This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 120313

Started by Coach Sommer, March 13, 2012 · 10 Replies · 2,529 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x10 Cast Wall Walks

2x5 Pike Box Press HS

2x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders

Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes then start the Walking HSPU Ladders.

8 ) Begin with Box HeSPU; perform 2 reps then immediately do 6 steps of HS Wall Runs. Take a few breaths and then move on to Negative HeSPU performing 2 reps followed by 6 steps of HS Wall Runs, continue on upward through the HSPU progressions in this fashion until you reach the hardest variation you are capable of, rest 3-5 minutes and then reverse ladder back to the beginning. You will now have completed one round.

9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds.

10) Adjust the reps in the Walking HSPU Ladder as necessary. If performing two reps at a time is too difficult, drop to one repetition of each variation. If performing two is too easy, increase to three, four or even five reps per variation.

Josh Schmitter

General WU

Wrist Routine(upped from 5 to 8 reps of all variations on knees/15s rest between each. Hard.)

FSP Pre-req testing

WOD:90s for sets/2min between FBE.

1x10 Wrist Pushups(knees)

4x5 Plank Walks(7 steps forward/back = 1)

2x5 Pike Press HeS

2x10 Straddle Press HeS

5 min rest.

HSPU Ladders:3 Rounds, 6 wall runs between each, 5min rest between 1/2 rounds

-5 Pike Pushups 2nd step

-3 Pike Pushups(49in from wall)

-2 Full ROM dips

1x10 wrist pushups on knees

Notes:

-Plank Walks definitely harder than last they came up(in any way). Pretty much to failure at the 5th one of each set. Think I pushed too hard with these.

-Pike Press HeS felt really good, Straddle still very difficult toward the last couple reps of both sets, mostly in lower back.

-Ladders felt about the same as last time, dips almost to failure when at the end of a round(2/3).

Sven Ravnstag

A couple of questions on this one:

It may be obvious, but say you can do only 4 steps of handstand progressions due to ability or lack of a bar for korean dips. Does that mean you add an entire additional up and down ladder? That seems like an awful lot of additional volume in exchange for 2 korean handstand pushups and six wall runs?

Also, when it says 6 handstand wall runs between sets, does that mean 6/side, or six total (3/side)? I've been doing 6/side.

Thanks for the insight gents. I'm really loving these workouts and learn something new every time! Much appreciation to Coach and all the fine contributors to the forum. It almost makes up for my parents not having me learn gymnastics as a child :)

Josh Schmitter

As far as wall runs, it's 6 total(3 per side). As far as the Ladders...your guess is as good as mine. As you can see I scale down ridiculously for ladders, so you could do something like that to add another step to sub for koreans(i.e. make a slightly harder variation of an elevated or something of the like). Other than that, I'll probably find out when I go to the seminar in September, but that's a long ways away, and I probably won't be able to give out the info anyway :). Maybe someone else can chime in.

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks man. I need to make it to a seminar myself!

Vincent Stoyas

I'm not sure how you should do another round either. If I understand correctly, you want to get to 10 progressions. If I can only do 4 progressions of the HS per set and I do 2 sets of the 4 progressions then I have two more left.

That sounds confusing, but pretty much I do something like

Complete 2 rounds:

6 wall runs

2 Negative HeSPU

6 wall runs

2 HeSPU

6 wall runs

2 Elevated HeSPU

6 wall runs

2 Negative Full ROM HSPU

So after I finish two rounds (both up and down), I still need to do 2 more progressions. So should I pick the 2 hardest, 2 easiest, or the 2 I feel will provide the most challenge to finish to the complete 10th exercise?

This is how I always finished...For example, I'd go through the above exercises for 2 rounds (up and down) and then do this last set below once (upon and down).

Complete 1 round:

6 wall runs

2 Negative full ROM HSPU

6 wall runs

2 Elevated HeSPU

Is that correct?

Alvaro

1x10 wrist pushups

2x5 cast wall walks (It´s hard to pass that 5th rep!)

2x5 pike box press HS (improving strength, equilibrium, and flexibility a bit)

2x10 straddle box press HS (the same!)

walking hspu ladders, Here I made a mistake , I was a bit distracted and only performed the ladders upwards :?

3X:

6 wall runs

2 box HeSPU

6 wall runs

2 barbell press with 25 kilos

6 wall runs

2 Negative HeSPU (with a 3 inch thick matt but it is the first time I can do this safely!)

as I finished a bit too fresh, I realiced I had forgotten half the WOD :oops: , I was running out of time so added some more presses just to round up the volume.

Ben Hart

A question re: the walking handstand ladder. I watched slizzard's video on youtube from a while back and it was helpful, but I'm still a little unclear. Here is what I did:

2 Box HSPU

6 Shoulder Taps

2 HSPU

6 Shoulder Taps

2 HSPU w/ hands on 3" of plates

6 Shoulder Taps

2 HSPU w/ hands on 5" of plates

6 Shoulder Taps

2 HSPU w/ hands on 8" of plates

6 Shoulder Taps

REST 3 min.

Then I went in reverse order starting with the 8" plates down to the Box HSPU.

Is that the entire ladder or does one need to do it more times up and down?

I am guessing that after 10-12" of plates, one moves on to doing ring HSPU.

Sven Ravnstag

Up and then back down again is one round I believe. Do as many rounds as you need to based on how many "rungs" you go up in the handstand series. It's 10 if you only do step 1 and 1 if you go all the way to step 10, and 5 if you make it to step 5. As far as the other permutations go, your guess is as good as mine. I'm guessing maybe you round to the nearest?

Vincent Stoyas

As for Benhart's question...you need to repeat that once more.

You moved 5 rungs up the ladder and need to do 10.

I'm curious to the progression after HSPUs too. I assume once you do full ROM HSPU that you should move off the wall and start all over again until you can do full ROM HSPU freestanding and then move to rings. Is that at least correct?

diotrephes

Wod

Light warm-up

Wrist pushups, 1x10

Cast wall walks, 4x5

Wall Straddle Press Eccentrics, 15x

Walking HSPU Ladders, 2 rungs / 2 rounds, then 1 rung / 6 rounds

Wrist pushups, 1x10

Brutal workout..