This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FLeXi's Workout Log

Started by Bryce Warren, November 29, 2010 · 226 Replies · 13,023 Views

Bryce Warren

Finally starting my workout log, looking forward to getting any kind of advice from you guys. I'm 19, 5'11, and 161 LBS just to let you know. My main goal is usually focused on parkour training, but right now I'm really focused on other skills. My goals right now are: Flat Tuck FL, Straddle Planche, Adv. L-Sit, HS Press, Side Lever, and Muscle Ups (without kip). At the current time, here I am with my goals: Tuck FL - :10 x 6 , Tuck Planche - :08 x 8 , L-sit - :10 x 6 , Straddle HeS Box Press (box around one and a half feet off the ground) , Side Lever Negatives (Tuck) , Kipping Muscle-Ups. I just recently started doing the WOD and adding my static holds into my WU, and adding my own exercises where needed. Any tips would be great, especially on active hip flexibility (pike too). I've recorded down the last 3 days so I'll start this post with the workout from 3 days ago.

Thursday, November 25/2010

WU:

Joint Rotations

HS Training - 5:00

Low Straddle L - 4 x :05

Tuck FL - 8 x :08

Four Rounds:

Shuttle Run - 60s

Hopping Pull-Ups With Toe Touch - x5

1/2 FL Pulls - x5 (3,2)

Towel Pull-Ups - x10 (4,3,3)

Friday, November 26/2010

WU:

Joint Rotations

HS Training - 5:00

Cast Wall Walks - 1x10 (5,2,3)

Pike Box Press HeS - 1x5

Straddle Box Press HeS - 1x10 (3,3,4)

Walking HSPU Ladders - 2 Rounds Of:

Box HeSPU - x4 , 6 Steps Of HS Wall Runs , Negative Box HeSPU - x4 , 6 Steps Of HS Wall Runs

HeSPU - x4 , 6 HS Wall Runs , Negative HeSPU - x4 , 6 HS Wall Runs

HeSPU + 1 Inch - x3 , 6 HS Wall Runs , Negative HeSPU + 1 Inch - x3 , 6 HS Wall Runs

HeSPU + 2 Inches - x2 , 6 HS Wall Runs , Negative HeSPU + 2 Inches - x2 , 6 HS Wall Runs

Wrist Push-Up - 2x10

Sunday, November 28/2010

WU:

Joint Rotations

HS Training - 10:00

Tuck Planche - 4 x :08

PPPU - 3 x 4

Tuck FL - 3 x :10

Tuck FL Pull-Ups - 3x4

L-Sit - 3 x :10

Kipping Muscle-Ups - 1x5 (resting 1 min or less between each)

Straddle V-Ups - 3x5

Broadjumps - 3x8

Tuck Side Lever Negatives - 2x3 (Each Side)

Bryce Warren

Monday, November 29/2010

WU:

Joint Rotation

Four Rounds:

Shuttle Run - 60s

Senders - 32'6

Jumping Deck Squats For Height - x 10

Depth Jumps - x5

Pull-Ups - 3x5

Weighted Pike Stretch - 2 x :30

Bryce Warren

Wednesday, December 1/2010

WU:

Joint Rotations

Handstands - 5:00

Tuck FL - 6 x :10

Tuck Planche - 6 x :10

L-Sit - :10, :10, :10, :15, :15

Muscle Ups - 10:00

Towel Pull-Ups - 3 x 10 (5,3,2)

Wide Grip Pull-Ups - 3 x 4

Tuck Side Lever Negatives - 3 x 3

Run back home - 10:00

Bryce Warren

Thursday, December 2/2010

WU:

Joint Rotations

Handstand Training - 10:00

3 Sets Each:

1 Embedded Tuck BL + 3 Tempo Assisted OAC (each arm)

1 Embedded PB L-sit + 5 Tempo HeSPU + 1 Inch

1 Embedded Tuck FL (15 sec) + 6 Tempo Supine Windshield Wipers

Bridge Wall Walks - x 10

Weighted Pike Stretch - 2 x : 30

Reverse Hypers - 5 x 5 (15 LBS)

Joshua Naterman
My goals right now are: Flat Tuck FL, Straddle Planche, Adv. L-Sit, HS Press, Side Lever, and Muscle Ups (without kip). At the current time, here I am with my goals: Tuck FL - :10 x 6 , Tuck Planche - :08 x 8 , L-sit - :10 x 6 , Straddle HeS Box Press (box around one and a half feet off the ground) , Side Lever Negatives (Tuck) , Kipping Muscle-Ups. I just recently started doing the WOD and adding my static holds into my WU, and adding my own exercises where needed. Any tips would be great, especially on active hip flexibility (pike too). I've recorded down the last 3 days so I'll start this post with the workout from 3 days ago.

My first and probably my most useful suggestion is to change your goals. Your goal is not straddle planche until you have achieved 60s adv tuck planche. Since you are currently practicing tuck planche your current goal should be 60s tuck planche. Once you achieve that, you change your goal to 20s adv tuck PL so that you can safely SSC that. THEN you change your goal to 60s ADV tuck PL, and once that happens your next goal is straddle planche. This seems nit picky but I can assure you from personal experience that it is very, very important. Straddle PL is a long way off in the future. You need to set achievable short term goals, and every time you meet them you set a new achievable short term goal. This keeps your mind focused on the task at hand. If you focus on wanting that straddle PL it is very easy to try and jump ahead and push hard, because achieving that goal is way way off in the future and you want to get there. By focusing on simply achieving a 60s tuck PL you will feel less pressure and your training will probably be more enjoyable. That is simply my suggestion, and it is how Coach insists all of his athletes approach their training. There's a good reason for that: it keeps you motivated and prevents you from trying to do too much and ending up injured. I've done that and it sucks. Don't do the same.

The above paragraph applies to ALL your statics.

I have noticed that a lot of your holds are short. Are your max hold times with perfect form at least double the time you are using for the working sets? If they are not, you need to go back a progression. That may seem stupid, but you will have much better progress if you start with the very first progression in everything and work your way up to 60s before trying the next thing. Don't say "ah, 55 is close enough. NEXT!" Get to 60 with PERFECT form. That's key, because it means you have the strength you need. If you start losing form then SOMETHING is too weak and needs time to catch up.

As far as MU go, you need to be spending your MU time on 2 things: False grip development and slow MU negatives. False grip development is everything right now. You will NEVER do a non-kip muscle up if you A) can not support your weight at every moment in the full ROM, and B) can not hold the false grip. You have to be able to do both. Eventually, at some point in the far future if you practice consistently, you will be doing slow MU without a false grip, but just like the FSP that is not a current goal. Current goal would be 20-30s false grip hangs. After that, false grip pull ups with wrists at the lower chest. That, combined with very slow negatives starting with the bottom of the dip and taking AT LEAST 10s (initial goal) and eventually 30s(end goal) to move from the bottom of the dip to the top of the pull up. When you can do that AND the false grip pull ups you should have absolutely no problem repping out muscle ups with no kip or swing.

Russian dips will also help you, watch my youtube video on that to learn more.

Dreadrok

It seems completely redundant and stupid to quote all of slizzardmans comments, so I wont. That being said, I wish that I did all of that for injury/motivation reasons.

Example:

in my last ssc, i was doing full BL holds for about 7 seconds as work sets, at this point in time I had never even held even a tuck BL for 60's. as a result I experienced pain that still is annoying me in my left elbow upon full extension. That lead me to not train as frequently, and eventually I stopped. Motivation was hard to keep u because I was jumping ahead so much, that the work was becoming so taxing that there was never really an underload phase, and mentally I would just slug through the motions. not efficient at all.

Once my gvt cycle is over, im switching directly to this method. SSC from the ground up no jumping ahead no impatience.

Bryce Warren

I haven't done max holds for these, just do the amount of time i can stick to with perfect form, that's what I've read and what I've been doing, I don't make it so my body gets hurt from it, but is still not easy for me. The reason I set those goals is just for more long term. I know it's important to not rush these things, that's definitely one of the many things I've learned while reading up on this stuff for the last few months. But I see where you're coming from, so I think I'll be setting shorter goals. Also I was just thinking about doing the negatives actually, but I'll add the false grip training in there as well. When I was training at the gymnastics center I didn't have a problem holding false grips, I was going to start these up again when my rings came in (which should be in a week or less :D). As for progressing too quick, I know for the planche I can do the previous requirement for 60s no problem, bl I'm not positive, I'll test it just to make sure, and l-sit I know I'm where I should be (think I'm going to start taking it to the floor though). I never actually thought about that while I've been training so thanks for that I'll keep it in mind from now on. One thing I really need is how to increase active flexibility, for L-sit, straddle, etc. I'm desperate for this right now lol, I hate not being able to do things proper. Does actually doing these holds help the flexibility? I thought it should be helping but I'm not positive.

Dreadrok

i would really recommend doing your max holds. It will give you good information on where your at and your progress, as well as help to design a more efficient static routine.

Bryce Warren

Yea I'm planning on it when I'm all healed up. Just going to stick to the scapular and rotator cuff strengthening for the next few days, just some light stuff.

Bryce Warren

Friday, December 3/2010

Ido's Shoulder ROM & Stabilization/Scapula Mobilization Routines

Titanium Ankles Routine

Bryce Warren

Sunday, December 5/2010

WU:

Joint Rotations

Idos Shoulder ROM And Stabilization/Scapula Mobilization routines

Tuck FL - :26, :34

Tuck BL - :30, :30

Four Rounds:

HS Wall Run - 60s

Clapping Push-Ups - x 4

Korean Dips With Under-Hand Grip - x 5

Swinging Dips - x 12 (6,6)

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Bryce Warren

Monday, December 6/2010

Today is a test of one of my routine days that I put together last night, found a few things that needed to be changed, such as a few reps on the weighted killers, and the total rounds was changed from 3 to 4. Did skipping to get the heart rate up instead of the shuttle run because I decided to do it all at home today, so skipping was easier :P still got me going though.

WU:

Joint Rotations

Ido's Routines

4 Rounds:

Fast-Paced Skipping - 60s

Weighted Killers - x 10 (15 LB Dumbbell In Each Hand) (Switching this to 12 from now on)

Tempo GHR - x 5 (3s descent, slight push into a 2s ascent)

Tempo Reverse Hypers - x 5 (15 LBS) (3s ascent, 2s hold, 1s descent)

Weighted Pike Stretch - 2 x :30 (15 LB Dumbbell In Each Hand)

Joshua Naterman

For the active flexibility, I will have to make a video I think.

This is probably going to sound stupid, because it sounded stupid to me when I read it, but there is another thread about now to develop active flexibility and Marlon posted a really ridiculous-sounding quote from a dancer he knew. Basically, they say to push with the hamstring. Well, as we all know (and as Marlon pointed out in his post) this is not how hamstrings work. No muscle pushes, they all pull, so why the hell would you try something like that?

Well, since there was no obvious risk of injury to trying this I tried it at the train station in 35 degree weather, with no warm up. I immediately made a PR on both standing pike and standing straddle pike. As I had made a guess about when I first read the post, by thinking this way you are in fact telling the hamstring to relax. The rest of the flexing will be taken care of reflexively it seems, as my abs and hip flexors were still firing, but the bulk of my concentration was on lengthening the hamstrings by trying to push the back of my hip and knee joints away from each other. This worked wonders and I will continue to use this visualization method. By the way, I do not use my hands for assistance at all. I was able to touch my elbows to the floor with my forearms resting on the top of my head in the straddle pike (HUGE PR) and I went at least 3" further in my standing pike. I was about 5 inches away from being able to kiss my kneecaps (probably a 4" improvement at the very least). Pretty awesome if you ask me.

I will cover this and some supplementary work in a video, but for now that should help.

Bryce Warren

Very interesting, never heard of anything like that before. I'll give it a try, and looking forward to that video, thanks.

Bryce Warren

Well I found it this routine is definitely going to be a challenge, everything got so tense after doing bl - towel pull-up haha, fun though. Swinging dips are far more challenging than they look for sure. Looking forward to the end result of the 12 weeks. Stoked for tomorrows workout!

WU:

Joint Rotations

Ido's Routines

4 Rounds:

BL (15s) - Towel Pull-Ups x 12 (4,4,4), (6,6), (6,6), (8,4)

FL (15s) - Tempo Half-Lay Body Lever Negatives x 6 (3s) (Switched to these instead of side lever pulls, only place for side lever pulls is on a bar outside my gym, and sadly it rained today so no grip)

L-Sit (15s) - Swinging Dips x 12 (6,6), (6,6), (8,4), (5,5,2)

False-Grip Full ROM Pull-Ups - 2 x 5

Bridge Wall Walks - x 10

Weighted Pike Stretch - 2 x 30s

Bryce Warren

Bit sore today, but pulled through fairly well. Made another few tweaks in the routine, elevated HeSPU are officially +1 inch, tempo makes it ridiculously hard to do, piked box HeS presses are now full-out to the floor piked HeS presses, apparently I progressed since the last time I tried these, and last switch-up is the hs wall runs, switched from 10 mins to 5 mins, I found these really difficult so next 12 week set-up I'll boost up the time and work to the 10 min mark.

WU:

Run To Gym - 10 Minutes

Joint Rotations

Four Rounds:

BL (15s) - 1/2 FL Pulls x 5 (3,2 / 4,1 / 3,2 / 3,2)

FL (15s) - Tempo Elevated HeSPU +1 inch x 5 (3s,2s,1s) (3,2 / 4,1 / 3,2 / 3,2)

L-Sit (15s) - Pike HeS Presses x 5

HS Wall Runs - 5 Minutes (60s,30s,30s,30s,45s,40s,37,28s)

Full ROM Dips - 2 x 5

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Straddle L Work - 60s (6 sets of 10 seconds, really cramps up my hips)

Still up for some good info on active flexibility, slizzardman has given some good info, not over-looking that, I just want to know all there is for this.

Bryce Warren

Completely spaced on writing yesterdays workout so here it is. Kind of just a messin around day, havin some fun with different stuff.

WU:

Joint Rotations

Skipping - 5:00

German Hang - 3 x :15

Muscle-Up Negative Work - 7:00

Freestand HS Training - Holds, Slow Negatives To Low Hold

Couple capoeira techniques, different Au variations, kicks, etc.

Justa lighter day for messin around, and now off to todays workout.

Bryce Warren

Great workout today, everything felt really good, muscle-up negatives were the best I think, feels better every time. Only one change in my routine this time, fixed muscle-up negatives from x 3 with a 5s tempo to x 2 with 10s tempo.

WU:

Joint Rotations

Ido's Routines

Four Rounds:

Tuck BL (15s) - Tempo OAC x 3 (3s,2s,2s)

Tuck FL (15s) - Tempo HLL x 4 (3s,3s,1s) (4 / 4 / 3,1 / 3,1)

L-Sit PB (15s) - Tempo MU Negatives x 2 (10s)

False Grip Full ROM Pull-Ups - 2 x 5

Wall Extensions - 2 x 10

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Bryce Warren

Only one change once again, switched the tempo and reps of the reverse hypers from 3s,3s,1s / x 5 to 2s,4s,1s / x 4

WU:

Joint Rotations

Ido's Routine (Not all, have a bit of an irritation in my shoulder, so had to watch a few things today)

Shuttle Run - 60s (For each round of (fl - weighted killers) and (bl - tempo ghr) only.

FL (15s) - Weighted Killers x 12 (15 LBS)

BL (15s) - Tempo GHR x 5 (3s,3s)

L-Sit (15s) - Tempo Reverse Hypers x 4 (17.5 LBS) (2s,4s,1s)

Full ROM Dips - 2 x 5

Straddle L Work - 60s (15,11,13,13,8 / getting a lot better with these already)

Weighted Pike Stretch - 2 x 30s

Bryce Warren

First time doing personal records for pull-ups and dips today, actually surprised at where I'm at, definitely motivational for me.

HIIT - x 3 rounds of 3 minutes, 20s sprint, 40s run

Quite a few rounds of 1 rep sets until finally reaching my current limits:

1 Rep Pull-Up Max - 75 LBS / 46% BW

1 Rep Dip Max - 85 LBS / 52 % BW

Bryce Warren

Missed yesterdays post so here's yesterday and todays workout.

December 16 - Lighter day, didn't have too much time

WU:

Jog - 3:00

1 Rep Muscle-Up Negatives - Worked on this for about 15-20 mins, resting between each

HS Training - 5 Minutes

Today Mid Day- Rings finally arrived today, so of course I had to test some stuff out, so today was rather fun :D

WU:

Shoulder ROM & Stabilization / Scapula Mobilization Routine

Squat Clinic Routine

Rotations Into Low Bridge - 2 x 10 (5 each way)

QDR Rotational Push-Ups - 2 x 10 (5 each side)

XR Support Hold - 3 x 15s

XR Muscle-Ups (Knees On Ground) - 7 x 1

Ring Strength Series - 1/2 FL Pull, Inverted Hang, Drop To Flat Tuck BL, Drop To German Hang, Roll Back To Inverted Hang, x 2 Inverted Pull-Ups, Drop To Hang, Bulgarian Pull-Up

Wrist Stretches

Tonight -

WU:

Joint Rotations

Wrist Stretches

Free-Stand HS Work - 5:00

One-Arm HS Work (Against Wall) - 5:00

1 Leg High Bridge Push-Ups - 2 x 5 Each Side

QDR Static Hold - 4 x 10s Each Side

Intermediate QDR Push-Ups - 4 x 4 Each Side

Shrimp - 2 x 5 Each Leg

Hollow Hold - 2 x 15s

Bryce Warren

Posting for yesterdays workout

Sunday, December 19

WU:

Joint Rotations

Squat Clinic

Free-Stand HS Training - 15:00 (Managed a new PR, 15s hold)

Piked HeS Press - 3 x 5

Straddled HeS Press - 3 x 5

QDR Intermediate Push-Ups - 3 x 10 (5 Each side)

HS Hold Flat Against Wall - 2 x 60s

Wrist Stretches

Bryce Warren

Shoulder healing up good, not positive on what the cause of it was, but it's almost gone and I'll be back to full training, slowly getting the intensity back up to full. Lucky for me the injury didn't limit me too much, only had the discomfort in a couple positions, mainly a bit in dead hangs. Anyways, here was todays training sesh.

WU:

Joint Rotations

Four Round Circuit (No Rest Between Exercises, 3 Between Rounds)

Deck Squat - x 10

PPPU - x 10

HLL - x 10

HeSPU - x 10

Jump Squats - x 10

5 Minute Rest Before Ring Strength Series

Ring Strength Series - x3

MU, Bulgarian Dip x 2, Back Roll To FL (4s Hold), Back Roll To Flat Tuck BL (4s Hold), Back To Dead Hang

XR Support Hold - 2 x 30s

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Bryce Warren

WU:

Joint Rotations

Shoulder ROM & Stabilization - x 2

Squat Clinic

3 Rounds

Rotations Into Low Bridge - x 10

Rotations Into Arch Using Wall - x 10

Rotations Into High Bridge - x 10

Au Cortado - x 10

QDR Rotational Push-Ups - x 10

Mini Ring Series x 3 - 1/2 FL Pull, Inverted Hang, Lower With Straight Body To German Hang, Piked Front Roll To Dead Hang

Bit of playing around with xr support, au cortado, pull-ups, role, false grip training, and hs training.

Later tonight some time, going to practice QDR static holds for a bit.

Bryce Warren

Back into the routine again, felt pretty decent today, think I found what caused my shoulder problem, almost certain it's the front lever. Every time I try and get a bit lower on the tuck so I'm leveled out, I feel that spot a bit. Maybe I'm trying to hold it below level, it's hard to tell because both the mirrors are blocked by the punching bags on the sides of me, sigh. I'll get a spot next time, see what's going on. Few more permanent changes, side levers are now switched to body levers, due to always crap weather, so I can't run out and use the bars outside. Sort of a half lay position for the body levers, slightly more tucked though. Had to fool around with it today to find the right position to where my strength level is at. Also weighted pike stretch, now changed to lying down band hamstring stretch. On the plus side, apart from the shoulder irritation, everything seems to be coming along a bit better now, everything is getting slightly easier as time goes, and my balance is coming along well with handstands. Still one problem, I don't feel like my active hip flexibility is getting anywhere, especially with p-bar L-sits. I can't seem to keep my legs leveled with the bar for very long, if at all. Any advice is welcomed.

Afternoon Workout:

WU:

Joint Rotations

Wrist Stretches

4 Rounds:

BL (15s) - Towel Pull-Ups x 12 (8,4 / 7,5 / 8,4 / 9,3)

FL (15s) - Tempo Flat Tuck Body Levers x 4 (5s,1s, so 5s descent, 1s ascent) (4 / 2,2 / 4 / 4)

L-Sit (15s) - Swinging Dips x 12 (12 / 7,4,1 / 10,2 / 10,2)

Full ROM False-Grip Pull-Ups - 2 x 5 (No chalk, had to re-grip after each rep, very slippery :oops: )

Bridge Wall Walks - x 10

Lying Down Band Hamstring Stretch - 2 x 30s (Each leg)

Evening Workout:

Lots of balance training including QDR practice, HS, and one-arm HS against the wall.

Seated Pike Stretch (Hands beside thighs, lifting legs in piked position, for a total of 60s)

Seated Straddle Stretch (Hands in between legs, lifting legs in straddle position, for a total of 60s)

Slizzardman's Shoulder Stretches, 10s of each (1st vid)