This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 Monday Updates/Confusion with new interface (merged)

Started by Gorjan Trivic, September 19, 2016 · 288 Replies · 18,798 Views

Coach Sommer
1 minute ago, Patrick Rentz said:

As far as whether or not the system literally requires you to click on and view the video in order to log progress, or will accept just the smiley face input, I don't know.

IMO, read between the lines...

Hi Patrick,

I disagree with this proposed approach.  

While it is always possible to game a system and look for loopholes, the new changes have been implemented for a specific reason; people were not able to effectively monitor their progress and execution on their own in F1.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Gonzalo,

You will need to progress to F2 in order to get the deload back!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Wait, really? Shit.

Isabel V. Gemmingen

Hi GB Team,

I am really curious to test the new course, even if I am already missing the consistency training coming from having to log in every day and planning ahead... For me, the accountability portion is almost as helpful as the actual workouts. I wonder if the features could coexist with the new system without being a must...

Thank you for all the thinking and work in further developing this awesome method! I had missed my beloved gymnastic training for over 25 years believing there were no good options for adults. Now I am (slowly) finding my way back to it thanks to GB. Looking forward to the ride :)

 

Patrick Rentz
Just now, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Patrick,

I disagree with this proposed approach.  

While it is always possible to game a system and look for loopholes, the new changes have been implemented for a specific reason; people were not able to effectively monitor their progress and execution on their own in F1.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I agree with you on the new requirement (as if I'm in a position to question it much). In fact it helped me today with my hollow body rocks. I actually did better with less rest and increased tempo while following along. I took much less time overall for my F7, too. Maybe it was mental and I just needed to get out of my own way and get my sh!t done. I'm probably not alone.

I'm sure some will want to game the system and not watch the videos, and I'm sure others actually have e.g. a spotty internet connection (and obviously you can't let people download the stuff for fear of sharing), which is unfortunate for them.

Everett Smith

Thanks for the new setup and all the great programming! With a little patience learning the new format its benefits really become apparent! Thanks Coach!

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
28 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Gonzalo,

You will need to progress to F2 in order to get the deload back!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

So, basically just lots and lots of volume until most of my elements progress. Here comes the hypertrophy haha.

Coach Sommer
6 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

So, basically just lots and lots of volume until most of my elements progress. Here comes the hypertrophy haha.

It's only F1 level material, Daniel.  You'll survive. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
34 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

It's only F1 level material, Daniel.  You'll survive. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ha, wasn't worried about surviving, nor sinking or swimming. 45 minutes of agony are nothing, lol. I saw this as only a good thing frankly. All good, either way.

William Trask

@Coach Sommer

I echo the sentiment that it's obvious the GB community is striving to constantly improve and I appreciate all the work that went into this update!

Coach can you maybe layout your optimal weekly schedule with the new format? 

Beginner brand new to Foundation: start by trying to hit every exercise once a week

after a couple months: try to get every exercise twice a week

any guidance would be welcomed.

lastly do you still recommend two days between front split and middle split? 

Any other recommended spacing between the new grouping of exercises?

Thanks Coach for all your time and effort to help!

 

Jonathan Effa

The new interface will take a bit of getting used to, but certainly get's slick. I'm sure we'll all fall back into routines by the end of the week.

A quick question, is the press handstand (HS2) still considered to be a co-requisite with HS1? I can't see a way to add HS2, but maybe it's just midnight...

Thanks.

Mats Trane
4 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Keith,

Actually you are incorrect.  There is no such thing as an optimal combination of exercises.  Over the past forty years I have successfully utilized more combinations then I could ever possibly count.

What I do try to do is to group your exercises together in a way that leads to the greatest progress with the least amount of confusion.  Hence the new F1 regrouping.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

These words are so true! Nothing could be more correct in the training world!

Listen to people with looooong experience!

Gorjan Trivic

Maybe I have missed it somewhere, but what happened with F1 videos that are showing entire training for particular GST element (FL 4x48s shown by GB team)? Those videos were great and they worked really good for me. They are similar to stretching series as you can play the entire training. I found it much easier to focus on training, and to maintain the intensity, correct form as it gives you a feeling that you have training together.

Also, I really liked that weekly schedule, it was so easy to follow the structure of the program and to have all required reps in one place. I was so happy after the F1 purchase when I saw how good scheduling is organized. If I am going to miss a training, that is because I came late from work or simply I am too tired to do an effective training. Usually, I will reschedule my GST trainings during the week to reach the marked goals. With this new interface I will still need to have some schedule to track my trainings.

In regards to missed training sessions, as long as people are exercising at home, they will be distracted and it would be more challenging to maintain focus, especially for family people. When you actually go somewhere (gym or similar) or when you are surrounded with people who are doing the same training then it is easier to have focus. In the end, everything is about how much someone is dedicated, determined and persistent and there is no program that can fix that.

I didn't know that so many people have challenges with deck squats. I thought that MX PE2 is the bigger challenge that shall be rearranged.

 

 

 

 

 

Andrew Glenn
4 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Andy,

Yes, in F1 you must use the follow along videos.

In F2 the process of teaching proper programming and schedules begins and is completed by F4.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Different Andy here. Similar problem. Serving overseas limits my connectivity. Are the videos downloadable?

Coach Sommer
1 hour ago, Andrew Glenn said:

Different Andy here. Similar problem. Serving overseas limits my connectivity. Are the videos downloadable?

Hi Andrew,

The forthcoming GB app will address this to a limited manner in that you will be able to view your workouts for a single week at a time.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
On 9/19/2016 at 11:04 PM, Gorjan Trivic said:

Maybe I have missed it somewhere, but what happened with F1 videos that are showing entire training for particular GST element (FL 4x48s shown by GB team)? Those videos were great and they worked really good for me. They are similar to stretching series as you can play the entire training. I found it much easier to focus on training, and to maintain the intensity, correct form as it gives you a feeling that you have training together.

Also, I really liked that weekly schedule, it was so easy to follow the structure of the program and to have all required reps in one place. I was so happy after the F1 purchase when I saw how good scheduling is organized. If I am going to miss a training, that is because I came late from work or simply I am too tired to do an effective training. Usually, I will reschedule my GST trainings during the week to reach the marked goals. With this new interface I will still need to have some schedule to track my trainings.

In regards to missed training sessions, as long as people are exercising at home, they will be distracted and it would be more challenging to maintain focus, especially for family people. When you actually go somewhere (gym or similar) or when you are surrounded with people who are doing the same training then it is easier to have focus. In the end, everything is about how much someone is dedicated, determined and persistent and there is no program that can fix that.

I didn't know that so many people have challenges with deck squats. I thought that MX PE2 is the bigger challenge that shall be rearranged.

 

 

 

 

 

Hi Gojan,

They are still right there incorporated into the follow along videos.  IF that is the level that you are currently training at.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Emil Dembinski

Guys,

I appreciate the changes you made and a lot of thought that went with it. The interface looks great and probably will help the 70% people, who were struggling with the previouse setup.

On the other hand the 30% who were progressing just fine with the previous more advanced features will be disappointed. These are the people who are also the most engaged and who probably were the most happy and spreading the word around "the GST is great, come and check this out".

As I understand from reading, the advanced features are still there. They are just locked away until we unlock all of them gradually. The process lasts till we reach Foundation 4. In my case it probably would take a few years.

Please consider putting those features into settings (buring them deep :)) for us to unlock if we feel we can cope with it. There are quite a lot of us, I think, who would really appreciate it.

  • Deload weeks - I just cannot imaging myself without it, after having been doing the program for the last 4 months. I push myself and this is a welcome breather, that I think I need.
  • Weekly workout schedule
  • Weekly template
  • Logging the exact number of reps/seconds

All of those things can be done in Excel or notebook. The question is do they have to be. It would be great if we could get some more freedom with how many features we would like to use.

Thank you again for the effort and tremendous care that you give to the community and your customers. Do not forget the 30%, though.

Kasper Stangerup

I have speed-read through this thread, so I apologize if this has been answered before:

Will there be follow-along videos for F2-F4 at some point? I think it's a great help to be able to watch a few people with slight variations in their physiques doing the progressions. Also, to see how much of an impact the previous sets are allowed to have on form, breathing, etc..

Coach Sommer
13 minutes ago, Kasper Stangerup said:

I have speed-read through this thread, so I apologize if this has been answered before:

Will there be follow-along videos for F2-F4 at some point? I think it's a great help to be able to watch a few people with slight variations in their physiques doing the progressions. Also, to see how much of an impact the previous sets are allowed to have on form, breathing, etc..

Hi Kasper,

No, there will not be follow along workout videos provided for F2-F4.  

By Foundation 2 I expect the students to have learned how to maintain proper execution and tempo.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
40 minutes ago, Emil Dembinski said:

Guys,

I appreciate the changes you made and a lot of thought that went with it. The interface looks great and probably will help the 70% people, who were struggling with the previouse setup.

On the other hand the 30% who were progressing just fine with the previous more advanced features will be disappointed. These are the people who are also the most engaged and who probably were the most happy and spreading the word around "the GST is great, come and check this out".

As I understand from reading, the advanced features are still there. They are just locked away until we unlock all of them gradually. The process lasts till we reach Foundation 4. In my case it probably would take a few years.

Please consider putting those features into settings (buring them deep :)) for us to unlock if we feel we can cope with it. There are quite a lot of us, I think, who would really appreciate it.

  • Deload weeks - I just cannot imaging myself without it, after having been doing the program for the last 4 months. I push myself and this is a welcome breather, that I think I need.
  • Weekly workout schedule
  • Weekly template
  • Logging the exact number of reps/seconds

All of those things can be done in Excel or notebook. The question is do they have to be. It would be great if we could get some more freedom with how many features we would like to use.

Thank you again for the effort and tremendous care that you give to the community and your customers. Do not forget the 30%, though.

Hi Emil,

No, having access to the advanced programming features in F1 is not a possibility.  If you would like to have access once again, the only available avenue to do so is to advance to F2 and above materials.  

We have now learned the hardway that it is simply counter-productive to the majority of our students to offer advanced programming options too early in their development.  For F1 the primary focus needs to be on learning proper execution and tempo.  All else needs to be secondary until this primary need is addressed and developed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Patriq Hansson
4 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Kasper,

No, there won't be follow along workout videos for F2-F4.  

By Foundation 2 I expect the students to have learned how to maintain proper execution and tempo.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach, even though I like the follow along videos in F1 I understand that they probably won't be needed when we become more advanced. 
If possible I would however LOVE to get the technical issues videos created by Wes, even as we progress into F2 and beyond. They are really helpful. 

Cheers
Patriq

Coach Sommer
Just now, Patriq Hansson said:

Coach, even though I like the follow along videos in F1 I understand that they probably won't be needed when we become more advanced. 
If possible I would however LOVE to get the technical issues videos created by Wes, even as we progress into F2 and beyond. They are really helpful. 

Cheers
Patriq

Hi Patriq,

Perhaps.  It is a good point and certainly something that I will consider.  

However by that stage of training they may not be necessary as much of the minutae that is currently confusing and sometimes overwhelming will by then be second nature.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Costas Karakatsanis

Hello Coach,

I personally love the new interface since I have a hectic schedule and now I have many workout scheduling options.

Would you at some point give us any guidance regarding the workout frequency/ recovery (such as the beginners' recommended days for a workout) and any preferred sequence of conditioning/ stretching and skills workout?

Thank you

Coach Sommer
5 minutes ago, Costas Karakatsanis said:

Hello Coach,

I personally love the new interface since I have a hectic schedule and now I have many workout scheduling options.

Would you at some point give us any guidance regarding the workout frequency/ recovery (such as the beginners' recommended days for a workout) and any preferred sequence of conditioning/ stretching and skills workout?

Thank you

Hi Costas,

Yes, in the near future I will provide a basic weekly template or two for people to consider.  However none of the recommendations will be built into the F1 interface nor will the system hold the students accountable for following them.

For the moment simply continue using the current number of days per week that you were comfortable with.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Stuart Near

Hi

In the old stretch series, each individual stretch was explained with the scaled versions also shown. Now, it is just a follow along video. Can we still get access to the old series individual videos with the scaled versions as i can't remember how to scale each stretch. 

Thank you

Antonin Bouglé

Greetings Coach,

I second Patriq regarding the tips videos. I think continuing the tips for both strength and mobility in F2 can be of great help. They sure helped me alot until now, as I'm going through F1 :)