This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 Monday Updates/Confusion with new interface (merged)

Started by Gorjan Trivic, September 19, 2016 · 288 Replies · 18,798 Views

Kevin Herring
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:32 PM, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

The goal is consistency. Whatever you can consistently do week-in and week-out without getting burnt out, losing motivation, or overcommitting and then not following-through with the workouts is what will get you to being a badass soonest. Start with doing everything once, then slowly add things in until it's a good balance between just right and a little intense. 

 

Under the dashboard follow the link to the introductory articles to gain a better understanding.

I think that a lot of people are missing the part where coach says "consistency is more important than intensity".  And the other is this is for Foundation One.  I'll type that again.  More slowly this time for emphasis.  Foundation ONE.  Foundation,  ONE.  Just the first part of the foundational stuff. 

I've read the Coach's Notes on the new dashboard several times.  Most people's questions are answered there.  

A important reason the coaches chose this layout was to improve compliance-consistency and to adjust for the majority of the people struggles with certain exercise progressions.  Yes I did lose a couple of merit badges (SLS) but I let go of ego and currently teasing out the new exposed weaknesses.  I passed deck squats once.  I'll do it again when I pass all the other exercises. 

I see opportunities with the new layout.  And accept that the progress (or lack of) is a result of my responsibility. 

Yes a lot has changed with Foundation One.  But I'm getting stronger anyway.  So I'm not emotionally attached to the exercise.  I'm attached to the results.  Once you've mastered an exercise (yourself really) move on to the next level.  Not mastered? Demonstrate the mastery of yourself and move on.  Do the work and keep doing the work. 

Focus on the process and you'll see the progress.  Results are a better you not doing a specific exercise. 

Paul Gray

Great description Dan!  Seems I have been overdoing it and this explains why I have been regularly failing to complete some weeks workouts.  I need to find this sweet spot for adaption, this could be a whole thread in itself? 

Kevin Herring

Agreed Paul.  Dan, Jon, Ale' and many, many others have been instrumental in getting me to look for and see the sweet spot is much less work and be consistent.  If you're failing to complete the week (and I was) you've got to fix this. 

And to follow up, I'm not a holier-than-thou on my training.  Quite the opposite.  I've checked my records (and I encourage you to keep your own records apart from the program tracking) and when I was consistent with healthy eating I got leaner, when I was consistent with my training I got stronger, when I was consistent with stretching I got more flexible and back pain decreased.

When I was inconsistent I saw little to no progress.  Fact. 

Restarting with making sure I do everything once a week consistently is my highest priority now.  I'm learning to enjoy the journey and get better. 

Jeffrey Bailey
On 9/26/2016 at 5:36 PM, Cory Fair said:

If step 1 is easy, put it to step 9. A fourth smiley is added ("too easy") that will bump you up through a progression a bit faster than the one step per week.

I don't have a too easy smiley. Is that just me?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 10/4/2016 at 4:38 AM, Paul Gray said:

Great description Dan!  Seems I have been overdoing it and this explains why I have been regularly failing to complete some weeks workouts.  I need to find this sweet spot for adaption, this could be a whole thread in itself? 

 
 
 
 
 
 

Yeah, this had a lot to do with why I'm only now on PE2 after buying Foundations in August 2014. For at least the first 10-14 months I was trying to push way too hard. I sacrificed my form, but even with that I often felt that if I wasn't 'feeling' it I wasn't doing enough. I ended up inflaming my shoulder (on HS/PE1-im) and my right glute/piriformis (on the old SLS/PE3-im, what is now...PE5?). In any event, I'm making much steadier progress on all the elements, as well as on the stretch series--which I'm also getting around to finally dialing in and respecting them as stretches rather than workouts (even though they sure do make you feel it). What I've lost in time by not making much progress, as I could have been progressing much further through Foundation 1 and likely Foundation 2 (given that I know I have the build to be quite strong), I made up for by recognizing and slowly working to tame my ego and my pride and to dial both of them back. 

I'm much more conscious of what is a "feel the burn" pain versus what is an "uh-oh, that could turn into an injury" pain, and am much more conservative, as a result. Bumps and bruises still ensue, but nothing like before and nothing that takes me away from my training. Been on this level-headed focus for about 3-4 months now and I'm much further respective to having truly mastered earlier elements (in light of people noting that the 21/15 warmup should be a good barometer for mastery). Though some elements changed, I was never on PE2/PE3 for a majority of my progressions.

So, long story short (TL;DR) slow, steady, but consistent work is the best formula for progress and success, so long as one is conservative when concerns over form, recovery or workout intensity periodically are concerned.

Andreas Hartl

Hi,

first of, I apologize if that has been answered before, but I didn't find anything about it yet, so here goes:

I've been keeping track in my own Spreadsheet since before the old scheduler, but would like to switch to the new System now.

I just have a question about how to handle exercises where I can't progress at the speed of the 'Steps'. 

With most of the harder 60 seconds/reps exercises like ABR/HBR, once I get in the 40s or so, my progress slows down, and it's impossible for me to make the 12 seconds/reps jump to the next step from one week to the next. So until now just increased it in much smaller steps, like 5 seconds each week or so. Keeping track of that was no problem with my own Spreadsheet.

Now my question is how to handle this with the new System. If I understand it correctly, the system would now bounce me between steps from week to week, for example Week 1 I do 5x36, which is easy, so I'm getting bumped up to 48 the next week, which is impossible, so with the 'hard' smiley I'm getting back to 36, which is easy again, and so on.

So, for these exercises, does it perhaps even make sense to cycle between weeks where it's easy and weeks where I go to failure on some or all sets, or is it better to keep the small but steady increases in reps from week to week (and track them outside the system, only hitting the 'just right' smiley, so it doesn't bounce me up and down from week to week).

Or should I stay on one step for so long until it has become so easy that I can actually do the 20-30% more reps the next week?

I'm sure that all those ways will eventually get me to the 5x60, but I'd be glad to hear what you think is the most efficient way to reach it.

Alessandro Mainente

Simply use a smiley that permit you to hold the same number of sets x reps and work with the 5-6 second/reps jump. when you can do it with this additional sec/rep then add 5-6 sec/rep more and complete the assigned template. when compelted click to the appropriate smiley.

Patrik Schöllin
On 2016-10-05 at 1:03 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Simply use a smiley that permit you to hold the same number of sets x reps and work with the 5-6 second/reps jump. when you can do it with this additional sec/rep then add 5-6 sec/rep more and complete the assigned template. when compelted click to the appropriate smiley.

I have been wondering about the same thing myself. With this solution, we won't be able to use the follow along videos for that intermediate step :/

Samin Ishtiaq
57 minutes ago, Patrik Schöllin said:

I have been wondering about the same thing myself. With this solution, we won't be able to use the follow along videos for that intermediate step :/

If you really want to follow-on, you can always hit it's pause+rewind button.

I would just follow it's first Set, then ignore it for a bit while you do a few more reps. Then sync up with it again on it's third Set, say.

Bas Albinus

What's your recommendation for deload intervals and scale?
As deload is no longer a built in function I will put it in myself every other month. 
Every 3-4weeks?
Do half the reps/sec followed by full mobility set?
(I do f7 about 4times a week)

Thanks,
Bas

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Bas, actually F1 does not require deload anymore.

Yoon Sik Kim
On ‎2016‎년 ‎9‎월 ‎20‎일 at 7:21 AM, Coach Sommer said:

-  There will no longer be deload weeks built into the F1 programming.  As most F1 students are already performing deload level workouts due to their missed reps, sets and training days - why do they require a deload from their already permanent deload?

Coach Sommer, I can see your disappointment but i can also see that you have researched and studied hard for a long time. New changes really motivates me again. Thank you for all the efforts.

Joshua Hibbert

I saw mentioned that there would be a workout log as part of the feature of the new format.  Do you know when this will be available?  It will  be interesting to know how my training has been going.

Tanya Hill

Hi Joshua, 

Stay tuned as this feature is coming very soon. Tiding up the details. 

Thank you for your patience.