This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101102

Started by Coach Sommer, November 2, 2010 · 22 Replies · 3,055 Views

Coach Sommer

UXwNBdyEewg

Complete four rounds of:

3 Strap XR HSPU

5 XR PPP

7 XR Dips

20’ of L-sit Walks

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) The elbows must be locked and the rings turned out at the top of each XR HSPU rep. This helps to condition the biceps tendon for the more advanced ring strength work to come in the future.

2) Move immediately from the Strap XR HSPU to the XR PPP. This is most easily accomplished by setting two boxes up so that the top of the boxes is approximately ring high. After the Strap XR HSPU are completed, simply drop your feet down to the boxes and immediately begin the XR PPP.

3) After the XR PPP move immediately to the XR Dips.

4) After the XR Dips move immediately to the L-sit Walks.

5) The L-sit Walks should be performed with an all out effort. As such, do your very best to not pause during the 20’ of L-sit Walks.

6) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds

7) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement

James Portillo

Ah, this sounds like fun; currently cannot do XR HSPU/XR PPP, nor 7 consecutive ring dips. Would the appropriate subs be Floor HSPU (in my case Can only do HeSPU), floor PPP w/ palms back, and chair dips, respectively? Also, about the L sit walks, what would be a good sub if I cannot yet walk in an l sit (or tuck for that matter) and/or do not have the appropriate space?

I know I ask a lot of questions but I always want to know how to do things to the best of my abilities.

kevinrohrbach

WU

General joint mobility

Ido Scapular Mobilization

Slizzardman’s pre-req. pull up workout 1 — 1 round

WOD

4 rounds:

3 HeSPU - against wall

5 XR Bulgarian Push up

7 Chair Dips (4/3; 5/2; 5/2; 5/2—some assisted in the 3. and 4. rounds)

30s L-Sit-low (no chance at L-Sit walks, so I decided to just hold the L-sit for the same approximate time)

Comments

This was my first session including Slizz's pull up routine. I had initally planned to do two rounds, since I'm able to do 8 pull ups cleanly. However, after the first round I quickly gave up on the idea of a second. I'll keep to one round for the next couple of weeks and see how I progress.

The WOD was good. I had to downgrade all exercises, but I feel that I set the intensity correctly. I was able to complete all exercises (just) and I'm still feeling the workout now—five hours later—which I take to be a good thing :)

Eddie Stelling

JamesP, I have heard of some of the guys putting one foot or both feet in a frizbee or something that will slide on the ground and doing the L-sit walks that way. I have yet to try these, but I am going to try that method today.

Ryan Hutchins
JamesP said:
Ah, this sounds like fun; currently cannot do XR HSPU/XR PPP, nor 7 consecutive ring dips. Would the appropriate subs be Floor HSPU (in my case Can only do HeSPU), floor PPP w/ palms back, and chair dips, respectively? Also, about the L sit walks, what would be a good sub if I cannot yet walk in an l sit (or tuck for that matter) and/or do not have the appropriate space?

I know I ask a lot of questions but I always want to know how to do things to the best of my abilities.

you are right james. Scale the workout. You can do it how you were going to and scale down. Or you can divide your sets up. Just pick the most challenging thing you can do in the rep range and you should be good. Gymnastic strength is slow strength for the mere mortal. Tho I have a friend who did an iron cross on willpower alone. Lsit walks are my nemesis. You could do them on pbars or even just spend thirty seconds a round trying to hold a tuck or L on the floor so you can work up to the walks. I'm no coach sommers but I hope this helps.

Joshua Naterman

WOW. This was brutal. As you will see shortly, I could not even do one XR HeSPU!!! I couldn't even press up from a headstand to a handstand on the rings! Good lord. So, I did 3 sets of elevated HeSPU on 2x10's (1.5" elevation) and 1 set of floor HeSPU for the 4th set. PPP were as prescribed, though quite tough as I have not done these since May (and I think one other WOD recently) and not at my previous hand placement, I was right on my ribs instead of my hips. Dips were a challenge. This is partially because I did 3x45s XR support in my warm up, I got 4-5 reps per set and I did a small rest-pause on three of the sets I believe.

I did not film the L sit walk progression I am using as it is not currently public domain. I encourage everyone to just work on L-sit if you do not know the progressions from the seminar. Even in those, actually doing a momentary L sit is the main part of the movement. Just do maybe 10-20s of aggregate floor L sit per round! You can use books or something if you need the elevation at first, but try to do them on the floor.

Coach Sommer
JamesP said:
... currently cannot do XR HSPU/XR PPP, nor 7 consecutive ring dips. Would the appropriate subs be Floor HSPU (in my case Can only do HeSPU), floor PPP w/ palms back, and chair dips, respectively? ...

Good choices for scaling.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

j4b

2 mi run

4rds:

3x Bulgarian XR HSPU

5x XR PMP Plus

7x XR Bulgarian dips

20ft L-sit walks <-- stilllll cannot do these very well at all. wind up dragging my feet across the ground :\

FSPs

This workout was fantastic...also made my boobs hurt :P

Justin Kyle

Warm up:

2x30 L-sits

2x15 sec Straddle L

4x10 sec adv. tuck FL

4x12 sec straddle BL

Iron cross work

WOD: Four rounds of

30 sec ring handstands

5 XR PPP

7 XR Dips (7,7,6+1,6+1)

L-sit walks (alternated w/ foot on frisbee and eventually did in on PB which I think works better)

Wrist push ups 2x10

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

3 HeSPU (Facing Wall)

6 Bulgarian Ring Pushups

5 Ring Dips

12 Shoulder Dislocate

5 Toes to Bar

FSP:

2 x 1 Front Lever (Tuck; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Bent High; 20s, 20s)

1 x 1 Planche (PB Tuck; 15s)

1 x 1 Manna (PB Low; 10s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (XR Bent; 20s, 20s)

2 x 1 Back Lever (Staddle; 10s, 10s)

WOD:

4 Rounds

3 Strap HSPU (Black Elastic Assistance)

5 XR PPP

1 Strict Narrow MU Followed by 7 XR Dips

Rest 2 mins (no space for 20` L-Sit Walks, too many people around doing stuff, should have done a L-Sit static oh well)

Finished with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups on Knees. Shoulder Drills & Stretched.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

Warmed up with some FSP: FL, BL, planche, manna, straddle-L

-Typically I have never done FSP unless rx'd in WOD because thought would overtrain me but have noticed that several ppl do this in the warm up, so might begin warming up with FSP for 10 min or so

-Would doing FSP in warm up + WOD lead to better strength gains?

4 rds:

3 XR Strap HSPU

5 XR PPP

7 XR Dips

20' L-Sit Walks (partially dragging butt some of time)lol

Rest 3 min between rounds

Here's one of my rounds:

l6rsF6GtvgM

James Portillo

@Slizz, awesome, looks like I'll be substituting 20s l sit statics for the walks.

Coach, thanks for the input, I'll use those instead. This will be fun!

To the above, you should actually be doing your FSPs as part of warm up.. If you do a little searching on the forums you'll see that it's the most efficient way to do it. Try watching Slizz's video on how to program it for warm up.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
treemantyler said:
Today's WOD:

Warmed up with some FSP: FL, BL, planche, manna, straddle-L

-Typically I have never done FSP unless rx'd in WOD because thought would overtrain me but have noticed that several ppl do this in the warm up, so might begin warming up with FSP for 10 min or so

-Would doing FSP in warm up + WOD lead to better strength gains?

4 rds:

3 XR Strap HSPU

5 XR PPP

7 XR Dips

20' L-Sit Walks (partially dragging butt some of time)lol

Rest 3 min between rounds

Here's one of my rounds:

l6rsF6GtvgM

Work on eliminating the arch... that will be a bad habit if you don't work on it. I know the HSPU on rings is hard and it causes that but keep note of that and try to improve on it.

Good job nonetheless I'm still using elastics to help me up.

Nic Scheelings

Treemantyler

Nice work man. I loved when the housemates(?) came in and there just like hey this crazy guy is training in the garage again.

Well done.

Newguy

Haha! I read this and I was like "Oh, well this looks easy" Hehe WRONG!!! Even with the scaled down! :twisted: :shock:

/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4932

Carlos

WARM UP

jump rope 5-10min

shoulder dislocators

****10 pull ups on hangboard (pull up pass chin, like a muscle up)

10 push ups on rings

FSP

Straddle L-low 6sec. holds X 10 **HARD

PL adv. tuck 5 sec. holds X 12 * Feeling Stronger

FL on rings 5 sec. holds X (3 FL) (3 FL Straddle) (6 FL one leg tuck)

WOD

Complete 4 rounds

3 Handstand push ups (facing wall)

5 XR PPP

6,4,3,3 XR Dips - These were very hard, it felt like the XR PPP tired my triceps and I couldn't do 7 reps.

20' L-Sit hops. The wod called for L-Sit walks but all I could manage was hops.

This was a very good workout, I do so much pulling during my rock climbing days that pushing and pressing exercises is almost like a rest day.

Kenneth Manning

4 rounds:

Box* HSPU (parallettes) x 3,3,3,3

XR PPP x 5,4; Floor PPP (backward hands) 5,5

XR dips x 7,7,7,5+2

20' L sit walk (bent leg)** x 4 sets

2x10 wrist pushups on knees

*the weakest area of my upper body pressing is definitely my HSPU's. I've noticed when doing any type of box HSPU that my legs and abs provide too much assistance sort of "pushing down" against the box. So, after reading a recommendation from coach, I set up a box (milk crate ~ 14" high) and got into a pike position where my upper torso was nearly vertical throughout most of the movement. This eliminated the assistance from my hip flexors/abs and was much much harder (better).

--one other note to others having a hard time with HSPU's -- for me, I found these "piked" parallette HSPU's to be more difficult than partial range HeSPU's. In my warm ups I did a set of 5 HeSPUs where my head contacted a 5 inch block on the ground .

**I've tried the one-leg L sit walk before, sliding one leg on a frisbee. That didn't really seem to simulate the difficulty of the L sit walk so the best that I could do was setting up 2 barbells in my power rack and going back and forth 5 times with bent legs.

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

None

WOD:

4 rounds:

3 XR Box HeSPU

5/5 XR PPP -> 5/5 XR Bulgarian

7/5/3/3 XR Dips

20′ of L-sit Walks (feet on slippery magazine)

1x7 Wrist Pushups, 1x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

Cooldown:

Ido's Scapular Mobilization Routine

Notes:

  • [*:2eo56r8f]Did this WOD on Tuesday at 11pm after doing Monday's WOD at 2pm, hence skipping the FSPs. Doing this also made the XR Dips horrible, as I substituted that in 101101.
    [*:2eo56r8f]I didn't feel my attempt at L-sit walks was very effective - I'll probably just do a 20s Low L-sit next time.
    [*:2eo56r8f]Wrist pushups were limited by arms being already too tired out from pressing movements. I should've scaled back this WOD more, especially when considering that I did two on the same day.

Michael Miskelly
treemantyler said:
Would doing FSP in warm up + WOD lead to better strength gains?

Depends how you are currently incorporating your FSP's. I find that doing them in the warm up as a SSC has stopped me trying to push on to longer holds sooner than I should because if I do that it will effect my WOD performance. You want them to be a warm up not a pre-workout leading to poor form in the WOD. I certainly think that since I have started using FSP's as a SSC in my warm up, it has helped my overall strength even in my WOD's. You will probably find for the first few weeks of using them in your warm up that it seems to make your overall workout too long, but before you know it you will be doing you FSP's as a warm up automatically and it will feel like the norm.

It's strange, since I added FSP's to my warm up I have sort of forgotten about focusing on achieving the holds and am just sort of letting it happen naturally if you understand me. At the start I was all about getting planche as soon as possible but considering how long it takes I feel my new mindset is very useful because I won't get injured from going for too much too quickly, just letting my body adapt, and before I know it I will be onto the next progression.

Not sure if that fully answered your question, I seem to have gone off in a wierd direction :lol:

Joshua Naterman

I think that's a great way to put it! I have noticed the same thing.

Christian Sørlie
Newguy said:
Haha! I read this and I was like "Oh, well this looks easy" Hehe WRONG!!! Even with the scaled down!

Couldn't agree more. These are very deceptive.

Scaled mine down to:

4 rounds:

3 Hespu facing wall (did cast wall walk up to HS then down after the reps to PPP)

5 PPP floor

7 Dips on PB

Leg lifts on PB with embedded holds.

This really fried my triceps, on the last couple rounds i had to take a break after 4 dips cause i couldn't straighten my arms anymore. I think my muscular endurance is quite bad, i seem to lose strength quickly on WO such as these. But the pump I got was amazing. Really loving the WOD'S!

Quick Start Test Smith

Complete four rounds of:

3 Strap XR HSPU

5 XR PPP

7 XR Dips

I don't know how to do strap XR HSPU, and I don't think I could do 'em anyway, so I went ahead and tried for doing 60 sec. wall HS instead. This is what it looked like:

Warm Up

3-4 min. foam rolling and myofascial release

5 min. jump rope

Coach Sommers wrist routine x 1

Ido's scapula mobilization routine x 1

Ido's squat clinic x 1

(warm up felt awesome)

Four rounds of:

60 sec. wall HS

5 XR PU

5 PB Dips

2 minute rest between giant sets

Comments

The handstand progression throughout the rounds was like this:

Rnd 1 - 1 x 40sec, 1 x 20sec;

Rnd 2 - 3 x 20sec;

Rnd 3 - 1 x 20sec, 1 x 10sec (I switched to 30 sec. per round for the 2nd and 3rd rounds)

Rnd 4 - 1 x 20sec, 1 x 10sec

I was so blown from doing the handstands that I could only do 5 for the first round, 4 for the next, and 3 for the last two.

Cooldown

Ido's shoulder routine

By the way, I ordered BtGB yesterday and it's been shipped! Can't wait!

Sooner0430

Since my tendons are not yet strong enough I have to scale my workouts down. 3 rounds was all i could handle at this point. I also forgot to do wrist push ups (crap).

Stretching:

Side to side head rolls

Arm circles

Shoulder dislocates

Wrist

FSP:

Straddle L + FL 2x15s

Planche - advanced frog stand (elbows bent) + German Hangs 2x15s

L Sit (tucked) + Reverse push ups 2x15s

Strict max chin ups 1x8

WOD: 3 rounds

HeSPU 3/3/3

Floor PPP w/palms by hips 5/5/5

XR dips 7/5+2/4+3

30s L sit on push up bars 25+5/15+15/30s (had to do last set on chairs)

Extra: 1 x giant set

HLL tuck 10

Tucked v ups 10

Flutter kicks 30

Russian Twist 40 (30+10)