This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to test for Mastery Simplified

Started by Luke Searra, September 28, 2014 · 44 Replies · 6,666 Views

Gabor Kulcsar
On 03/03/2016 at 9:19 AM, Ben Neal said:

In this case do you repeatedly cycle weeks 9 - 12 until you get it or do you repeat week 11 every workout + deload week until mastery?

I'm about to repeat the last cycle of RC/PE1, did two sessions at 5x15 (since I'm on a F3/4 split), the first session was acceptable quality all the way through, but the second session I was really struggling with the last set - lost quality/tempo at around rep 8. I think I did not recover fully from the previous session during the week.

After the deload I'm planning to repeat the 5x15 sessions, but will always stop the last set where I feel to start the real struggle (form breaks or I need rest during the set). 5x12 and 4x15 are no longer a challenge, so that's why I will try to stick with 5x15(ish) again and again. I hope the number of reps in the last set will increase week after week. If I can't complete the number of reps planned I will not advance the next week.

So the plan is to do 4x15, then for the last set something like:

- week1: 10 (easy), 10 (moderate)

- week2: 12 (moderate), 12 (moderate)

- week3: 15 (moderate), 15 (hard - this being the real mastery test)

I will see how it goes and if my recovery suffers. I guess this is the point where everyone responds differently to training stimulus and will have to adapt to her/his own body...

Josh Shaw

What do you do if you have mastered the strength element but still need work on the integrated mobility?  When you log your workouts, do you uncheck the "I Completed All Mobility" box?  Do you just keep repeating step 9 each week until you get it?  I have a couple things where I've mastered the strength element, but I think I need to improve my range of motion a bit more on the integrated mobility.

Guido Franchetti

First, do not move to the next PE if you have not mastered the mobility! Hence, uncheck the box if the PE is at step 9 (If not, the technique in your PE and iM are good and you only lack ROM, you may want to tick it so that the step of the PE progresses).

Popular alternatives involve

- Repeating the step for a week.
- Repeating the block (step 7 - 8 - 9).
- It is not your case, but if it is the strength element which is not mastered, inserting intermediate goals (in terms of reps or durations)  in between steps 8 and 9.

If you think mobility will hold you there for a while I would repeat the block.

Whatever you do, deload every fourth week.

Josh Shaw

Thanks for the response.  I'm on step 9 for MN/PE1.  I haven't posted a form check yet (I will at some point this week), but I think my technique is good on the PE.  On the iM, I think my technique is good, but I might need to work on a bit more ROM.  Same goes for HS/PE1, I've completed step 9 with good technique, but I want to work on getting a little more ROM on the iM before I move on to PE2.

Timothy Brodeur
On 7/10/2015 at 2:07 PM, Coach Sommer said:

 

Then you fail.

 

Both the exercise and the paired iM must be mastered together in order to move forward.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I actually have the same question as Nicholas above:  When is ROM "good enough"? 

 

I'm finishing sPL PE1 and feel pretty good at 15 reps.  However, I'm really struggling with the swivel hips on one side.  I've been trying to work other stretches and mobility movements to help, but I feel like it could be months before I"m perfect on this mobility (if ever).  I'm guessing by that time the primary movement will be VERY easy for me.

Is there ever a time where you'd move on without totally dialing the associated mobility?

Luke Searra

Hello Timothy, thank you for the great post. Good job on being so consistent in your training. There is never a time when you should move on without dialing in the paired mobility because the hole  in preparation will very likely lead to a future injury. Please just keep plugging away and doing what youre doing until the mobility on your less mobile side is up to par. Once again amazing discipline and consistency - absolutely keep it up.

Timothy Brodeur
21 hours ago, Luke Searra said:

Hello Timothy, thank you for the great post. Good job on being so consistent in your training. There is never a time when you should move on without dialing in the paired mobility because the hole  in preparation will very likely lead to a future injury. Please just keep plugging away and doing what youre doing until the mobility on your less mobile side is up to par. Once again amazing discipline and consistency - absolutely keep it up.

Thanks for the response, Luke.  I'll keep working it.  I guess the good news is that I'll get really strong with the scapular shrugs.  I'll likely post a video on the hip swivels thread and see if I can get some more guidance on how to improve this movement.

 

Thanks again!

Luke Searra

Absolutely Timothy, extra scapular strength will only be a long term advantage in ALL movements for sure. We will be waiting for the video update.

Michael Stanwyck

Question for tuck up. Let's say I can do 5x15 (I can't, I'm doing between 10-15), but my thighs don't touch my chest, not even one. Should I enter 0 reps in my log?

Everett Carroll

No. Enter the number of reps you do, even if your form isn't mastery quality yet, and continue working on the movement until your form is adequate. By the time you build to 5x15r, it's quite possible that you will have proper form. 

Michael Stanwyck
51 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

No. Enter the number of reps you do, even if your form isn't mastery quality yet, and continue working on the movement until your form is adequate. By the time you build to 5x15r, it's quite possible that you will have proper form. 

 

Got it, thanks.

Niklas Vange
On 23 oktober 2015 at 8:29 AM, Tobias Åkeblom said:

That answers my question.

 

On 15 december 2015 at 10:07 AM, Elias Lehtinen said:

 

 

 

 

I need to figure this out. Sorry if this has been answered a million times before.

I'm currently doing 3 days split schedule and all elements are on the same week. Can I test mastery for FL,sPL,HBP and RC on one training session and the rest on another day OR do I have to do a full F7 session for mastery test?

Hope you guys understand my point :)

I'm still trying to figure this out too. I'm doing Foundation 1 3 times a week and have progressed significantly. 

 

That being said - now I'm reading here that every mastery testing needs to be done in a F7 setting - which is obviously harder, at least when it comes to mastering the last exercise of the workout. 

 

Could someone clarify? Do I need to backtrack and re-test for mastery?

 

 

Maksis Riley

Just test mastery in the current template you are working with. I may be wrong but I think what you have heard is in regards to official testing for GB Trainer status. In that case it is an F7 setting I believe.

 

Max

Everett Carroll

Like @Maksis Riley said, stick with your current template. No need to backtrack.

Kevin Ngawhau

This is probably going to sound like a really dumb question, but what is a F7 setting?

Everett Carroll

F7 is referring to training all 7 Foundation elements in one session.

Kevin Ngawhau

@Everett Carroll ah of course... makes sense thank you!

Jen Wright

What's the best way to log a set where I'm using an aid to get the movement done?  When I do deck squats, my ankles don't have the flexibility yet to get back on my feet, so I roll onto a 4inch raised deck (for now) so that I can still do the movement.  I don't want the program to think I'm doing it correctly and advance me when clearly I will need to gradually move closer to doing it on the floor.  I'm new and not used to the software yet :)  Thanks!

Mark Anderson

Jen:

Several available strategies:

1. IF you are working through the Steps at the current elevation, AND expect to stay on Step 9 (5x15r), just mark the last set as having only completed 14 reps.  That will keep you on Step 9 as you gradually lower the elevation.

2. IF you are working through the Steps at the current elevation, AND you expect to have to drop back a few Steps at a lower elevation, mark the last set as 14 reps, and use the Dashboard to reset you Step appropriately.

3. IF you are staying at Step 1 (3x3r, and possibly adding in extra sets) as I did during this process, just mark the last set as 2 reps. That will keep you on that set until you mark all 3 as complete.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Jen Wright

Thanks Mark, that's exactly what I needed to know!  Jen.