This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 Monday Updates/Confusion with new interface (merged)

Started by Gorjan Trivic, September 19, 2016 · 288 Replies · 18,798 Views

William Marler

I love the follow-along videos. Not to follow-along to during my workout, but to show me what Coach's expectations of form & tempo are. Having a video demonstrating technique slowly and deliberately is absolutely necessary for a student person to pick up the form; having a "technical notes" video to highlight common mistakes and walk through the nuance of an element is the next step, but then having the final work video showing what an acceptable set of reps is ties it all together. 

Coach & GB team: it sounds like you're debating about whether to do follow-along videos for the F3/F4 elements. I hope you at least do a step 9 video for the later elements to demonstrate acceptable tempo of a mastery set. 

 

Fabio Genesoni

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but the system moved me to a deload week today. Is this an issue that needs correction?

For the rest, my English is not good, so I limit myself to say that I feel like Santa Claus has arrived earlier than usual this year. :)
Thanks coach Sommer and GB staff.

John Enyeart

So, I know that the "test mastery" functionality was taken out, but is there any way to reconsider this? I just started F1 a couple of weeks ago, but before I started, I was already very physically active (rock climbing a few times a week + weight training a few times a week).

Before starting F1, I could already do single leg squats and rope climbs. I can do 15 pull-ups (strict, no kipping, chest to bar at the top and arms fully extended at the bottom) without much trouble. It feels a little bit silly that, for example, I now need to work my way up from 3 sets of 2 elevated deck squats. It just feels like it's ridiculously easy and that it will take me at least a couple months to progress to the level where I feel like I'm actually getting a workout on some exercises.

Perhaps I could test mastery on the condition that I submit form videos that undergo strict scrutiny before I'm allowed to "test out" to the next element?

Diana Thorne

I LOVE the new format. Maybe I'm just a much maligned 80%er, but I use GST to compliment my other training. Sometimes I do GST in my living room, sometimes at a powerlifting or crossfit gym, and sometimes in a hotel. It is immensely helpful to be able to complete the exercises I can get through with the time and equipment available to me, since that changes on a daily basis. This makes it possible for me to do SOMETHING every day - if I'm at a hotel, I just skip the elements requiring rings. If I'm at home, I skip the ones with dumbbells, since I don't own any, etc. However, I can STILL make progress by doing SOMETHING EVERY DAY which has been a big hurdle for me. I can actually foresee needing F2 sometime soon, and am planning to add in H1 since with this format, I'll actually be able to fold that in too.

I was also one of the many who were struggling with hinge rows and deck squats. I was logging failures for these exercises while doing the progressions (elevated deck squats, incline rows) to try and build up to them - so this makes complete sense. Now I can track the progressions I was doing anyway. 

To be honest, I'm laughing out loud at some of these comments. Do you guys think when gymnasts line up at the beginning of a workout and get their assignments from their coach, they then proceed to tell the coach what the workout should REALLY look like and how he could present the information in a more user friendly way? Suck it up.

Thanks @Coach Sommer & GST team.

Josh Shaw
18 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Christina,

- The progression change to SLS was necessary in order to help the vast majority of F1 students succeed.  You will need to begin again from SLS/PE1

- Upon reaching them, Hinge Rows will need to have mastery demonstrated once again.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

If someone has already mastered the old SLS/PE1-PE3 (now PE5-7), you still recommend they go back and test mastery on the new PE1-4?  I know it's typically a bad idea to assume mastery, but in this case wouldn't it be a safe assumption that if you've mastered deck squats and a couple progressions beyond, then there's no doubt you have achieved mastery on elevated deck squats and the progressions before? 

 

Also, is there a summary of mastery rep changes?  For example, Speed Skater Squats used to be 5 sets of 5 reps per leg for mastery.  Now it says 5 sets of 10 reps.  Is that 10 reps per leg, or 10 total?  I've noticed a few other instances where the mastery reps have changed.

Raul Kanter

Josh, have the old SLS/PE1-3 moved under F2 as PE5-7?

And interesting, if they (possibly) have bumped the reps for Speed Skater Squats from 5 to 10.

William Marler
11 minutes ago, John Enyeart said:

So, I know that the "test mastery" functionality was taken out, but is there any way to reconsider this? I just started F1 a couple of weeks ago, but before I started, I was already very physically active (rock climbing a few times a week + weight training a few times a week).

Before starting F1, I could already do single leg squats and rope climbs. I can do 15 pull-ups (strict, no kipping, chest to bar at the top and arms fully extended at the bottom) without much trouble. It feels a little bit silly that, for example, I now need to work my way up from 3 sets of 2 elevated deck squats. It just feels like it's ridiculously easy and that it will take me at least a couple months to progress to the level where I feel like I'm actually getting a workout on some exercises.

Perhaps I could test mastery on the condition that I submit form videos that undergo strict scrutiny before I'm allowed to "test out" to the next element?

I also found the "test mastery" functionality useful to be given a starting point based on what I achieved during the mastery test.

The new course format does not prevent you from doing mastery testing manually. Once you achieve mastery in an element, attempt the step9 level of the next element in the progression, and record your sets & reps. If you have mastery, awesome, progress to the next element on your next workout. If you do not have mastery, pick the appropriate step based on your sets & reps from the mastery test. It's important that you're strict with form & tempo, as always.

Note this is not my advice, it is taken from a post from @Luke Searra

Regarding deck squats being easy, and SLS now being F3 instead of F1, locking you out if you only bought F1: if you read back through the posts from Coach and the other GB staff on this very thread (it's a long thread, and annoying I know), unfortunately you'll find that they basically say "too bad."

John Enyeart
12 minutes ago, William Marler said:

I also found the "test mastery" functionality useful to be given a starting point based on what I achieved during the mastery test.

The new course format does not prevent you from doing mastery testing manually. Once you achieve mastery in an element, attempt the step9 level of the next element in the progression, and record your sets & reps. If you have mastery, awesome, progress to the next element on your next workout. If you do not have mastery, pick the appropriate step based on your sets & reps from the mastery test. It's important that you're strict with form & tempo, as always.

Ahh, that should work! Thanks for pointing that out!

I actually bought F1-F4, so I don't need to worry about the upper cap lock out, at least. :D

I'm really a big fan of Coach Sommers' progressions. I started with Handstand One and the stretch series before I jumped into foundation. I actually did gymnastics when I was younger, and although I was able to achieve things like muscle ups, middle split, etc. at the time, my coach taught things with more of a "just keep trying until you get it" approach rather than a structured set of progressions like GB has. This program really gives a very reliable and structured path to gaining these movements and skills that is better than anything I've seen anywhere else.

One of the best things about the program is the flexibility. If I'm a little slow on my manna progression, it doesn't keep me from progressing in the hollow back press, for example. I understand that the vast majority of users are going to need to start on the first step of PE1 for every progression, but for the people who are a little more advanced on one or more of the movements to begin with, it's nice to be able to start at a level appropriate to your current skill level.

Kevin Herring

I for one am not surprised that changes were made to RC and SLS.  Considering the number of posts from people stuck it was clear that most true beginners didn't have the strength/skills to do the work and move forward.  It is the responsibility of the coach to oversee the athlete's progress.  It's why we're here right?  For guidance and supervision. 

When I first started Arch Body Holds were SL/PE1.  The next week they weren't even in F1.  Now seated Russian Twists were in it's place.  It was explained that many beginners had strength deficits in other areas and the change was necessary to overcoming the more glaring weakness.  So I accepted it and got back to work.  

I never thought of Foundation One as being the end all be all.  It's only the beginning.  Here to eliminate my beginning weaknesses and prepare me for higher and higher levels.  While I don't like everything 100%, I do trust that the coach is doing what he believes is best for "the family" as a whole.  There are those who are better off because of the changes.  It may or may not be me. 

I'm just going to accept I'm not the only one here, trust the coach, and get back to work. 

Alessandro Mainente

Click of your foundations 1 course, then on the progression you want to see, the instructors video are labeled under Technique tip.

Everett Carroll

Hi Jordi, 

The videos of the follow along videos with instructors are played by clicking 'Follow Along Angle 1 or 2' next to the exercise. Is this what you mean?

Everett Carroll
7 hours ago, Bas Albinus said:
On September 19, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Coach Sommer said:

 

I like the new interface and "freedom" of arranging the workouts, but I also liked a few aspects of the pervious approach which are now missing:
Deload week - In training I've always been pushing my limits, going all-in every time all the time. Subsequently overtrained, got injured and kept on training through pain over and over for years. Now pushing 40 I finally started wondering why I can't reach performance, strength and skill levels I used to achieve (easily) not too long ago.
A recent torn supraspinatus that just doesn't want to heal and beginning arthritis put me completely in despair. 
That's why I started with GST.
The GB F1 schedule was the first time I consciously put in a deload week and feeling good about it - not like it's an emergency because I'm injured or sick.
Now I  need to keep track of this in my schedule myself. Sort of mark it in another calendar so I can keep track of my workouts.

The new interface doesn't show me days/dates I trained anymore. How do I know which day I did which exercises in case I didn't manage to perform the full set of 7 or want to do upper today lower+core the next etc? Again, now I need to keep an additional schedule myself.  
I also liked to list reps in detail so I could track my performance and see which set I would start to fail etc.
I suggest to add in a calendar function/sheet to help keep track of training days and workouts completed.

Single leg squad:
Actually kind of surprised it started off that easy. Just started F1 3weeks ago and already need to buy F2 now as deck squads are too easy...or should I crank out more reps/sets of the Hawaiian squads?  Add other prev. exercises from lower body to my routine?

Hi Bas,

Thank you for the feedback.

Deload: I recommend following the workouts that the interface creates for you and not worrying about calculating for a deload on your own. If you are mending an injury, make sure to consult a doctor and be patient with the healing process. Don't train through pain.  

Tracking: We are working on a history view which will allow you to track the workouts you have done. 

SLS: Once you progress past F1 for SLS, mastery all of the new strength and mobility, I recommend moving on to Foundation 2 for that movement.  

Coach Sommer
6 hours ago, John Enyeart said:

So, I know that the "test mastery" functionality was taken out, but is there any way to reconsider this? I just started F1 a couple of weeks ago, but before I started, I was already very physically active (rock climbing a few times a week + weight training a few times a week).

Before starting F1, I could already do single leg squats and rope climbs. I can do 15 pull-ups (strict, no kipping, chest to bar at the top and arms fully extended at the bottom) without much trouble. It feels a little bit silly that, for example, I now need to work my way up from 3 sets of 2 elevated deck squats. It just feels like it's ridiculously easy and that it will take me at least a couple months to progress to the level where I feel like I'm actually getting a workout on some exercises.

Perhaps I could test mastery on the condition that I submit form videos that undergo strict scrutiny before I'm allowed to "test out" to the next element?

Hi John,

I will consider it and will let you guys know shortly.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
6 hours ago, Josh Shaw said:

If someone has already mastered the old SLS/PE1-PE3 (now PE5-7), you still recommend they go back and test mastery on the new PE1-4?  I know it's typically a bad idea to assume mastery, but in this case wouldn't it be a safe assumption that if you've mastered deck squats and a couple progressions beyond, then there's no doubt you have achieved mastery on elevated deck squats and the progressions before? 

Hi Josh,

Why would I assume that?  You may be correct, but there is only one way to know for sure.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Bas Albinus
12 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi John,

6 hours ago, John Enyeart said:

So, I know that the "test mastery" functionality was taken out, but is there any way to reconsider this? I just started F1 a couple of weeks ago, but before I started, I was already very physically active (rock climbing a few times a week + weight training a few times a week).

Before starting F1, I could already do single leg squats and rope climbs. I can do 15 pull-ups (strict, no kipping, chest to bar at the top and arms fully extended at the bottom) without much trouble. It feels a little bit silly that, for example, I now need to work my way up from 3 sets of 2 elevated deck squats. It just feels like it's ridiculously easy and that it will take me at least a couple months to progress to the level where I feel like I'm actually getting a workout on some exercises.

Perhaps I could test mastery on the condition that I submit form videos that undergo strict scrutiny before I'm allowed to "test out" to the next element?

Hi John,

I will consider it and will let you guys know shortly.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I will consider it and will let you guys know shortly.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks Coach, that'd be great. I'm a little confused by the new structure for mastery and have the same problem as John finding my spot. A few elements of F1 are rather easy e.g. slsquads.

Wayne Smith

Some thoughts on Deload Week, from a unique and special snowflake:

I understand that this is F1, and compared to more advanced athletes the workload is not that high. Despite this, I like the idea of training cycles, they were mentioned in the Ferriss podcast, and also, I think in Coach's book.  I thought that a big part of this system is about the formation of good habits, and the best time to form good habits is in the very beginning.  Perhaps F1 deloads don't have to be such a big step down, maybe do a larger percentage of the work week?

The deload/training cycle builds in natural milestones. For me, I feel I am almost at mastery of a couple of elements, my plan was to continue at the same level to maintain volume until my next deload, then make sure that I have it in the next week back from deload, then test, then keep working until the following deload and progress after that. I'm 46 with a lifelong history of bad habits, and I'm more interested in still doing workouts in my retirement, than having a beach body by Christmas. In fact I'd much rather have a beach body in retirement!!

I find deload week incredibly motivating.  The week after deload I am like "C'mon you've just had a deload. Work hard and get after it!"  The week before deload, I am like "C'mon next week is deload week, so dig it in now!"  During deload week I'm like "it's deload week, just get it in and get it done, this week will be easy, no excuses."  I also find it is a good mental break and stress reliever from the other stuff going on in life.  I may not be working hard, compared to someone else, but I am working hard for me. I do want this, it's the niggling injuries/aches/pains from other programs that convinced me to give GST a shot, and despite a month long gap after I had minor surgery, and then a death in the family, I have stuck at it consistently.  Certainly more consistently than any other program I've done, and I think deload week was one of the many tools offered by this program that helped that consistency.

I don't know whether it's a technical issue with the new scheduling system?  Perhaps it could be integrated by tracking how many weeks since the last deload, and a smiley face that when clicked schedules a deload for the following week? Although I guess it may be difficult to apply across all modules?

Chad Moffitt
On 21/09/2016 at 2:05 AM, Cory Fair said:

-Steps only advance on Mondays. If you don't have easy on all the logged workouts you won't advance. Exactly the same as before...if you had one less than 100% workout, you didn't advance.

 

Hi @Cory Fair Will the Monday advance work for those of us on the other side of the date line? All the countries West of the date line will roll into Monday sooner that the United States.  Previously we've had problems where our workouts rolled over a day late.

Coach Sommer

Hello Everyone,

For some reason, everyone feels that including deload in F1 is up for negotiation.  It is not.  There is no longer a deload function in F1 as there is no reason for people to require a deload from their already deloaded schedule due to all of the missed workouts.

If you are one of the few who were not missing workouts, and for the record most of those who have claimed be in this minority we discovered on our checking their training logs have themselves missed many, then you will need to progress up to F2 in order to regain the deload function.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
4 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Everyone,

For some reason, everyone feels that including deload in F1 is up for negotiation.  It is not.  There is no longer a deload function in F1 as there is no reason for people to require a deload from their already deloaded schedule due to all of the missed workouts.

If you are one of the few who were not missing workouts, and for the record most of those who have claimed be so we discovered on our checking their training logs have themselves missed many, then you will need to progress up to F2 in order to regain the deload function.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and I'm all outta bubble gum. 

Gonzalo Alcaraz

Gotta admit, though Ive rarely missed workouts during training "seasons", these rarely lasted longer than 3 months ,mainly due to injuries (jiujitsu is an unforgiving mistress :P) or real life complications that just drained all my willpower (engineering is too :p). When I did train for some time though, deload weeks were a welcome respite, but at the middle of it I always felt kind of restless, like I had a surplus of energy that wanted to get used.

 

So I, for one, welcome the change and am looking forward to how my body will respond. This week wouldve been deload for me and I moved up some of the progressions instead... so far so good!

Nick Jones

I just want to say this is an awesome format. It has highlighted that I was moving too slowly and some how makes me want to train more often. 

When you have a good thing going it is all to easy to rest on your laurels. It take great open mindedness and a thirst for perfection to react positively to feedback from your students. So thanks

Daniel Lehnberg

Nice work on this update, coach + team!

Quick question: I don't seem to be able to find a "daily limber" box to log this warm up in. Would be nice to be able to track this long term and see how often I actually manage to do this, even if I realise it's not core training. It's the pavlovian dog in me that really appreciates the mental reward of ticking a box as 'done' I guess. Would you consider supporting this?

Emil Dembinski
11 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Everyone,

For some reason, everyone feels that including deload in F1 is up for negotiation.  It is not.  There is no longer a deload function in F1 as there is no reason for people to require a deload from their already deloaded schedule due to all of the missed workouts.

If you are one of the few who were not missing workouts, and for the record most of those who have claimed be in this minority we discovered on our checking their training logs have themselves missed many, then you will need to progress up to F2 in order to regain the deload function.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach,

I joined after listening to you talking with Tim Ferriss in May. I bought Fundamentals first. It was an “OK” experience, not great, but a month later I took the plunge and bought Foundation 1 plus Stretches… and that was great, really great. The structure, progressions, ability to plan ahead a week ;) The whole program is so well thought through. Something I had never had before. Superb.

Two days later after reading the amazing forum and GST introductions Handstand 1 and Movement 1 and Thrive a month later.

Since getting my hands on Foundations 1 I have not skipped a workout. Started from PE1 Step 1 on every exercise. Additionally, I was running and doing some fitness 3 times a week, then some 2 months ago switched to just GST - again after reading the advise on the forum. It has been a great journey and I plan to continue.

I loved the counter of days "all tasks done". It is left as only the nutritional tasks and due to all confusion I missed it yesterday and did not logged that I actually had done it. The counter is down from above 100 to 1 now ;-)

I understand the reasons behind the change.

  • Your business has grown probably severalfold since the podcast. Congratulations and you absolutely deserve it. The program and the team are in a class of their own
  • You have different customers, more beginners, people starting from scratch with little or no preparation
  • 70% of people do not get the best of the program and complain
  • 30% of dedicated people will stick with the program anyway
  • You cannot make everyone happy

Coach I am not negotiating, I am just writing than for me personally the changes are for the worse. It looks better and overall is great, but lacks the features I found very useful.

If there are 30% of us following the program without failing, why not give us the option to have this functionality back.

I will get to F2 eventually, anyway ;)

Iain McLean

Good work GB team!  Overall, great job on the new set up.  

Seems like the easy smiley now only advances progress by one step now instead of 3.  I'm guessing this was changed so that the just right smiley could be given the stagnation option of remaining at the current step?  Now if the current step is way too easy and we want to adjust a few steps, do we just have to go into settings and move the steps forward?

Matic Balantic

Yes Iain, you are correct :)