This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101101

Started by Coach Sommer, November 1, 2010 · 37 Replies · 4,071 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Wide XR MU

1 Embedded BL + 6 Tempo Circular Arch-ups

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Circular HLL

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier CPP variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Focus on maintaining completely locked, straight elbows at all times during the XR L-sits. You may adjust the position of the legs as necessary.

4) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

5) Use a tempo of 313 for the basic strength sets.

6) For the muscle-ups, this equates to a 3 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 3 second descent. The required tempo includes your work through the transition. Be sure to choose a muscle-up variation that allows the tempo to be correctly maintained.

7) Add as much weight as possible to the Circular Arch-ups & the Circular HLL to make them challenging for 5 repetitions at the required tempo.

8 ) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary. For example if the XR Wide MU is too challenging, choose another MU variation that allows you to complete the prescribed reps and tempo for all three sets.

9) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

kevinrohrbach

WU

General joint mobility

Ido's Scapular Mobilization

Some easier MU sets (jumping + negatives)

FSP

2x30s

Elevated straddle L + Tuck FL

Adv. Frog + Backward PU

Tuck LS + Tuck BL

WOD

3 sets:

1 XR raise to LS + 5 jumping MU/negatives

1 Inv. to flat-tuck BL + 6 Tempo Circular Arch-ups

1 Dead-hang to flat-tuck FL + 6 Tempo Windshield Wipers - half

10 Bridge Wall Walks

Comments

How long are you guys taking for your WODs, warmup and all? I want to do all WODs, but find myself unable to take the ~1.5 it's taking me each time

Kyle Courville

I believe that the tendons in my shoulder aren't ready for MU just yet. Would 5 tempo dips + 5 tempo pullups be a good substitute?

Michael Miskelly

@ kyle - I would think that would be a good substitute considering a muscle up is essentially the combination of both movements.

@ kevin - My WOD's vary in times depending on what I am doing, handstand days take from 45mins to 1hr because that is my weakest part in training. Usually the other WOD's take 30mins give or take 5. Warm up takes 30mins usually, again depending on if there are FSP's included in the workout itself like today, then it is shorter.

Joshua Naterman

Kyle: absolutely. That is what I will be doing! Actually, I will be doing 5 sets of 1.5s false grip pull up, use feet to spot the transition quite a lot, 1.5s XR dip, hold at top 1s, 3s negative MU, repeat. If that sounds like too much, just do 5 false grip(preferably, but regular grip is ok if you must) pull ups and XR dips.

Kevin:

I am finding that dynamic and ring strength WODS take me 25-30 minutes including rest, plus 15 minutes for warm up.

Basic strength like today takes about 11 minutes for the 9 work sets +12 total rest minutes. That's 2 minutes for rest after set 1 and 2. These exercises are SO different that there is no need for me to take rest after set 3, but if I did that would be a 16 minute rest total for a total workout time of 27-28 minutes not including wall walks, which are probably another 2-3 minutes. Again, 15 minutes for warm up for a 42-43 minute total.

The only WOD that takes me longer than this is the HSPU ladder WOD. That one is more like an hour.

Edit: :lol: It looks like mic_skelly and I have had the same experience with WOD times. My warm up is a little shorter because I do some of my pre-requisite work at a different time in the day most of the time.

kevinrohrbach

So, I take it you guys don't do FSP stuff when FSPs are already included in the WOD. Is that correct?

It looks like I just need to reduce my warmup to below 15min and I should be fine.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts!

On another note. Do you guys work on goals/weaknesses outside of the WODs at all? I'm p*ss poor at pullups and my handstand skills aren't too mind blowing either. Would you guys work on those separately too, or would that be too much? I seem to recall handstand work being good in the warmup, correct?

Joshua Naterman

WOOOH YEA!!! Man, that felt great! I am excited, my arms are really feeling better. My last BL I lowered from a bent arm tuck planche straight into a tuck BL! That felt really good, I was surprised.

Anyhow, I'll have the video up today. I'm off to the shower.

Ryan Hutchins

These workouts are for strength and conditioning. If you want to be a better gymnast these certainly help. But if you have something you are focusing on then you should focus on that as well. Just build it into your workouts. I.e if I wanted to be better at pullups and handstands I would put that in my daily routine. Wake up and do ten pullups. Before I go to bed ten pullups. In addition to the WOD train the skills you are working on. HS training is just fun for me. You can do it anywhere almost. Bend your training to what you want to do and how good you want to be. Don't forget... Coaches athletes still do three hours of gymnastic training after. Hope that helps

Joshua Naterman
kevinrohrbach said:
So, I take it you guys don't do FSP stuff when FSPs are already included in the WOD. Is that correct?

It looks like I just need to reduce my warmup to below 15min and I should be fine.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts!

On another note. Do you guys work on goals/weaknesses outside of the WODs at all? I'm p*ss poor at pullups and my handstand skills aren't too mind blowing either. Would you guys work on those separately too, or would that be too much? I seem to recall handstand work being good in the warmup, correct?

You got it! If a significant amount of FSP work is in the WOD, don't worry about that particular FSP for your warm up. If it's ring strength and we're only doing like 15s of total FSP work for any given FSP, still do at least 30-45s in the warm up.

As far as weaknesses go, you will want to work those in your warm up. I do false grip pull ups, L chins and hollow hold work in my warm up almost every WOD day. I also do one or two sets of scapular retractions, light XR bicep curls or cable curls(depending on where I am), triceps push ups or triceps extensions, and HeS RLL in pike. That doesn't even take 10 minutes, and between that and my 1-2 sets of the FL pre-requisites that I am on I am right around 15 minutes and ready to rock. I did no FL work today since today was pretty heavy on the FL in the WOD.

Keep in mind that you should be focusing on these things right now as far as FSP goes, and more or less in this order: hollow hold (first L-sit pre-requisite is 3x60s hollow hold), 60s tuck L sit; 3x60s PB support, RTO XR support; wall handstand work; 3x60s arch hold (first BL pre-req), 3x30s German Hang, 60s tuck BL. Don't even worry about planche until you have a 60s L-sit and XR support. Those, all by themselves, will build the shoulder, core, and elbow conditioning you need to safely start off and make good progress.

For those who are wondering, that is just the very tip of the iceberg's tip. At the seminars you can learn SO much more. Each pre-requisite progression has 7-10 steps, and I have just shared the three first steps (and one other early step for BL in the German Hang) that are already floating around on the board. These ALONE will help you immensely, so work that in and save up money for the seminars. Hotels are cheap, weather is great, and it will be one of the most fun weekends you have ever had! I would not be able to do what I am doing today without those seminars under my belt, that is for sure.

Edit: What Ryan is saying is fairly true. Coach's athletes still have most of their practice ahead of them when they finish the WOD.

However, as I and many people have figured out, you DO need to work on the things that are holding you back. This is actually a large part of the FSP pre-requisite progressions, and with them in place I actually think that they take care of just about everything.

Whatever you do for these weak points, keep it at a pace that you can perform 2-3 times a week. Don't blast your pull ups into the dust, for example! Just work on the pull up program I've put out there in your warm up twice a week, preferably a monday and friday. This may cause you to have to scale way back on SOME of the upper body WODs temporarily, but as soon as you're able to do 12-15 perfect pull ups you will not need so much focus on the pull ups. The WODs will be able to take you from there on their own, for the most part, and you can just do 1-2 sets in your warm up. If you want to do one set of pull ups on one or both of the other WOD days that's up to you, but make it an easy set.

kevinrohrbach
slizzardman said:

As far as weaknesses go, you will want to work those in your warm up. I do false grip pull ups, L chins and hollow hold work in my warm up almost every WOD day. I also do one or two sets of scapular retractions, light XR bicep curls or cable curls(depending on where I am), triceps push ups or triceps extensions, and HeS RLL in pike. That doesn't even take 10 minutes, and between that and my 1-2 sets of the FL pre-requisites that I am on I am right around 15 minutes and ready to rock. I did no FL work today since today was pretty heavy on the FL in the WOD.

Keep in mind that you should be focusing on these things right now as far as FSP goes, and more or less in this order: hollow hold (first L-sit pre-requisite is 3x60s hollow hold), 60s tuck L sit; 3x60s PB support, RTO XR support; wall handstand work; 3x60s arch hold (first BL pre-req), 3x30s German Hang, 60s tuck BL. Don't even worry about planche until you have a 60s L-sit and XR support. Those, all by themselves, will build the shoulder, core, and elbow conditioning you need to safely start off and make good progress.

OK. Just found the pull up article, thanks for that! I'll definitely be building that into my warm ups in future. Embarrassingly, I have the feeling I'll be starting with your pre-requisite workout at the end of your article :oops: Oh well...

As far as FSPs go, I have to admit I'm still a bit confused. My situation is the following. I can do 2x30s of: (elevated straddle L + tuck FL); (adv. Frog + backwards push up) and (tuck LS + tuck BL) pretty easily. And I've been doing those in my warm up for the last two weeks.

Apart from removing holds that get worked on in the WOD, how should I handle this in future? Times? Progressions? I was just planning to continue with the progressions I'm currently on until the 2x30s become super easy and then maybe progressing to 2x40s and then eventually 1x60s before I even think of stepping up to the next progression.

Thanks and sorry for dumping this question on you like this.

P.S. Sadly joining a Seminar is currently out of the question I'm currently unemployed and transitioning into studenthood as of next autumn. On top of that international airfare isn't exactly cheap.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Warmup:

500m Row

5 SLS/Leg

12 Shoulder Dislocate

2 Narrow Muscle Ups

5 HeSPU (Facing Wall)

Fundamental Static Positions:

2 x 1 Planche (PB Tuck; 12s, 15s)

2 x 1 Manna (PB Low; 12s, 14s)

WOD:

3 Rounds:

1 Embedded XR L-Sit (Bent); Rest 20s; 5 Narrow MUs @ Tempo 3131

1 Embedded Back Lever (Flat Tuck); Rest 20s; 6 Back Extensions @ Tempo 3131

1 Embedded Front Lever (Tuck); Rest 20s; 6 Circular HLL

Rest 2 mins

Justin Kyle

Warm up:

2x10sec Low Straddle L

Wall Straddle Press HS x 10

Straddle Press HS negatives x 5

WOD: 3 sets each

1 Embedded XR L-sit (L-sit press to shouldertand and back to L-sit) + 5 wide XR MU (5,5, 4+1)

1 Embedded straddle BL + 6 tempo circular arch-ups

1 Embedded Adv. Tuck FL + 6 tempo circular HLL

10 bridge wall walks

-Quick question here. When doing exercises such as circular HLL or arc ups, what counts as one repetition? The way I did it today was basically 3 concentric and eccentric movements for each side. If this is wrong please correct me. God bless guys

ashita

hey !

quick question before i do my first WOD !

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Wide XR MU

1 Embedded BL + 6 Tempo Circular Arch-ups

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Circular HLL

Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

Does it mean :

1 Embedded XR L-sit

10-20 sec rest

5 Tempo Wide XR MU

1-2 min rest

1 Embedded BL

10-20 sec rest

6 Tempo Circular Arch-ups..........

OR

1 Embedded XR L-sit

10-20 sec rest

5 Tempo Wide XR MU

1 Embedded BL

10-20 sec rest

6 Tempo Circular Arch-ups.........

and then once the 6 exercices are done , we take the 1-2 min rest ?

thanks in advance , cant wait to do my first wod :lol:

Joshua Naterman

I am almost POSITIVE that you want to do selection A. You don't have to do these as a giant set, either. You can, and perhaps should, do them as straight sets. Embedded L sit, 20s rest, 5 tempo MU, 1-2 minute rest, repeat twice, then start the second exercise. This is quite a bit harder and can also save a good bit of time since you won't have to adjust your rings so many times!

Joshua Naterman
kevinrohrbach said:
slizzardman said:

As far as weaknesses go, you will want to work those in your warm up. I do false grip pull ups, L chins and hollow hold work in my warm up almost every WOD day. I also do one or two sets of scapular retractions, light XR bicep curls or cable curls(depending on where I am), triceps push ups or triceps extensions, and HeS RLL in pike. That doesn't even take 10 minutes, and between that and my 1-2 sets of the FL pre-requisites that I am on I am right around 15 minutes and ready to rock. I did no FL work today since today was pretty heavy on the FL in the WOD.

Keep in mind that you should be focusing on these things right now as far as FSP goes, and more or less in this order: hollow hold (first L-sit pre-requisite is 3x60s hollow hold), 60s tuck L sit; 3x60s PB support, RTO XR support; wall handstand work; 3x60s arch hold (first BL pre-req), 3x30s German Hang, 60s tuck BL. Don't even worry about planche until you have a 60s L-sit and XR support. Those, all by themselves, will build the shoulder, core, and elbow conditioning you need to safely start off and make good progress.

OK. Just found the pull up article, thanks for that! I'll definitely be building that into my warm ups in future. Embarrassingly, I have the feeling I'll be starting with your pre-requisite workout at the end of your article :oops: Oh well...

As far as FSPs go, I have to admit I'm still a bit confused. My situation is the following. I can do 2x30s of: (elevated straddle L + tuck FL); (adv. Frog + backwards push up) and (tuck LS + tuck BL) pretty easily. And I've been doing those in my warm up for the last two weeks.

Apart from removing holds that get worked on in the WOD, how should I handle this in future? Times? Progressions? I was just planning to continue with the progressions I'm currently on until the 2x30s become super easy and then maybe progressing to 2x40s and then eventually 1x60s before I even think of stepping up to the next progression.

Thanks and sorry for dumping this question on you like this.

P.S. Sadly joining a Seminar is currently out of the question I'm currently unemployed and transitioning into studenthood as of next autumn. On top of that international airfare isn't exactly cheap.

No worries!

I'm doing a lot of that beginner stuff too right now, there's nothing wrong with it! I am actually loving the fact that I am not burning myself out and yet I am making great progress!

As far as removing progressions, what I would do is perform your pre-requisite warm up and then if you want to work on the FSP see how you feel. I would absolutely do them in a SSC, and I would be careful not to focus too much energy into things like ADV frog. Just keep doing what you're doing with the FSP, keep those sets nice and easy. Don't change the body position, hold times or rest times for a full SSC, which should be 8-12 weeks generally. I'd say 12 weeks so that you can focus more on the pre-requisites. In the end, you will have to see how you feel about time consumption, because you may find that doing prerequisite work as warm up and doing your FSP sets as a separate workout will cut down your workout time.

ashita
slizzardman said:
I am almost POSITIVE that you want to do selection A. You don't have to do these as a giant set, either. You can, and perhaps should, do them as straight sets. Embedded L sit, 20s rest, 5 tempo MU, 1-2 minute rest, repeat twice, then start the second exercise. This is quite a bit harder and can also save a good bit of time since you won't have to adjust your rings so many times!

Thanks slizz for your quick answer !! :D

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

A) XR support to XR L sit (slightly below parallel) x 15 sec x 3 sets + regular 313 tempo MU's x 5,4+1, 3+2

B) lower from invert to Full BL x 15 sec x 3 + supine windshield wipers (tempo) + 10lbs on ankles x 6,6,6

C) tuck crank to adv tuck FL x 15 sec x 3 + tempo circular HLL x 6,6,6*

10 bridge wall walks

*my circular HLL were less than stellar. By the last set I was barely getting my legs above parallel. However, still a good workout. Set my personal best in consecutive MU's with 5. Felt great!

Eddie Stelling

FSP: Tested new maxs

Straddle L = 60s

Front Lever (adv. flat tuck) = 33s

Adv. frog stand = 52s

Reverse Push up = 60s

German Hang = 60s

L-sit = 33s

XR Support Hold = 33s

PL lean = 25s

This took a ton of energy/strength out of me. I am going to start a posts on "Getting Started" about this. I feel like doing max holds at all FSP's at once was a bad idea. After the straddle L I was beginning to feel zapped. For example, last week one of my crossfit WODs had a max ring support hold in it, I scaled it up to MU to XR support (RTO), and got a 52s hold on the 1st rnd. My lowest time for all 3 rnds was greater than 33s. This had muiltiple exercises in it too. Makes me feel like on 1-2 holds should be tested at a time. Also decided to wait until tomorrow to test new positions for the ones i hit 60s on.

WOD: 3 sets each

1XR L-sit (15s) + 5 Tempo Regular MU (4,1)(3,2)(2,2,1)

1 BL - Adv. Tuck (15s) + 6 Tempo Circular Arch ups (6 each direction)

1 FL - Flat Tuck/tuck (15s) + 6 Tempo Circular HLL (did 6 each direction 1st rnd, then 3 each way for last 2)

10 bridge wall walks

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
slizzardman said:
I am almost POSITIVE that you want to do selection A. You don't have to do these as a giant set, either. You can, and perhaps should, do them as straight sets. Embedded L sit, 20s rest, 5 tempo MU, 1-2 minute rest, repeat twice, then start the second exercise. This is quite a bit harder and can also save a good bit of time since you won't have to adjust your rings so many times!

I 've been bulling through them... damn lol.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

3 rds of:

1 XR Shoulder stand to L-Sit + 5 Tempo XR MU

Rest 2 min

1 XR Shoulder stand to Full Lay BL + 5 Tempo Archups (hanging off lawn mower seat) with 10 lb weight

Rest 2 min

1 XR Shoulder stand to Straddle FL + 6 Tempo Circular HLL

Rest 2 min

Finished with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

AJ Ruffer

Only took me a year, but just stood up from the hands on the ground BWW position without using the wall =D. Now to get there without using the wall...

Kiyoshi

Wow that was pretty easy. I'm surprised, I thought it would have been harder.

I definitely didnt do the archups right, I had no clue how to do them. How do you hang from the rings when doing archups?

Alexander Moreen

Archups can't be done on rings, you need parallel bars or a flat surface like a table and somebody to hold your feet while you hang your torso off the end of it.

Kiyoshi
Lavastine said:
Archups can't be done on rings, you need parallel bars or a flat surface like a table and somebody to hold your feet while you hang your torso off the end of it.

oh no wonder :? hehe

ashita

i did it this morning and i couldnt do the bridge wall walks.

I have a big lack of suppleness , its surprised me !!

So i substituted it by simple bridge on the ground .Even this one i could barely do it !!

It hurt in the wrists , lack of shoulder flexibility and back ..... well i am really bad with this exercice :shock:

What exercice can i do to begin ?

Otherwise i really enjoyed the training , first time i did a WOD and i like it !

thanks