This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FLeXi's Workout Log

Started by Bryce Warren, November 29, 2010 · 226 Replies · 13,023 Views

Bryce Warren

Had to get in two sessions today cause I still felt great after my first in the afternoon. Pushed the weights up pretty heavy, I was getting a little too comfortable with what I've been lifting, no more of that.

Giant Set : (4 sets)

Bench Press - x 2 (165 LBS)

HLL Circular - x 4

DB Flies - x 4 (50 LB DBS)

HeSPU - x 3

Giant Set : (4 sets)

Squats - x 5 (155 LBS)

DB Shrug - x 5 (65 LB DBS)

HLL Tuck - x 5

Superset : (4 sets)

DB Shoulder Press - x 5 (47.5 LB DBS)

Lying Down BB Tricep Extension - x 4 (50 LBS)

Max Push-Ups - 2 x 11, 13 (+45 LBS)

Wide-Grip Pull-Up - 4 x 4

Max Wide-Grip Pull-Up - 1 x 7

2nd Session : (Trying something a bit different with these, throughout the set I keep a decent amount of tension on the muscles being used for the exercise through the rest phase, which is around 20-40 seconds, so the muscle is never entirely relaxed. Example would be with hammer curls, after my set is done I'll keep my arms partially bent, holding the weight up just enough to keep my bicep active, then continue onto the next set.) (All I can say is, it hurts)

Shrugs - 4 x 12 (45 LB Vest + 25 LB DBS)

DB Hammer Curls - 3 x 10, 6, 6 (25 LB DBS)

DB Shoulder Press - 3 x 10, 6, 6 (25 LB DBS)

Crunches - 3 x 10

PB Partial Dips - 3 x 10

Bryce Warren

I hate the famine days that just don't work out. Everything was perfect, had my last "meal" at 6:30 and was in bed, but with one problem, I was wide awake and couldn't fall asleep, I was lying there until 12:30 from around 9. So I started to starve and couldn't finish off the night :evil: :x Had a huge meal from the thanksgiving leftovers, then of course I was able to sleep shortly after finishing. It's like my body didn't want to sleep until it ate properly, ridiculous!

As for my workout today, I probably won't be having one since I'm pretty drained from the last few, and I've got a weird pain in the left side of my back, another reason I wasn't able to sleep. I've got a buddy to train though so I'll be doing some light cardio after I fix up his routine and he's off doing what he needs to do. Probably going to do a moderate paced walk with a higher incline.

Philip Chubb

I have tried similar. I don't feel like the famine days really support a high level of work very well. Hope it gets better for you if you keep it up.

Bryce Warren

I feel like I can keep the body fat to a minimum doing feast famine but still keep gaining lean muscle, trying to boost the pounds but keep the fat off as much as possible. So far not so bad, and I've been eating pretty horrid too lol, once I go shop and get the proper food everything should be excellent, if all goes well that is. Tomorrow is another day, and I'll be training along with the famine so, we'll see how it works out.

Bryce Warren

As for my training today, I'm doing 10s floor L-sits followed by 10 diamond push-ups for every death of mine on Warcraft xD It's not supposed to be that tough but I'm really gettin' it right now, so it's not turning out to be that easy hah. Better smarten up soon or I'll be real sore tomorrow xD Some rest day...

Bryce Warren

Well I woke up saying I wasn't gonna train, but big surprise, I went back to bed for another 2 hours and felt great so of course I went. Famine day isn't bad today, but we'll see what the night brings...

Giant Set : 3 Sets

Straight Leg Deadlift - x 10 (125 LBS)

Wide-Grip Chin-Up - x 6

HLL - x 7

Wide HeSPU - x 10

Giant Set : 3 Sets

Inverted Row - x 10

Korean Dips - x 10

Close-Grip Chin-Up - x 6

Bar Slow Negative Muscle-Up - x 2

Superset : 4 Sets

Wide-Grip Bench Press - x 7 (125 LBS)

Shoulder Front Raise - x 14 (7 each side) (10 LB Plates)

Giant Set : 4 Sets

PPPU - x 8

Wide-Grip Chin-Up - x 4

PB Dips - x 10

Superset : 4 Sets

DB Hammer Curls - x 10 (22.5 LB DBS)

DB Wide Shoulder Press - x 10 (32.5 LB DBS)

I don't know what it is about bar muscle-ups, but I cannot do them.....I first learned them on the bar about a year ago, but haven't done them since I got my rings. They now feel entirely impossible, especially since the bars at the gym have 0 grip, I can't use false grips or anything. That might be a huge reason I'm not capable, I need to buy some grippy gloves :shock:

Bryce Warren

Well this is fantastic...The first time I get more serious about HSPU and working on my weakness which is keeping elbows into sides while doing them, I get injured...When I started walking my hands to the wall I got a huge pain in the middle of my spine, and now it hurts to have my spine support me in any way, standing, walking, sitting down. How the heck did this happen? And wtf happened?!?!?!? Every time I get injured it's something I have no idea why it even happened, always something random. Hopefully this goes away by tomorrow if I just lie down and rest.

Bryce Warren

Well this'll be a post for yesterday, pain in my back is gone so workout is back to normal, and feeling excellent. I split it up into 2 sessions, I feel better doing it this way, I get my energy back during the break and feel 100% the whole time.

Session 1:

XR Assisted Muscle-Up - 4 x 3

XR Chin-Up - 4 x 3 (+45 LBS)

XR Tuck FL - 6 x 10s

Session 2:

Piked PB Full ROM HSPU - 4 x 3

XR Row - 4 x 4 (+45 LBS)

Floor Tuck Planche - 7 x 7s

Wall HS - 4 x 40s

Does anyone know the pros and cons from longer training session vs high intensity exercises throughout the day? (doing a set of weighted pull-ups, dips, etc every 10-30 minutes. I did this when I hurt my back to make sure I wasn't straining and my muscles never felt like they cooled down, I felt good just going for a set of weighted pull-ups right from sitting down after a tv show or a game.

Philip Chubb
FLeXi said:
Does anyone know the pros and cons from longer training session vs high intensity exercises throughout the day?

I have read that the shorter ones are better for your testosterone levels.

Bryce Warren

Yea I was thinking it might actually have some benefits, and if that's the case, it allows me to get good rest in between each set and really push harder with full force and not tire what so ever. I tried looking around for something on it that actually had some thought put into it but came up empty. Maybe I'll just post up a thread for it, see who comes up with what.

Philip Chubb
FLeXi said:
Yea I was thinking it might actually have some benefits, and if that's the case, it allows me to get good rest in between each set and really push harder with full force and not tire what so ever. I tried looking around for something on it that actually had some thought put into it but came up empty. Maybe I'll just post up a thread for it, see who comes up with what.

Poliquin writes about it all the time. Usually something about your sessions shouldn't be longer than an hour. Also, the Bulgarians are known for doing around 5 small sessions a day.

Bryce Warren

That sounds awesome, I'd definitely be willing to do 5 smaller sessions a day. Wonder what it would consist of, is this just pure strength work? fbe's and statics?

Philip Chubb

You would have to modify it. The Bulgarians did it for the olympic lifts so it would be snatches then clean and jerks then squats ect ect. The upper body is a bit different.

Bryce Warren

Yea, I'm sure I could figure it out. Recently I've been doing a different push/pull + static each session. Might just stick to that for a while.

Bryce Warren

My workouts have been very scattered and hard to keep track of lately so not much posting for me, I'll see what I remember from yesterday though. Had 2 split sessions yesterday so today will be a rest, feelin' pretty beat up.

Yesterday:

Afternoon:

XR Support - 3 x 35s

XR MU Transition Dip (Dipping just below the transition then pressing back through it) - 4 x 3

XR OAC - 4 x 1 (each arm)

XR Tuck FL Pulls(?) - 4 x 4 (The question mark is because I didn't see these in the book or anywhere else, it's pressing into a FL from dead hang, instead of doing a pull-up then dropping into a FL. If you have the name for this please enlighten me lol.)

XR Full BL to GH (hold/slow lower through) (Assisted by lats for now :oops: ) - 3 x 6s descent followed by 10s GH (Managed to hold is for a few on the first rep, then a little less the 2nd time, and the 3rd I just lowered through it. The 6s is just a guess of the average.

Night Session:

Giant Set: 2 Sets

7s Push-Ups

Chin-Ups - x 10

Beast Push-Ups - x 10

Half Chin-Up Hold L Kicks - x 20

7s Push-Ups

Chin-Ups - x 10

Giant Set: 2 Sets (All done with 44 LB Vest)

Weighted Killers - x 12

Calf Raises - x 12

Weighted Killers - x 12

Giant Set: 3 Sets

XR Chin-Up Grip Rows - x 10

Tuck Planche - x 7s

Vest Bicep Curl - x 6 (3 each arm) (44 LB Vest)

HLL - x 10

Side Plank - x 20s each side (44 LB Vest)

Shrugs - x 20 (44 LB Vest + 15 LB DBS)

After all that we went outside to get some fresh air and continue training. This consisted of side bends, shoulder presses, walking lunges, "kettlebell" swings, bicep curls, and several other exercises paired separately and done in either super or giant sets. All done with logs/stumps, yes I have my own pieces I hide in a bush near my house to use when I feel like! They're the perfect weight as well which is awesome. Also it's a hassle to change my vests weight therefor I usually don't lol 44 lbs is usually plenty and pushes me harder depending on the exercise.

Bryce Warren

Wow, I don't think I've ever felt pain in my lats before, I don't know what I did (probably a variety of exercises leading to it) but holy cow are they sore today. I started doing seating muscle-ups for my first session today..and after the first set they just burned like freakin' crazy! I still finished 4 sets of the muscle-ups but wow.

Afternoon:

Seated Muscle-Up with slow descent - 4 x 2,1,1,1

PB Piked HSPU - 4 x 3

PB L-Sit - 8 x 8s

If anyone knows good suggestions for working full ROM HSPU with elbows in, let me know! Currently I've got my feet raised on a platform, piked, and using parallettes so I can go the full ROM. Will update later on with my other sessions.

EDIT: Second part of the day which I forgot to post up.

Night Session:

Giant Set: 4 Rounds (Done one after the other no rest)

XR Support - 15s

XR Tuck FL - 15s

XR Tuck BL - 15s

XR Dips - 4 x 7,6,5,4

XR Inverted Curls - 4 x 7

XR Flies - 4 x 11,6,5,5

XR HS - 2 x 30s

The exercises after the set of static holds were basically testing to see how many I could do, next time I'll be able to set it up properly for whatever needs to be done. Right now I'm focusing 2-3 sessions a day, strength in 1-2 30 minute sessions and higher volume for around 1-2 hours in the next. Each session being several hours apart, perfect nutrition in between. Trying to keep the strength gains coming along with growth/mass.

Philip Chubb

Try it negative at first, then put your feet back on the platform and push back up. If you can't do freestanding HS then try doing it with your stomach facing the wall and letting your feet just barely touch it.

Bryce Warren

Negatives I'll definitely be working with on the parallettes, but I can't do the platform part of it at the same time, so I'll alternate the negatives and platform hspu on different days. Doing the negatives right now and wow are they difficult, feels like it works the same part of the tricep as muscle-ups.

Philip Chubb

That will work too! One of the things I did was do a negative on chairs with my stomach facing the wall and staying hollow. Then, I would use the wall by walking my toes up and pushing as hard as I could with my shoulders. Eventually I didn't need my toes anymore. But for your current goal, negatives will help you build full rom the fastest unless you have a certain sticking point.

Bryce Warren

How the heck do you get close enough to the wall with your stomach when you're using chairs or any kind of elevation?

Philip Chubb

Turn them so that the seat part is directly against the wall and really strive to keep your shoulders open. Probably helps to have chairs that are shaped well for this. Go figure.

Bryce Warren

Yea that just seems like a major struggle to face the wall lol, unless it's just doing regular hespu without other objects involved. I've just started doing weighted hespu as well today, they felt awesome I don't know why I didn't do this before, I didn't think the vest would stay for some reason :oops: Oh well I'm definitely going to be looking forward to seeing improvements in my hspu from this point on. Also decided to religiously start working planches and xr rto supports, the supports are pretty good I'm doing 2 x 40-45s at the moment, tuck planches SUCK I can barely hold 10s on the floor...pathetic.

PLANCHE PLANCHE PLANCHE PLANCHE PLANCHE!!! (This is my focus now!)

Well, here's todays sessions:

1st Session:

Superset:

Weighted Wide HeSPU - 4 x 4 (+15 LBS)

HLL Top Half - x 4

Weighted Pull-Up - 4 x 2 (+40 LBS)

Tuck Planche - 6 x 7s

2nd Session:

Assisted OAC - x 2 each arm (2 fingers assisting)

Seated Muscle-Up - 4 x 1 (Tempo 3,2,5)

Yewkis (Tuck) - 4 x 4

XR RTO Dips - 4 x 3

XR Support - 2 x 40s

Planche Leans - 4 x 5

Serratus Anterior Push-Up - 4 x 10

Explosive Toe Pushes - 4 x 10 (Threw this in just cause I wanted to see how it felt, feels good on the calfs)

Bryce Warren

Well I'm going to write out my sessions for today when I wake up and finish my exam, woohoo :roll: And yes my sleeping patterns are totally wack atm, sleeping at 7-9 am, waking around 4-6 pm. So here's what my plans are, and I hope I stick to them.

1st Session:

Shrimp (Beginner) - 4 x 3

Assisted OAC (Palms In) - 4 x 2 each arm (2 Fingers assisting)

XR PPPU - 4 x 3

HLL Full - 4 x 3

Tuck Planche Fingers Back - Getting the balance, did many sets trying to hold it

Floor L-Sit - 5 x 10s

2nd Session:

GHR Piked - 4 x 4

Superset:

Chin-Ups - 4 x 2 (+60 LBS)

PB Dips - 4 x 3 (+65 LBS)

RLL Tuck (HS Against Wall) - 4 x 3

XR Support - 2 x 40s,45s (Didn't think I could bust out 2 sets of 45, but apparently I could've, hate when that happens)

Planche Leans Fingers Back - 4 x 5

Well by the end of this, my biceps are toast....Very fun day, but brutal for the arms, they cry for food and rest, as does the rest of me.

EDIT: Turns out I had to work so I was able to workout with the guy I was training, did my legs it felt pretty good for a last session.

3rd Session:

Squats - 4 x 4 (+165 LBS)

Heel Raises - 4 x 10 (+175 LBS) (I've actually never done this in the squat rack, it's nice having a decent weight for it.)

Bryce Warren

Not really feelin' it today but I'm pushing through as much as possible, don't know what's up but it's kind of a down day for me it seems. One session is finished and I've got 1 left. Also have class today around the time I should be going back to sleep, so that's gonna be a kick in the teeth.

1st Session:

Weighted Push-Up - 4 x 12 (49 LBS), 1 x 37 (to failure with bodyweight)

BB Bicep Curl - 4 x 17 (30 LBS) (It's weird how difficult such a light weight is with high reps and low rest time)

BB Shoulder Press - 4 x 15 (50 LBS), 1 x 18 (to failure, 50 LBS)

I had another session here but I have no idea what is was :oops:

Bryce Warren

Wow what messed up days I've had, stayed up for 20 hours, trained 2 times for myself and had to train again in class for an assignment. After that I slept for 4-5 hours and couldn't stay asleep for some reason, woke up once in between and decided to just get up after the 2nd time. So I'm awake again and training some more.

1st Session:

Superset: 4 Sets

Weighted HeSPU (Facing Wall) - x 3 (+20 LBS)

Weighted HLL - x 3,4,4,4 (+5 LBS)

OAPU (2 fingers assisted) - 4 x 2 each arm

RTO Dips - 4 x 4

2nd Session:

Superset: 3 Sets

Chest Press - x 10 (90 LBS)

Push-Up - x 10

Giant Set: 4 Sets

Crunches (+15 LBS) - x 20

V-Sit - 20s

V-Ups - x 5

Crunches - x 10 (Passing 15 LB DB)

Superset: 4 Sets

Oblique Crunches - x 20 each side (2 sets no weight, 2 sets 15 LB DB)

Floor Windshield Wipers - x 10 (5 each side)

Superset: 4 Sets

Wide-Grip Pull-Up - x 4

Behind Neck Shoulder Press - x 4 (1,0,4)

Pronated Grip BB Curl - 4 x 4

BB Curl To Shoulder Press - 4 x

BB Curl - 2 x failure (20, 18) (40 LBS)

BB Shoulder Press - 2 x failure (22, 26) (40 LBS)

I don't know what's with my obsession, but when I train I just want to keep going and going, it's too damn fun.