This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 Monday Updates/Confusion with new interface (merged)

Started by Gorjan Trivic, September 19, 2016 · 288 Replies · 18,798 Views

Costas Karakatsanis
37 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Costas,

Yes, in the near future I will provide a basic weekly template or two for people to consider.  However none of the recommendations will be built into the F1 interface nor will the system hold the students accountable for following them.

For the moment simply continue using the current number of days per week that you were comfortable with.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you Coach.

Your guidance will help us to focus on the right direction.

The new interface helps me to plan according to my needs and time availability I.e. in the past I plan for F7 workouts, would do one and then the next one would be an F3 because I did not have enough time. As a consequence I had to change schedules continuously. Now it is easier

 

Martin Jones

Although I didn't miss sessions, I am definitely guilty of resting too much during. Just having done a core workout, I've already had to tick the 'hard' smiley for 2 of the movements due to not having the work capacity to keep up with Wes. For some reason, that makes me excited. Even more growth to be found!

Greg White

personally I've never used the interface as my training schedule was a f3/f4 split done over 4 days, this often meant a training 'week' took up 8 to 10 days due to work / childcare commitments and pretty much preparing all meals from scratch. I've still made progress. The changes outlined in Coaches note have me excited as it seems that the foundation interface and logging have been redesigned to fit around my life rather than my life fitting around it and the possibility of faster progress. I have to say that on paper this sounds amazing, couple that with the technique tip videos and GB is truly wonderful. Always gets better. I'm constantly recommending GB and this only gives more reason too. Impressed.

Thanks for the hard work and striving to give more.

Martin O'Neill
1 hour ago, Stuart Near said:

Hi

In the old stretch series, each individual stretch was explained with the scaled versions also shown. Now, it is just a follow along video. Can we still get access to the old series individual videos with the scaled versions as i can't remember how to scale each stretch. 

Thank you

Stuart

If you go to My Courses (rather than My Available Workouts) you can select the Stretch Group.  From there you can select the relevant Stretch Series (e.g. Thoracic Bridge).  Then click on Stretch series - Thoracic Bridge (using the example) and you have the old demonstration video and technique tips.  That should be what you are looking for.  I agree with you that the tips are crucial to ensure proper information on how to perform the stretches. 

For the GB technical team, can we please have the technique tips available with one click?  At the moment it requires 4 clicks. 

Keegan Yentsch

Coach, any chance you guys will be adding similar follow along videos for the Handstand course? I know that rest is less of an issue with that course, but personally I would enjoy the multiple angles and feel of following a class with that course as well.

Ronnicky Roy

Hello Coach,

 

My first workout with the new format will be today. But when I looked at the new SLS progressions earlier it had it on a deload week. How do I go about changing that to test mastery? 

Keegan Yentsch
19 minutes ago, Ronnicky Roy said:

Hello Coach,

 

My first workout with the new format will be today. But when I looked at the new SLS progressions earlier it had it on a deload week. How do I go about changing that to test mastery? 

I believe Coach or Cory said that it is preferred that we test mastery over a few weeks time (clicking on the "easy" smiley will jump you ahead a few steps, thus accomplishing this) and as such (at least for Foundation 1) the "test mastery" option no longer exists.

My understanding is that this new interface is designed to "spoon feed" beginners (those who have not reached F2 on at least 2 elements) the workouts in reaction to most people not making progress and/or repeatedly missing/skipping workouts.

Roman Jakob

I'm very happy with the new "automatic" programming and the new interface looks great! I was already following a similar approach because I couldn't even handle even handle three day split. I was doing each F1 progression, handstand, and one stretching session per week, since that's all I could handle.

I have two questions regarding the new system:

What happens if I have to skip one or more workouts in a given week. Is the programming just going to continue where I left off the following week? Or do I get an automatic :(  smiley for not completing the workout?

I understand that deload is now baked into the automatic programming. But I can still select deload steps ins settings. How do I deal with this?

Coach Sommer

Hi Roman,

- The system recognizes no smiley face as a just right smiley face.  Hence your workout will remain at the same level.

- The deload option remaining for F1 is an oversight by the programmers and is currently being corrected.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Seems that the programming checks off having done a 'core', 'lower body' or 'upper body' workout at least once, however, the progressions don't advance or seem to take into account the smileys I selected (the reps/sets are still the same). I logged back in from yesterday and my workouts from yesterday were checked off, but no other changes seemed to have taken effect. Is it workout to workout that those changes accumulate or week-to-week as before? Just curious. I'll stick to doing the same reps/sets per week if that is the case, but having an idea about the setup is helpful to me. 

Julia Quigley
6 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Seems that the programming checks off having done a 'core', 'lower body' or 'upper body' workout at least once, however, the progressions don't advance or seem to take into account the smileys I selected (the reps/sets are still the same). I logged back in from yesterday and my workouts from yesterday were checked off, but no other changes seemed to have taken effect. Is it workout to workout that those changes accumulate or week-to-week as before? Just curious. I'll stick to doing the same reps/sets per week if that is the case, but having an idea about the setup is helpful to me. 

I read somewhere on the forum that the system advances week to week, not workout to workout.

Matic Balantic
5 minutes ago, Julia Quigley said:

I read somewhere on the forum that the system advances week to week, not workout to workout.

Yes, it is week to week, just like before.

Martin Jones
19 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Seems that the programming checks off having done a 'core', 'lower body' or 'upper body' workout at least once, however, the progressions don't advance or seem to take into account the smileys I selected (the reps/sets are still the same). I logged back in from yesterday and my workouts from yesterday were checked off, but no other changes seemed to have taken effect. Is it workout to workout that those changes accumulate or week-to-week as before? Just curious. I'll stick to doing the same reps/sets per week if that is the case, but having an idea about the setup is helpful to me. 

I read earlier, somewhere, that it will advance week by week rather than after a workout. I believe one of the Staff have confirmed this is the intended format.

Samin Ishtiaq

What's the best thing to do to start on the new interface? Shall I forget where I was (Steps 5 and 8 at various PEs), and just start from zero for every PE? (I can change this in Settings, right?)

It's a big reset for some of the exercises: SLS PE1 has now become SLS PE5 (and the last of the F1). For others like RC, it's no different.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
31 minutes ago, Alon Golan said:

When I enter to Foundation One through "My Courses" than "Single Leg Squat" there is no videos on the "Exercise videos" section for the first 4 exercises.

I also noticed that. 

 

36 minutes ago, Martin Jones said:

I read earlier, somewhere, that it will advance week by week rather than after a workout. I believe one of the Staff have confirmed this is the intended format.

Thanks. My concern, though also surrounded the fact that on the Forums it's saying that I can only like 'x' number of posts in a calendar day, but it said that last night, but still says it now... It was what made me curious as to the specificity of workout progressions. 

Cole Dano

Just to confirm, as long as you click the smilies the workout will progress (or regress if "too hard") the following week.

If you click nothing, then the workout will be exactly the same the following week.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 minutes ago, Cole Dano said:

Just to confirm, as long as you click the smilies the workout will progress (or regress if "too hard") the following week.

If you click nothing, then the workout will be exactly the same the following week.

 

Thanks. But the workout image still appears "checked off" is that because the bare minimum is to do each routine at least once per week? (sigh... this is for "the 70%" I imagine)

Keegan Yentsch
49 minutes ago, Alon Golan said:

When I enter to Foundation One through "My Courses" than "Single Leg Squat" there is no videos on the "Exercise videos" section for the first 4 exercises.

They are there if you click on the "Lower Body" workout option on the Dashboard. You will see a "Follow along Angle 1" and Follow along Angle 2" option. Both show videos of GB athletes demonstrating your prescribed sets/reps and paired mobility elements for you to emulate.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 minute ago, Keegan Yentsch said:

They are there if you click on the "Lower Body" workout option on the Dashboard. You will see a "Follow along Angle 1" and Follow along Angle 2" option. Both show videos of GB athletes demonstrating your prescribed sets/reps and paired mobility elements for you to emulate.

 

He means the technical video that shows the video being done slowly as is the case with every other element in Foundation if you go to the "My Courses" section.

Alon Golan
3 minutes ago, Keegan Yentsch said:

They are there if you click on the "Lower Body" workout option on the Dashboard. You will see a "Follow along Angle 1" and Follow along Angle 2" option. Both show videos of GB athletes demonstrating your prescribed sets/reps and paired mobility elements for you to emulate.

Yes, I know that, but for consistency manner, as other Foundations elements have the "Exercise Videos" next to them ( even the title, "Exercise Videos", is there but the videos are not ), I expect that to be the same as the others.

Keegan Yentsch
10 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Thanks. But the workout image still appears "checked off" is that because the bare minimum is to do each routine at least once per week? (sigh... this is for "the 70%" I imagine)

I noticed the same. I think it's just tracking that we do all of the workouts at least once a week, and so will only "reset" on a weekly (and not daily) basis. I would also expect that the "smiley" ratings we click would remain mostly consistent from workout to workout for the same element within a given week. So for instance you wouldn't rate something "too hard" on Monday and then "easy" if you repeated that workout on Thursday again. 

Since the "Steps" only adjust on a weekly basis as well (and you should have got feedback from the system when you clicked on the smiley the first time you did the workout) and not from workout execution to workout execution, I also think it's less of an issue that the workouts remain "checked."

Given that some of us have been doing the workout consistently for a while now though and likely know the "steps"/progression templates by heart, I don't see why we couldn't proactively adjust the sets/reps as needed for the second go round during that week. Just know that you will have to repeat/log that "step" at least once the following week for the system to recognize it and adjust the "step" accordingly.

For instance, I had been working on and was close to mastery on Hinge Rows, but since the new RC progressions has Incline Rows first (which I have not previously trained seriously) my muscles were unconditioned to the movement and I failed to make 4x12, causing me to mark the "hard" smiley (moving me back a step). When I repeat the workout again on Thursday of this week I will therefore do 5x9 (since that is one step down) rather than attempting 4x12 again (since I know I will again be unsuccessful).

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 minutes ago, Keegan Yentsch said:

For instance, I had been working on and was close to mastery on Hinge Rows, but since the new RC progressions has Incline Rows first (which I have not previously trained seriously) my muscles were unconditioned to the movement and I failed to make 4x12, causing me to mark the "hard" smiley (moving me back a step). When I repeat the workout again on Thursday of this week I will therefore do 5x9 (since that is one step down) rather than attempting 4x12 again (since I know I will again be unsuccessful).

3

But I don't know if that's the case. I went back to my lower-body workout the initial image remained with the green checkmark, but within the template still said 5x15 on the assisted squats. So no adjustment was made. I'm pretty sure it logs workouts on a weekly basis and adjusts as such, based on how the overall week went for you. That's just my guess. So you would land somewhere in the middle if it was 'too hard' on Monday, but 'easy' or 'just right' come Thursday. Still figuring it out myself. I'm certain that by month's end/next month things will be smoother on the interface.

Keegan Yentsch
14 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

He means the technical video that shows the video being done slowly as is the case with every other element in Foundation if you go to the "My Courses" section.

I know. I noticed that too. I honestly don't think it really matters though since we essentially have to use the follow along videos to log a workout and they are there where they need to be. I guess for curiosity's sake it would be nice to have access to them at all times like the other exercises.

Keegan Yentsch
2 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

But I don't know if that's the case. I went back to my lower-body workout the initial image remained with the green checkmark, but within the template still said 5x15 on the assisted squats. So no adjustment was made. I'm pretty sure it logs workouts on a weekly basis and adjusts as such, based on how the overall week went for you. That's just my guess. So you would land somewhere in the middle if it was 'too hard' on Monday, but 'easy' or 'just right' come Thursday. Still figuring it out myself. I'm certain that by month's end/next month things will be smoother on the interface.

Maybe we are just talking past each other, but I'm not understanding what you aren't sure of. The system resets on a weekly basis, therefore no adjustments will be made (regardless of your performance on a given exercise during a given week) to the "step" until the system resets the following week.

Cory Fair
6 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

But I don't know if that's the case. I went back to my lower-body workout the initial image remained with the green checkmark, but within the template still said 5x15 on the assisted squats. So no adjustment was made. I'm pretty sure it logs workouts on a weekly basis and adjusts as such, based on how the overall week went for you. That's just my guess. So you would land somewhere in the middle if it was 'too hard' on Monday, but 'easy' or 'just right' come Thursday. Still figuring it out myself. I'm certain that by month's end/next month things will be smoother on the interface.

-Smileys reset on a daily basis. This allows you to log as many workouts as you did during the week

-Steps only advance on Mondays. If you don't have easy on all the logged workouts you won't advance. Exactly the same as before...if you had one less than 100% workout, you didn't advance.

-A history view is coming in the near future. Not only will you be able to see what you did this week, but in the weeks past including workouts and notes done before the new interface