This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 Monday Updates/Confusion with new interface (merged)

Started by Gorjan Trivic, September 19, 2016 · 288 Replies · 18,798 Views

Cory Fair

Technical issues go to support. Chances are, we are already working on a particular issue.

Julia Quigley
6 minutes ago, Gonzalo Alcaraz said:

Im liking the changes so far, and Im guessing once the calendar gets implemented they will make a ton more sense.

One thing that called my attention though is the lack of the whole "GB Course Structures" and such section. You know, the chunks of text that explained how the courses work, lists of rep schemes, etc. I know most of them by heart now, but Im guessing some newcomers could benefit from that. Also, what happened to the training schemes? I was doing the F1 2day split 3 times a week, but now the course suggests I do each "area" once a week? Im kind of confused by that...

 
 

In the tutorial video Corey says the recommendations are Coach's recommendations for beginners (which isn't clear on the text of the site) . If you were doing more, you still can. Just click core and then legs one day, core and then upper body one day, and then core and legs the third day (or whatever most closely resembles your prior split). 

Tyson Rogers

I'm interested if there is some new information that has informed this decision- for instance, working one area of the body 1x per week might be better than some of our previous schedules- similar to how coach recommends each stretch series 1x per week?

 

I realize that we can still do more if we want, obviously no one is stopping us, but I am interested in knowing if this is an approach worth trying because coach has realized it can be helpful for progress, etc. 

 

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Matic Balantic

If you were progressing with your old schedule, keep doing what you were doing. The problem is that most people is not consistent with their workouts so for them less is more. It is more important to be consistent then have full schedule of missed workouts.

Yes, RC progressions have changed.

Gary MacLeod

I'm looking for some general idea of proper usage of the smiley faces.

I just did Bent Hollow Body Rocks 4x48r as the exercise. I did 48, 36, 30, 30. I am unsure if this means it should go down as 'Hard' or as 'Just right'? If I managed to do all of them as 48 reps, would that be 'Easy' or only 'Easy' if it was genuinely no struggle and I could have kept going for more?

Also, when should 'Lack Mobility' be used? Should this only be clicked after I have completed say Step 9, but I want to halt progress to the next exercise until my mobility is in line for advancement too? The same way we would uncheck the mobility completed box in the old layout?

Cory Fair
6 hours ago, Gary MacLeod said:

I'm looking for some general idea of proper usage of the smiley faces.

I just did Bent Hollow Body Rocks 4x48r as the exercise. I did 48, 36, 30, 30. I am unsure if this means it should go down as 'Hard' or as 'Just right'? If I managed to do all of them as 48 reps, would that be 'Easy' or only 'Easy' if it was genuinely no struggle and I could have kept going for more?

Also, when should 'Lack Mobility' be used? Should this only be clicked after I have completed say Step 9, but I want to halt progress to the next exercise until my mobility is in line for advancement too? The same way we would uncheck the mobility completed box in the old layout?

Easy - bumps up one step next week

Just right - stays at current step

Too hard - dials you back one step

Mobility - advances but won't let you pass mastery

Prasan Samtani

How do you access the workout scheduler now? The dashboard shows me a set of courses I have access to, but no way to see what I'm supposed to do today.

Patrick Rentz
22 minutes ago, Tyson Rogers said:

I'm interested if there is some new information that has informed this decision- for instance, working one area of the body 1x per week might be better than some of our previous schedules- similar to how coach recommends each stretch series 1x per week?

 

I realize that we can still do more if we want, obviously no one is stopping us, but I am interested in knowing if this is an approach worth trying because coach has realized it can be helpful for progress, etc. 

 

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My guess is the suggestions 1x per week are for absolute beginners and to encourage consistency. I usually do all 7 elements in one day, but I found that sometimes I would split them up into like body parts if I didn't have much time, so sPL, HBP and RC on one day, FL, SL, MN, on the other day. This is essentially what they've done with "core" and "upper body," which is very beginner friendly and intuitive in the sense that most people have done these sorts of splits in the weight room.

Coaches can correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt there is some huge difference in how helpful it is for progress. Maybe it's like 2% better. I think the overwhelming factor instead of how you split them up is getting everything in 1-2x/week, week in, week out. Does it really matter if you switch RC for MN on some days if you have access to different equipment? Probably not.

Tanya Hill

Hi Guys, 

The GB team is working fast and hard to get the fine details smoothed to perfection.

Changes can throw us out of our daily routine and can be hard to adjust too. 

Looking on the bright side the new interface will still log your progress and bump you up to the next progression based on your smiley face. You can choose to do as many workouts as you'd like to do per day. If you miss a day you don't have to worry about going back and logging the day you missed, the system will keep you updated. A huge help. 

Its as simple now as logging in and clicking the workout you want to do and click the smiley face on how you did. The system on the back end will keep track of your training and keep moving you forward. There will be a calendar coming soon where you can see an overview of your past workouts. 

GymnasticBodies is always growing for the better. Your feedback is important to us and we appreciate you. 

 

Marcus Patterson

Another question that I have also is do we have to do mastery every time we begin a new step like before?

Tanya Hill

Matthew, 

Great question.

By clicking on the smiley face your progressions will continue to increase, by Coach Sommer's standards.

However if you 'do not' click the smiley face at all you will continue to have to same core workout. 

Adam Blake
42 minutes ago, Tanya Hill said:

Matthew, 

Great question.

By clicking on the smiley face your progressions will continue to increase, by Coach Sommer's standards.

However if you 'do not' click the smiley face at all you will continue to have to same core workout. 

Oh that's good to know....not clicking will keep you at the same level.

Charlie McElvy

@Tanya Hill -- I'm totally confused by this new system. How do I know what progressions I'm supposed to use for each Foundation One goal? For example, what are my progressions for Side Lever? Manna? Pistol/Single-Leg Squat? This isn't readily apparent. HALP! :blink:

Tanya Hill

Hi Marcus, 

If the exercises are to easy, this can be changed under settings. 

Marcus Patterson

Thanks for that. Sometimes you probably won´t know it´s too easy til you try, but then in which case you would go in and change it manually rather than working through and clicking too easy, correct?

Charlie McElvy
1 hour ago, Cory Fair said:

Technical issues go to support. Chances are, we are already working on a particular issue.

I can say with experience that GB is definitely working to fix any and all issues from a technical perspective. Thank you, @Cory Fair and Dev Team!

Tanya Hill

Hi Charlie, 

Confusion is ok, look at the new Interface like an exercise! When a new exercise is introduced to the body you have to learn how it feels, what muscles to engage, where your body it at in space.

The system behind the scene's still customizes the workouts for you. For example under daily workouts click on 'Upper Body' and you will see the workouts for Straddle Planche, Rope Climb, and Hollow Back Press. When you click the smiley face, the progression will change based on how you did.  

Hope that is helpful @Charlie McElvy We are here to make sure everyone is taken care, so keep the questions coming. 

 

Charlie McElvy

I think I see what we've got going on here, and I'll give it a solid week before I post any criticism. So far, it's kinda nice to be able to just do a walk-thru, but it's not as nice as being able to download and plan ahead which was really helpful for when I travel.

Janne Mäkiniemi

Is Ground row mastery template now upped to 5x15r? Looking at F1 page it seems to say 5x15r. Just wondering because in the workout given to me, gnd rows seems to follow 5x10r template (like it previously did, if I'm correct)

Otherwise, I really like the new look. Previously I've been using excel to track workouts, but this update seems convenient enough to change for the GB site :)

Cameron Williams

So we are no longer logging specific numbers for f1? Just smiley faces?

 

Tanya Hill

Great question @Tyson Rogers lets ask @Cory Fair how deload works with the smiley faces. 

For your workout today, log with the smiley face that fits you. Easy, Hard, Just right, etc. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
57 minutes ago, Cameron Williams said:

So we are no longer logging specific numbers for f1? Just smiley faces?

 

 
 
 

Seems so, Cam.

 

I, too, was a fan of the numbers game and counting specific reps (as I could go from 51 reps to 52 reps from one workout to the next and know that I was improving). It seems that they've curved the intensity of the program because a lot of people didn't have good enough discipline to follow through with the workouts they scheduled because life or laziness got in the way. (I mean, I hear that argument, but I also know alarm clocks work at 5 am.) Anyways, coming back to the point, a lot of the upgrades seem tailor-made for the crying crowd who weren't getting it in and couldn't make substantial progress. And when the bottom line is at stake changes came about. Cory and everyone else are kicking ass, and I'm sure they're just luxuriating over everyone's initial gripes at the product changes--in particular with the update only having come out 5 hours ago. Nevertheless, @Coach Sommer and @Cory Fair made some very profound changes to both SLS and other elements and areas. So, while initially off-setting that progress might be shifted or stalled, or left unclear (regarding the smiley faces and the bit of ambiguity) regarding how it all works from first glance I think some of the complaints are a bit impulsive. I was annoyed and confused at first, too, but I figured it out after about 45 minutes of clicking around and toying with it. I think giving the new interface a test-run for a few days and giving-it-ago might fare well for folks, and for now, let it be time just to make sense of the exercises. Progress is progress. So, vibing out whether it's easy, the right amount of intensity, or damn hard seems intuitive enough (I mean you just have to think about it for a second, though, that might be asking a lot of some people). 

 

I think that a lot of the changes are quite helpful and intelligent, and people should just get into the workouts for a few days before rattling off too many questions and concerns without first test-driving the new interface. 

Ching Yin Leung
12 minutes ago, Keegan Yentsch said:

One last question is in regards to logging Thrive "tasks." I am on the last step of Thrive 1, so I guess it's not that crucial that I click off the tasks (have all previous tasks pretty much memorized and habituated at this point anyways), but I was unable to access the dashboard to do so when I tried to earlier.

The check off is available if you go to the top drop down menu tab "Nutrition > Tasks". If you're already in workout mode, the right side menu has "Nutrition Tasks" as well.

Or you can go directly to https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/#nutrition-tasks

You may need to log out and back in again to see some changes.

Chris Garay
1 hour ago, Keith Daniel said:

Does this mean you no longer value the concept of a defined program?

Hi @Keith Daniel, I imagine that Coach would say that he believes in defining a program as much as is necessary, but no further. The new interface offers exactly the information that you need to progress. Other details, such as which day of the week you train one element vs. another, are secondary to making progress, and the new interface allows for that greater flexibility in scheduling.

32 minutes ago, Neil Evans said:

I'm feeling the same way. Feels like the coach is on vacation and we now have to be our own coach again. I liked the structure of knowing what I was going to throughout the week. Could plan around it. Feels like the structure is gone. 

Hi @Neil Evans, to my eye, the new interface has all the same exercises (actually it has more), and they are organized into even better groupings (Upper, Lower, Core). Not sure what you mean that the structure is gone. The sets and reps are still there, as well as the logical progression of exercises based on positions of advantageous leverage.

Chris Garay

Also, a little tongue-in-cheek here, but for anyone complaining about the new changes... you clearly haven't tried to do 5 sets of 60 seconds in the Bent-Arm Chin Hang ;) The fact that RC/PE6 is now a 30-second element supersedes any and all other changes that were made. :D

Best,

Chris