This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101108

Started by Coach Sommer, November 8, 2010 · 22 Replies · 2,958 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

1 – 15’ Cirque

3 – Front Pulls

5 – TOPs Pulls

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Move immediately from the Shuttle Runs to the Cirque.

4) Move immediately from the Cirque to the Front Pulls.

5) Move immediately from the Front Pulls to the TOPs Pulls.

6) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

7) If this workout as RX’d with bodyweight is insufficiently challenging; increase the intensity as necessary by using a weighted vest.

Michael Traynor

Front Pulls = Front Lever Pulls?

Cole Dano
Breaks said:
Front Pulls = Front Lever Pulls?

They are different, Front Pulls are in the Core- Straight Body Section of the book.

Michael Traynor

Thanks :)

Christian Sørlie
Coach Sommer said:
If this workout as RX’d with bodyweight is insufficiently challenging; increase the intensity as necessary by using a weighted vest.

Sigh, looking forward to the day when this WOD comes again, and I think, Oh well, better go get my 40 pound vest so i'll get a challenge here...

Steve C
Christian said:
Coach Sommer said:
If this workout as RX’d with bodyweight is insufficiently challenging; increase the intensity as necessary by using a weighted vest.

Sigh, looking forward to the day when this WOD comes again, and I think, Oh well, better go get my 40 pound vest so i'll get a challenge here...

Ha ha - too right Christian!

My version of this today

Static holds - 10 mins

Adjusted WOD

Rope style towel pull ups x 10, x10, x 10, x5,2,2,1

Tuck Front Pulls x 3 x 3 , x 3

Tuck TOP pulls x5 x3,2 x3,2

Finished with 6 mins of KB snatches and swings

kevinrohrbach
Steve C said:

Tuck Front Pulls x 3 x 3 , x 3

Hey Steve. How did you set those up? Just on the ground?

Thanks,

Kevin

Steve C

Hi Kevin,

Yes i have to do these using a pull up bar, so tucked knees and pulled up from there if that makes sense?

Only been following the WOD's for about 5 weeks so i may have this wrong however!

Eddie Stelling

Do you pause at the top on the front pulls? I can do these full lay with out a pause but it almost seems like it becomes a momentum thing.

For the TOPs pulls you do a pull up and then bring your body up and over the bar while you are at the top of the pullup correct? Or do spin with arms straight?

By the way, did anyone else screw up and do the ring strength WOD from Oct. 18th on Friday!?! I did and missed the handstand WOD! So mad!

kevinrohrbach
Steve C said:
Hi Kevin,

Yes i have to do these using a pull up bar, so tucked knees and pulled up from there if that makes sense?

Only been following the WOD's for about 5 weeks so i may have this wrong however!

Yes, that makes sense. I had to improvise as well.

WU

20 Tai Chi twists

Neck, shoulder & hip mobilisation

Ido Scapular Mobilisation

FSP

2x30s:

(elevated straddle-L + tuck FL)

(Planche lean + reverse push up)

(LS - low + tuck BL)

WOD

4 rounds:

60s shuttle run — fast enough to put my pulse in the 170-185 range

5 (each side) towel pull ups

3 front pulls - flat tuck; on ground

5 TOPs pulls - flat tuck on single bar

10min work/rest handstand work

Comments:

  • [*:2qpcyrmu]I'm downgrading to planche leans for the remainder of this SSC, even though adv. frogs feel like more of a balance act than anything else. I feel that this will help me build a more solid base over the long run, especially in the shoulders and wrists.
    [*:2qpcyrmu]I noticed that I was doing the BLs wrong(?). I had always gripped the bar in a "pull up position" i.e. ending up with my palms facing up in the BL. I've adjusted my grip so that my palms are now facing down. Initially I noticed a strong pulling in my common extensor tendon in my left arm i.e. the tennis elbow spot. I had surgery done to that elbow back when I was 13 due to some bone fragmentation in the joint and years of climbing haven't really helped any latent mobility and muscular inbalance issues in that arm (I still haven't got full mobility in that arm)
    I had to back off in my BL to slightly less than horizontal. After finding the sweet spot the pulling subsided to a level where it wasn't entirely unpleasant and I feel that diligent practice will help ameliorate my mobility issues in the elbow and in my wrist on the same side (broke it when I was 12)—they've both already improved thanks to Coach's wrist routine.
    [*:2qpcyrmu]Anything resembling a pull up is still really hard for me—but I will improve!
    [*:2qpcyrmu]The front pulls on the ground didn't seem to effective. I'll have to think of some portable way to elevate my shoulders off the ground.
    [*:2qpcyrmu]The 10mins of handstand work incl. rest felt good. I'll be building that in on non handstand days from now on.
    [*:2qpcyrmu]Am I right in thinking this was a MetCon, pulling workout?

Thanks,

Kevin

Joshua Naterman

Something of a metcon, but slightly more strength-oriented. 15' cirque shouldn't take terribly long, maybe 30s including the descent, but most people here will be doing easier rope climbs or towel pull ups, including me, so 15s maybe, and you figure about 2s per rep of the front pulls and TOPs pulls, it's short enough to maintain a pretty high intensity. You could think of this as a bodyweight drop set more than anything else!

kevinrohrbach
slizzardman said:
Something of a metcon, but slightly more strength-oriented. 15' cirque shouldn't take terribly long, maybe 30s including the descent, but most people here will be doing easier rope climbs or towel pull ups, including me, so 15s maybe, and you figure about 2s per rep of the front pulls and TOPs pulls, it's short enough to maintain a pretty high intensity. You could think of this as a bodyweight drop set more than anything else!

OK. I was just asking because I would like to make notes on the WOD rotation so that I can better incorporate my additional HS, Pull up and XR support work. This WOD doesn't seem to correspond with Triangle's explanation of the rotation.

Justin Kyle

Warmup:

PPP on ground 3x10

Straddle L partial rolls 3x5

3x10s Advanced L-sit

Full BL 1x7 sec/ 3x7-8sec Half lay BL

Press handstand work

WOD: Four rounds:

60 sec shuttle run

15' cirque (on the last set I had to use my feet for last 5 ft of the climb)

3 Front pulls on bar (adv. tuck)

5 Tops Pulls (Half lay first set, then adv. tuck the rest)

Squatchy
Eddie said:
Do you pause at the top on the front pulls? I can do these full lay with out a pause but it almost seems like it becomes a momentum thing.

For the TOPs pulls you do a pull up and then bring your body up and over the bar while you are at the top of the pullup correct? Or do spin with arms straight?

By the way, did anyone else screw up and do the ring strength WOD from Oct. 18th on Friday!?! I did and missed the handstand WOD! So mad!

Yeah, you're supposed to pause at the top of the front pull (pause at the inverted hang before you lower back down)

The TOPS pulls would be starting at an inverted hang, then lowering yourself to a regular vertical hang while at the same time pulling your chin up over the bar/rings. Basically you do a pullup as you lower to the vertical hang.

haha, yeah I did the same thing friday. Ended up seeing the mistake sunday and did the correct friday workout then, but did it a tiny bit lighter as it was supposed to be a rest day.

Today I did:

warmup FSP

2x pl (1x frogstand, 1x tuck pl)

2x tuck Fl

2x handstands

2x adv tuck bl

4 rounds

60sec shuttle run

15 towel rope climb/pulls (i stick the towel over my doorway pullup bar and have one end in each hand, when i pull from each side the towel slides so its like climbing without going anywhere)

3 front pulls (tuck) on rings

5 TOPs pulls (tuck/adv tuck) on rings

took about 2min 30sec rest.

I was barely making it by the last set of TOPs pulls, good workout :)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

5 HeSPU

5 Elastic Bar MU (Purple)

2 Elastic Bar MU (Black)

5 SLS/Leg

10 Ring Curls

FSP:

2 x 1 Front Lever (Flat Tuck; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 15s, 15s)

1 x 1 Planche (PB Tuck; 15s)

2 x 1 Manna (PB Low; 15s, 15s)

3 x 1 Back Lever (Full; 5s, 5s, 5s)

WOD:

3 Rounds:

60s Shuttle Run

16 Towel Pullups

3 Front Pulls (Straddle)

5 Pullovers

Rest 2 mins

This one is tuff! :shock: I stopped after 3 rounds.

Christian Sørlie

This is really the WOD I'm having the most difficulty scaling correctly.

Did 4 rounds:

60 sec shuttle run

15' app rope climb

3 dragon flag (1 leg tucked)

TOPs pull (tucked)

Probably should have done nanners. Looking forward to the seminar in Mallorca to get some input. Filmed todays first round so enjoy and don't laugh too hard. I know the TOPs pulls are bad form.

vosshewLPNk

j4b

4x 15s tuck planche

3mi run

2x straddle FL rows (yes! these are getting decent, need to find a bar thats not the top of a soccer goal that I can actually grab :P )

4rds:

- 30 second sprint (HR already elevated)

- 4 OA negatives (2 each arm, 4 second descent)

- 3 front pulls (on a soccer-goal low to the ground, had to do straddle)

- 6 front lever pulls (circle)

Alexander Moreen

Is that as slow as you can do negatives? If so I think your not really ready for them yet. I'd say 10s is as fast as you really want to be going. Otherwise I think you are on the way to an inflamed tendon which is no fun.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

4 rds of:

60 sec shuttle run/jog

15 chain pull ups -no rope to climb :(

3 Front Pulls (2 rds in adv. tuck;2 rds in tuck;occasionally a full lay negative)

5 TOPs Pulls (2 rds in adv. tuck;2 rds in tuck;occasionally a full lay negative)

Rested 3 min between rds

Alexander Moreen

Warmup:

1 minute hollow hold

30s wide as I can go straddle hollow hold(cramps the side of my butt or lower hip area)

Reverse leg lifts with pauses of; 1s,3s,5s,10s,20s,10s,5s,3s,1s

10 squats

3 sls +20lbs per leg

15 pushups, 10 triangle pushups, 5 ppp, one set

10 close grip pullups, 10 neutral grip, 10 chins, one set

2 muscleups on bar, explosive pull

2x10 hip extensions

15 fitness ball roll ups to press handstand position via

FSPs

3x20s L-sit, straddle L, tuck planche, slightly elevated MSH

3x8s Straddle Front lever

3x5s Back lever

WOD:

4 rounds

sprint to end of the block and back

3 OACs from 90/arm

3 Front pulls (full, but with back slightly arched on number 3 or each round I think)

5 Circular Front lever pulls

and then messed around a bit with some weighted front pulls and front lever pulls; shoes plus a 2.5 lbs plate so probably like 6 lbs or so. Got one complete front pull and 4 slightly low front lever pulls, took off the weight plate and did 1 really way too high front lever pull and hit my head on the roof over the bar I was using! Ice bath for my face I guess?

Kenneth Manning

WOD:

4 Rounds:

60 sec stationary bike sprint (high resistance) x 4

Rope pullups x 10,10,10,8

Front pulls (adv tuck) x 3,3,3; tuck x 3

TOP pulls (adv tuck) x 5,5,5,5

*heart rate was getting to a bit over 180 bpm each bike sprint

*performed TOP pulls slowly, eliminating momentum

Joshua Naterman

Another tough one! My total time was 18 minutes.

60s jumping rope

9,5,5,1 towel pull ups (grip was gone, largely due to the rope I am using)

3 front pulls (started full lay, ended with ugly straddles. I probably should have done slow front pull negatives on the last set)

5 TOPS pulls (started with full lay, last set was all tuck!)

Quick Start Test Smith

Warm Up

5 min. jog in place

Wrist routine

Ido's Scapula Mobilization routine

Ido's squat routine + martial arts specific dynamic stretches

Completed Four Rounds of:

60 sec. heavy bag drills (very intense)

5 XR Rows w/ feet at parallel with head (at top)

30 sec. l-sit (tuck) on PB

5 Circular arch ups

2 minute rest between rounds

Bill Wallace Kicking Drills (4 x 10 w/ 1.5 lbs)

Isometric straddle stretch (2 x 45, 2 x 8,8,30)

Adductor flies - 1 x 30 (max) w/ 5-6 lbs

Cool Down

Static stretches about 30-60 min. after workout