This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 Monday Updates/Confusion with new interface (merged)

Started by Gorjan Trivic, September 19, 2016 · 288 Replies · 18,798 Views

Nicholas Cooper

Coach mentioned an app coming soon where you can predownload your videos for the week. Us 3rd world people really need it. Is there any date when it will be coming out? 

Cory Fair
1 minute ago, Nicholas Cooper said:

Coach mentioned an app coming soon where you can predownload your videos for the week. Us 3rd world people really need it. Is there any date when it will be coming out? 

Not yet, it's early stage 

Cory Fair

-Technical issues do not belong on the forum. There's a 99% chance anything that doesn't work exactly right is already being worked on. The videos will show up as soon as the fix is done.

-You get a checkmark when completing your first workout of the week. It will stay there the rest of the week, this is intentional. You can still log additional days by clicking smileys.

-I'll bump the like limit up to 50 daily.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
6 minutes ago, Cory Fair said:

-Technical issues do not belong on the forum. There's a 99% chance anything that doesn't work exactly right is already being worked on. The videos will show up as soon as the fix is done.

-You get a checkmark when completing your first workout of the week. It will stay there the rest of the week, this is intentional. You can still log additional days by clicking smileys.

 
 

Noted. @Cole Dano asked for me to share. I'll resituate my post to a PM and a support ticket. :facepalm: Edit: can't delete my own post and also, it seems the technical glitches are slowly filtering through as they are fixed :facepalm::facepalm: ... think I'm done on the forums for a while, haha.

Joseph Sarti 76096

Have to say I enjoyed the prior programming concepts. As an athlete whom is trained and conditioned to follow the program and do the work it made sense and worked. However, I understand and appreciate the GB staff and Coach Sommers new programming concepts. In some sense after 1 day I feel I can now do more work, which suits me and my goals perfectly. I am eager to run through this new program over a couple months and see the progress. Undoubtedly, this is the best program and I choose it because of the athlete approach versus a random program with lack of progressions and failure to build the body and prepare it for more advanced work.

As a result I have approached this all along with a beginners mindset with the idea of learning the system thoroughly while slowly building the body and my comprehension of the movements. As an athlete I have numerous deficiencies especially related to Gymnastics and Core work. Sport is the land of specialization, I feel already that this program is has changed, in only 3 months many of those deficiencies while I still have a long long road ahead.

Thanks Coach for creating this program and your brutal honesty combined with your open mind. 

Regards

Joseph Sarti

Carsten Skov

I am a bit confused about the changes to SLS. I was at the last progression, doing Hawaiian squats, and now I have deck squats as the last F1 progression. Does this mean I have to purchase F2 in order to continue at my current progression? In addition, I don't have great Internet at my gym, so I was happy about the previous setup, having the list of reps and sets in a good short format. Being able to study the exercises at home and just doing a quick brush up at the gym. 

So not all too happy about the new layout - although it looks really crisp. 

 

 

Geoffrey Mayne
16 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

No.  Very difficult to match proper execution and tempo thru audio only.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Hey Coach,

I understand the benefit of using the follow-along videos, I simply have some practical challenges.  For example, if I am doing the hollow body rocks, or the incline row, or the planche lean, where would I put a screen?  And how do I account for the fact that I need to move it to see it from the exercise to the mobility routine?

What I have been doing, and this seems to make sense, is watch the video (just watch it) and then perform the exercise while listening to it.

All in all, I like the new system, and I appreciate that the two modified progressions matched where I was lousy.

Brandon Martin

Just wanted to say thanks to Coach (and team) for continuing to adapt and improve the program.  You guys don't just sit on your laurels and it is impressive.  Foundation, Handstand, and the Stretch courses have literally changed my life (and my wife's too).  I have been at GB for about a year and I am still learning a ton.  Thanks again.

Ralph Palutke

Hey everyone,

I didn't actively participate in the forum's discussions for quite a while, solely concentrating on my training. However, with the new changes I'm forced to ask a few questions as I am confused quite a bit. I really hope you can answer them:

1. What would be the ideal combination for someone who trains GST for quite some time? So far I used the 4 day split FL/sPL/HBP/RC and SL/MN/SL. Until now Coach always said that this would be the optimal combination. Now however, we have the exercises grouped by core, upper and lower body. Is the old split still the best possibility? Should we not pick single exercises from one of the new groups? This would mean we can arrange core, upper and lower body as we wish, but we should not pick single exercises. E.g. can we do upper body and only FL from the core group? Why did Coach change the splits?

2. I really liked the old template as I had more control over it. E.g. I currently working on planche leans. Thereby, I continuously increase the lean as soon as I manged to achieve mastery for a certain degree of lean. How should I do that with the new scheduler? Always hit the "to hard" smiley until I reach the required level of lean? But then, wouldn't that mean I stay on the same step while increasing the lean? So far, I thought it would be superior to increase the workload with a certain lean and then rebuild it with a little more lean.

3. How can I test mastery? Since we have now new SL progressions, I of course want to achieve mastery for all of them before I continue working on my current SL progression. Should I select week 9 for each of the new progressions or should I start from week 1 and always hit the "easy" smiley. I somewhere read that mastery should pass week 1, 5 and 9 now? Can someone shed some light on this topic?

4. Is it now recommended to only train each group (core, upper, lower body) once a week?

Keegan Yentsch

Read Coach's note about the new interface at the top of this forum or pinned on the Dashboard page. If that doesn't answer your questions then read through this thread, your questions have mostly (if not all) been answered.

Mark Carter
6 hours ago, Ralph Palutke said:

Hey everyone,

I didn't actively participate in the forum's discussions for quite a while, solely concentrating on my training. However, with the new changes I'm forced to ask a few questions as I am confused quite a bit. I really hope you can answer them:

1. What would be the ideal combination for someone who trains GST for quite some time? So far I used the 4 day split FL/sPL/HBP/RC and SL/MN/SL. Until now Coach always said that this would be the optimal combination. Now however, we have the exercises grouped by core, upper and lower body. Is the old split still the best possibility? Should we not pick single exercises from one of the new groups? This would mean we can arrange core, upper and lower body as we wish, but we should not pick single exercises. E.g. can we do upper body and only FL from the core group? Why did Coach change the splits?

2. I really liked the old template as I had more control over it. E.g. I currently working on planche leans. Thereby, I continuously increase the lean as soon as I manged to achieve mastery for a certain degree of lean. How should I do that with the new scheduler? Always hit the "to hard" smiley until I reach the required level of lean? But then, wouldn't that mean I stay on the same step while increasing the lean? So far, I thought it would be superior to increase the workload with a certain lean and then rebuild it with a little more lean.

3. How can I test mastery? Since we have now new SL progressions, I of course want to achieve mastery for all of them before I continue working on my current SL progression. Should I select week 9 for each of the new progressions or should I start from week 1 and always hit the "easy" smiley. I somewhere read that mastery should pass week 1, 5 and 9 now? Can someone shed some light on this topic?

4. Is it now recommended to only train each group (core, upper, lower body) once a week?

Ralph,

1.  Personally, I'm just going to keep the groupings on the new format.  So today, I did core and lower body, tomorrow I'll do upper body and handstand.  It would be possible to keep the same groupings.  When you go into a grouping, just don't hit a smiley face for the element you are not performing.  Then on the day you do it, hit the smiley face.  To me that would end up being too confusing.  And I'm sure there will be some transitions.  But overall I think the body will adapt.  I think you have more control starting with F2.

2.  Not sure.  I'll let others address. 

3.  I believe there is no way to just go test mastery.  I think you have to just go through and hit the "easy" smiley each time.  I'm sure a lot of folks will be doing this with SLS and RC work as they progressions have changed.  I'm just going to keep hitting the easy smiley and go through the progressions as they come up.  Worst case scenario, I figure, it takes a couple weeks extra to catch up (assuming that you are truly at mastery at some of the new progressions).  I'm OK with that because I've found that even when I "skipped" an element because I hit mastery immediately upon testing, I still felt a benefit to doing at least a couple weeks on that movement before moving on. 

4.  No.  I think the recommendation is to train your "normal" amount, but now there is flexibility in how you choose the exercises.  I trained each element twice per week.  I had the old scheduler set for MTTF.  But the reality is that I did TWTF, MWTF, MTFS, etc.  While I always got 4 total workouts, career and life influenced which actual days I trained.  So before, say I did Tuesday's workout on Wednesday, I would have to go back and enter Tuesday's results at a later date, which sometimes created some issues with the system.  Now I'll just do them on the days I train, and enter the info accordingly.

Mark

Ralph Palutke

Thanks a lot. I would really appreciate if someone could answer the second question, too.

I indeed have a few more questions:

5. With the follow along videos I realized I've executed the movements far to slow. However, I think I'm cleaner and more controlled than the follow along videos. Wouldn't it be even more beneficial to slow down? Maybe I'm overthinking things here and should just mimic the follow along videos.

6. What me really bugs with all the new content is that there are quite some differences comparing the original videos of coach's students to the new advice videos or the follow along videos. I realize that the videos of coach's students were performed extra slow to demonstrate the technique. But it is not only the speed but also the technique itself. E.g. compare ground rows performed by Dillon with the ones in the follow along video. So far we were told touch our shoulders/chest with the rings on the top of the rep. You can clearly see that this is not the fact with the follow along videos. In my eyes the follow along videos often do not nearly meet mastery requirements (e.g. MN/PE2). And this is by far not the only example. Furthermore, often the notes given by coach do not match the videos even when performed by his own students. This really slows my progress down quite a bit, since I need to do a lot of research in the forums. Time that I would rather invest into my training or other things . So once and for all: Should we mimic the follow along videos or the videos performed by coach's athletes (except the execution speed)?

7. Do the rings need to touch the shoulders while doing ground rows respectively elevated rows?

Chris Garay

Hi @Ralph Palutke, I want to briefly address a general perspective that I notice in your posts. This is something that I myself have also dealt with, and I see it often in other posts on the forum as well.

The goal of Foundation is to physically prepare the body for more advanced work in GST, not necessarily to stay stuck in Foundation forever. Straddle-ups (MN/PE2) are a great exercise that take genuine effort and time to master... but once you can do them, move on! We all need to build basic levels of core strength and mobility, and once you have done that, keep moving forward.

I think this is something that you pick up the more you train with @Coach Sommer and the affiliates in-person. Do they focus on correct form, execution, and tempo? You bet, 100%. Once it's right, however, they then move on and challenge you with more advanced exercises. This is why you see videos on social media of athletes who started GST recently (within a year or two) who are already close to Front Levers, Straddle Planches, Hollow Back Presses, and more.

In short: work hard, train smart, and keep it simple. Do not over complicate the basics, but rather get the work done with good form and then move on.

Best, Chris

Jason Dupree

It's hard to know what is considered good form when you are learning something new. It's also hard to be objective about your form and abilities. I think the video review service will be valuable here. Instead of trying to figure out what's perfect form on your own, let someone else decide. If they give you an OK, no need to worry.

Kevin Herring

My Straddle Planche is now after HBP and RC.  Before it was in the beginning is this the intended change?

And it also jumped four levels from PE6 to SE2.  I'm pretty sure that's not what's supposed to happen.  Or is it?

Andrew Glenn

 

11 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Andrew,

The forthcoming GB app will address this to a limited manner in that you will be able to view your workouts for a single week at a time.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach- 

You're giving me exactly what I wanted for my bday this week! That sounds perfect to me. Thanks! I can't wait. 

Joshua Krieger

I read through the last seven pages, and I did not see this answered: Is the 'Lacks Mobility' button for the exercise or the exercise and IM? 

For example, Scapular shugs is paired with hip swivel. Scapular shrugs were very easy for me. Swivel hips highlighted an almost total lack of internal rotation in my hips that is going to need a lot of work. Should I hit 'Easy' or 'Lacks Mobility'? Or am I just missing something else I should be doing? 

Cole Dano
4 minutes ago, Joshua Krieger said:

I read through the last seven pages, and I did not see this answered: Is the 'Lacks Mobility' button for the exercise or the exercise and IM? 

For example, Scapular shugs is paired with hip swivel. Scapular shrugs were very easy for me. Swivel hips highlighted an almost total lack of internal rotation in my hips that is going to need a lot of work. Should I hit 'Easy' or 'Lacks Mobility'? Or am I just missing something else I should be doing? 

Lacks mobility is referring to the iM, so if an exercise is otherwise ok, but the iM is lagging hit that button. the exercise will progress the following week, but won't roll over when you hit the mastery level.

Of course if the exercise is too hard and the mobility lags, use the "too hard" button so you the exercise scales down for you and you continue the mobility work.

William Trask
9 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Yes, in the near future I will provide a basic weekly template or two for people to consider.  However none of the recommendations will be built into the F1 interface nor will the system hold the students accountable for following them.

For the moment simply continue using the current number of days per week that you were comfortable with.

 

@Coach Sommer 

When you do a basic weekly template, it would be awesome to have two types
1) Budget friendly Foundations only guide
2) Blend of All Coaches programs (ie I own Foundation, Handstand, Stretch series, and Movement)
     - it would be good to hear your logic & template for blending all or some of these for someone doing GST for less than one year.

I want to do the work (and have been fairly consistent since starting), I don't want to under stimulate nor go overboard. Your guidance would be welcomed as I want to maximize my potential.

Joshua Krieger
1 minute ago, Cole Dano said:

Lacks mobility is referring to the iM, so if an exercise is otherwise ok, but the iM is lagging hit that button. the exercise will progress the following week, but won't roll over when you hit the mastery level.

Of course if the exercise is too hard and the mobility lags, use the "too hard" button so you the exercise scales down for you and you continue the mobility work.

Thank you. That makes sense as you have written it, but I am not understanding what underpins the statement. The scapular shrug is a part of the straddle planche series. Looking through the rest of the exercises, I am not sure where limiting progression because of a lack of internal hip rotation is going to come into play. I will do as instructed, but I also want to understand. Thank you.

Cole Dano
8 minutes ago, Joshua Krieger said:

Thank you. That makes sense as you have written it, but I am not understanding what underpins the statement. The scapular shrug is a part of the straddle planche series. Looking through the rest of the exercises, I am not sure where limiting progression because of a lack of internal hip rotation is going to come into play. I will do as instructed, but I also want to understand. Thank you.

Swivel hips shouldn't be too big a hurdle, folks tend to try to make them overly perfect, but they just need to be reasonably good reps. Keep in mind the 'straddle' in straddle planche, this is just a first preparatory step towards straddle.

If you have problems, ask in the forums and submit a form check and hopefully staff can get you past this hurdle.

Matthias Hopf

Great new interface.

But i have a question. Is it correct, that the steps changed? As an example. Scapular Shrugs, Step4: 4x6 reps. In the video they make 3x9 reps.

Maybe it's at another exercise too. Which one should we follow? Or is it something what has to be fixed?

Thanks in advance. Greetings from one of the 70% which sometimes skip a workout. I promise improvement.

Michael Stanwyck

Sorry if I missed this but WHEN COMETH THE APP?? I've been including an app for this in my bedtime prayers since I started :)

Joshua Hibbert
14 minutes ago, Cole Dano said:

Swivel hips shouldn't be too big a hurdle, folks tend to try to make them overly perfect, but they just need to be reasonably good reps. Keep in mind the 'straddle' in straddle planche, this is just a first preparatory step towards straddle.

If you have problems, ask in the forums and submit a form check and hopefully staff can get you past this 

 

I have only just started foundations and after experiencing swivel hips for the first time i realised it would take me many months to reach mastery. I was under the impression that form was the cornerstone of progress. I suppose I will use the form check more frequently.   After my first few sessions i am looking forward to GST journey.

Dorian Brown
6 hours ago, Ralph Palutke said:

And this is exactly what bugs me so much right now. A few years ago the tone was a whole lot different. Everything needed to be executed EXACTLY like shown by coach's athletes.  Now it feels like a drop in perfection. For me it seems like the GB staff accepts mastery a whole lot faster, because so many students struggle to meet the real mastery requirement. 

I just finished my first training session together with the follow along videos. This is a totally different world!! With the speed demonstrated in the videos it almost feels like cheating... Don't get me wrong here. I'm just not sure if I will loose strength with this rep speed. Until now my rep speed was totally controlled without any explosive movements and always a short hold at the end of each rep. Most of the videos that include coach's students do it the same. I'm just confused if coach decided to upload these "new" videos only because so many fail to master the requirements of the original videos...

Am I the only one thinking this?

I think you're overthinking it. Just do the work to the follow along video standards. You will advance until you can't anymore. You can't really cheat GST if you don't have the mobility or strength you will eventually get to an exercise you just can't complete. I have the entire series f1-f4 and just from peeking at f2-4 I can see the work gets very difficult. In comparison F1 is very basic. I think coach wants us to have good form but we don't need 100% amazing laser focused form on these basic exercises otherwise we will never make it to f4. After a certain point there are diminishing returns.

I kinda think of it like math. In school they want you to learn the basics of addition so you can move on to multiplication not so you can add 6, 10 digit numbers in your head in a few seconds. Right now we are doing addition so just focus on learning the basics so you can move on to the fun stuff in f2 and beyond.

I think a lot of people are bent out of shape because it's a fairly big and unexpected change but it's only been live for a day. Just take a deep breath and try it for 2 weeks. See how you progress and then bring up complains if you have them. I find the best progress is made through experimentation. The old way may have been good but maybe this is a better way, the only way to know is to try.