This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 Monday Updates/Confusion with new interface (merged)

Started by Gorjan Trivic, September 19, 2016 · 288 Replies · 18,798 Views

Coach Sommer
10 minutes ago, Keegan Yentsch said:

Coach, this could have been addressed already, but when I logged my workout this morning the "easy" emoji jumped me ahead a few steps, the "just right" emoji jumped me ahead one step (as did the "lack mobility" emoji), and the "hard" emoji stepped me back one step. This seems to be different than what you described in your post. Might you guys consider adding one more emoji (like "too hard" and making the "hard" emoji keep the step the same while the "too hard" would step it back a step?

But again, maybe your description is the updated smiley system.

Also, I couldn't access any videos for the new SLS vids. Will those be up shortly. 

Hi Keegan,

Good eye and thank you.  The programmers are working on a correction now.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
3 hours ago, Adrian Cox said:

It looks great and I think we all really appreciate the work that has gone into it.  

I know there are a few glitches and some fixes being uploaded but have I misunderstood or do the altered progressions on SLS and RC force an immediate purchase of Foundation 2?  

For example SLS/PE1 has become SLS/PE5 - so to progress past the first level of what I had started recently I now have to buy Foundation 2.

Is that correct?

 

Hi Adrian,

No, it means that you need to go back and master the new PE1, PE2, PE3 and PE4 as listed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mark Allen

Coach,

Thank you for the detailed explanation on your thinking behind the changes. I did my first session using the new interface and I think it works amazingly. I fell into the category of having the pacing/tempo very wrong, I used the follow along videos tonight, what a difference. Previosly I've been way too slow with the exercises, I guess trying to focus on really getting the form right, but as a result it was taking ages to do the an entire session and probably not getting all the benefits I could have.

Thanks to the GB team for the continued development you put into these course. My past experience with online services has been that normally you pay and then you're forgotten and any failings are left as they are, I've found this with a number of online services I purchased over the years, online training for my job, music lessons, training for other sports I've done. I've not come across another product with the level of commitment to their customers that you have, this is a 5 star services, seriously thank you.

Coach Sommer
1 hour ago, Alexander Egebak said:

The number is misleading. I rarely check my courses because I exactly what and how to do each day. And I am not alone. Some people have also quit training and are still included. Then there are the ones who do hybrids and therefore cannot log their workouts properly.

Personally, I have never been a fan of the workout planer. The more you use it, the longer time it takes to learn your workouts by heart. Eventually it will be time efficient to NOT use it. The planer is here to make sure that people are not completely lost from day one.

Hi Alexander,

Unfortunately the number is not misleading.  

And the vast majority of students only think they know exactly what to do and how to do it each day.  Hence the reason for the follow along videos now becoming the central focus of F1.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keegan Yentsch

Awesome, thanks Coach!

Robert Troia
1 minute ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hence the reason for the follow along videos now becoming the central focus of F1.

So just to clarify, this is the same method as was previously used in Pro+? I've always done my workouts following along with the Pro+ videos.

But looks like certain exercises have been moved to F2? i.e., I was up to 4x15 deck squats in F1 but now it will only allow me to go as high as 5x10?

Brandon Stickel
58 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Everyone,

- The new F1 format is now entirely centered around the follow along workout videos.  

Now your training is as simple as clicking play and then selecting a smiley face afterwards to reflect your level of proficiency in following the instructor led workout.

- The new format reflects the fact that nearly 70% of Foundation 1 students were unable to complete a single week of their training as they themselves scheduled the week.  Nearly 70%.

This results in THOUSANDS of customer support requests every single Monday morning, from students wondering why their workouts did not progress on to the next step.  Of course the reason was simple, the student failed to complete their previous week's workouts as they themselves scheduled them.  And they continue to do this each and every week.  And are equally shocked when they get the same result each and every week.

- The new format takes this into account and no longer requires a set weekly schedule to be officially entered into the system prior to beginning that week's training.

The workouts shown ARE NOT workouts assigned to a particular day or time or for performing in any particular order.  Note that there are no days of the week or consective numbers placed on any of the week's workouts.

Now you have total freedom and flexibility to create your own schedule.  Mix and match the various components in any way and in any order for that week as you choose.

Want to do F7 on a Monday?  You still can..  Simply do that week's core, lower and upper body workouts all in a row on a Monday.  Want to stretch afterwards?  Go ahead.  

Want to do it again on Thursday?  Again, go ahead.  The system now automatically tracks each and every workout which you do and the order in which you did it.

Can't handle that much volume in a single workout yet?  Now you have the flexibility to perform Core on Monday, Lower on Wedneday and Upper on Friday.  Want to do handstand and a stretch course on Tues and Thursday?  Go ahead.

You may perform the week's workouts in any order, on any day and as many times that week as you choose.  The system will show which workouts you have completed.

- The new format also reflects the fact that very few people have any idea whatsoever on how to perform their exercises correctly.  With proper form.  With proper tempo.  

Now that has been addressed.  Just click play.  All that needs to be done now is to follow along with the instructors exactly in terms of execution and tempo.

People who were previously stuck on a single element step for MONTHS AND MONTHS, now regularly find that this is reduced to weeks when they follow the follow along workout videos exactly.

The bottom line is that the vast majority of students were not working as hard as they thought they were.  They were resting too much.  They were skipping reps.  They were skipping sets.  They were using poor execution.  They were slopping their way thru their training, so of course they were getting sub-optimal results.

The follow along workouts correct these issues, by simply having your follow along and mimic the execution and tempos as shown.

- Yes, you still have reps and sets.  Your follow along workouts meticulously track reps and sets.  Your job is to follow the follow along videos - exactly.  

In your workout, if you are able to follow the tempo and technical execution of the instructors in the follow along video exactly, then mark it complete with a smiley face for easy.  Your next workout for that particular exercise will automatically progress to the next step.

Couldn't quite keep up or had some mobility issues, then mark the so-so smiley face in the middle and that particular step for that particular exercise will repeat itself again in your workout the following workout.  Same with marking the too hard smiley face.

- Need to scale a particular exercise?  Fine, you technical videos for that exercise and recommends for scaling are available in the log section which automatically appears when the video stops playing.

Just be sure to make that particular exercise in the log with the too hard smiley face while you continue working your way thru the scaled progressions for that element when training.

-  There will no longer be deload weeks built into the F1 programming.  As most F1 students are already performing deload level workouts due to their missed reps, sets and training days - why do they require a deload from their already permenant deload?

- Want the course front end materials explaining the mechanics of the GB programming?  Then simply click that front end link shown in the right hand column of that particular exercise on the workout log page that automatically appears when you stop the workout video.

- Far too many adults are unable to perform even a single rep of deck squat or hinge row when they initially commence training.  Their strength and mobility deficits are simply too great.  The new progressions and mobility elements have been set in place to address this.

- For reasons that I personally find quite amusing, far too many F1 students struggle with the exercise notations.  For reasons of keeping peace in the GB family and to prevent my going postal, exercise notations will now not com into the course interface until Foundation Two is reached on a particular exercise.

- The programming knowledge that was formerly required to immediately be grasped when beginning F1, will now gradually be introduced over the sequence of the Foundation Courses.  Full mastery of the course is now introduced by the time F4 is reached, not right of the gate with F1.

All of the above should help you to get started with the new course interface.

Use it.  Enjoy it.  It is quite literally the best in the world - follow along workout videos that progress and change as you progress and improve.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you for a well thought out and thorough explanation.  This would have made a great pre launch email.  Now I get it.

Cory Fair
8 minutes ago, Robert Troia said:

So just to clarify, this is the same method as was previously used in Pro+? I've always done my workouts following along with the Pro+ videos.

But looks like certain exercises have been moved to F2? i.e., I was up to 4x15 deck squats in F1 but now it will only allow me to go as high as 5x10?

Correct, same method.

New SLS progressions have been introduced to address an area many adults struggle with. Deck Squats are now PE5 and 10r mastery. :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
8 minutes ago, Cory Fair said:

Correct, same method.

New SLS progressions have been introduced to address an area many adults struggle with. Deck Squats are now PE5 and 10r mastery. :)

 
 

My patella and piriformis appreciate all the air squats and birddogs being included.

Kevin Chaussee

I had previously over programmed the heck out of F1.  I was just about to program F7 three times a week - um- I believe we had a bit too much freedom previously.  I probably would have done one or two workouts then changed it up again while continuously spinning my wheels.  I absolutely love the new interface.  I have absolutely no doubts that I will succeed in my training.  At age 47, I can't make many more mistakes. There is no guessing.  I just did my core work as recommended by coach.  It was awesome!!  Everything worked perfectly. As mapped out by coach Sommer's recommendation, I do core on Monday, Middle splits Tuesday, Legs and Front splits Wednesday, Upper body Thursday, Bridge and HS on Friday and Movement on Saturday.  This is awesome!!  I will be working on something a bit different every day without overtraining.  I don't feel like coach has abandoned us. On the contrary, he is recommending the proper work for our level of strength/mobility. I look forward to adhering to this well thought out programming!!  Thanks Coach and GB team!!!

Ryan Van Fleet
6 hours ago, Cameron Williams said:

So we are no longer logging specific numbers for f1? Just smiley faces?

 

I found that a bit off-putting too.

The flow does feel a bit better, but structure seems less clear than now than it was before.

Coach Sommer
6 minutes ago, Ryan Van Fleet said:

I found that a bit off-putting too.

The flow does feel a bit better, but structure seems less clear than now than it was before.

Hi Ryan,

Unnecessary redundancy.

If you are following the workout videos precisely, rep for rep and with correct tempo; then the correct reps and sets ARE being logged by the system.  You are simply no longer the one doing the logging.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keith Daniel

Coach,

I am still confused by a single point that I don't believe you addressed.

In the past you provided what I assumed was an "optimal combination" of the exercises. I took this recommendation and followed the videos second by second and loved the results. 

Now, I am tasked with combining the various categories to create my own workout. Which means I am using my "suboptimal knowledge" to put together the program rather than in the old system relying on your  experienced combinations.

To be clear I'm not talking about individual progressions, I'm talking about how the exercises were grouped together for me each week. 

I get that this is much easier to maintain technically, but it feels like a step backward for someone that religiously followed the routine and each of the videos.

Coach Sommer
8 minutes ago, Keith Daniel said:

Coach,

I am still confused by a single point that I don't believe you addressed.

In the past you provided what I assumed was an "optimal combination" of the exercises. I took this recommendation and followed the videos second by second and loved the results. 

Now, I am tasked with combining the various categories to create my own workout. Which means I am using my "suboptimal knowledge" to put together the program rather than in the old system relying on your  experienced combinations.

To be clear I'm not talking about individual progressions, I'm talking about how the exercises were grouped together for me each week. 

I get that this is much easier to maintain technically, but it feels like a step backward for someone that religiously followed the routine and each of the videos.

Hi Keith,

Actually you are incorrect.  There is no such thing as an optimal combination of exercises.  Over the past forty years I have successfully utilized more combinations then I could ever possibly count.

What I do try to do is to group your exercises together in a way that leads to the greatest progress with the least amount of confusion.  Hence the new F1 regrouping.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Andy Petranek

So now I have to actually use the video to do my workout in order to get the system to log my workout?  I regularly do not have internet connectivity where I train. I'm also quite focused when I train... watching a video DURING training is incredibly distracting... and at times impossible (because I don't have a 3rd hand to hold a phone or computer. Additionally, when I do train in the gym, it's loud... and I definitely will not be able to hear reps of a video.

I'd like to have the option of logging my workouts / reps manually. Can I do that with this new system? Is it just based on a :-) face? What does a :-) mean?  If I get all but the last rep, do I give it a :-)? Does that progress me to the next step? What actually progresses me from step to step and level to level?

 

 

Coach Sommer

Hi Andy,

Yes, in F1 you must use the follow along videos.

In F2 the process of teaching proper programming and schedules begins and is completed by F4.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Gonzalo Alcaraz

Thxs for all the clarification, Coach. Just have a question about the elimination of deload from F1...... If I happen to have been working out consistently and meeting all my objectives for a given cycle, should I still not do a deload week? As I understand it, it was eliminated from F1 because not working out consistently would eliminate the need for it, but if one were to actually follow the programming to the letter...

Andy Petranek

Thanks Coach...

How is proper programming and scheduling taught in the F2-F4? I don't see that or understand what you mean.

If I can't follow along with a video, will the system recognize a smiley face as a completed workout and progress me accordingly? Also can I mark both a :-) for completed but a :-( for mobility? If so, what does that do?

Michael Stanwyck

When I started it seems that, according to my own notes, that the hinge row was PE1 for the Rope Climb. That's what I did when I first tested mastery. Now it looks like it's PE5. Is that right? Are my notes accurate?

Coach Sommer
7 minutes ago, Andy Petranek said:

Thanks Coach...

How is proper programming and scheduling taught in the F2-F4? I don't see that or understand what you mean.

If I can't follow along with a video, will the system recognize a smiley face as a completed workout and progress me accordingly? Also can I mark both a :-) for completed but a :-( for mobility? If so, what does that do?

Hi Andy,

Remember as previously stated that the following along videos ARE NOT static videos, but are custom generated according to where you are in the GB programming progressions and steps.

The programming, steps and progressions haven't gone anywhere.  They still govern all your follow along workout video content.  It simply happens behind the scenes now with F1.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Michael Stanwyck
17 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Andy,

Yes, in F1 you must use the follow along videos.

In F2 the process of teaching proper programming and schedules begins and is completed by F4.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

It's really impractical for me to watch a video while I'm at they gym. Do I need to watch the video to complete the movement and submit my progress?

Coach Sommer

Hi Michael,

Yes, you must.  This is a new requirement for F1 and is non-negotiable.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
5 minutes ago, Michael Stanwyck said:

When I started it seems that, according to my own notes, that the hinge row was PE1 for the Rope Climb. That's what I did when I first tested mastery. Now it looks like it's PE5. Is that right? Are my notes accurate?

Hi Michael,

Yes, that is accurate.

Please read the rest of the discussion before posting new questions as this question has already been addressed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Patrick Rentz
4 minutes ago, Michael Stanwyck said:

It's really impractical for me to watch a video while I'm at they gym. Do I need to watch the video to complete the movement and submit my progress?

I think they are requiring it because people aren't using the right tempo/rest in order to make good progress.

As far as whether or not the system literally requires you to click on and view the video in order to log progress, or will accept just the smiley face input, I don't know.

IMO, read between the lines...

Coach Sommer
19 minutes ago, Gonzalo Alcaraz said:

Thxs for all the clarification, Coach. Just have a question about the elimination of deload from F1...... If I happen to have been working out consistently and meeting all my objectives for a given cycle, should I still not do a deload week? As I understand it, it was eliminated from F1 because not working out consistently would eliminate the need for it, but if one were to actually follow the programming to the letter...

Hi Gonzalo,

You will need to progress to F2 in order to get the deload back!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer