This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to test for Mastery Simplified

Started by Luke Searra, September 28, 2014 · 44 Replies · 6,666 Views

Peter Lavoie

When testing for mastery, is there a recommended level of ease doing the sets/reps for week 11? Do you feel it's better to stay with an exercise until week 11 can be done with, lets say, one set left in the tank, or once we pass the mastery test, even if it is squeaking by with some big shakes and short breath, we move on?

Joshua Slocum

Your best bet is to video yourself. As long as every rep of every set passes muster, you're golden. It doesn't matter how tired you feel so long as you're performing good, clean reps. Chances are that if you're shaking and feel like you "squeezed by", your form probably deteriorated into the "unacceptable" range some time in the set.

Peter Lavoie

Thanks for the answers, they also make me realize that I could have done a better job describing what I meant. Joshua your answer addresses what I wanted to ask: if the reps are clean and good and you complete the set at mastery, you move on. Are there situations where you would stick with that movement for another four week cycle just to get stronger at it? (usually when I complete a week 11 at mastery for the first time, it gives me some pleasant muscle soreness, and I am definitely breathing hard by the end - I know that to do it for a few more weeks would probably be beneficial).

 

Another reason I ask is that through listening to Coach Summers on podcast, he mentions he keeps his athletes on the same exercise until it is something they could almost do in their sleep before he gives them the O.K. to move on. Personally, I'm in this program for long term body benefits and, in the short term, strength and movement potential. I don't mind sticking with an exercise longer if it will help round off strength/mobility more along the way.

 

Curious to hear if you guys stick with some exercises for another cycle after mastery and your thought process behind it.

 

Thanks!

vannybute

Stick it in warmup.

Jon Douglas
Peter Lavoie said:

Thanks for the answers, they also make me realize that I could have done a better job describing what I meant. Joshua your answer addresses what I wanted to ask: if the reps are clean and good and you complete the set at mastery, you move on. Are there situations where you would stick with that movement for another four week cycle just to get stronger at it? (usually when I complete a week 11 at mastery for the first time, it gives me some pleasant muscle soreness, and I am definitely breathing hard by the end - I know that to do it for a few more weeks would probably be beneficial).

 

Another reason I ask is that through listening to Coach Summers on podcast, he mentions he keeps his athletes on the same exercise until it is something they could almost do in their sleep before he gives them the O.K. to move on. Personally, I'm in this program for long term body benefits and, in the short term, strength and movement potential. I don't mind sticking with an exercise longer if it will help round off strength/mobility more along the way.

 

Curious to hear if you guys stick with some exercises for another cycle after mastery and your thought process behind it.

 

Thanks!

Yes, I do. Most notably with static holds.

It's a case of prioritising getting stronger over advancing faster, which we've discussed pretty thoroughly before :)

Cole Dano

Another good clue that you 'rushed it' is the next element totally kicks your butt.

Freeflyer
Cole Dano said:

Another good clue that you 'rushed it' is the next element totally kicks your butt.

Sometimes I find the next element significantly easier.  Such as MN/PE2 vs MN PE3. 

John Hagley

So what happens if you do the test, and you have the exercise mastered, but you can't do the integrated mobility?

Coach Sommer
John Hagley said:

So what happens if you do the test, and you have the exercise mastered, but you can't do the integrated mobility?

 

Then you fail.

 

Both the exercise and the paired iM must be mastered together in order to move forward.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nick Hamilton
Coach Sommer said:

Then you fail.

 

Both the exercise and the paired iM must be mastered together in order to move forward.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

While this make sense, I am curious how you know the ROM for the iM is good enough to pass for mastery or not. Do we need to match every ROM from the iM videos? 

Cole Dano

If in doubt, post a form check. Zach Armijo is Head of Online Coaching, and is very actively following form checks. If he gives you a thumbs up you can be sure you've done it right.

 

Same goes for the other moderators, all have been around for a long time and are vetted by Coach Sommer.

 

There's a reason this is the best GST forum in the world. Quality guidance is here.

Tobias Akeblom

Is it acceptable to do like this:

 

Say i feel really good about a certain progression. Is it ok to warm up and then just test that progression as a stand alone training session or must it be in the context of a full GB-workout.

Luke Searra

Please can you elaborate Tobias

Itamar sha'ashuaS

I have a question. Does mastery when doing the F3/4 schedule is count? It'll probably be easier to master elements like that, but in the end the mastery of Foundation series is an F7 workout..

What do you think?

Tobias Akeblom
Zach Armijo said:

If I am interpreting it right, then no, you cannot just test Mastery for one element at a time, dedicated to its own session. You will have to run through the whole F7 breakdown in one go. 

That answers my question.

OmenA
Zach Armijo said:

If I am interpreting it right, then no, you cannot just test Mastery for one element at a time, dedicated to its own session. You will have to run through the whole F7 breakdown in one go. 

 

 

Itamar sha said:

I have a question. Does mastery when doing the F3/4 schedule is count? It'll probably be easier to master elements like that, but in the end the mastery of Foundation series is an F7 workout..

What do you think?

 

I need to figure this out. Sorry if this has been answered a million times before.

I'm currently doing 3 days split schedule and all elements are on the same week. Can I test mastery for FL,sPL,HBP and RC on one training session and the rest on another day OR do I have to do a full F7 session for mastery test?

Hope you guys understand my point :)

vinca_minor

Don't change your schedule just to test mastery.

Denis Franke

I'd like to ask another Question about the "ease" of an exercise.

If I really have to fight the last reps I think  its not mastery.

 

So what do I do, if I master the reps + sets but not the form/ease?

 

As it is about week 11, should I deload in week 12 and then repeat week 11 until it works nice and easy? Then it sounds a little bit like 'steady state', which should not be used in the first F1 progressions.

 

Or can there be an advantage in doing the whole month (e.g week 9-11) - although its a lower volume then ... but perhaps better for mastering the technique, get better ROM and motor control.

 

Or should I do some higher reps or sets, so that mastery level feels easyer.

 

Or the 50% days ...

 

 

So I'm a little confused right now. Probably read to much and tried too few ;)

 

It would be great to get some structure in my thoughts if possible. And I will definetly try different things on my own.

 

 

Btw. the exercise I'm talking about are the Hollow Body Holds.

 

Eva Jou

Hi Denis, 

It looks like your question got lost in cyber space. I'll give it a try. New comer here with a professional movement background and some commons sense (which is very rare these days).

 

I'd say "form" is a non-negotiable in order to achieve mastery.

 

Actually, form comes first before reps and sets. Always learn and apply proper technique. Period. Then, work your way up to increase you reps/time and sets according to program guidelines. 

 

What's the benefit doing something incorrectly for the perfect number of reps, (or worse) longer or for more reps? None. It's a hindrance. You actually end up training bad habits and faulty motor patter that will interfere with further learning and could get you injured down the line, just to name a few. 

 

It depends what you mean by "fighting". Nothing wrong with fighting in good form. In my experience, when people say they're fighting for the last rep (or seconds)… they usually already lost their movement integrity 2-3 reps prior (best case scenario). 

 

You were asking about thought structure:

 

Good form should be the one constant, if we're to achieve mastery. FIRST QUALITY, then quantity/load/speed and other variables. 

 

Suggestion: in your next training session, zero in your attention to form, not numbers. If you perceive that your structure shifts or falls apart to ANY noticeable degree… STOP. That's your threshold of competency (reps/sets) for that day/movement. Use that as your new baseline. I would continue to train at that rep range (or seconds). See what week those numbers fall in your F1 template and stay there prior to progressing to more reps/time. 

 

If I'm understanding the GB system correctly, you can stay at whatever week number as many weeks as necessary, as long as you deload every 4 weeks. Meaning week 9 or 10 could take you 3 weeks. But I would like to hear what a coach says, as I'm new to the system. 

 

Cheers and good training!

Ben Neal
On 7/10/2015 at 10:07 PM, Coach Sommer said:

 

Then you fail.

 

Both the exercise and the paired iM must be mastered together in order to move forward.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

In this case do you repeatedly cycle weeks 9 - 12 until you get it or do you repeat week 11 every workout + deload week until mastery?

Mathew Cornell

Hey guys 

my name is mat I have been street workout for last few years and have recently started doing the foundation series to improve a lot on my weaknesses and correct form.

 I wanted ask if testing mastery on rope climb for example and you end up on PE8 and for manna you still are stuck on the first progression is that considered wrong because of the imbalance of strength, are supposed to be progressing at the same rate?

thanks Mat 

Si Hoang

Hi Matthew.

it's quite normal to be on different progressions for each of the Foundation elements and to even progress at different rates on all of them.

Good luck with your training!

Mathew Cornell
On April 2, 2016 at 2:05 AM, Si Hoang said:

Hi Matthew.

it's quite normal to be on different progressions for each of the Foundation elements and to even progress at different rates on all of them.

Good luck with your training!

Thanks Si for clarifying that 

Denis Franke
On 7.2.2016 at 9:33 PM, Eva Pelegrin said:

...

Thanks for your answer.

I just found a post from you, which gets some things clear again for me, too.

Marcus Patterson

Hi all, brand new to this program and it is pretty confusing at first glance!

To test mastery before I begin, do I just click on the mastery testing button , is that what takes me to week 11?

I was trying to move the weeks along in the scheduler but it only seemed to allow me to move forward one week. 

Another question. I want to go to my gym to train this, but how can I do this and still be able to remember all elements of strength and mobility for each exercise plus keeping form correct , without being able to watch the videos at home on the pc? I can print the schedule sheet but obviously this just shows only the names of each progression , not what each progression is.

Once completed the mastery test, how do I go to week 3/5/9 etc to check what each progression is at that phase?

 

sorry lots of newbie questions. If this has been covered just point me in the right direction with a link if you would be so kind. :)