This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FLeXi's Workout Log

Started by Bryce Warren, November 29, 2010 · 226 Replies · 13,023 Views

Philip Chubb

Quick question. On your front levers, are your shoulders rounding at all? I found that gave me a little shoulder pain and when I fixed that it felt great.

Bryce Warren

I never really understood rolling shoulder, and just shoulder positioning in general, seeing as I never have anyone to show me exactly what I'm doing, so correcting mistakes such as that are difficult. But it sounds like a possibility, if you could give me examples, pictures, or something to show me shoulder positions, then I could tell you what I'm doing with a better understanding, otherwise I'm just guessing.

Philip Chubb

Rolling your shoulders is when your shoulders come forward instead of in line with your back. When you pull, your shoulders shouldn't pull forward but should stay in good line with your back. Watch Slizzardmans shoulder video. In part of it, he shows what rolled shoulders look like.

Bryce Warren

To tell you the truth I think I do that quite often, I tried to feel the different shoulder positions a bit before I left the house, and I think my shoulders normally roll forward, it feels quite awkward to try and keep them in line with the body, I'll have to take some pictures to find out for sure what I'm doing.

Bryce Warren

Thank god it's the weekend, upper body is just torn down, sore as hell. Minor changes in the routine, setting the reps for tempo elevated hespu from 5 down to 4, and I forgot to mention that my levers are now being done on rings, along with all my full ROM pull-ups and dips. Anyways here's todays workout.

WU:

Joint Rotations

Wrist Stretches

BL (15s) - 1/2 FL Pulls x 5 (5 / 5 / 3,2 / 3,2) (Improved, wasn't able to get 5 good ones straight before)

FL (15s) - Tempo Elevated HeSPU +1 Inch x 4 (3s,2s,1s) (4 / 4 / 3,1 / 3,1)

L-Sit (15s) - Pike HeS Presses x 5

HS Wall Runs - 5 Mins (40 / 35 / 30 / 40 / 28 / 35 / 45 / 47)

Full ROM Dips - 2 x 5 (5 / 3,2)

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Straddle L Work - 60s

Bryce Warren

Yesterdays Session:

HS Training

Au Cortado Practice

Piked HeS Press To HS (sets of 1 rep, practicing keeping balance while doing the push-up)

Pike / Straddle Stretches

Bryce Warren

Onto todays workout, new achievements made so today was pretty sick. Finally got a muscle-up down without kipping, only using pull-up power and legs kicking in front a bit, from dead hang. Found a way to get into a hs on rings as well, kind of sketchy for the first few times but it got a bit better.

WU:

Upper Body Joint Rotations (mainly shoulders)

Hip Stretches

Wrist Stretches

Handstand Training

XR Support Hold - 3 x 15s

MU Training - Quite a few sets of x 1 making it harder and harder until I finally went all out and went for it unassisted

Bulgarian Pull-Ups - 4 x 5

QDR Push-Ups - 2 x 10 (5 each side)

HeSPU - 2 x 5

XR HS Hold - 3 x 15s

Elevated Inverted Row - 3 x 10

Bryce Warren

Re-created my 3 month routine to better suit my current shoulder injury. Most likely will be changing a few things/updating in this one as well, seeing as I'm not sure where my strength is at with a few of these exercises. Not to mention I'm not sure if there's any discomfort in a few of them, soon to find out. Anyways here it is.

Monday: (4 Rounds)

XR Tuck BL (15s) - Tempo OAC x 3 (3s,2s,2s)

XR Tuck Planche (15s) - XR PPPU x 5

L-Sit PB (15s) - Tempo Half-Lay Body Levers (5s,1s)

Full ROM False-Grip Pull-Ups - 2 x 5

Wall Extensions - 2 x 10

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Tuesday: (4 Rounds)

Shuttle Run - 60s (Done at the beginning of each round of each exercise)

XR Tuck Planche (15s) - Weighted Killers x 12 (15 LBS)

XR Tuck BL (15s) - Tempo GHR x 5 (3s,3s)

L-Sit PB (15s) - V-Ups x 5

Full ROM Dips - 2 x 5

Straddle L Work - 60s

Lying Down Band Stretch - 2 x 30s (Each leg)

Thursday: (4 Rounds)

XR Tuck BL (15s) - Towel Pull-Ups x 12

XR Tuck Planche (15s) - Swinging Dips x 12

L-Sit PB (15s) - Tempo Half Lay Body Levers x 4 (5s, 1s, so 5s descent, 1s ascent)

Full ROM False-Grip Pull-Ups - 2 x 5

Bridge Wall Walks - x 10

Lying Down Band Stretch - 2 x 30s (Each leg)

Friday: (4 Rounds)

XR Tuck BL (15s) - German Hang Pulls x 5

XR Tuck Planche (15s) - Tempo Elevated HeSPU +1 Inch x 4 (3s,2s,1s)

L-Sit PB (15s) - Weighted Archups x 5

HS Wall Runs - 5 Mins

Full ROM Dips - 2 x 5

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Straddle L Work - 60s

Some days I like to get 2 training sessions in, my normal routine and then some skills training or just pre-hab. So I juggle around with most of these quite often, added a few new ones in there.

Pre-Hab / Weights:

Victorian Dumbbell Press

Weighted Reverse Leg Lifts

Shoulder Presses

German Hangs

Scapula Rows

HS

XR Support Holds

Hollow Holds

False-Grip Hangs

Shoulder/Scapula Strengthening/Mobilization (With Band)

Pike/Straddle/Hamstring/Shoulder Stretches

EDIT: After reading up some more on ring planche, I'm thinking I should be sticking to doing it on the floor for the time being, although I am working XR supports quite often, I'm not sure if I could handle ring planche yet. Unless it'll still be beneficial for me to do planche on rings as long as I'm working on XR support holds and XR HS? Advice on this would be awesome.

Philip Chubb

I worked on ring planches as well before too. There is also a progression for that. I think XR support, XR Lsit, XR Handstand, XR Press to HS, XR Planche. The XR press to handstand is really good. I end up stopping halfway through it and its is basically a planche position with piked hips. That helps get ready for planches very well. Also, you will want a planche on the ground before going for it on the rings. If you want to eventually take your planche to the rings, do your planches with your hands turned backwards. It might set you back if you aren't doing it now, but it will make a world of difference later. Hope that helped!

Bryce Warren

Perfect, everything I needed to know. Thanks a bunch. Off to train now, to test out my new routine, can't wait to see where my planche is at.

Bryce Warren

I was given some advice on my shoulder impingement by one of the trainers at my gym, lately he seems to be researching/training with re-hab exercises and something called Z Health. I've heard what he does helps a lot, some people had some pretty bad injuries. Anyways, he told me I should be focusing on more pulling movements instead of push/press. So I took that into account today, I still did some pressing but I took off my statics and changed workout. Here's what I did today.

WU:

Joint Rotations

Shoulder / Scapula Band Routines

Circuit:

Bulgarian Pull-Ups - 3 x 5

Chin-Ups - 5 / 10 / 10

Shrimp - 3 x 10 (5 Each Leg)

German Hang Pulls - 3 x 5

XR Support (Rings In) - 3 x 30s

Planche Leans (Feet about shoulder height) - 3 x 5

XR Dips - 3 x 5

Lying Down Band Hamstring Stretch - 2 x 15s (Each Leg)

Shoulder Stretches - 10s Stretches

Pike Stretch - 2 x 15s

Straddle Stretch - 2 x 15s

Bryce Warren

2nd Session Today - Pre-Hab / Re-Hab

Thoracic Mobility

Shoulder / Scapula Routines

Band Pull-Downs 3 x 10

Scapula Rows - 3 x 10

Shoulder Front / Side Lateral Raises (5 LB Dumbbell) - 3 x 10 (Each Arm)

Shoulder Stretches 15s holds

Bryce Warren

Yesterdays Session:

WU:

Joint Rotations

HS Training / 60s Hold

Wrist Stretches

MU Training

Ring Strength Series x 3 - MU, Dip Down To Back Roll, Inverted Chin x 2, Slow Lower To Tuck BL (Hold 2s), Tuck Front Roll

Weights:

3 Round Circuit - DB Shoulder Presses x 5 (30 LB Dumbbells 1st Set, 35 2nd Set, 40 LBS 3rd Set), Victorian Dumbbell Presses (10 LB Dumbbells) x 10, Reverse Leg Lift (3s Hold At Top) x 5

XR HS - 3 x 20s

False-Grip Hangs - 3 x 10s

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Wall Extensions - 2 x 10

Bryce Warren

Ended up messing around with bl and fl today, trying to get the form right, doesn't seem to be particularly easy. Either way, todays session:

WU:

Shoulder / Scapula Routine

Shoulder Stretch Routine

Squat Clinic

BL - 20s, 20s, 20s

FL - 10s, 10s, 10s

3 Round Circuit:

Half Lay Body Lever - x 4 (6s Descent)

GHR - x 4 (5s Descent, 2s Ascent)

Weighted Killers - x 12 (15 LB Dumbbells)

XR Support - 3 x 30s

Wall Extensions - 2 x 10

Bridge Wall Walks - x 10

Bryce Warren

Taking my week off of hard training, been going pretty intensely for a few months now, time for a bit of a break and some mess around fun. So, today I went out for some walking / jogging / sprinting with some parkour in between. When I got back I practiced handstands a bit and started training hs presses with back against the wall, and some assistance lifting feet, ending with cast wall walks. I found doing HeS presses wasn't getting me anywhere anymore, I needed to start straightening my arms. Other than that, my parallettes are finished, so naturally I'm going to go test those out, and I'm going to do that right now. STOKED :D

Bryce Warren

Still on my break, but trying to work some things out for when I start up again, I was thinking of switching my planche work onto the parallettes, so the planche static and pppu would be done on those, good or bad idea? It seems better imo to be working on bars because it gives the extra room of comfort rather than worrying about your legs near the ground, that's one thing that bothered me lots when I started them. That's not a problem with me now, so I can keep my legs tucked and decently high above the bars, but it feels stronger doing it this way than on the ground. Due to the grip I suppose? Obviously I'd still be preparing for floor planche in terms of wrist strengthening, but in the mean time until I can at least get a straddle or close to it I'd like to use the bars. So, comments?

Bryce Warren

Well today I went a bit easier, still did a fair amount of work for the first day back. Anyways here it is:

Noon:

WU:

Lots of messing around with rolls, pull-ups, and various exercises, basically because I'm putting a video together so I did a lot of exercises just basically 5-10 reps of 1 set each, easier exercises as well.

HS Training

Wrist Routine

XR Support - 2 x 30s

2 Sets : XR Tuck FL (15s) Immediately Followed By Straddle V-Ups x 10

2 Sets : XR Tuck BL (15s) Immediately Followed By OAC x 3

Wall Extensions - x 10

Evening:

WU:

Wrist Routine

(From Frog Stand Position) Press To Handstand - Multiple Sets Of 1 Or 2 Reps

(From Frog Stand Position) Press To Handstand On Parallettes - Multiple Sets of 1 Or 2 Reps

Tuck Planche On Parallettes - 2 x 15s

(Feet Elevated) PPPU On Parallettes - 2 x 5

Parallettes HS Training (PR was around 15s)

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Bryce Warren

Yesterdays Workout:

WU:

Wrist Routine

HS Training

Tempo Muscle-Up Negatives - 5 x 1 (8s)

False-Grip Pull-Ups - 3 x 5

XR Bulgarian Dips - 3 x 5

Todays Workout:

WU:

Shuttle Run - 60s

Wrist Routine

Free-stand HS - 60s

Push-Ups - x 10

Pull-Ups - x 10

Squats - x 10

HS Training

Max Pull-Up Test - 1 x 60,70,80 LBS

Squat Max Test - 1 x 130, 140, 165 LBS (No one to spot for me so didn't go further, feel like I could've fairly easily)

Rep Max Full ROM Dip On PB - x 20

PB HS Training

PB HSPU Depth Test - 6 x 1

Tuck BL - 2 x 60s

Flat Tuck BL - 3 x 10s

Yeah, today was a long day, but lots of 1 rep exercises in there with plenty of rest. Putting together a video for progression of 2010 so I wanted to get most of it out the way, time to relax for a few days though :P

Bryce Warren

Long day of stretching today using passive, active, dynamic, elastic resistance, and weighted stretches for around an hour and twenty minutes. Along with shoulder rom and stabilization, and scapula mobilization routines, I threw in a few cuban presses as well. Then finishing with some HIIT on the treadmill, starting with speed 6.0 and going up .5 each time until reaching the max of 12.0, with a rest speed of 3.5 for 30s, and the continuously changing active speed for 20s. So 20s active, then 30s rest, and repeat. All in all, fairly tiring day, stretching took a lot out of me, especially in the hips and glutes, and it was nice to have some fun running again, haven't for quite a while.

Bryce Warren

Well, it's a new year, so a bit of a new plan is in order. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed, always looking for opinions, so by all means.

Monday:

WU:

Shoulder Routine

Scapula Routine

Rotational Push-Ups

4 Rounds:

XR Flat Tuck BL (10s) - Tempo Assisted OAC (3,2,1) - x 4 Each Arm

XR Tuck FL (15s) - HS Press Against Wall - x 5

Parallettes Tuck Planche (15s) - Air Baby Extensions - x 5 Each Side

90-90 Iso Pull-Up Hang - (Reps/Hold Time TBD)

False-Grip Hang - 3 x 10s

Wall Extensions - 2 x 10

Tuesday:

WU:

Joint Rotations

HS Training

Locomotion Conditioning / QM

Floreio Workout (Going through 1-5, once that is done, chosen at random)

XR HS - 3 x 15s

Bridge Wall Walks - x 10

Wrist Routine

Thursday:

WU:

Joint Rotations

Shoulder Routine

Scapula Routine

HS Training

Four Rounds:

XR Flat Tuck BL (10s) - Half FL Pull (Flat Tuck) - x 5

XR Tuck FL (15s) - Tempo HLL (3,3,1) - x 4

Parallettes Tuck Planche (15s) - Tempo Muscle-Up Negatives (10s) - x 2

PB L-Sit (15s) - Tempo Half-Lay Body Lever (2,1,4) - x 4

90-90 Iso Pull-Up Hang (Reps/Hold Time TBD)

Friday:

WU:

Joint Rotations

HS Training

Locomotion Conditioning / QM

Floreio Workout

Tempo Cuban Press (3,0,3) (15 LB Dumbbells) - x 5

Victorian Dumbbell Press - 2 x 10 (12.5 LB Dumbbells)

Wrist Routine - x 2

Saturday:

Run - 5 Minutes

Skip - 5 Minutes

Stretching - Active, Passive, Dynamic, Elastic Resistance, Weighted

HIIT Training - 20s Work Followed By 30s Rest

Bryce Warren

Yesterday WOD:

WU:

Joint Rotations

HS Training

Locomotion Conditioning - 15 Minutes

Jump Rope - 5 Minutes

Shoulder ROM & Stabilization Routine

Squat Clinic

2 Rounds:

Rotations Into Low Bridge - x 10 (5 Each Side)

QDR Rotational Push-Ups (Hardest Beginner Variation) - x 10 (5 Each Side)

1 Extra Round: QDR Rotational Push-Ups (Hardest Beginner Variation) - x 10 (5 Each Side)

Full ROM Pull-Ups - x 6

Full ROM Dips - x 6

Bryce Warren

WU:

Run/Jog - 10 Minutes

Skip - 5 Minutes

Stretching - 90 Minutes

Wall Extensions - 2 x 10

False-Grip Pull-Ups - x 5

Full ROM Dips - x 6

Bryce Warren

Yesterdays Workout:

WU:

Joint Rotations

Shuttle Run - 60s

Practicing Capoeira / Floreio movements for around an hour and a half

Bryce Warren

Warm-Up:

Run - 5:00

Rope - 5:00

Jump Squats - 30s

Weighted Killers - x 12 (+7.5 LB DBS)

3 Rounds:

Weighted Killers - x 12 (+20 LB DBS)

Half GHR - x 5

Weighted Circular Arch-Ups - x 8 (4 Each Way) (+25 LB Plate)

Ended with:

Hip Extensions - 3 x 10 (1 set forward, 1 set sideways, 1 set circular)

Pre-Hab:

Ankle Routine

Wrist Routine

Cardio:

Stepper - 5:00

HIIT Run - 7:00

Bryce Warren

Warm-Up:

Run - 5:00

Push-Up Random Rotations

Pull-Ups - x 5

Chin-Ups - x 5

3 Rounds:

Clap Pull-Ups - x 7

Weighted Chin-Ups - x 5

360 Pulls - x 4

Inverted Curl - x 4

Ended with:

Kip-Up Training

HS Training