65s against wall
    • HSPU — n/a
    • Handstand Press — L1 — 1 HeS Press, if even

Seats

  • • L-sits — L1 —5s tuck, easily but I can't do 25s full LS yet

Legs (the jumps are all guestimates)
  • • Broad Jump — L2 — 2.5m
    • Standing Vertical Jump — L2 — 45cm
    • Standing Box Jump — L2 — 70cm
    • Single Leg Squats — L1+ — but can't do 5 full ROM yet
    • Natural Leg Curls — L2 — 1 negative 3-5s, I can currently follow coaches NLC sessions with some assistance from my hands.

Combined Pull/Push

  • • Muscle up — L1 — i.e. n/a

Clearly my weaknesses are everywhere where I'm stuck on L1 and as such I'll be focusing on those areas first. My long-term goal is to eventually be on L3 in all the listed skills. From there I hope to specialise a bit, but that's a long way off...
So, to put that concisely:
Current Goals (20101108)
FSPs
  • • 25s PB L-sit with constant 90° at waist (L2)
    • 15s tuck planche (L2)

FBEs

  • • 10 PB dips (L2)
    • 12 strict pull ups (L2)
    • 5 HSPU against wall (L2) — this goes synergistically with increasing my HS max hold
    • 5 clean full ROM SLS each leg

My plan is to do a max test of one skill set each week which means I'll be testing each set once in every 6-7 weeks. I'll be starting with a 100m sprint today, since I'll be out on the track anyway. I don't know if I'll generally test the maxes after a given WOD or at the weekend.

I'll be building in some intervals or sprint training on off days. I'm planning to do those about twice a week, alternating between routines.

I'll be posting workouts in the respective WODs and I'll be using this thread to aggregate those logs and to keep track of my periodical testing.

Any comments, critiques and pointers are and always will be highly appreciated and I'd like to thank everybody in this wonderful community for all the help they've already given.

kevinrohrbach

Uff!

WU

General joint mobilization

Ido’s scapular mobilization

Wrist prehab exercises

FSP

2x30s

Elevated straddle L + Tuck FL

Adv. Frog + Backward PU

Tuck LS + Tuck BL

WOD

(4+2+2+2) Cast Wall Walks — 20s rest after failures

(3+2) Wall Pike Press HS – 20s rest after failures

(4+3+3) Wall Straddle Press HS — 20s rest after failures

(5+3+2+2) cycles Wall HS — 2min rest after failures

2x10 Wrist push ups — knees

2 cycles front/side planks — 90s front / 45s each side 1min rest between cycles

Ido’s Shoulder ROM & Stability routine

Comments:

I definitely have a long way to go. I'd like to see myself be able to complete the above kind of exercise sets in one go within the next month or two i.e. the way Coach intended them to be performed.

I have identified the following weaknesses — everything.

No, seriously. As stated elsewhere I'll be concentrating on my HS and pull up skills in the near future. I've decided to add some core stability exercises to the mix in the form of planks to be performed at least twice weekly in the cool-down.

Let's see how that goes.

pogo69
kevinrohrbach said:

I have identified the following weaknesses — everything.

haha... you're not alone!!

kevinrohrbach

In keeping with the novel I posted up above, here are the links of last week's workouts + additional work.

SSC1 - Week 1

  • [*:2qn8kcj4]
20101101
[*:2qn8kcj4]20101102
[*:2qn8kcj4] 20101103 — Interval training: 9x 30s stride / 60s light jog
[*:2qn8kcj4]20101104
[*:2qn8kcj4]20101105
[*:2qn8kcj4]20101106 — Interval training: 9x 30s stride / 60s light jog
[*:2qn8kcj4]20101107 — 6x30s XR support -> too much will continue with 6x20s

kevinrohrbach

Oh, and here some info I didn't include in the initial post. I'm 29, 179cm tall and 72kg. I'm missing my right pectoral due to some kind of birth defect. It might be a light case of Poland's Syndrome or due to some experimental nausea tablets my mum was taking during the pregnancy—nobody really knows.

I came down from 74kg after adopting a paleo diet. All of it body fat, since I've grown noticeably broader in the shoulders in that period I hope to increase my weight to ~78kg to improve my paddler/boat ratio while keeping my body fat% constant.

kevinrohrbach

SSC1 - Week2

  • [*:2n1zbg4g]
WOD 20101108 — MetCon, Pulling
[*:2n1zbg4g]WOD 20101109 — Ring Series
[*:2n1zbg4g]Sprint Training 20101109 — 6x50m moderate stride as warmup; 5x100m sprints as workout
[*:2n1zbg4g]WOD 20101111 — Embedded Static Positions

Comments:

  • [*:2n1zbg4g]Benchmark: I managed 12s37 on one my first 100m sprint, which is better than I had anticipated. This puts my 'Locomotion' skillset up to L3 and makes any particular focus on it unnecessary at this time.

kevinrohrbach

SSC1 — Week3

  • [*:3n9dh8q6]
WOD 20101116 — HS work + additional work from yesterday's WOD, I missed.
[*:3n9dh8q6]WOD 20101118 — Dynamic pressing

Comments

  • [*:3n9dh8q6]Confirmed my L2 in Box Jumps, i.e. 30in. Since I managed that with added weight I'm assuming that I could jump higher. But I haven't currently got access to a box to test this...
    [*:3n9dh8q6]Just reached one of my initial goals, 12 strict dead-hang pull-ups. HOORAY!

kevinrohrbach

20101118

Goals update

FSPs

  • [*:2xg1htcr]25s PB L-sit with constant 90° at waist (L2)
    [*:2xg1htcr]15s tuck planche (L2)

FBEs

  • [*:2xg1htcr]10 PB dips (L2)
    [*:2xg1htcr]20 strict pull ups (chest to bar) (L3) — This will not get as much focus as the L2 goals
    [*:2xg1htcr]5 HSPU against wall (L2) — this goes synergistically with increasing my HS max hold
    [*:2xg1htcr]5 clean full ROM SLS each leg (L2)

kevinrohrbach

20101119

Change of format. I'll be detailing all my workouts in this thread from now and not just aggregating them here. It makes life easier.

General

7 hours sleep. Less than usual and definitely feeling it. All in all I felt reasonably OK throughout the day though.

WU

General Joint mobilization

FSP

2x30s

(Arch hold + Hollow hold)

(Planche lean + Reverse Planche lean)

WOD

3 sets of: 2 MU seated (feet resting on ground until after transition); XR L-Sit to piked XR bent arm support; 2 XR dips; 3 flat tuck tick-tocks

5 rounds of:

15s flat tuck FL

15s Wall HS (working on free-standing)

15s German Hang

2 sets of 2 assisted OAC with 3s hold in full flexion

2x10 Wall extensions

Ido's scapular mobilization

Stretching

kevinrohrbach

7 hours sleep. Felt pretty good though as I'd slept a lot throughout the weekend.

Any latent inflammation from Friday seems to have gone.

WU

20 Tai-Chi twists

Ido's scapular mob

2x2 ass. OAC (towel) with 4s top lock-off

FSP

2x30s: arch hold + hollow hold

WOD

3 sets each:

XR Inv. hang to 15s flat tuck BL + 5 tempo Rev. Yewkis (as depicted in the bock, i.e. full inv. hang to tuck in the bent-arm position)

Jump to 15s adv. Frog + 5 tempo PB dips

Deadhang to 15s flat tuck FL + 5 tempo tuck TOPs pulls

10 Bridge wall walks (5&5 alternated with pike hold)

Comments

  • [*:3h7k1d5z]The ass. OACs with lock-off are already feeling a lot easier—awesome!
    [*:3h7k1d5z]Felt a lot better on the BLs with hands turned out. My left elbow seems to be improving.

kevinrohrbach

General

Felt pretty good after about 8h sleep last night. Much better than after 5 the previous night–I really should learn not to take my laptop to bed…

WU

General joint mobilization

Ido’s scapular mobilization

2×2 Assisted OACs with lock-off at full flexion

FSP

2x30s Arch- + hollow holds

Elevated straddle-L + Tuck FL

Planche Lean + Reverse push-up hold

LS + tuck BL

Workout (not an official WOD since the official one arrived at around 3am this morning over here - hope your trip was good Coach)

3sets of 3 reps each

(Pseudo-planche push-ups + flat-tuck FL rows)

(Single-leg squats + Hanging-leg lifts — to about 45° past horizontal)

10mins handstand work

Comments

  • [*:ruyt0l1o]Benchmark inserted before the HS work: 20 XR push-ups — feet elevated to ring height. This confirms my L2. I’ll keep the L3 goal, 5 tuck planche push-ups on parallel bars in reserve for later.

kevinrohrbach

WU

General joint mobilisation

Ido's scapular mobilisation

Wrist series

FSP

2x30s:

arch + hollow holds

el. straddle L + FL

Planche lean + rev. push up

LS + BL

WOD

(3+3+3+1) Cast WW

5 pike press to HeS

5+5 Str. press to HeS

5 rounds Wall run ladders as follows:

2 Box HeSPU > 6 Wall runs > 2 neg. HeSPU > 6 WR > 3-5mins break > 2 neg. HeSPU > 6 WR > 2 Box HeSPU > 6 WR

10 Bridge Wall walks

kevinrohrbach

20101201

Today was a sprinting day. I decided to do one of the advanced sprinting workouts out of Mark Sisson's Primal Fitness ebook and it was, let's say, advanced :) But I enjoyed it nonetheless. I'll definitely be rotating it in in future.

WU

4x50m @~75% maxHR; 10s rest between efforts

60s rest

Workout

2x50m skipping; 15s rest between efforts

60s rest

2x50m bounding; 30s rest between efforts

60s rest

2x50m hopping; 60s rest between efforts

120s rest

4x50m sprints

Comments

  • [*:3be23w9h]My legs felt like jelly afterwards

kevinrohrbach

Workout 20101202

WU

General Joint mobility

Ido's scapular mobility

Wrist series

Some work on Siu Nim Tao

5min handstand work

FSP

4x15s XR support work

2x30s:

Arch- + hollow holds

Planche lean + Backward push ups

WOD

3 sets:

Inverted hang to BL + 3 tempo assisted OAC

XR Support to LS + 5 tempo wall HSPU

Dead hang to FL + 6 tempo windshield wipers - supine (+3kg at ankles)

10 Bridge wall walks

Notes on execution of the workout

  • [*:2rzy6lbg]tempo = 3s raise - 2s hold - 1 lower
    [*:2rzy6lbg]1-2min between sets

Goal update

Benchmark

5 SLS - I tested this back on Tuesday. This puts my leg strength on L2 of the eat. move. improve. list. The next level would entail doing 5 SLS with 25% bodyweight added. I won't be concentrating on that specifically for the time being.

My primary goals are therefore, in order of importance:

  • [*:2rzy6lbg]120s handstand, against wall
    [*:2rzy6lbg]10 PB dips (L2)
    [*:2rzy6lbg]5 HSPU against wall on ground (head to ground in each rep) (L2)
    [*:2rzy6lbg]25s PB L-sit with constant 90° at waist (L2)
    [*:2rzy6lbg]15s tuck planche (L2)

My secondary goals are:

- 20 strict pull ups, chest to bar (L3)

- 5 SLS +25% bodyweight

Comments

  • [*:2rzy6lbg]My primary weakness generally seems to be overhead pressing / handstand at the moment. And I'll be continuing to mainly concentrate on those in the short term.

kevinrohrbach

WOD 20101203

WU

General joint mobility

Ido's scapular mobility

Wrist series

Siu Nim Tao

2x3 frenchie pull ups / chins

FSP

2x30s:

  • XR support + tucked front lever
    Hollow + arch holds
    Planche lean + backward push up
    L-sit + tucked back lever

WOD

4 rounds:

  • 30s wall run (60s was just too much)
    4 clapping push ups
    8 dips
    4+4+4 swinging dips on XR (severely curtailed ROM :) )

2x10 Wall extensions

kevinrohrbach

I had to have my wisdom teeth pulled on Monday. Due to that I've been told to not do any sport. I'll be back next week :) I'm all jittery already!

kevinrohrbach

WOD 20110103

Warmup

  • [*:3sw2dvlb]20 Tai-chi twists and general joint mobility
    [*:3sw2dvlb]Ido's scapular mobility routine
    [*:3sw2dvlb]Wrist routine

FSP

60s each of plank, reverse plank, hollow hold, arch hold, XR support, chin-up-grip dead hang and HS as per the "Getting started correctly" Thread. You can view my efforts in the following thread. I'd be thrilled if the senior members could give me their feedback on the videos.

WOD

3 sets of :

  • [*:3sw2dvlb]inv. hang to 15s adv. tuck BL + 5 tempo TOPs pulls in adv. tuck
    [*:3sw2dvlb]jump to adv. 15s frog + 5 press to HeS
    [*:3sw2dvlb]dead hang to 15s adv. tuck FL + 5 tempo V-ups.

10 Bridge wall walks

Comments

  • [*:3sw2dvlb]I have no chance of completing even a single rep of a chest roll to HeS, that's why I did the press to HeS
    [*:3sw2dvlb]The v-ups were quite easy, but I have no chance to lift any higher than 90° on L-sit lifts. What would you guys choose?