Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Arm Pull Up Mechanics Vs Oa Chin Up

jinn

Hey guys,

I tried some one arm (OA) top position chin ups (CU) holds - I think Coach suggested them for increasing strength in weighted CU.

Then I tried some pronated OA pull up (PU) top position holds - didn't quite work out, but I noticed something I want to ask you now:

OACU is basically like a narrrow grip two armed CU.

But OAPU is not like a narrow grip two arm PU, but more like a neutral/parallel grip PU with a little twisting so as to look like a pronated PU ?

Because that is what I felt.

Thanks a lot

Connor Davies

I'm actually interested to know how similar they are bio-mechanically.  I've seen several OAC without any twisting but I've never seen a one arm pullup done with perfect form.  Why is this?

Now I'm not an expert, but regarding the OAP and not perfect form I think it's a lot harder to make clean than OAC due the mechanics of the scapula.. But cant tell if its impossible or not hmm.

I've got a friend who's doing them both. However he says he needs to prioritize which one since he claims that he only can do one of the variations a time. Like if is in a period doing OAC he cannot perform a OAP and vice versa. I find a bit strange but what do I know :)

Would you consider Cisco's OAPs as executed with clean form?: 

How about these at 1:14: 

I would say the OAC and OAP are both similar to a narrow grip pull-up/chin-up and don't think there is a difference with mechanics of the scapula between the two. Also, I feel that you don't really twist much or at all in the OAP and maybe only a miniscule amount of twisting toward the pulling arm near the top and I feel that you're far more likely to twist in a OAC than OAP. 

I used to do the OAP, but I have switched to OACs because it was easier and I could pull higher (chest to bar from deadhang) and also retract at the top. For the OAP I could only pull as high as Cisco's and can't retract at the top. I have also never seen anyone do a OAP all the way with the chest to bar so I'm not sure if it's possible to pull that high, but I think it's possible because I think it uses the brachioradialis a lot near the top and it's probably because I was not very strong with those muscles thereby prevented me from pulling higher because I remember dropping from the very top of a OAP lock-off and feeling pain in that muscle.

Thanks for the replies

as far as I can see it on the first video (can not watch the second because of music rights or whatever in my country):

Yes there is: at about 0:41 for example. For me, starting position is pull up pronated grip but it changes to pull up neutral/parallel grip and then at the top back to pull up pronated grip.

But maybe I dont see it very well. Also, I wouldn't know for sure, since I can not do a OAP, but that's why im asking.

Well he did twist, but it was a very tiny amount and his body was still facing facing forward a lot and not even halfway between facing perpendicular to the bar and parallel to the bar so I wouldn't consider him changing to neutral grip. I have done OAPs before and I've never noticed any twisting, but it might be like Cisco's though (hardly any twisting).

For OACs, I like to start facing parallel with the bar (neutral grip) and then twist 90 degrees toward the bar to supinated grip. I've also done OAC with the body facing the bar with supinated grip the whole time before, but the body has to be turned slightly away at the bottom and you barely twist a little toward the pulling arm to face perfectly perpendicular to the bar as you ascend. I think the only form of OAC/OAP that can be done without any amount of twisting in the body or grip are OA neutral grip pull-ups as I never noticed any twisting when doing those.

In the end, I would say the mechanics for both the OAP and OAC are the same and that there will be some amount of twisting unless you stick with a neutral grip or partially neutral grip the whole time. 

• Upvote 1

Well he did twist, but it was a very tiny amount and his body was still facing facing forward a lot and not even halfway between facing perpendicular to the bar and parallel to the bar so I wouldn't consider him changing to neutral grip. I have done OAPs before and I've never noticed any twisting, but it might be like Cisco's though (hardly any twisting).

For OACs, I like to start facing parallel with the bar (neutral grip) and then twist 90 degrees toward the bar to supinated grip. I've also done OAC with the body facing the bar with supinated grip the whole time before, but the body has to be turned slightly away at the bottom and you barely twist a little toward the pulling arm to face perfectly perpendicular to the bar as you ascend. I think the only form of OAC/OAP that can be done without any amount of twisting in the body or grip are OA neutral grip pull-ups as I never noticed any twisting when doing those.

In the end, I would say the mechanics for both the OAP and OAC are the same and that there will be some amount of twisting unless you stick with a neutral grip or partially neutral grip the whole time. 

Thank you - That's what I was looking for. I got it halfway with my oacu, but I just felt, there was something odd whenever I tried oapu partials or anything of that kind