This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

TANSTAAFL-The Epoch of Man...umm, I mean, WO Log

Started by Josh Schmitter, July 14, 2011 · 224 Replies · 10,542 Views

Josh Schmitter

Sleep:Felt pretty good again. Have been sleeping on my side instead of back these days. I trained myself to sleep on my back and was doing fine with it for a while, but for some reason it's not working too well at the moment. Perhaps a pillow/neck alignment issue.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8282

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD:90s for sets/2min between FBE.

1x10 Wrist Pushups(knees)

4x5 Plank Walks(7 steps forward/back = 1)

2x5 Pike Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Press HeS

5 min rest.

HS Cycles(Stomach to Wall/floor HS): Wrist about 5" away from wall

-1x11 cycles 30s on/1min rest

3min Rest

-1 more cycle

-1x10 wrist pushups on knees

Notes:

-Something went horribly wrong with Plank Walks today :). I believe it was because this is the first day I've done them as CWW would be, i.e. 7 steps forward, 7 back. Before I was doing 21 steps forward, then 21 back...and for some reason that was much easier. I had to break them up into sets of 5 with feet on the floor, and even that was very rough.

-HeS Presses felt pretty damn good, much easier than usual.

-Finally finished all 12 cycles in 1 go. Granted it wasn't the rx'd 45s rests, and I am thinking I might be not fully shrugged at times, but a step has been climbed nontheless.

Josh Schmitter

Sleep:Felt pretty good. Slept in a little, so had a blah/off cycle feeling upon waking, but other than that felt ok.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8299

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD:4 rounds/rx'd rests

2 Negative Front Pulls(5s)

7 Pulls ups(4/5 pallet band)

2 Negative Front Pulls(5s)

7 Pull ups(4/5 pallet band)

2 Negative Front Pulls(5s)

7 Rows(145 angle to floor)

Notes:

-Subs a little off for this one. I realized too late that I should have used 5 pallet bands the whole time. My forearms were fried by mid round two. 3rd round was a little broken with 6 + 1 sets, and added the 5th band for the last set. I had to go down in the basement to get another as I've had 2 break recently. I should probably just shell out and get some nice bands, but funds are tight right now.

-On the plus, pre-reqs felt really good today.

Other:

-Slizz's Shoulder Stretch(12x30s)

-Lower Leg Prehab A/3x20 ankle circles each direction(been doing this before bed most nights)

Josh Schmitter

Sleep:Not too bad, eh.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8309

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD: 3 sets

[-4 Chair Dips(2121)/1:40 rest

-4 Pull ups(2121)/1:40 rest

-Ring Strength 1(minus MU + roll)]

-1 more set of dips/pulls.

5x15s/60s rests

-Tuck L-sit Hang(90/90)

-L-sit Low

-German Hang

2x10 Wall Ext(303 tempo)

Notes:

-Dips/Pulls(as well as modified ring series) all felt excellent today. Another day of feeling a little blah/sore(esp. after dy pull yesterday), then feeling/performing really well. Will hopefully up it to 5x4 next time around. I felt like I could have done it today if pushing to the limit.

-Low L-sit was very rough

Josh Schmitter

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8332

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD:

15s German Hang/3 Tempo Rows([degrees]160[/degrees]), 3 Tempo Pulls(4 pallet band)

15s L-sit Bent/5 Tempo Dips(2 full, 3 Foot assist on ascent, no tuck PL)

15s L-sit Hang(90/90)/5 Tempo HLL(90/90)

10 BWW(5,5)

Notes:

-Forearms/grip killed today. HLL last 2 sets were very rough...then slightly behind in toughness came tempo dips, pulls, and rows.

Josh Schmitter

Sleep:Pretty good the past few days, hopefully it will keep up.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8339

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD:4 rounds/rx'd rests

60 sec Jump Rope(140 avg. skips)

30m Sled/Tire Sprint(71lbs, alt. slight decline/incline)

60 sec Jump Rope

20m Squat Jumps(Slight Decline grass/Avg. 20, 6 broken sets/last set 15,5:didn't finish distance)

60 sec Jump Rope

10 Depth Jumps(Off car)

Notes:

-Worked very hard today. Last round kinda fell apart...couldn't finish the distance for squat jumps, feeling very unstable. Other than that, felt pretty good. Probably should have just scaled down a bit with the jumps doing them stationary or finishing the just the broken part with regular squats as explosively as possible.

Josh Schmitter

Skipped due to more than normal fatigue/muscle soreness after the previous dynamic leg day. Also just overall feeling a little unmotivated/blah, but have been sleeping well. Perhaps the diet getting under wraps.

Josh Schmitter

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8362

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD:90s for similar sets/2min between FBE.

-4x4 Plank Walks(7 steps forward/back = 1)

-2x5 Pike Press HeS

-2x10 Straddle Press HeS

5min rest

HS wall runs(First 5 Regular Wall Runs, All subsequent Box HeSPU runs)

-2 x [30s on/60s off x 10]/5min between sets

-2x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

Notes:

-Actually added another regular wall run to the first set. Was very tough, but felt I had to try as I've been stuck at 4 for a while. Had some nice delt/trap soreness about halfway through the second set, but some lacrosse ball work definitely helped between each wall run.

Josh Schmitter

Sleep:Felt a little sore waking, not sure why. Slept pretty good though.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8375

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD:4 rounds/rx'd Rests

Complete four rounds:

2 Plank Walks(7 steps forward/back = 1)

12 Pike Pushups(2nd step)

2 Plank Walks

8 XR Push ups

2 Plank Walks

6 Floor Push ups

2x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

Notes:

-Tried negative Dips first time through...not remotely possibe. If anything comes before something, my endurance strength is non-existant. Even what I ended up scaling to was probably a little too much. Should have done something like 8 floor pushups and 6 knee pushups.

Josh Schmitter

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8384

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD: 3 sets

[-4 Chair Dips(2121)/1:40 rest

-4 Pull ups(2121)/1:40 rest

-Ring Strength 1(minus MU + roll)]

-2 more set of dips/pulls.

Later in the day:

5x15s/60s rests

-Tuck L-sit Hang(90/90...played with extending legs)

-XR Plank Hold

-German Hang

2x10 Wall Ext(303 tempo)

Notes:

-Had to split this up due to time constraints today. Finally got to 5x4 of dips/pulls, but this was very difficult. Dips were very hard, but pulls were ridiculous for some reason...esp. since yesterday was a dy push day. Last set of pulls was very rough/possibly bad form last rep.

Josh Schmitter

Sleep:Been pretty good lately. Waking up a little sore in my normal mid/lower back on the left side the past few days though. Perhaps just sleeping on it weird...or maybe it's just my kidney slowly dying :).

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8398

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD:3 sets each/rx'd rests

15s L-sit low + 5 Tempo Dips

15s GH + 5 Tempo Chins(2 pallet band)

15s L-sit Hang low + 5 Tempo HLL tuck-half

10 BWW(5,5 few steps down...little farther/felt better than normal today)

Notes:

-WU sets were floor/XR pushups and rows at 2 angles. Performed tempo as 2s concentric, 1s pause, 3s eccentric.

-Dips were very hard. Last set was 4,1, and even then that 1 was almost not completed.

-Chins were hard, but not more so than usual(i.e. last rep/last set=1 before forearm failure), which is good since I used less assistance than normal. Granted the tempo is not as demanding for me as a longer pause at the top or longer total TUT.

-HLL as always forearms giving way first. Could do more like straight leg half if forearms weren't an issue.

-GH have felt really good the past few times they came around. Getting full extension at hips and shoulders, also can breath a lot easier in the position.

Other:

Ido's Shoulder/Scap Routine

Lower leg prehab A/3x40 ankle circles

Josh Schmitter

Sleep:I'm gonna go 'head and say it was pretty crappy. Lots of tossing and turning as well as zombie-like state from around 6-8am. Felt pretty sore again...back and ankles. Almost like lots of tension while sleeping. We'll see.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8407

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req WU

WOD:4 rounds/rx'd rests

1 GH pull, 1 Neg(6s)

6 – Pull ups(3 band assist)

1 GH pull, 1 Neg(6s)

6 - Rows(160ish degrees)

1 GH pull, 1 Neg(6s)

10 Towel Rows(almost standing)

Notes:

-Felt pretty good today. Yet another example of waking up feeling like death, and having a really good workout. Tried to do 2 GH pulls, but there was no way I could keep it up.

-Going to rehash my SSC hopefully this weekend and do some FSP pre-req testing next week. I can't really say they have gotten much easier on the whole, but it's been 12+ weeks.

Josh Schmitter

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8431

General WU

Wrist Routine

FSP Pre-req Testing

WOD:3 sets each/rx'd rests

10 Unweighted SLS

5 Half GHR

6 Supine Wipers(10lbs)

60m Backward Sprint(Sled only, alt. sleight decline/incline)

4x15 Straddle L-Bent

Standard Leg Stretching

Notes:

-Everything was hard, but good except for the backward sprint which quickly turned into a jog(esp. on the incline). Was debating on doing this unweighted after the 1st round to get more of the sprint aspect, but alas...I did otherwise.

-FSP Pre req testing today:Plank and Hollow hold today...not happy with hollow(basically no progress), will post all results on log and in a new post when finished at the end of the week.

Josh Schmitter

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8438

General WU

Wrist Routine(upped from 5 to 8 reps of all variations on knees/15s rest between each. Hard.)

FSP Pre-req testing

WOD:90s for sets/2min between FBE.

1x10 Wrist Pushups(knees)

4x5 Plank Walks(7 steps forward/back = 1)

2x5 Pike Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Press HeS

5 min rest.

HSPU Ladders:3 Rounds, 6 wall runs between each, 5min rest between 1/2 rounds

-5 Pike Pushups 2nd step

-3 Pike Pushups(49in from wall)

-2 Full ROM dips

1x10 wrist pushups on knees

Notes:

-Plank Walks definitely harder than last they came up(in any way). Pretty much to failure at the 5th one of each set. Think I pushed too hard with these.

-Pike Press HeS felt really good, Straddle still very difficult toward the last couple reps of both sets, mostly in lower back.

-Ladders felt about the same as last time, dips almost to failure when at the end of a round(2/3).

Josh Schmitter

Taking the rest of this week and probably all of next week off. Made the mistake of starting my Pre-req testing without any break, along with poor sleep on top of it. I am hoping a nice week of prehab and whatnots will cure what ails.

Josh Schmitter

Finished up another SSC w/ the pre-reqs...actually around 3.5 months. The problem is there was little to no progress made. My times went down or stayed pretty constant excluding Hollow and Reverse Plank. Some of this, I believe, has to do making them slightly harder after testing(i.e. going to tops of feet for Plank), making sure shoulders back and down for support. But I even moved my arms straight up for hollow(was doing about 120 degrees to floor) and to the sides for arch about a month ago and even testing in those positions there was still not much/if any improvement.

I'm thinking of taking blairbobs advice and trying to chalk up 2-3 min. Probably doing a regular WU, then doing them again later in the day to make up the difference. I'm also at odds whether to keep doing them in a superset fashion(ala slizz) or 3 in a row(ala coach). With the latter I'm not sure how I would need to adjust times. Anyways, sorry for the ramble, I'm off to read all the pre-req threads again before starting something up this upcoming week.

Plank(feet elevated, tops of feet) - 105s

Arch hold(arms side)- 42s

Arch Hold(arms back)-50s

PB Support - 80s

Hollow Hold(arms 90 degrees) - 51s

Reverse Plank - 62s

Chin up Dead Hang - 80s

Josh Schmitter

General WU

Wrist Routine(New)

FSP Pre-req WU(Slightly new)

WOD:4 rounds/rx'd rests

2 – 1/2 tuck crank

10 -Towel Rows

2 – *Straddle Body Levers*

6 – Pulls ups(3 pallet band)

2 – 1/2 tuck crank

6 – XR Rows(160 degrees)

Notes:

-Felt really good today coming back after about a week off. I was doing Negative tuck front pulls for this in the past, but today I started with Body levers(also going to add these in WU) and then was happy to find I could do 1/2 crank in a tuck position without too much trouble. If I didn't alternate straddle body levers I believe my grip/forearms would have been pushed too hard. Last round of pull ups very hard.

*I know it's not really a perfect scale as ideally it should be a sub I can do for all the rounds, but as it's my grip/forearms that are the limiting factor, I feel like even Front Pull negatives are a problem. Any feedback much appreciated.

Josh Schmitter

WOD: 3 sets

[-4 Chair Dips(2121)/1:40 rest

-4 Pull ups(2121)/1:40 rest

-Ring Strength 1(minus MU + roll)]

-2 more set of dips/pulls.

5x15s/60s rests

-Tuck L-sit Hang Low(about 110 degrees)

-XR Plank Hold

-German Hang

2x10 Wall Ext(303 tempo)

Notes:

First set of dips/pulls tough, after that felt pretty good. Last reps of last set tough, but I will most likely be moving on to 3x5 next time round.

Statics very hard last round.

Josh Schmitter

Pre-reqs very hard today. Slept crap the past few nights...right after starting to workout again....hmmmm.

WOD:3 sets of each/rx'd rests

15s GH + 5 Tempo XR Rows(about 140 degrees)

15s L-sit low + 5 Tempo XR Pushups

15s L-sit Hang Low + 5 Tempo HLL Half/Bent-quickly turned to tuck V-ups.

10 Bridge Wall Walks(5,5)

Notes:

-Rows very hard with tempo. XR Pushups I got a little overconfident as I could not complete the last rep of the last set(also was a broken set of 3+1).

-This is getting frustrating with my HLL. Whenever they are at the end of the WO w/ tempo my forearms are toast and I can't complete the sets as rx'd. Today I had to do a broken set on the first time through, so I figured I'd just do tuck V-ups as I have no other ideas. If anyone has any suggestions, please send them by flaming chariot.

Coach Sommer
TANSTAAFL said:
Rows very hard with tempo.

8)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Josh Schmitter
Coach Sommer said:
TANSTAAFL said:
Rows very hard with tempo.

8)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Don't get me wrong, I much appreciate the comment coach, but I must say I'm not really sure of it's meaning :).

Josh Schmitter

Slept better last night. Which is strange as I slightly overworked in the WOD and was out playing laser tag intermittently from 9-12. Woke up feeling very stuffy/allegeryish, but that is normal for me. I also awoke feeling much better than usual(run down, very lethargic, etc.), actually awake, ready to begin the day. Back feeling really good today/last night as well. Really wish I could figure this out.

WOD:4 rounds/rx'd rests

60 sec Jump Rope(130 skips avg.)

5 Depth Jumps(off car)

60 sec Jump Rope

10 Box Jumps(waist high)

60 sec Jump Rope

15 Squat Jumps

Standard Leg day Stretching

Notes:

-Took it a little light today with the jump ropes and squat jumps(on grass mostly stationary). Felt pretty good. Looking forward to a few rest days.

Josh Schmitter

Since Thursday I have slept gorgeously and my left lower back pain was almost nonexistent. I have no idea why as I was out late Th and Sat playing laser tag and poker respectively. I had some back pain upon waking this morning, but I was able to go back to sleep(around 6am) and re-awoke with no pain. Hopefully this will continue, but today it was intermittent, so bah to that. Also started up rice bucket again(smacking myself for not doing this earlier) to fix my forearm weakness. Check 1st page for details.

WOD:3 rounds/rx'd Rests

-5 HeS RLL

-5 GHR Half

-10 SLS

-20m Sled Sprint(81lbs)

-4x15s Straddle L bent

-Standard Leg Day Stretching

Notes:

-Everything felt pretty good today. SLS were a little harder than I would have liked by the 3rd round. Probably could have gone a little heavier on the Sled Sprints.

Josh Schmitter

Slept pretty good again. Not like the incredible Th-Sun stint, but still much better. Back pain still intermittent, but also still much less than normal. Hopefully it will keep.

FSP Pre-reqs felt a little better today, but still pushing pretty hard on the 3rd round.

WOD:90s for similar sets as well as FBE.

-1x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

-5/4x4 Plank Walks(8 steps forward/back = 1/1st set 5 reps)

-2x5 Pike Press HeS

-2x10 Straddle Press HeS

5min rest

HS wall runs(First 4 Regular Wall Runs, All subsequent Box HeSPU runs)

-2 x [30s on/60s off x 10]/5min between sets

-1x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

Notes:

-Added 1 rep to first set of Plank Walks. HeS Presses felt really good today.

-Going to backpedal on the Wall Runs for the next time around. Last time I was at 5 x Full Wall Runs, 15 Box HeSPu runs...this time I could barely make 4 full. So the plan is to do all Box HeSPu runs until I can do it comfortably w/out a large 5min break in the middle. Possibly upping times from there if I don't have a problem doing 20 sets straight of 30s on/60s off.

Josh Schmitter

Another good night sleep and little to no back pain. FSP Pre-reqs still wrecking though.

WOD:4 rounds/rests as rx'd

2 Plank Walks(8 steps forward/back = 1)

5 Pike Pushups(1st step)

2 Plank Walks

10 clapping Pushups(4th step)

2 Plank Walks

20 Pushups(4th step)

2x10 Wrist Pushups(knees)

Notes:

-2nd round harder than the 4th. Overall very tough.

Josh Schmitter

Sleep still good...everything super hard today though. Don't know if I can keep it up.

WOD: 3 sets

[-5 Chair Dips(2121)/1:40 rest

-5 Pull ups(2121)/1:40 rest

-Ring Strength 1(minus MU + roll)]

5x15s/60s rests

-Tuck L-sit Hang Low(about 110 degrees)

-XR Plank Hold

-German Hang(foot assist last 3...shoulders very sore/tight from Wall Run WOD)

2x10 Wall Ext(303 tempo)

Notes:

-Little bit stuck here. Could not complete 5th rep during the 2nd set(dips just barely, pulls nota). I had just completed 5x4 for a few weeks(on each ring day), and thought I was ready to move on. Now I'm not sure whether to hang out at 5x4 for a little longer, or change it up to some more volume(i.e. 10x3) for a few times. Humph...killroy template keeps cropping it's way into my head.