Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Have my rounded shoulders helped my planche scapula protraction?

Charlie Martin

Charlie Martin

Hi there,

Look, I know rounded shoulders won't do me many (or any) favours in the long run and I assure you I am currently doing shoulder mobility work to fix this issue.

However, I can't help but think that scapula protraction during planche looks similar to what my chest and back look like when I stand normally.

My view is that, basically, people with non-rounded shoulders have to consciously get that concave in their chest when they protract during planche... whereas people with rounded shoulders are kind of automatically in that position (they don't have to make as much of an adjustment)?

Does that make sense?

I feel like this is a potentially very silly question, but thanks in advance for the replies!

Jesus Rojas

Hi Kuboy ! Is your planche exceptionally good ? From my point of view it wont help you, is different to have rounded shoulders than being able to reach full protraction while supporting your BW in a disadvantage position. And also you need to depress hard too. 

Jon Douglas

I can't see this helping you; I know it can be a symptom of too much protraction-based work without balance, especially advanced ring strength, but haven't heard of the cause/effect relationship going the opposite way.

I mean, maybe your ROM is better than someone with no protraction ability, but would this actually add or predispose you to increased strength? Will probably require Coach to answer this one.

Zach I know also had a boxers shoulders prior to GST, he may have some anecdotes