Hello all,
I've spent quite a bit of time reading the forums and my copy of BtGB and want to ask the senior members if I'm putting together all the information correctly. I'd love to be corrected if I'm in error and to the extent that I am correct perhaps this post could serve as a decent synthesis of the presently available information for other beginners since this question comes up often.
As a beginner my weekly program will contain five components which will be treated in more detail below.
1--WOD (obviously scaled) four times a week
2--Warm-ups for WOD will include FSP work
3--Joint and mobility prep
4--Extra prehab/mobility work after WOD (some is contained in the WOD itself)
5--"Serious" half hour stretch session (once a week for 4-6 weeks, then twice a week)
1--WOD.
Easy enough, I trust Coach Sommer's programming acumen far more than my own. I'll use the book to scale the workouts appropriately and search the forum for tips to scale elements not covered in BtGB.
2--Warm-up/FSP
Although reading BtGB may lead one to believe the L-sit is the starting place, I found a post from Slizzardman in which he passes on information from a seminar instructing beginners to start at even more basic FSP's.
Your (beginner) warm up should look like:60s plank
60s reverse plank
60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head
60s arch hold in the superman flying position
60s Parallel Bar support.
60s chin up grip dead hang
That will keep you busy for quite a little while. You shouldn't need any rest really, maybe a few breaths. Honestly, that is probably too much right now, which is why you will be doing these for whatever time you can manage with a perfect hold and doing 3 total sets. You can do them in rounds or as individual exercises, though I know Coach prefers his guys to do 3 sets plank if they can't hold 60s, THEN 3 sets reverse plank, etc. If you DO have an easy 60s PERFECT hold then that is all you will do each day. At first this may take up to 20 minutes to perform. Eventually it will take 6 minutes. As you get stronger your warm up will evolve just as your workouts will, but for a while this is where you should be. If it makes you feel any better, I have started off with this stuff too and worked my way through the basics. I still practice them every day as my warm up, along with the shoulder balancing stuff that I repeat so often here, and I am seeing good improvements.
You should start thinking of "warm up" as basic strength and CNS learning reinforcement. For you, this IS the basics. It's going to be tough, and that's ok. If you don't build up to this you will never make good progress in much of your strength work. This idea applies whether it is weight lifting, bodybuilding or gymnastics. Failure to recognize this necessity and develop this ability is what holds back a lot of people.
I know that sometimes it seems like the advice we give is wonky, but try to remember that those of us putting it out there have gotten this information directly from Coach, face to face at the seminars. You would be surprised at how many people who are quite strong find out they have weak points that are holding them back. This knowledge is, in my opinion, the single biggest reason that May's seminar attendees made so much progress between then and September.
When you put a 6 minute video up showing me you have accomplished all of this I will assist you in the next step. In the meantime, master what I posted. Put up a video of your initial attempts so that we can see where you are starting from. It will help if you are wearing shorts that do not cover your knees and a tight tank top or no shirt at all. We need to be able to see your body in order to help you. Post that in Digital Coaching.
3--Joint and Mobility Prep
Obviously after the publication of Liquid Steel™ this will be clarified, but for now I found this from Coach Sommers. I'm still not clear whether by "nearly daily" he means each training day or seven days a week.
The video of the wrist series that Blairbob filmed at a Future Stars Clinic is actually my own wrist series; or at least the floor work portion of it. I guess that I should not find this surprising as I have been involved with the Future Stars program for over ten years and have introduced the series to a great many people. That being said, and as others have already observed, there are a number of issues present with the performance of the movements as shown by those inexperienced athletes.For the gymnastics strength trainee the wrist series, and in particular the wrist pushups, are essential elements that must be included in their training on a nearly daily basis. My own athletes perform the entire series every day in warm-up (10 strict reps per variation
If I am correct the video he is referring to above is
4--Extra prehab/mobility work after WOD.
The WOD often contains wall extensions or wrist pushups at the end, but additional work should be inserted as needed. Ido Portal and Slizzardman have videos that many have found helpful for common shoulder problems.
5--Intense half hour stretch session once a week for 4-6 weeks, then twice a week.
This recommendation is taken from one of Sommer's posts on the forum.
For beginners, I recommend beginning with a serious stretching routine once per week, on the same day each week. Please note that this is not twist twist, touch your toes a few times, but a correctly structured full body stretch that will take a minimum of 30 minutes hard work. As a beginner, if you have stretched correctly, you will be SORE. It will take some time for the DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) to dissipate. For beginners this dissipation may take the better part of a week; especially the first time. The amount of time for the DOMS to disperse will then begin to lessen from week to week.After 4-6 weeks, when you are no longer spectacularly sore after a thorough stretch, it is time to add an additional day and begin the process again. It may also help to remember that stretching is a separate endeavor from joint preparation and pre-hab. For example, I prefer for hip extensions to be performed after leg conditioning rather than during stretching.
Many people confuse stretching with relaxation. While you may feel relaxed after the stretch, the stretch itself should be hard work.